Was the invisible car that bad???

edited December 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 12,837
I'm not really a fan of DAD. I don't think there's a terrible Bond film, but the whole Icarus story, the bad CGI and the massive drop in quality once we get to Iceland (after a brilliant first half), make it bottom of the pile for me. So I'm far from a DAD fan, I agree with most of the criticisms against it.

But what I don't get is the invisible car. People say how bad it was, but is it really any less far fetched than an Underwater car, a remote control car, a car with lasers in the wheels, etc??? Was it really that bad considering what we had before?

Comments

• edited August 2012 Posts: 503
    It really wasn't that bad, I just think it was the icing on the cake of cheesy for some people. An invisible car is more plausible than you'd think, and the fact that you could actually still see it in the film (it's styled almost like the creature from The Abyss) made it even more realistic to me. I don't think the overall comedic presentation by Q (Cleese) in the subway helped people's opinions on it.
  • I must admit, I didn't see it coming ;)
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 11,189
    My issue with the Invisible car:

When Bond is following the Mr Kil (ugh!) and his goons at the ice palace why can't they hear the rumble of the engine behind them? Yeah its invisible but surely they'd still be able to hear it.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 612
    BAIN123 wrote:
    My issue with the Invisible car:

When Bond is following the Mr Kil (ugh!) and his goons at the ice palace why can't they hear the rumble of the engine behind them? Yeah its invisible but surely they'd still be able to hear it.

Nope, Bond was in his invisible Prius that time. Tamahori's decision.

• edited August 2012 Posts: 1,492
    Was it bad? Yes, because we enter the realm of fairy tales.

Next week we have a Aston Martin made out of blue cheese and Miss Moneypenny is really a magicked white mouse.
    YES
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    No it wasn't bad, since we have near invisible stealth planes. And an older topic showed how a car could be near visible using similar technology described the way Q explained it. Now the Gene therapy schlock....that was bad.
  • actonsteve wrote:
    Was it bad? Yes, because we enter the realm of fairy tales.

Next week we have a Aston Martin made out of blue cheese and Miss Moneypenny is really a magicked white mouse.

Didn't we do that before though? My point is, is an invisible car really any less realistic than any of the past cars and gadgets? Is it really that much worse than an underwater car?
    Murdock wrote:
    No it wasn't bad, since we have near invisible stealth planes. And an older topic showed how a car could be near visible using similar technology described the way Q explained it. Now the Gene therapy schlock....that was bad.

I agree with this.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    DAD was just a series of bad decisions, down the line. In my opinion, Bond CGI surfing was worse than gene therapy was worse than the invisible car.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    IMO Bond films shouldn't deliberately evade the (borderline) fantastical but they should always be able to sell us on it in a convincing manner. Otherwise they fail. DAD does an excellent job explaining the invisible car, at least so I think (given that there actually are experiments being conducted as we speak in more or less the same way), but I'm not always so sure about how it ends up being used. It also opens up a whole can of worms. If the technology has been mastered, somehow, by MI6, then why not conveniently applying it to costumes for Bond to wear, fighter planes that could have attacked the Antonov from the outside, ...? A good thing is that after DAD, they more or less reset the clock for had there been a direct follow-up to DAD, it would have needed invisible cars and such as well. One should be relatively confident that such a precious tool would henceforth be implemented to the fullest extent possible. Fighting terrorism would turn easy all of a sudden.

They were still wrong, IMO, to do it even if we are trying hard nowadays to bend light using materials with a negative refraction index and so on. Ever since Wells (or even before), invisible men have been part of our fiction, our secret dreams and fantasies, our horror stories and popular science projects. It's the first 'gadget' a four year old would think off. I bet that many folks during the spy craze of the 60s would have suggested this as the next thing for Bond after the jetpack in TB. To 'catch up' with that rather obvious bit of fantastical trickery (nevermind how realistic it might become in the next 20 or so years) in the 21st century actually feels rather lame to me. Though I think the car works in some scenes and isn't in fact DAD's worst problem by far, I'm not entirely convinced it pays off as well as it might, nor do I praise that particular spark of 'creativity' any more than I am disappointed in how much the original stuff had caught up now with its own parodies.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Bond wrote:
    It really wasn't that bad, I just think it was the icing on the cake of cheesy for some people. An invisible car is more plausible than you'd think, and the fact that you could actually still see it in the film (it's styled almost like the creature from The Abyss) made it even more realistic to me. I don't think the overall comedic presentation by Q (Cleese) in the subway helped people's opinions on it.

Yes it really was. And I dont remember being able to see it all in the Q scene when it rolls out (well not until John Cleese walks around it and for some reason it refracts his leg. Something it singulary fails to do in the rest of the film) so I dont know where you are coming from with that. OK it leaves some tracks in the snow later on and theres an outline but the bit in which Bond kneels down and opens the door when it is invisible is really quite embarassing.

The biggest problem with it is not in execution (although this is also flawed) but that peoples immediate perception of it is that it is just ludicrous. If you present a gadget that people immediately think is just too ridiculous to be true then you have already lost the battle.

Take the watches in LALD, GE or TWINE. I hardly ever hear criticism of those on a par with the invisble car.

In LALD theres no way something the size of a watch could generate such a strong electromagentic field. Wheres all the power coming from for a start?
    Lasers that can cut through solid metal with ease are a myth propogated since GF but people see it as credible so they let things like the GE watch slide.
    In TWINE the watch has a winch with enough force to lift a man into the air like Superman which again is ludicrous but as it instinctively feels plausible we let it go.

The Lotus although implausible also feels like it might be possible and thats all you need to go along with it.

The main problem with the invisible car is that the moment you saw it it felt silly and once the audience feel it has no plausibility you are in trouble.

And for all those people who keep saying its actually not that far fetched as we have similar technology, ten years on this is still the best we have:

I dont remember anyone in DAD mentioning that all Graves henchmen were afflicted with infra red vision which is the only way that tank is invisible.

The reason it is sooo bad is that things like the CGI parasurfing do not sound that bad when discussing it ni a preproduction meeting. Personally I would throw out any stunt that couldnt be done 90% for real but theres nothing wrong with the actual concept its just that they went and hired a company still working with Commodore 64s to do the CGI. If ILM had done it we might still have been complaining that CGI was used and not real stuntmen but we'd at least have had a spectacular stunt and not a SNES game.

The inivisible car however just sounds shite the moment you pitch it. Just imagine that meeting:

Purvis - 'We've got a great idea for a gadget'

Babs - 'Whats that?'

Wade - 'A car that turns invisible'

Babs - 'Are you winding me up? Thats the biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard. We're making a serious film here where Bond gets tortured for months in North Korea and you come up with this crock of shit? We're not making an episode of The Man From UNCLE. Why dont you both get your coats and just get the f**k out of my sight.'

MGW - 'What took you so long love?'

The fact that instead she said 'Brilliant stuff guys and we've already got a really good CGI company on board so they can knock it off when theyve done the parasurfing scene which is looking really impressive by the way' should really have been a resigning issue for me. It just staggers me to believe that no one in that meeting stood up and said 'this really is a woeful idea that will see the audience openly laughing at the film.'

I remember Paul Merton ripping the piss out of the invisible car on HIGNFY before I saw the film and all the were laughing along and I thought 'No it cant be that bad. I'm sure they will present it credibly and it wont be totally invisible. I trust EON not to make a mockery of the character.' How wrong I was.

The invisible car is just the cherry on the top of a massive shit pie of a film.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,350
    In the Q scene when it rolls out (well not until John Cleese walks around it and for some reason it refracts his leg. Something it singulary fails to do in the rest of the film)

Just so you know, that was a reference to Monty Python put in by...

Also Vanquish, the car name, sounds like vanish. You can bet that's how the idea came up and I reckon there's one person to blame for that. Mr. ThisIsHowCGIWillBeUsedInTheNextGenerationOfBondMovies.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

The fact that instead she said 'Brilliant stuff guys and we've already got a really good CGI company on board so they can knock it off when theyve done the parasurfing scene which is looking really impressive by the way' should really have been a resigning issue for me.

What's your source for this?

Everything I've read indicates that it's MGW who is most concerned about having up-to-date gadgets in the Bond films.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Just so you know, that was a reference to Monty Python put in by...

I've never realised that before. Pretty obvious when you think about it. I guess my disgust at the whole thing stopped me picking up on it.

echo wrote:

The fact that instead she said 'Brilliant stuff guys and we've already got a really good CGI company on board so they can knock it off when theyve done the parasurfing scene which is looking really impressive by the way' should really have been a resigning issue for me.

What's your source for this?

Everything I've read indicates that it's MGW who is most concerned about having up-to-date gadgets in the Bond films.

I briefly met Babs at the screening of YOLT last year at the BFI (incidentally Ken Adam was also in attendance signing his autobiography) and she told me thats pretty much how they came to the decision.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I have more of an issue with the atrocious CGI and sex puns than the Invisible car myself. Although I would have rathered that the cars use be limited to the chase with Zao rather than Bond simply moving through a compound where there was clearly loads of cover to simply move on foot.
  • If the car was in a better Bond film it would probably get a warmer reception.
    If the car was in a better Bond film it would probably get a warmer reception.

I think part of it is the fact that it's a Vanquish, a brilliant car. If it were the 750 from TND, it would only be worse.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    The technology more than likely existed in 2002, but we still haven't seen it in the mainstream yet (and probably never will). Remember this rule: whatever technology we see today existed in the hands of the military 15 years ago. The invisible tank we see now would pale in comparison to what they really have 'hidden away from sight'. So in conclusion, the 'Vanish' is not far-fetched, but rather ahead of it's time. Very cool.
    QBranch wrote:
    The technology more than likely existed in 2002, but we still haven't seen it in the mainstream yet (and probably never will). Remember this rule: whatever technology we see today existed in the hands of the military 15 years ago. The invisible tank we see now would pale in comparison to what they really have 'hidden away from sight'. So in conclusion, the 'Vanish' is not far-fetched, but rather ahead of it's time. Very cool.

DAD was made in 2002 so I can fully expect invisible cars as they are portrayed in the film to be on the streets by 2017 can I?

I have issue with the invisible car. THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE.
    WE may have stealth aircraft but the craft is never actually invisible to the naked eye. It is invisible on radar screens and whatnot but the thing is never actually invisible. I can accept cloaking devices in Star Trek, and I can accept the Predator bending light to make himself invisible but thats alien technology and Sci Fi . Bond is not Sci Fi.
    I like the invisible car. It's a very good bond gadget.
    It's better than the watch laser in ge,or back to tld laser car that slices the car in half.
    You can't say these 2 gadgets are more beleivable than the invisible car in dad.
    QBranch wrote:

DAD was made in 2002 so I can fully expect invisible cars as they are portrayed in the film to be on the streets by 2017 can I?
    Like I said, the general public will never have access to invisible cars. Not everything the government/army comes up with is released to the general public. Although what does hit the shelves today has been around for years, 15 years being an average/approximate time span.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I have issue with the invisible car. THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE.
    WE may have stealth aircraft but the craft is never actually invisible to the naked eye. It is invisible on radar screens and whatnot but the thing is never actually invisible. I can accept cloaking devices in Star Trek, and I can accept the Predator bending light to make himself invisible but thats alien technology and Sci Fi . Bond is not Sci Fi.

Thank you sir. Some sanity around here amongst all the apologists.
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,896
    Science fiction becomes science fact sooner or later. Jules Verne suggested a hologram more than a century ago, and now we have Tupac back on stage. Go figure.
    Yes, maybe the car was too futuristic for 2002 Bond, but making it invisible is definitely not out of the realm of possibility.
  • I like the gadget itself but the execution of such an idea was hideous. You have a invisible car, but the setting is on ice/snow - which completely negates the invisibility aspect since the car can still make tracks! Then, in the whole freaking movie you had two-three scenes with it being used, and not in the stealth sense! It's practically useless when you're driving into a wave of gunfire like Bond did in the movie!
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 11,189
    It's silly but I really don't think the Invisible Car was the worst thing in DAD. The worst thing was either the CGI or Mr Kil (urgh!)...oh and Jinx.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 3,333
    Interesting that you should only focus on the invisible car, thelivingroyale, when there are so many other terrible things going on in this mess of a movie. For me the movie stops dead when Bond can control his heart and stops it to fool M so he can make his escape. Everything that follows is a steaming pile of dreck right up to the end titles; the car, Jinx, the gene therapy, CGI effects, Icarus, Rupert (the Bear) Graves, robocop suit, virtual display goggles, are just another long list of screw-ups.
  • I was pretty sure that most of you would've seen this but maybe not. Mercedes Benz made a car for a commercial which used "adaptive camouflage" technology exactly as described by John Cleese's "Q" in Die Another Die. Yes- the hardware is cumbersome but it does work.... Check it out!

edited August 2012 Posts: 13,896
    I was pretty sure that most of you would've seen this but maybe not. Mercedes Benz made a car for a commercial which used "adaptive camouflage" technology exactly as described by John Cleese's "Q" in Die Another Die. Yes- the hardware is cumbersome but it does work.... Check it out!
    And here's the discussion on that one ;)
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/80632#Comment_80632
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The invisible car sucked and was/is to this day a crappy and horribly executed idea. Period.