Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    mtm wrote: »
    That is a good question, to be fair. I don't know the answer.

So many previously reliable box office brands bombing recently is a worry though. It's hard to see a pattern to it.

Yep, it's very concerning. If Bond 26 launches in 2027 and crashes like dail of destiny, what then? Another long gap while EON regroup and try again? There's a lot to consider, personally that's why I don't think they'll bite off more than they can chew. A simple, straightforward story, with a clear sense of the direction to take future installments, with an unmistakably bondian blueprint. It worked in 1995.
  • edited May 11 Posts: 3,075
    007HallY wrote: »
    Haven’t seen The Fall Guy yet (I’ve heard great things regarding reviews etc, but at the same time I don’t think I actually know anyone who has any interest in seeing it, which is likely part of the problem). Much like the latest MI’s underperformance though I don’t think this’ll mean anything for Bond.

I’ve heard a few reasons why FG didn’t land, and I can relate to at least one of them. Simply put it’s not a film I thought worth paying to see in the cinema. Not to say I won’t see it, but compared to, say, Dune 2 (which did do very well financially, and clocked in at a 190 million budget with of course a top tier director) it honestly came across more like a Netflix film/something I’d simply catch later. It didn’t feel like an ‘event’ of a film that I had to see. I actually had the same thought process with MI (it being the first half of a two parter - and truth be told I’ve still not watched it). Add to that the subject matter of Fall Guy is a bit niche (I suspect it’s the sort of film that appeals more to slightly older audiences who actually seem less likely to go to the cinema nowadays) and the unfortunate truth that often good movies aren’t hits and there you go…

Bond is at least an established IP and by contrast has an ability to drum up relatively large audiences who feel the film worth watching in cinemas. A bigger draw will depend on competition, and certainly they might scale things down simply as a creative choice, but I don’t think their choice in director will be affected by this. They’ll pick who they think best.

Even dune wasn't a smash hit, 700 million on a 190 million budget would have been considered quite normal in 2019, now its celebrated as a major win.

Really since 2021 only a dozen or so films have been true breakout success stories on the level a SP/Bond sized production needs to be to turn a profit. Avatar, Barbie, Top Gun, Oppenhiemer, Super Mario, Guardians of the Galaxy, a few others. The question is, does Bond 26 still land with the much needed under 25 demographic, or it is more like Indiana Jones, an nostalgic hero for an older generation.

I think for something like Dune it’s impressive, and it’s undeniably a hit. Remember, all the 2019 top grossers were either Marvel films or other IPs from Disney (ant their height no less). I’m not sure how well the Dune films would have done if they’d been released around that time in comparison to now. Anyway, glib as this sounds not all films need to be smash hits to be successful.

Going by what I’ve personally seen and the numbers for the last two Craig Bond films, I don’t think Bond 26 needs to worry too much. I know a fair few people in the 18-28 year range, and even though not all are big Bond fans (some even dislike a few of the earlier ones), most went to the cinemas to watch the last two and even enjoyed them. I suspect a big part of it is that Bond is ever modern, while Indiana Jones is literally and figuratively from another time. Audiences don’t expect a Sean Connery or Roger Moore Bond film, they expect a new Bond film. In that sense compared to something like MI (which from what I’ve seen actually has a fan base which skews older) Bond’s viewership I suspect would be relatively varied, and a fair few would likely be under 25 already. They just need to make the best Bond film they can with the best lead they can find, and market it appropriately/release it at a convenient time of the year.

So many previously reliable box office brands bombing recently is a worry though. It's hard to see a pattern to it.

Yep, it's very concerning. If Bond 26 launches in 2027 and crashes like dail of destiny, what then? Another long gap while EON regroup and try again? There's a lot to consider, personally that's why I don't think they'll bite off more than they can chew. A simple, straightforward story, with a clear sense of the direction to take future installments, with an unmistakably bondian blueprint. It worked in 1995.

Again, just on a basic level it comes down to the question of would a typical person think it worth spending money to see this film. I really don’t think anyone was crying out for a new Indiana Jones film, and it’s not a franchise that’s really been directly in the public consciousness for many years now. There was limited interest. This is not a problem Bond has. Something like Marvel by contrast has too much content. Outside of the Avengers or the big superhero names would anyone really be bothered watching The Marvels? Again, not an issue for Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It'll be interesting to see how any future Star Wars films do. I know that, unlike Bond, has been rather oversaturated recently so won't necessarily show the state of play, but you'd think it's got to be one of the most reliable brands out there and if they bomb that's not a good sign.
    Or maybe the new Superman will be more of a pointer.
  • edited May 11 Posts: 800

That's the issue. It worked in 1995

It'll be interesting to see how any future Star Wars films do. I know that, unlike Bond, has been rather oversaturated recently so won't necessarily show the state of play, but you'd think it's got to be one of the most reliable brands out there and if they bomb that's not a good sign.
    Or maybe the new Superman will be more of a pointer.

Superman’s a double edged sword. It hasn’t really been a thing for a while now (even when Cavill took the role we didn’t get an awful lot of Superman appearances) but it is a recognisable character, and fans are seemingly excited for a new DC era. While I can’t imagine a flop as such I can see that there just simply wouldn’t be enough interest to make it a smash hit, and there is a scenario where it could underperform in this sense. If I’m completely honest I’m not sure if I care enough about Superman to instinctually go and see it, but if there’s good word of mouth, marketing, and others I know get excited to see it, I’ll go. It’s got an excellent chance of being successful on the whole, but to what degree will have to be seen.

Star Wars has an overwhelming fan and nostalgia factor that’s pretty extraordinary (even if some of the films are truly horrendous). But anything’s possible, especially with uneven output and too much of it.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Looking at his posts, it could be virtually anything.
    talos7 wrote: »

Could be, but the use of "license to" seems intentional.
    edited May 11 Posts: 8,163

...incoming
    talos7 wrote: »

Could be, but the use of "license to" seems intentional.

Interesting, I read it quickly and did not catch that.
    Just saying, that youtuber guy stated that there would be news of a director or writer "by the end of April". Is it possible he was just out by a couple weeks?
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Just saying, that youtuber guy stated that there would be news of a director or writer "by the end of April". Is it possible he was just out by a couple weeks?

I don't imagine youtuber guy would have been talking about an unofficial leak, I assume he was talking about an official announcement, and a random gossip-guy doesn't count, imo.

Which youtuber?

Which youtuber?

A channel called analyze this, mr bond.

If the 18-25 set is critical to the success of Bond, I wonder if that ship has sailed. As a lifelong Bond fan, I am finding it difficult to maintain my own enthusiasm because of the gaps between films, and I have literary and film history. The novels and films came out at regular intervals, but 18-25 year olds? Are they invested enough in Bond to see the next Bond film turn a profit that guarantees Bond 27?

True, any film these days can be a major hit or a flop. And Bond films have always managed to be a success. But how much has changed since NTTD was released? Is the tried and true Bond formula still workable? Or are we to see something radically different? Assuming we see Bond 26 in 2026, the 18 year-old of 2026 would have been 13 years-old in when NTTD was released. I wonder how many in that 18-25 group have much interest in a Bond film. Selling the film to a younger audience seems a huge challenge.

I suspect we overcomplicate it actually. The Bond films have always kept themselves modern/relevant in some form. It comes with the nature of making these films contemporary, and indeed drawing on contemporary ideas for each new story.

The 18-25 demographic will see the next Bond film. I’d worry more about the 40+ age range who I’d argue are more likely to complain about something to do with a new Bond film/are less likely to see a new release in the cinema.
    If the project 007 videogame lives up to the hype EON will have at least some interest from the younger demographic. The problem is they don't seem to target that group much anymore, except when it comes to the title song artist.
  • edited May 11 Posts: 718
    Well it's my not fault. Or is it?!
    Mwahahaha
    I am still surprised they have never got Bond into Fortnite. That would be a big way to target the younger demographic.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I own Hitman, but have never played it. I've heard that it is good and it's not just a shoot-em up, and I like the idea of planning and stealth in a Bond game, so it might well be a good marriage between IO and 007. Modern games are so huge, though... I wonder if it will be out before the new film, or after it?
    Whether it turns out to be anything tangible or just another red herring, it’s fun to have a bit of activity; things have been very quiet… which probably means something is afoot. Let’s see what Monday brings.
  • edited May 11 Posts: 514

Jeff Sneider is not a credible reporter in the slightest. He posts anything and everything he "hears". He is a laughing stock among actual reporters who do actual work.

Understanding media literacy — in its original definition, of vetting sources and applying critical analysis — is imperative in the post-truth online era where any two-bit hack can grab a megaphone and act like they are Walter Cronkite.
    BMB007 wrote: »

Jeff Sneider is not a credible reporter in the slightest. He posts anything and everything he "hears". He is a laughing stock among actual reporters who do actual work.

Understanding media literacy — in its original definition, of vetting sources and applying critical analysis — is imperative in the post-truth online era where any two-bit hack can grab a megaphone and act like they are Walter Cronkite.

True, but as is said, “Every squirrel finds a nut” ; Monday we’ll see if this squirrel has any nuts.

That’s absolutely ridiculous. Jeff Sneider is a credible reporter. A couple of days ago he was the first to report that Sigourney Weaver was in talks to appear in the next Star Wars film. Which news was then picked up by trustworthy sites such as The Hollywood Reporter.

Even more ridiculous is that you talk about the importance of media literacy and insinuate that I don’t have it, when it appears it’s something you don’t know much about.
  • edited May 11 Posts: 514

That’s absolutely ridiculous. Jeff Sneider is a credible reporter. A couple of days ago he was the first to report that Sigourney Weaver was in talks to appear in the next Star Wars film. Which news was then picked up by trustworthy sites such as The Hollywood Reporter.

Even more ridiculous is that you talk about the importance of media literacy and insinuate that I don’t have it, when it appears it’s something you don’t know much about.

He just fell for the most obvious fake story ever regarding Sydney Sweeney and Johnny Depp.

I have talked to people who actually do this work for a living, and I have heard how they talk about him. I don't pull this card often because it's pathetic for one to big time off of their acquaintance's accomplishments but this guy is a total fraud.

You see his time in sports reporting all the time — something I'm more familiar with my own first-hand experience. These guys who say everything under the sun, pick a bunch of fights to raise their attention. They promote the few times they were right (which are the result of dumb luck), and bury the numerous times they are wrong.

This line of work is about reputation, one's word is only worth their reputation. He has his reputation for a reason.

I don't understand this obsession Bond fans have with signal boosting charlatans, whether this or whenever Ruimy posts one of his numerous fictitious stories or the British tabloids. There are actual outlets who do real work of confirming with multiple sources and cross-referencing information. Listen to them!
    I’ll believe any type of news when it’s actually reported by EON or other official sources. Until then I’m personally done listening to scoopers trying to gain a few clicks for their articles.
    @BMB007 I've been following Sneider's online activity for years. He absolutely isn't a "charlatan". Does he have a perfect track record? No. Probably nobody does. Does he have a very good track reckord? Yes! Which is why so many subscribe to his newsletter.

As for some people in the business talking badly about him, he has an outspoken, sometimes grating personality that can rub people the wrong way. But that has nothing to do with his credibility.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited May 11 Posts: 23,639
    I’ll believe any type of news when it’s actually reported by EON or other official sources. Until then I’m personally done listening to scoopers trying to gain a few clicks for their articles.

Voila. If it's not EON reporting it, I'm not buying it. I'll happily risk not giving some hypothetical YouTuber the credit he's due. Too many rumours have plagued us before; too much empty speculation has bothered us before.
  • edited May 11 Posts: 505
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Voila. If it's not EON reporting it, I'm not buying it. I'll happily risk not giving some hypothetical YouTuber the credit he's due. Too many rumours have plagued us before; too much empty speculation has bothered us before.
    When did EON first officially state that Sam Mendes was working on Skyfall ("Bond 23" back then)? Certainly not back in January 2010, when Deadline.com first reported it. My point is that some sites (Deadline, Variety, The Hollywood Reporter) are nearly as credible as official announcements.

Then there are sources that are not quite as credible as those sites but still are very much worth paying attention to, and it's fun speculating about credible rumours posted by those sources. Wasn't it fun talking about Daniel Craig possibly becoming Bond, which we could do for half a year before the official announcement, thanks to rumours?
    Well, for what it's worth I'm not entirely sure whether those things were finalised when they were reported on in those outlets (especially Craig's casting, and I'm pretty sure inconsistencies between what he's said/the tabloid rumours about him getting a contract 6 months before he was announced have been mentioned here). Whatever way, it's probably best just to wait for official announcements and not 'rumour hop' as it were, even amongst 'reliable' sources. Until something has been officially announced by EON it's simply a rumour.