What happened to MI6 head of staff Charles Robinson (Colin Salmon)?

edited October 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 188
I don't know if it's just me not remembering aspects of DAD as it wasn't exactly my favourite film lol But I can't remember what happened to the character of Charles Robinson, as played by Colin Salmon who was the chief of staff at MI6 under Brosnan's Bond reign. Was the character killed off in DAD? Or just discontinued in Craig's era?

I watched GoldenEye the other night and really liked Salmon as Robinson.

In future films should we see a more fleshed out MI6 board of characters and cast? e.g. Bill Tanner, Charles Robinson, an MI6 Paymaster etc
????

Comments

he married 'arrows' mother ...
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I know that Robinson wasn't in GE though ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    He was laid off and had to turn to dancing on TV to support his living. :|
  • MrBond wrote:
    I know that Robinson wasn't in GE though ;)

good point lol :P I must have been in a daze.
  • Am I right in thinking he was only in TND because Michael Kitchen wasn't??
  • Am I right in thinking he was only in TND because Michael Kitchen wasn't??

That's how I have always understood it.

• He was another cool character thrown away because of the stupid reboot idea.

I like CR but I see no reason for the reboot. Why not just make it a normal Bond film, but a serious one? They can still take out the gadgets, etc. Now they have to waste time reintroducing all the old supporting characters.

But even though Q is back and Moneypenny will be back at some point, sadly I can't see Robinson returning. Tanner basically does what he did in the Brosnan films anyway.
  • I don't think Robinson was the chief of staff. I think he was more like an agent, because you see him 'in the field' with Bond in TWINE and he's in the VR-scene in DAD. Also, both Kitchen and Salmon where in TWINE, so if Tanner is Chief of Staff, what was Robison precisly?
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Also, both Kitchen and Salmon where in TWINE, so if Tanner is Chief of Staff, what was Robison precisly?

I don't know what his job title was but Tanner now does more or less what Robinson did (hangs round with M and explains something every once in a while).
  • I don't think Robinson was the chief of staff. I think he was more like an agent, because you see him 'in the field' with Bond in TWINE and he's in the VR-scene in DAD. Also, both Kitchen and Salmon where in TWINE, so if Tanner is Chief of Staff, what was Robison precisly?

Robinson never went anywhere though, he just hung around with M.

• http://www.jamesbondmm.co.uk/mi6-officials/colin-salmon

According to this he was chief of staff, whilst other database listings and articles list him as just a senior member of MI6 staff. Whatever, I personally would let the character comeback, even if for a board-scene - I like Colin Salmon as well.

Robinson never went anywhere though, he just hung around with M.

He was on the helicopter that dropped Bond off at the pipeline

He was another cool character thrown away because of the stupid reboot idea.

I like CR but I see no reason for the reboot. Why not just make it a normal Bond film, but a serious one? They can still take out the gadgets, etc. Now they have to waste time reintroducing all the old supporting characters.

But even though Q is back and Moneypenny will be back at some point, sadly I can't see Robinson returning. Tanner basically does what he did in the Brosnan films anyway.

ho ho ho
    Who cares about Robinson? He was boring.

I thought he was ok actually. However? It's a new era so lets see where it takes us?
  • I liked him quite a lot, but I don't see him as a great loss to the series. He was in 3 films and time has moved on.
  • He was on the helicopter that dropped Bond off at the pipeline

Well, exactly. That was the most exciting thing he did.
    I liked him quite a lot, but I don't see him as a great loss to the series. He was in 3 films and time has moved on.

Was he really in three?
  • Getafix wrote:
    I liked him quite a lot, but I don't see him as a great loss to the series. He was in 3 films and time has moved on.

Was he really in three?

Jup, TND, TWINE and DAD
  • Nah, most exciting thing he did was in DAD when he pulled a gun out during the VR scene. He might even have shot a guy before he got shot then, but I'm not sure.

I liked him better than the new Tanner because he just seemed cooler. Both are pretty boring minor characters but I prefer Robinson.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    He was at our pre-premiere party tonight.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I bet he was either sent into a room with lasers, or attacked by a net that draws itself inward. He was cubed.
  • If they were so dead set on shaking things up with Craig that they were gonna leave Q and Moneypenny out of his first films what were the odds that they'd bring back a character that most casual fans probably don't even remember? I liked Robinson but I never felt a need to bring him back for the Craig era.
  • Robinson is just a random MI6 extra who was in three movies. He's not really a character.
    I know for sure he was not killed off in Die Another Day, because what we see of him getting shot is only a virtual reality training excercise. I think we can just assume, since CR and QoS are supposed to be Bond's early assignments, that Robinson just hasn't entered the scene yet.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    00Beast wrote:
    I know for sure he was not killed off in Die Another Day, because what we see of him getting shot is only a virtual reality training excercise. I think we can just assume, since CR and QoS are supposed to be Bond's early assignments, that Robinson just hasn't entered the scene yet.

I doubt he will. He was a replacement for Tanner in TND, nothing more nothing less. What exactly did he do that brings any interest to his character?

Besides, I bet he got cubed off-screen.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Besides, I bet he got cubed off-screen.

I see what you did there. ;)

Agreed. What annoys me most about CR is that it's the Bond film they erased 40 years of Bond history for, and it's not even good, IMO. If it hadn't been a reboot film, I would probably not hate it as much as I do.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Dr_Metz wrote:

Agreed. What annoys me most about CR is that it's the Bond film they erased 40 years of Bond history for, and it's not even good, IMO. If it hadn't been a reboot film, I would probably not hate it as much as I do.
    It saves a lot of misery and upset by simply taking the whole series with a pinch of salt. It really is just another Bond movie, not a re-boot. Accepting this Bond as a novice agent is every bit as easy to accept as seeing Bond age like Benjamin Button as technology improves and fashions change.

Non of it matters that much. Enjoy the films for what they are.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Whether people like the reboot with Craig or not, it actually happened, and they have to accept it. :bz