Arnold's Movies how they stack up

13»

Comments

• Collateral Damage is a very good film. It's the one where Schwarzenegger goes to Colombia to rescue his daughter and gets caught up in a terrorist plot or something. I saw it a few years ago, only the once, but I did enjoy it quite well

Anyone who hasn't seen End Of Days yet - go out and get a copy, it's actually a very good watch. One of Arnold's better movies of the last 15 years or so
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Collateral Damage is a very good film. It's the one where Schwarzenegger goes to Colombia to rescue his daughter and gets caught up in a terrorist plot or something.

Actually he went to Colombia to get revenge on a terrorist leader that killed his wife and son in a terrorist attack on America.

Anyone who hasn't seen End Of Days yet - go out and get a copy, it's actually a very good watch. One of Arnold's better movies of the last 15 years or so

Agreed! One of my favorites by him. I own it on DVD. I think it's the darkest movie he's ever done. Then again, any movie where the hero is battling Satan is probably going to the actor's darkest movie. :P
  • Collateral Damage is a very good film. It's the one where Schwarzenegger goes to Colombia to rescue his daughter and gets caught up in a terrorist plot or something. I saw it a few years ago, only the once, but I did enjoy it quite well

The one where his daughter is kidnapped is Commando :)
  • I can agree with that, have seen Commando more times than most of the worlds population I could safely say. Has reached legendary status now. Chenny!...

I wonder if Freddie Mercury went to see it in theaters, when it was released, and wondered what a fat Australian was doing wearing chain mail vests and leather pants and appearing to mimic a copy-cat of the great singer? Every time I watch it, I expect the other guys from Queen to appear on screen

For anyone who is a fan of this 1985 epic, the following read is highly recommended (if you can keep a straight face)

http://twistededge.org/Death_By_Cinema/The_Sewer/Commando/

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    LMFAO! That was the best thing I've read in awhile! Thank you for that!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Apart from Terminator it is his an Cameron's best film by far. I enjoy T2 as a popcorn blockbuster. Outside of those I find his films embarassing, Expendables is atrocious so I don't intend to subject myself to it's sequel or any other film the governator has planned now his political career is over. He can't act end of story.

Genuinely looking forward to this
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Looks like utter junk!
    Shardlake wrote:
    Looks like utter junk!

To you, yeah, you don't like him and find his films embarrassing. For his fans, it's great to see him back in action.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Volante wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:
    Looks like utter junk!

To you, yeah, you don't like him and find his films embarrassing. For his fans, it's great to see him back in action.

I'm a fan of Arnie. He's no actor that's for sure but he has charisma and he can be great "guilty pleasure" entertainment. He's the ultimate parody.

Occasionally he can even make a good film. True Lies and The Terminator films (i.e. 1 and 2) are crackers.

I'd take him over Van Damme/Segal ANY day of the week.

P.s. How can you not recognise Arnold - even in plain clothes.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    QBranch wrote:
    his awkwardness during such less adrenalin pumped scenes is always very entertaining.
    Terminator-2-Smile.jpg

Exactly what I had in my head actually :P
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,924
    @CraigMooreOHMSS
    I knew it!
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Volante wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:
    Looks like utter junk!
    I'm a fan of Arnie. He's no actor that's for sure but he has charisma and he can be great "guilty pleasure" entertainment.
    Occasionally he can even make a good film. True Lies and The Terminator films (i.e. 1 and 2) are crackers.
    I'd take him over Van Damme/Segal ANY day of the week.
    P.s. How can you not recognise Arnold - even in plain clothes.
    That's it. Nobody goes to watch Arnie for his acting. They go to see him kick down doors while holding a couple of assault rifles and saying "knock knock!"
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I think Arnie can - albeit rarely - act a little. He has some quite nice moments in Kindergarten Cop for instance.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I prefer Van Damme. But big Arnie S has still had some decent films:

- Predator
    - True Lies
    - Terminator 2
    - Kindergarten Cop (i'm letting this one in for Penelope Ann Miller)
    - End Of Days
    - Collateral Damage
    - The Terminator
  • BAIN123 wrote:
    I think Arnie can - albeit rarely - act a little. He has some quite nice moments in Kindergarten Cop for instance.
    I LOVE Kindergarten Cop- I love the part when he's just had the nightmare and Penelope Ann Miller wakes him up; he's so awkward like a little boy with a crush.
    'You have a little milk-mustache.'
    'Must be from the milk' :-j

It's so funny because this is the same guy who once impaled a dude on the wall and said 'stick around' and dropped a guy off a cliff and assured everyone he 'let him go'.
    Favourite scene from Total Recall
    Love that trailer for Last Stand.. Cannot wait.
    Been a fan of the big guy all my life. I have literally grown up on Arnie pictures, and the last decade or so has been painful, due to the lack of films. Listen we all know what we're getting with Arnold, he aint friggin Orson Wells!! But he is the greatest ever at what he does... ACTION!! My top 5 personal favorites of his films would be:
    5: Jingle All the Way (Yes, I wrote it)
    4: The Running Man
    3: Total Recall
    2: Predator
    1: The Terminator

But I love them all. My least favorite would probably be Red Sonja.
    Anyone reading his autobiography? Bought it the other day, am loving it. Some great photos throughout, my favourites are the rare shots from Gold's Gym.
    Volante wrote:
    Anyone reading his autobiography? Bought it the other day, am loving it. Some great photos throughout, my favourites are the rare shots from Gold's Gym.

My wife is getting it for me this weekend!!! Can't wait dude. Does it rock? It does, doesn't it? It rocks?!!
    OddJaws wrote:
    Volante wrote:

My wife is getting it for me this weekend!!! Can't wait dude. Does it rock? It does, doesn't it? It rocks?!!

Possibly my favourite ever celebrity autobiography and I'm only halfway through. He's just a fascinating guy.
    Volante wrote:
    OddJaws wrote:
    Volante wrote:

Possibly my favourite ever celebrity autobiography and I'm only halfway through. He's just a fascinating guy.

Yeah. It rocks.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 774
    OddJaws wrote:
    Volante wrote:
    OddJaws wrote:
    Volante wrote:

Yeah. It rocks.

Definitely rocks, highly recommend it.
    Volante wrote:
    OddJaws wrote:
    Volante wrote:
    OddJaws wrote:
    Volante wrote:

Yeah. It rocks.

Definitely rocks, highly recommend it.

Great stuff. I was excited already, but now I'm hyper!
  • This will be the second autobiography I have bought (the first being Roger's of course)

I mentioned on the 'What celebs have you met' thread that Arnold was a mere 25 minute drive from me the other day doing a book signing. Unfortunately by the time I heard, the event was long sold out.

I could almost smell his manliness in the air, lol 8-}

But yeah I'm sure his book will be fascinating-- love him or hate him as an actor; he sure has had quite a life.

.....I wonder when the inevitable Arnold Schwarzenegger biopic will come out ;) (yeah right, who the hell would play him?)

Will Bale be back? I am assuming so now he has stepped away from Batman?
  • I watched The Running Man recently and it holds up rather well. Plus it's got what I regard as Ahnold's best delivered line: "You better leave room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach and break your God-damned SPINE!". Richard Dawson is fantastic as the villain too. Anyway...

1) Conan the Barbarian
    2) Predator
    3) The Running Man
    4) The Terminator
    5) Twins
    6) Total Recall
    7) True Lies

• And Yaphet Kotto is in it also, don't forget

I own a copy of that movie, and had it for years, but haven't watched it for so long I can't remember when. Schwarzenegger was very busy around the time of release with other work such as Predator, Red Heat, Raw Deal and Twins so he really was kept busy. I recently saw Eraser again, and while not a great release, there's a bizarre bit, in a museum with giant crocodiles and a plane sequence that wasn't too far off Moonraker for a brief time. I think his last great true work would of been Collateral Damage