What is your least favourite Brosnan flick ?

Comments

bgh1968 wrote:
    Yeah Die Another Day, pre-credit sequence was excellent...shame it couldn't maintain the tone for the rest of the film. Invisible car and over use of cgi, enough said.

Well QoB had a lot of CGI including the jumping out of the plane which is of a quality that can easily compete with DAD's worst. ;)

I'd have to answer Tomorrow Never Dies. At least The World Is Not Enough and Die Another Day had new and different things that they were trying out. Tomorrow Never Dies just feels generic, tired, rushed, and overall boring. Worst one for sure.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I recently watched the start of DAD in passing the other day, and I am once again saddened. Up until the moment when Bond goes to Cuba and sees Jinx come out of the water, the film is going spectacular. You have the action packed PTS, the brilliant torturing and imprisonment of Bond, the heated debate between he and M ("I threw away mine [cyanide] years ago" and all that), and there is so much potential set up. Then, Jinx shows up and we crash. I would have loved to see Bond wrecked by his torture, so much so that he makes mistake after mistake, or has psychological damage while on his mission. Maybe he thinks of his dead parents, or the deaths of Alec, Paris, and Electra as his mind is bombarded during torture. If there was more footage of his captivity, with scenes showing that he could never possibly escape (like his numerous failed attempts of trying to gain freedom but always failing), the film would vastly improve and show the stakes against him. It would have been amazing if there was a shot of him taking out his cyanide capsule and actually debating biting down. And furthermore, what if Bond had actually shared British government secrets under duress, and had to be held accountable for his actions as the guilt ate away at him? His loyalty to his service would be in question, as would all his great deeds that formed his reputation as a 00 agent. A shame that this film was subjected to such garbage after we see Jinx. She is the catalyst for all the mediocre crap to come.

I may write my version of DAD, so stay tuned when I incorporate this stuff.
    ^^ Do it! Do it! Do it!
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    royale65 wrote:
    • The action is kick ass.

Are we watching the same film?

Actually, I'd agree that the opening hovercraft chase is a good set piece, but the climactic battle between Bond and Graves - or Bond fighting a purple-electricity shooting RoboCop on a CG plane - is woeful. I guess it's because it's a man of almost 50 and a guy in restrictive body armour. Inexusably poor though. You could easily believe that Brosnan and Toby Stephens were sitting in arm chairs while they filmed it.

What is it with Brosnan and lame climactic fight scenes? In GoldenEye, he had one of the best ever with Sean Bean. Yet TWINE and DAD offer incredibly weak, amateurish final fights.

Yes. Yes we are.

I will grant you the climax is rather lame, actually scrub that, it's awful, but...

the PTS
    Cuban clinic
    swordfight
    aston vs jag (sans the invisible stuff)

are good.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    DAD actually starts good, I must admit that.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    If all of DAD had been more like the 1st half it'd be in my top 5. There's only two bad thingsa in the first half: Jinx and thein your face references. Other than that it's really good.

But when the film gets to Iceland it all sort of falls apart.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 11,189
    If all of DAD had been more like the 1st half it'd be in my top 5. There's only two bad thingsa in the first half: Jinx and thein your face references. Other than that it's really good.

I'd say the film is "iffy" from fairly early on but it's at least watchable and quite intriguing.

For me the film becomes almost unwatchable the moment Bond gets into that rocket thing. From then onwards we aren't in a Bond film but a crappy sci-fi flick.
    Goldeneye does have cheap footstep sound effects like in B-horror movies.
    JamesCraig wrote:
    What does everyone see in TND?

I'm the only one who hates it, right? *walks away in tears* :((

I think there are plenty of people who don't like it, personally I just like it, it's a straight forward film, Bond hasn't become a wet blanket like in TWINE and DAD and there isn't too much M etc or much personal/trust issues other than Teri Hatcher's brief appearance.

That sums it up. It is better directed than GE and doesn't try to do anything fancy like TWINE. I'm not saying its good but its definitely the least bad of the Brosnan era. Arnold's score comes as a welcome relief after GE and the first half looks quite stylish. I also thought Brozza and Yeoh work okay together.
    BAIN123 wrote:

I'd say the film is "iffy" from fairly early on but it's at least watchable and quite intriguing.

For me the film becomes almost unwatchable the moment Bond gets into that rocket thing. From then onwards we aren't in a Bond film but a crappy sci-fi flick.

Wow. We agree. I never understand the argument that DAD starts strongly. It's a creaking disaster from scene one. The whole sequence where Bond is imprisoned for months and emerges like a fat sow is hilarious. The hovercraft chase is so bad it is embarassing. And it only gets worse.

Saved by the bell! Some chance.
  • JamesCraig wrote:
    What does everyone see in TND?

I'm the only one who hates it, right? *walks away in tears* :((

TND has loads of genuinely good action scenes (unlike TWINE or DAD), the first Bond girl who can genuinely claim to be of similar heroic statue to 007, a retro plot with a modern satirical slant, a slightly murky atmosphere (which the director describes as 'smoky'), and a race-against-time plot that adds urgency throughout. A lot of Bond movies feel over-long in places, but TND never slows down. This does admittedly make it more frantic and less deep than some of the other movies, but as an action/adventure it's great. Bond is truly an action man in this - he flies a plane, drives a BMW (from the backseat), jumps out of a plane, scuba dives, co-drives a motorbike whilst handcuffed to Michelle Yeoh, and infiltrates a stealth boat. He prevents a nuclear explosion in the first few minutes whilst taking out a horde of terrorists, then later prevents a potential third world war by defeating Jonathan Pryce as a psuedo-Murdoch, after stealing his wife Teri Hatcher. What's not to like? TND is fantastic entertainment.
    I do actually rather like the PTS in TND.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Bond is truly an action man in this - he flies a plane, drives a BMW (from the backseat), jumps out of a plane, scuba dives, co-drives a motorbike whilst handcuffed to Michelle Yeoh, and infiltrates a stealth boat. He prevents a nuclear explosion in the first few minutes whilst taking out a horde of terrorists, then later prevents a potential third world war by defeating Jonathan Pryce as a psuedo-Murdoch, after stealing his wife Teri Hatcher. What's not to like? TND is fantastic entertainment.
    You ROCK, Ulysses! =D>
  • I think what we have to remember (well, at least those of us who lived through it) is that there really was a genuine fear that the Bond series was over after LTK. No modern film series had lasted that long so there was a "Well, at least we got so many of them!" idea but it didn't balance out the sadness of no more new Bond films.

So when GE was finally announced it was with a huge feeling of relief to the audience and the box office would have generated a huge feeling of relief to the studio and to EON. I think after what happened in the 80s there was a "play it safe" mindset - don't do anything to lose the audience like with LTK. It also accounts for some of the less brilliant moves, such as the studio wanting actresses with high download and internet search ratings cast instead of unknowns like Jaansen and Scorupa who had more presence or better acting chops - hence Hatcher, Richards, and Berry.

But then after Bond had been firmly re-established then EON felt it could take a bit of a chance with Craig and CR. But they needed many years of the safety that Brosnan gave them to get to that point.
    Luds wrote:
    Order from worst to "best"
    DAD
    TWINE
    TND
    GE
    Can´t beat that Luds.

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Grant wrote:
    You won't find me arguing about Brosnan's last three films (though Die Another Day has its moments) I am pissed about the crap Brosnan gets on this webiste though.

How old are you, if I might ask?

It's called opinions.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Wow. We agree. I never understand the argument that DAD starts strongly. It's a creaking disaster from scene one. The whole sequence where Bond is imprisoned for months and emerges like a fat sow is hilarious. The hovercraft chase is so bad it is embarassing. And it only gets worse.

I never said that!! I said that its its "watchable" - not a "creaking disaster" - but it does have a "B Movie" way to it. The hovercraft chase is alright IMO. At least it's a real action sequence.
    JamesCraig - Old enough to recognise childish behaviour in others.

Here's some advice from an old man, just because you say something is an 'Opinion' doesn't make it any less crap or offensive.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    JamesCraig wrote:
    Grant wrote:
    You won't find me arguing about Brosnan's last three films (though Die Another Day has its moments) I am pissed about the crap Brosnan gets on this webiste though.

How old are you, if I might ask?

It's called opinions.

But some people take their "opinions" too far, and it gets downright mean and nasty.

And that's apparently ok on here but only if it's Brosnan. EG- I've lost count of the ammount of times people have called Brosnan fat, just scroll up, there's a post on this thread that does.

But if somebody called Craig ugly (which btw, I don't agree with) half the site would attack that person and we'd probably have a thread pop up about how the haters should go away.
    edited October 2012 Posts: 17,687
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Bond is imprisoned for months and emerges like a fat sow

"FAT"???

PIERCE-BROSNAN-IN-DIE-ANOTHER-DAY-pierce-brosnan-20861076-185-264.gif
    edited October 2012 Posts: 17,687

Dude, you have to watch DVDs in the proper aspect ratio, if you watch them stretched out horizontally, people will appear 'fat'.
  • Getafix wrote:

Die Another Day is just a long series of bad ideas. 'Let's have a CGI bullet during the gun barrel!" "Yeah, kids love CGI! And Matrix-style camera work! And extreme sports!" "Let's have Halle Berry in the film without giving her an actual character to play!" "Cool, let's also get Michael Madsen for no reason!"

Why not just go the whole hog? Let's have Judi Dench turn out to be Jaws' mother. Let's have Bond having a wank during the pre-credit sequence. Let's have the whole film animated in the style of Yellow Submarine. Car chase on ice? Let's have Bond ride a giant rubber duck in space.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 10
    I find I have an equally tough time watching every Brosnan film except Goldeneye. None of them do it for me. However, objectively, Die Another Day has got to be the worst film. Apart from the last act, the Blades sword fight lacks any subtlety and is completely unbelievable. Those sort of scenes are supposed to hint at mutual contempt (see Goldfinger's golf match and Thunderball's card game) and create physical tension. That tension is destroyed if you let Bond and the villain literally come to blows so early in the film.

TND. Despite a strong leading lady, the movie was basically "generic Bond" to me.
  • TND has loads of genuinely good action scenes (unlike TWINE or DAD), the first Bond girl who can genuinely claim to be of similar heroic statue to 007, a retro plot with a modern satirical slant, a slightly murky atmosphere (which the director describes as 'smoky'), and a race-against-time plot that adds urgency throughout. A lot of Bond movies feel over-long in places, but TND never slows down. This does admittedly make it more frantic and less deep than some of the other movies, but as an action/adventure it's great. Bond is truly an action man in this - he flies a plane, drives a BMW (from the backseat), jumps out of a plane, scuba dives, co-drives a motorbike whilst handcuffed to Michelle Yeoh, and infiltrates a stealth boat. He prevents a nuclear explosion in the first few minutes whilst taking out a horde of terrorists, then later prevents a potential third world war by defeating Jonathan Pryce as a psuedo-Murdoch, after stealing his wife Teri Hatcher. What's not to like? TND is fantastic entertainment.

My one problem with TND is there's maybe a bit too much action in the 2nd half. I'm a big fan of mindless action films but Bond needs to be something more than that.

But TND is still a good film. It's just tons of fun. It's a bit of a generic Bond film but it's slick and fast paced, the time does fly by when you watch it.

I prefer GE and TWINE but TND is a good little Bond film.
  • Tomorrow Never Dies, but only by default, because the other three are so damned awesome. Really should have placed it higher in my rankings.

• Agreed. It's a complete misunderstanding of the way these films work. It should be the tension of two arch enemies
    thamesider wrote:
    Tomorrow Never Dies, but only by default, because the other three are so damned awesome. Really should have placed it higher in my rankings.

Die Another Day is, 'so damned awesome'?

I don't find it as appalling as I used to, but still.
    DRush76 wrote:

TND. Despite a strong leading lady, the movie was basically "generic Bond" to me.
    thamesider wrote:
    Tomorrow Never Dies, but only by default, because the other three are so damned awesome. Really should have placed it higher in my rankings.

TND is far and away Brozza's best.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Die Another Day is his worst but I still like it... but not Jinx.