Seriously now- which is worse, TWINE or DAD

Comments

• Getafix wrote:
    worst casting mistake that EON ever made - PB.

Oh come on. I know for some reason you have a personal hatred for Brosnan but do you honestly think casting him (which helped to keep the series alive, it could've died if they'd gone with some unknown after the big gap), was a worse casting choice than Halle Berry?!
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Getafix wrote:
    worst casting mistake that EON ever made - PB.

Oh come on. I know for some reason you have a personal hatred for Brosnan but do you honestly think casting him (which helped to keep the series alive, it could've died if they'd gone with some unknown after the big gap), was a worse casting choice than Halle Berry?!

Okay, there's a certain amount of hyperbole there. He did keep the series on the road and for that I have to give him credit. But on a creative level, yes, I think he was the worst casting mistake in the series. Obviously the actor playing Bond is crucial. IMO EON has always made good and often inspired choices, apart from PB. And for the record, I don't hate him - I actually quite like the Brozza and have enjoyed him in other films. I just think that he was an awful Bond. I felt that from the first time I saw GE. I will always maintain that TND is a much better film and after seeing it I was prepared to give him another chance. But TWINE and DAD proved that the fault was not just the dodgy scripts and directing, it was also the lead actor. He was miscast and never brought the serious approach to the role that it requires. For all his insouciance, Roger Moore approached the role in a more professional way than Brosnan. As someone else said recently PB just looked like a kid who couldn't believe his good luck.

Like him or loath him, Roger had an angle on Bond and could explain why he played him the way he did. I have never heard Brosnan ever say anything remotely inciteful about The character or his take on it. He is a paper thin Bond. Little style and no substance.
  • I think Brosnan was great in the role both GE and TND. I really enjoy GE, and the first half of TND, but it's tough for anyone to maintain a high level of acting when you're paired with scripts like he got and characters like Wai Lin, Christmas Jones, Gustav Graves, and Jinx.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited October 2012 Posts: 4,399
    Getafix wrote:
    ...It was the logical conclusion to the worst casting mistake that EON ever made - PB.

I don't think it was all Brozzer's fault... he as the actor can only do with what is given to him... i think Michael and Barbara (after the death of their father) were caught in limbo on the creative direction that they wanted to go.. GE was the safe bet - as was TND - TWINE was their attempt at a more character driven piece, while still remaining true to traditional Bond formula.. DAD was glittering over the top action piece that spent too much time stroking it's own 40 year history, than looking forward...

but... at the same time - I never heard Pierce complain once during his run - hell, once he was canned, he even said "Well, we went out on a high (in reference to DAD)." .... it wasn't until much time afterwards that his bitterness set in, and he then started to complain about 'not getting substantial material'.... oh well - as i said, dems da breaks..
    I don't buy the idea That Brosnan was not the main problem. He had his chances and he blew them.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Getafix wrote:
    I don't buy the idea That Brosnan was not the main problem. He had his chances and he blew them.

maybe Brosnan should've been more involved in the creative process then??

i'm not saying Brozzer is an amazing actor - he's decent when he wants to be - but i think if you threw any other actor into those films, even past or present Bond actors, and i think you'll still run into the same problems... the problems of the films themselves go beyond Brosnan - the writing, and then subsequent restitching of the scripts of TWINE and DAD were an even bigger issue.. the men chosen to helm the films (Apted and Tamahori) is another issue... poor casting decisions made on leading ladies - most of which were just casted as window dressing, and nothing more is yet another issue....

but the style of his Bond didn't lend well to the heavy character driven pieces he 'wanted' to do... they tried and failed at that with TWINE... Brosnan's Bond was more about the one liners, humor, and over the top action.

HASEROT wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

maybe Brosnan should've been more involved in the creative process then??

i'm not saying Brozzer is an amazing actor - he's decent when he wants to be - but i think if you threw any other actor into those films, even past or present Bond actors, and i think you'll still run into the same problems... the problems of the films themselves go beyond Brosnan - the writing, and then subsequent restitching of the scripts of TWINE and DAD were an even bigger issue.. the men chosen to helm the films (Apted and Tamahori) is another issue... poor casting decisions made on leading ladies - most of which were just casted as window dressing, and nothing more is yet another issue....

but the style of his Bond didn't lend well to the heavy character driven pieces he 'wanted' to do... they tried and failed at that with TWINE... Brosnan's Bond was more about the one liners, humor, and over the top action.

Exactly. Therefore he takes a lot of the responsibility for the way the films turned out and the direction the series took. Had he had a more interesting 'take' on the chatacter, a film like TWINE could have turned out okay, but he didn't have the ability to explore the character. And IMO he wasn't good enough to do a 'Roger Moore' approach either, which seems to be what he was going for.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Brosnan had some good acting moments in TWINE (as well as some bad ones). His early scenes with Electra, the PTS, the scenes with M in the Scottish castle and the scenes with Valentin...and of course "I never miss". That was excellent in fact.

I actually like Brosnan in DAD more though. He sells the early scenes in Korea well. When Colonel Moon Sr says "turn around" he looks genuinely worried. That's good acting! I also like the smile he does as he heads into the mist.

If EON hadn't cast Brosnan it probably wouldn't give Getafix his purpose in life :))
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Brosnan had some good acting moments in TWINE (as well as some bad ones). His early scenes with Electra, the PTS, the scenes with M in the Scottish castle and the scenes with Valentin...and of course "I never miss".

I actually like Brosnan in DAD more though. He sells the early scenes in Korea well. When Colonel Moon Sr says "turn around" he looks genuinely worried. That's good acting! I also like the smile he does as he heads into the mist.

If EON hadn't cast Brosnan it probably wouldn't give Getafix his purpose in life :))

True!

The PTS in TWINE is lame IMO. Like something from a Disney movie.

Same applies to DAD PTS. It all feels really cheap and the acting is horrendous. The story and direction is at fault as well, but at the heart if Brozza. It's because he dropped the ball with TWINE that we got DAD.
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Brosnan had some good acting moments in TWINE (as well as some bad ones). His early scenes with Electra, the PTS, the scenes with M in the Scottish castle and the scenes with Valentin...and of course "I never miss".

True!

Same applies to DAD PTS. It all feels really cheap and the acting is horrendous. The story and direction is at fault as well, but at the heart if Brozza. It's because he dropped the ball with TWINE that we got DAD.

I'll agree it feels cheap but why is the acting horrendous? What's wrong with the line "then you and I have something in common"? It's a good line and Brozza delivers it well with an equal amount of defiance and anger. What other way do you expect him to play it? He's just been exposed.

Another good line of his "show me the weapons".
    BAIN123 wrote:

I'll agree it feels cheap but why is the acting horrendous? What's wrong with the line "then you and I have something in common"? It's a good line and Brozza delivers it well. What other way do you expect him to play it

his delivery of "Don't BLOW it all at once." always bothered me... it sounds too forced...

I don't mind the PTS for TWINE - it's just too long..

the PTS of DAD is arguably the best part of the movie lol.... i like the way Brozzers looks after the general says "my son is dead." ... Broz just looks down, and then turns and looks back at the General as if to say "yeah, so?" lol.

I like Brosnan in the PTS of TWINE.

"Perhaps you failed to take into account my err...hidden assets" (boom)

He delivers the "construction is not exactly my err...speciality" in a similar way.

Kind of cheesey and smarmy but I think he makes it work. I also like the way he says "old friend?" to M. A small but quite nice moment.
    I likd TWINE better than DAD. Elecktra King was a much better villian than the one in DAD. I also rather liked the PTS. It was nice to see Bond on a mission like that to the bank. It was a welcome change to "Someone's randomly trying to kill me"
  • TWINE is my favourite PTS, along with TLD.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

True!

I'll agree it feels cheap but why is the acting horrendous? What's wrong with the line "then you and I have something in common"? It's a good line and Brozza delivers it well with an equal amount of defiance and anger. What other way do you expect him to play it? He's just been exposed.

Isn't it in DAD where they make him wear those weird Jimmy Saville specs in the PTS. What's that about?
  • @Getafix It was a disguise, sort of. They don't suit him, but I like the moment where Bond and the others jump the guy from the helicopter and Brosnan holds him at gunpoint, takes his specs and does a cocky grin.
    Note to future Bond directors - never make Bond look like a paedo.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    @Getafix I'm actually pretty creeped out by all this Saville stuff because I was almost on Jim'll Fix It when I was a kid. Might've dodged a bullet there I suppose.

Y'know Getafix, I disagree with you when it comes to Brosnan, but I do admire how you find something new in his films to bash almost every day.

DAD sucks because Bond wore paedo glasses, that's a new one =))
  • HASEROT wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    his delivery of "Don't BLOW it all at once." always bothered me... it sounds too forced...

The worst joke - ever - is, "It's a bit of a minefield out there!"

Er, it actually is a minefield. It's not a joke if it's a genuinely accurate description.

Imagine there were actually cats and dogs falling from the sky...
    Bond: It's raining cats and dogs.
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

True!

Isn't it in DAD where they make him wear those weird Jimmy Saville specs in the PTS. What's that about?

Rather topical comment!

They're Brozza's sunglasses according to the audio commentary - and Brosnan looks far better in them than paedo SaVILE ever would.
    @Getafix It was a disguise, sort of. They don't suit him, but I like the moment where Bond and the others jump the guy from the helicopter and Brosnan holds him at gunpoint, takes his specs and does a cocky grin.

I like that moment too
  • When they made the HUGE MISTAKE OF CGI on DAD that almost sealed the fate of Bond
    Pierce was great as a prisoner and the hotel scene is GREAT. But that was it. It was the first time I looked at my watch during a 007 film
    When they made the HUGE MISTAKE OF CGI on DAD that almost sealed the fate of Bond
    Pierce was great as a prisoner and the hotel scene is GREAT. But that was it. It was the first time I looked at my watch during a 007 film

DAD's problems are both superficial and in the script itself - it's an onion of disappointment and sadness....

one of my big problems with the script and story - and even Brozzer himself admitted this after a long while.... is that you go through this setup of having Bond being taken prisoner and held captive for a little over a year.. he is only released because his government thinks he's cracked, and thus they cast him aside, thinking he's useless - so, right there - you are setting up Bond's struggle for the film to not only find who set him up, but to also prove his worth, to not only his former employer - but to himself..... but all that beautiful and intriguing setup is wiped away once he shaves his beard - because quite literally, it's 'business as usual Bond' from that point on.... his being held captive for a year and tortured had no psychological effects on him at all whatsoever? - i find that a little hard to believe - but i guess the writers, director and producers probably thought that was a little "too deep" a concept for Bond audiences at the time - who knows..

god - such a missed opportunity and it gnaws at me every time....

• HASEROT wrote:

DAD's problems are both superficial and in the script itself - it's an onion of disappointment and sadness....

one of my big problems with the script and story - and even Brozzer himself admitted this after a long while.... is that you go through this setup of having Bond being taken prisoner and held captive for a little over a year.. he is only released because his government thinks he's cracked, and thus they cast him aside, thinking he's useless - so, right there - you are setting up Bond's struggle for the film to not only find who set him up, but to also prove his worth, to not only his former employer - but to himself..... but all that beautiful and intriguing setup is wiped away once he shaves his beard - because quite literally, it's 'business as usual Bond' from that point on.... his being held captive for a year and tortured had no psychological effects on him at all whatsoever? - i find that a little hard to believe - but i guess the writers, director and producers probably thought that was a little "too deep" a concept for Bond audiences at the time - who knows..

god - such a missed opportunity and it gnaws at me every time....

I agree absolutely, and it just shows how the production team wanted both to break the formula - and stick rigidly to it. The Brosnan era is full of half-hearted attempts to characterize Bond more.
  • Guys, Brosnan was Cubby;s choice, and as we all know Cubby knew how to sell Bond well. He spotted him in FYEO when his late wife was playing with Moore. He got the part only to lose it due to extension in Rem St, TV series. Cubby chose him again, so that tells us something. GE was great, but after that all the scripts sucked. He IS a good actor and DAD starts amazing, but it ends there, TWINE had some great stuff good chemistry between Bond and Renard.-AWFUL CHOICE DENISE RICHARD, unable to utter one line, or act. Sophie Marceau was great. But again story weak.
    That's what i like about Cambell, he built GE a great film, and CR another triumph. Lee Tamahori was not for Bond.
    did PB know that his wife was playing with Sir Rog? can't imagine he would have been very happy about it.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I can actually enjoy DAD for some parts, it got some thrilling elements with a good pace. The film starts of very good ( exept the title song ) up until the moment when Jinx arrives. Luckily the film reclaims itself when Bond is back in London. Those scenes at the fencing club and at MI6 is very good. It is such a shame that the second half isn't good at all.
    But the film works as long as i keep the mind open that DAD is just another popcorn film.

TWINE, on the other hand tries way to hard to be something it isn't. It tries to be an emotional drama involving a Bond shattered in pieces and stands between his loyalty to M and to the feelings he has with Elektra. But all of it fails, so TWINE ends up like a movie without any caracther without any sorts of existent pace and with villains that we never can grasp.

So i prefer DAD, even though it isn't top 10 material i still like to place it above the bottom 5.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 204
    Die Another Day is not a Bond movie, it is a children's movie with Bond characters in it. You should have been able to go to Maccy D's and get a free Bond, Jinx or Walther PPK squirt gun with your meal. I really wanted to like it, but somewhere between Gustav Graves putting on a faux-robocop suit and firing a laser that looked like it had been done in MS Paint / After Effects and Bond surfing on Tesco value cling film, tears began rolling down my face and I sat at the bus stop as 3 buses went by, numbed because the movie had made me feel so cheap.

Whereas TWINE left me buzzing for days, the boat-chase stuck in my head, Denise Richards oscar-worthy turn as a nuclear physicist, the caviar factory sequence, the Bilbao escape with the rope. Loved David Arnold's soundtrack so much it was the first CD I borrowed from Croydon Library that I accidentally forgot to return.

TWINE hands down. To me Die Another Day is dead to me, like Never Say Never and the ET Atari game cartridges.
  • I can't believe anybody actually voted for Die Another Day.

The first half was good but the PTS of The World Is Not Enough alone beats anything in Die Another Day.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Die Another Day is not a Bond movie, it is a children's movie with Bond characters in it. You should have been able to go to Maccy D's and get a free Bond, Jinx or Walther PPK squirt gun with your meal. I really wanted to like it, but somewhere between Gustav Graves putting on a faux-robocop suit and firing a laser that looked like it had been done in MS Paint / After Effects and Bond surfing on Tesco value cling film, tears began rolling down my face and I sat at the bus stop as 3 buses went by, numbed because the movie had made me feel so cheap.

Whereas TWINE left me buzzing for days, the boat-chase stuck in my head, Denise Richards oscar-worthy turn as a nuclear physicist, the caviar factory sequence, the Bilbao escape with the rope. Loved David Arnold's soundtrack so much it was the first CD I borrowed from Croydon Library that I accidentally forgot to return.

TWINE hands down. To me Die Another Day is dead to me, like Never Say Never and the ET Atari game cartridges.

I'm sorry, but what? I hope you're ironic about that.

Sure she's better then Halle Berry but Oscar-worthy. No.
  • Richards did her job. She showed up, looked hot, played the damsel in distress part well and shagged Bond. Not a brilliant actress but not as terrible as some make out imo.

Halle Berry is probably a better actress and she's hotter but her lines are really the worst dialouge in the series so Richards is better simply because of that imo.