Is SKYFALL the best Bond film ever? *POTENTIAL SPOILERS*

Comments

I thought it was better than CR, not sure if I think it's better than GE. I did spot a few cool references.

My only problems with the film were the gunbarrel, the CGI in some scenes and I felt like Silva and (especially) Severine were under used.

Other than that it was brilliant. I'm not sure where to put it on my list though.

I'll give you the CGI but overall I thought that was relitively minor. Let's not forget that for the 40th anniversary CG was rather more prevelant :p

I LOVE the nod they made to GE early on haha.
  • The CGI was no where near as bad as DAD, but it did seem pretty fake in some scenes. They are minor problems though.

I liked the GE reference but
    No exploding pens, but an Aston with an ejector seat and machine guns is fine is it Q? :P
    The CGI was no where near as bad as DAD, but it did seem pretty fake in some scenes. They are minor problems though.

No exploding pens, but an Aston with an ejector seat and machine guns is fine is it Q? :P

Ha!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'm still putting OHMSS as my no. 1 but it's the score that is just edging it for me, this definitely tops Royale which was my 2nd place.

Maybe if Bond 24 is better it will take the no. 1 spot but OHMSS is such a special film and Barry's score is pretty much unbeatable in the action film scoring arena.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 655
    i think its the best just because of the plot. spoiler.
    m dies, that will never happen again, and she was under attack and in danger. how can they top that now????
    i think its the best just because of the plot. spoiler.
    m dies, that will never happen again, and she was under attack and in danger. how can they top that now????

Bond dies. The ending to end all endings.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited October 2012 Posts: 23,536
    IMO SF is a tremendous Bond film. I'm much more enthusiastic about this film than I was four years ago when walking out the theatre after QOS thinking of nothing but the flaws. Though SF isn't entirely flawless in my book, I keep thinking about the tons of things that make it such a great Bond film so that's positive for sure. The best of the Bonds, though, I choose to say isn't SF. But then I automatically gravitate more towards a couple of the older ones for that: GE, OHMSS, FRWL... Still, this is top 6 or 7 material for me and over a total of 23 (or even 25) Bonds i don't think that's a bad thing. ;-)
    i am becoming to find it hte best. Its certainly daniel craigs top film, like pierce brosnans goldeneye.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    i am becoming to find it hte best. Its certainly daniel craigs top film, like pierce brosnans goldeneye.

You see, I choose not to agree with that. CR is still ever so slightly a better film IMO. The puns, the dialogues, the flow of the story, the novelty of the Craig Bond and of course the smart plot which is primarily owed to Fleming's genius - they all combine into a solid number 1 spot for CR in the Craig era. That said, SF is a very - very close second.
  • Not sure, have to see it a few more times. But it's definitely top 3 together with CR and OHMSS.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The CGI was no where near as bad as DAD, but it did seem pretty fake in some scenes. They are minor problems though.

Whishaw's Q didn't trick out Bond's db5. It's likely the previous quarter master did.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 4,622
    I think SF is likely to easily be the best of the Craig era and maybe for a long time going forward too, much the way FRWL, GF and TB set the bar so very high early, with the original series.
    I hesitate to compare the nu-Bond-verse with the old Bond-verse. The new films have a different kind of vibe, so I am reluctant to compare the two series. But SF should blow both CR and QoS out of the water based on what I've seen and heard.
    But if one must compare the two series, nothing is going to top TB, FRWL, DN, GF, YOLT or DAF for me. Honorable mention to OHMSS. Everything that's been done since, IMO are basically big-budget energetic homages to the original masterpieces and the original Bond.
    Skyfall is amazing, it was worth waiting four years!
    It is certainly right up there with the best of them!
  • i told some of you guys it would be the best. i know all of you dont agree and im still thinking about it. But skyfall is a cracker. lol
  • Just got back from seing it. Amazing. Silva was the best baddy for years and had me and my mate talking Oscar noms. Reminded me of Joker in The Dark Knight but with a much more fleshed out back story.
    Action, music, acting...all top notch. Cinema was full to every last seat and listening to people walking out it seems the concensus was unanimous that it was a triumph.
    Was so great sat with a full cinema of kids, teenagers, middle aged people like myself and old couples all enjoying a Bond film so much
  • For me it boils down to a) whether or not they have they are able to capture the inspiration/greatness of the best films of the 60s heyday, b) assuming they are able to do a) will they have the creative freedom/balls to do it? and c) will the music hold up to the great Barry scores of old. So far none of these things have appeared possible (though QoS came close in some regards), but Skyfall has me hoping despite myself...
    i thought part of skyfall was made up, but then i found this.

As Ian Fleming, James Bond’s creator, noted in his 13th novel, ‘You Only Live Twice’, James Bond was born of a Scottish father, Andrew Bond of Glencoe, and a Swiss mother, Monique Delacroix.

Like his son, Andrew Bond attended Fettes school in Edinburgh and later became a foreign representative of the Vickers armaments firm. Tragically, both Andrew and Monique were killed in a climbing accident in the Aiguilles Rouges above Chamonix.

so cool, i am a huge bond fan, but never ever looked into james bonds parents.
  • Bonds parents getting a mention doesn't make SF the best for me. To each his own I suppose.
  • It is wonderful to have that mentioned properly in the film series though. I think the only other time was when it was briefly touched upon in GoldenEye.
    I thought the whole finale was brilliantly played out. The parents grave i thought was a very nice touch.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 1
    Seen it yesterday. One of the best without a doubt. It was a simple revenge story very well done. Top 5 material for me.
    The acting, storyline, setpieces, and direction were all excellent. Silvas reason for hating M and MI6 was wasn't overdone, leaving more room for the drama to unfold.
    I loved it.
    but how can they top it if the story involved m dying and introducing a new m q and moneypenny. Thats why many think its the best ever.

Mod edit: some members still forget that not everyone has seen the film yet. Spoiler tags included.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    edited November 2012 Posts: 1,347
    <b>Making this one the one and only 'Is Skyfall the best Bond film yet?' thread</b>
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    According to Alex Zane, no
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 3,279
    I thought it was better than CR, not sure if I think it's better than GE. I did spot a few cool references.

My only problems with the film were the gunbarrel, the CGI in some scenes and I felt like Silva and (especially) Severine were under used.

Other than that it was brilliant. I'm not sure where to put it on my list though.
    Skyfall and GE should not even be compared in the same sentence. Yes Skyfall may be better than CR, but that's as far as it goes.

GE is shockingly awful, along with all the other 3 Brozza Bond flicks. It really is that bad, and I'm truly amazed it gets the undeserved hype that it gets. It has to be one of the most overrated films of all time.

I'm amazed anyone can like that mess of a movie. It ranks as one of the worst, only marginally better than DAD and AVTAK, but arguably not even as good as TND or TWINE. Definitely a low point in the franchise.

I despise seeing Brozza as Bond, and in GE he is at his weakest in terms of performance and appearance - a weedy, thin, feminine GQ model who wouldn't know how to throw a punch if his life depended on it.

I dont think SF is the best bond ever it is in my top 5 though and imo Craig's best so far.
    Even though it is an original story it has a fleming feel all the way through the film. I loved it.
  • You can't compare apples and oranges. SF is a good film but ny no means the best since this is NOT A RACE. When the Connery Bonds came out they were the best AT THE TIME. When Moore did TSWLM with the Lotus IT was considered the best. The AMC stunt in TMWTGG was REAL AND FANTASTIC. Nowdays we would find them boring. Note this: in SF the main girl has 10 minutes of screen time! I didn't enjoy the fight sceens, QoS had better. But the script was good and Javier, Ola, superb and Judy was at her best.
  • Just come back from watching Skyfall for the first time. The Best Bond? Let's not try to constantly label all the time. For me all I'm going to say is that it is a fantastic Bond movie with plenty of originality and will be one of the most memorable and unique in the series. I for one loved it!
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 6
    The best Bond film ever! Outstanding performance by Javier Bardem. Craig has mastered the role. Judi Dench was awesome. The story runs well. Soundtrack is terrific. Cinematography is second to none. And Adele's theme some is the best I've heard in years. It takes you back to the old days. What more can you want. James Bond will return........