Things you're ashamed to admit as a Bond fan

2»

Comments

doubleoego wrote:
    I think Dalton is good but painfully overrated and find that he attracts an army of pretentious Bond fans.

Proud to be a pretentious Bond fan.

wdm wrote:
    On Barry, I remember from one of the DVD extras (probably the one on Bond music, but I forget which movie that came with) he said something about not caring to watch Bond movies after he stopped working on them and that he didn't care to listen to the music either. I don't know - it just seemed egotistical to me. But on the other hand, I know he recommended Arnold, so there's that. I'm sure he was a fine person.

The Fleming thing is just a personality difference. I guess I get rubbed the wrong way by the idea that he wrote CR as his goodbye to a (presumably raucous) bachelorhood. I don't think I'd like hearing that if I was his future wife. But, I'm not a good example...I got married as fast as I could to the only girl I really ever dated at age 21. And yes, we're still married.

Barry was a big gruff Yorkshiremen. They enjoy grumpiness as a hobby up there. One of the GB Olympics gold medals for grumpiness was won by a yorkshireman. Also, he'd done eleven over 25 years. I would need a break after that.

Ian Fleming? Well, he married for the first time in his early forties and it was a shock to a man who enjoyed bachelorhood. I dont think Ann Rothermere would have been bothered by her being the reason he wrote the Bond books. I think she would have enjoyed the royalties and the life in Jamaica.
  • 1. Terrance Young should be praised more than Connery. He created the mold for Bond and help Connery become the Bond we all know and love.
    2. Dalton's Bond, while my favorite interperatation, was better suited for a television adaptation that was loyal to the books. Kind of like Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 11,189
    actonsteve wrote:
    wdm wrote:
    On Barry, I remember from one of the DVD extras (probably the one on Bond music, but I forget which movie that came with) he said something about not caring to watch Bond movies after he stopped working on them and that he didn't care to listen to the music either. I don't know - it just seemed egotistical to me. But on the other hand, I know he recommended Arnold, so there's that. I'm sure he was a fine person.

The Fleming thing is just a personality difference. I guess I get rubbed the wrong way by the idea that he wrote CR as his goodbye to a (presumably raucous) bachelorhood. I don't think I'd like hearing that if I was his future wife. But, I'm not a good example...I got married as fast as I could to the only girl I really ever dated at age 21. And yes, we're still married.

Barry was a big gruff Yorkshiremen. They enjoy grumpiness as a hobby up there. One of the GB Olympics gold medals for grumpiness was won by a yorkshireman. Also, he'd done eleven over 25 years. I would need a break after that.

Ian Fleming? Well, he married for the first time in his early forties and it was a shock to a man who enjoyed bachelorhood. I dont think Ann Rothermere would have been bothered by her being the reason he wrote the Bond books. I think she would have enjoyed the royalties and the life in Jamaica.

There's no such thing as a Yorkshireman who isn't grumpy :p

I'm not too bothered about Fleming's grumpiness, more his overt sexism/racism.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Let's not argue points that people make on this thread.
    We admit things we are ashamed of as Bond fans, but we don't need others trying to counteract what we say. ;-)

That the ice berg parasurfing MADE the final cut of DAD! X_X
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    DaltonFinger.jpg

This is now my laptop's wallpaper. Just for sh*ts and giggles.

Anyway, I'm not really ashamed to admit anything. I hate Goldfinger, Craig's my favorite Bond, after him Connery, I can't find this "atmosphere" the Moore Whoores say that Moore's films and the Fleming novels have in common, and if I were to meet Shirley Bassey I'd tell her how much I hate her music.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Ashamed of as a Bond fan ... well, nothing really I can come up with. Except that I really don't like the taste of a vodka martini. ;)

I have to admit, I hated it as well when I first tried it. But kept trying it (most likely in denial), until eventually I developed a taste for it. Now I really enjoy it without any problem. It's a little pathetic the lengths we go to sometimes to live out a fantasy.

I do like a regular martini (with big fat olives or a twist of lime) now and then, so I pretend that counts. LIke it matters. Ha!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,350
  • A mod has commented and hasn't closed it or anything, so I think it's staying open.
    1. Terrance Young should be praised more than Connery. He created the mold for Bond and help Connery become the Bond we all know and love.
    2. Dalton's Bond, while my favorite interperatation, was better suited for a television adaptation that was loyal to the books. Kind of like Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes.

Disagree with 2, he's my favourite too but I think he's suited for the films just fine. You could be right with 1.