Did you notice the M:I influence in SF?

edited August 2012 in Skyfall Posts: 23
The idea of a list of agents getting stolen, it's the same from the first Mission: Impossible movie...

Did you notice it?

I personally think it's a pretty uncreative idea... I have a bad feeling about Skyfall.

Comments

Well actually since I have not seen the movie yet I find this question hard to answer. And lists of secret agents are not the sole idea of the MI series even Le Caree worked with it, and I hardly accuse him being influenced by Messieurs Cruise and friends.

Watch the movie first and then make up your mind.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 4,619
    @Matteobin Have you already seen the movie?
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    Lets flip the coin, Maybe we should start a thread called "Anyone notice the huge amount of influence in films generallly that Bond has had"
    We spend so much time drawing by comparisons and pointing fingers at the Bond people, what about all those ideas others have so obviously taken from Bond. E.g. Temple of Doom,
    made whilst OP was on release it is rife with Bond references from the outset.

To answer the topic though; We have no idea right now as to why the data was 'LOST', the hook in any story is not the premise but in the way it plays out. I have a great feeling about Skyfall. ;-)
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 23
    Ok, I'll wait for the movie... :D

It was just a thing I had noticed...
  • The story does sound similar but yeah we'd better wait and see, it could be done completely differently for all we know.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    My initial thought was that it was more to do with the incidents where real officials have left laptops and briefcases full of secrets on trains etc, over the last few years. a sly did at them perhaps?
    Myself I have a good feeling about Skyfall…not long to wait now.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 104
    Bond movie aping MI - movie aping Bond movie... NO WAY! :O
    Well one way they're different is that in Skyfall the list gets published on YouTube! In Mission: Impossible the NOC list never gets out there and could easily have been any other 'secret file' MacGuffin.
    My initial thought was that it was more to do with the incidents where real officials have left laptops and briefcases full of secrets on trains etc, over the last few years. a sly did at them perhaps?
    Myself I have a good feeling about Skyfall…not long to wait now.

Indeed. Recently, the plans of the Élysée palace and other important government buildings were stolen. They were on a USB key that a contractor, charged with putting optic fiber in said buildings, had in his car. It just took a few minutes, that's all. Big embarassment for all parties.

What has leaked out about the story is not particularly thrilling and has echos of TWINE. However, final judgement cannot be made until the movie is out. That said, what is a forum for if not to air our doubts, hopes and concerns. Some people on here seem to want to close down every thread that raises a critical question - we need to protect freedom of speech and stand up to these online bullies.
    I don't know, I haven't seen Skyfall yet, so I couldn't tell you.
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    Getafix wrote:
    What has leaked out about the story is not particularly thrilling and has echos of TWINE. However, final judgement cannot be made until the movie is out. That said, what is a forum for if not to air our doubts, hopes and concerns. Some people on here seem to want to close down every thread that raises a critical question - we need to protect freedom of speech and stand up to these online bullies.

Sorry pal but "bullies" is a pretty strong term to use and pretty unfair to level that at your fellow members. I aint no mod but seriously lets not go down the bully route for merely sharing our own personal observations. ;-)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Getafix wrote:

Sorry pal but "bullies" is a pretty strong term to use and pretty unfair to level that at your fellow members. I aint no mod but seriously lets not go down the bully route for merely sharing our own personal observations. ;-)

While "bullies" is quite a strong word, he may have a point.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    There is no bullying on this thread that I can see.

As for the forum at large some people will voice stronger opinions than others, but as long as it doesn't become repetitive spam, deliberate attacks on other members, or the use of unacceptable language then we will let it go.
    However, if anyone is unhappy with some aspect of a post they read please flag it for the mods attention.
    Getafix wrote:

While "bullies" is quite a strong word, he may have a point.

I was actually reacting to a rather annoying member who had just attacked me again on another thread. It gets a bit tedious after a while when people have nothing interesting to say themselves but seem to spend all their time shouting other people down.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    @Getafix does have a point and a forum should actively encourage civilised discussion from all viewpoints.

Whilst "bullies" might be a strong word, the term "pal" as used in the context of your reply @Monsieur_Aubergine appeared to be equally strong.

Let's not turn this thread into personal attacks. The OP makes a valid observation, so let's discuss that.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2012 Posts: 11,139
    Freedom of speech is one thing but far too many people abuse that freedom with stupid questions and even more senseless statements. This forum isn't a right it's a privilege and besides the rules of the site, it would be nice and courteous if people could observe a degree of cognitive dexterity and not talk as if they're experiencing some mental erosion.
    I do hope the list of agents is called the Agents Names & Aliases List.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Freedom of speech is one thing but far too many people abuse that freedom with stupid questions and even more senseless statements. This forum isn't a right it's a privilege and besides the rules of the site, it would be nice and courteous if people could observe a degree of cognitive dexterity and not talk as if they're experiencing some mental erosion.

Come again? Am I detecting signs of mental erosion here?

I can't help you if you're finding it difficult and unable to understand.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Getafix wrote:

I've read quite alot of what was leaked and I am yet to understand where are the echos of TWINE but I can certainly say it's not like M:1 either. But this kind of discussion always reminds me of the story of the chicken and the egg, it goes nowhere.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Matteobin wrote:
    The idea of a list of agents getting stolen, it's the same from the first Mission: Impossible movie...

Did you notice it?

I personally think it's a pretty uncreative idea... I have a bad feeling about Skyfall.

No, you're the first one to notice it on a forum full of obsessed Bond fans. <rolls eyes>
    edited August 2012 Posts: 642
    @Getafix does have a point and a forum should actively encourage civilised discussion from all viewpoints.

Whilst "bullies" might be a strong word, the term "pal" as used in the context of your reply @Monsieur_Aubergine appeared to be equally strong.

Let's not turn this thread into personal attacks. The OP makes a valid observation, so let's discuss that.

pal /pal/Noun: A friend.
    Synonyms: friend - mate - comrade - fellow

No idea what context you mean? I was purely talking from a equal level as opposed to anything condescending. Couple with my emoticon and there is no malice. If I heed your comment then In future I will avoid friendship and anything coloquial. Please dont tar me with that brush. Blimey. Sorry to all other members, no further comment from me on this issue. ;-)
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Sandy wrote:
    I've read quite alot of what was leaked and I am yet to understand where are the echos of TWINE.

Well there's the story of M's past coming back to haunt her, MI6 hq being attacked, sounds a bit like TWINE.

But even though I'm not too keen on what I've heard about the story (mainly because it sounds M focused), and I think it sounds similar to TWINE and MI, I also think we'll have to wait until we see the film to judge it fairly.
    doubleoego wrote:

Translation: Some people have opinions different from mine and I don't like that.

pal /pal/Noun: A friend.

Verb: Spend time with a friend: "we never really palled around".

Synonyms: friend - buddy - chum - mate - comrade - fellow

No idea what context you mean? I was purely talking from a matey level as opposed anything condescending. Couple with my emoticon and there is no malice.

Which is why you flagged the comment, is it?

Translation: Some people have opinions different from mine and I don't like that.

Come on now, don't be stupid. Also, this coming from the same guy who edits out people's posts regarding who they consider to be the best Bond and replaces it with Dalton? Lol. Please.
    Let's keep on topic or I'm gonna close this.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    doubleoego wrote:

Come on now, don't be stupid.

You said some people have stupid questions, sensless statements, etc, and I'm guessing you were talking about people who don't like Craig or have doubts and questions about SF. If I'm wrong then sorry.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Also, this coming from the same guy who edits out people's posts regarding who they consider to be the best Bond and replaces it with Dalton? Lol. Please.

It's called a joke, which is why I normally put a smiley at the end. If anyone takes those posts seriously it's not my problem.
  • Let's keep on topic or I'm gonna close this.

Sorry.