And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actress...page 134

Comments

• MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Stacey Sutton
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Moore's era is riddled with lousy female performances and you're too kind by not at least including Carole Bouquet in the list but settling for the secondary Bond girl of FYEO. But ultimately, she wouldn't be my choice overall anyway.

I was tempted to put her on the nominees. I think Carole was cast more for her look and the eyes than for acting ability. Outside of Seymour and Adams I don't think Moore had good leading ladies. Sure they looked good but not good actresses. Makes you marvel a bit more about Moore and his ability to compensate for a lackluster group of female leads.

• ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    thedove wrote: »
    Moore's era is riddled with lousy female performances and you're too kind by not at least including Carole Bouquet in the list but settling for the secondary Bond girl of FYEO. But ultimately, she wouldn't be my choice overall anyway.

I was tempted to put her on the nominees. I think Carole was cast more for her look and the eyes than for acting ability. Outside of Seymour and Adams I don't think Moore had good leading ladies. Sure they looked good but not good actresses. Makes you marvel a bit more about Moore and his ability to compensate for a lackluster group of female leads.

I really think Lois Chiles was fine. I think Maud was great in TMWTGG, but controversially maybe, I feel she hams it up a bit in Octopussy. To be fair to her, though, she gets a couple corny scenes "...a PAID assassin!" As opposed to an unpaid assassin, I suppose.
    I thought Jane Seymour was the best of all the Moore Bond women. But if I had to choose 7 actresses from that era to play in the Moore films, here's my list in no order or indicating which film:

Talia Shire
    Faye Dunaway
    Brooke Adams
    Dianne Ladd
    Terri Garr
    Jenny Agutter
    Genevive Bujold

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited April 2 Posts: 4,398
    Chiles for me. Wooden and boring, imo. Bach is definitely also a fair choice.
    The other three had to play against weak character scenes but they do what they can. Yes, Stacey screams too much, yes Goodnight does stupid stuff and yes Bibi is a bit annoying sometimes but in my opinion there is always the script to blame and not the acting.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Since Bach is being taken care of quite well, I'll join @goldenswissroyale and nominate Chiles... Ever since I was a kid, she's grated on me... I accept her more in my old weariness, but, yes, she's more wooden than the trees in my front yard...
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    CrabKey wrote: »
    I thought Jane Seymour was the best of all the Moore Bond women. But if I had to choose 7 actresses from that era to play in the Moore films, here's my list in no order or indicating which film:

Talia Shire
    Faye Dunaway
    Brooke Adams
    Dianne Ladd
    Terri Garr
    Jenny Agutter
    Genevive Bujold

That's an interesting "alternative" universe. One could write a doctoral thesis on the Bond “girls” on the Roger Moore era. Often hyped as “Bond’s equal”, more often or not, however, they didn’t even live up to the strong roles exhibited by Honey Rider, Pussy Galore, Domino or Tracy of a decade earlier. Subjective I know.

Excluding Holly Lynne Johnson (Bibi Dahl) as she is more of a minor character, any one of the remaining four could get my vote. However, Tanya Roberts, Lois Chiles and Britt Ekland don’t really demerit their films significantly, as their respective films have other significant flaws. In short, TMWTGG, MR and AVTAK are already second tier movies (IMO) and the actresses’ performance doesn’t really impact that for me. That leaves Barbara Bach’s Anya Amasova.

Over the years, I’ve come to see Bach’s acting as a major blemish on TSWLM and it is the sole reason that the film has slipped somewhat in my rankings – although still a top ten. Wooden doesn't even begin to describe it!
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited April 2 Posts: 3,391
    As I flap back to the stage I am feeling like a cigarette but sadly don't have any sovereigns to pay for them.

The winner of best actor in a Henchman role is...Robert Shaw as Red Grant the performance garnered 8 votes. Dario received 2 votes (credit to @ProfJoeButcher) and Jaws both received one vote. No votes for OddJob which surprises me a bit.

Okay on to a Klebbie! Roger Moore had 7 leading ladies, lets dive in and select the worst Bond girl actor in a Roger Moore film.

The nominees are:
    • Tanya Roberts as Stacey Sutton in AVTAK. If acting was screaming Tanya would win. But her character does little else but scream and provide exposition for the audience benefit. There is precious little chemistry with Moore, although given the age difference that might be a good thing.
    • Lois Chiles as Dr. Holly Goodhead in MR. She gives as good as she gets. A tough no-nonsense woman who is seemingly in a race to beat Bond at every turn. This is never explored in the movie. I would describe her acting as wooden and rather flat. Not much chemistry with Moore.
    • Britt Ekland as Mary Goodnight in TMWTGG. The performance starts strong enough. But as the film plays out her performance seemingly gets worse and worse. The script plays her as a bumbling rookie agent but it becomes almost cringe worthy how the role is played. There was potential here but it was lost.
    • Barbara Bach as Anya Amasova in TSWLM. She does have some interesting scenes with Moore and plays them adequately. Like Lois in MR it would appear that she is sometimes wooden in her portrayal. While the movie is a large and big Barbara almost gets lost in the film and as such fails to leave much of a mark on the movie.
    • Holly Lynne Johnson as Bibi Dahl in FYEO. Is this the actor or the script that leaves us wanting? I would argue a bit of both. Holly does try her best but often comes off as an unlikeable brat, when I think the part was looking for a sympathetic teen who is being taken advantage of by Kristatos.

There you have it, our list of nominees, if you want to write in a vote please feel free.

Who delivers the worst performance as a Bond girl actress in a Roger Moore film?

Barbara Bach for me:

The rest of the Bond Girls at least did the either sides of the coin: Stacey Sutton and Britt Ekland, while annoying as characters, but I think they've just did what's written on the script and are proven to be experienced actresses who had appeared in other films before Bond, I think they've just did their job of what was written, Lois Chiles, while not being a good actor, has a great character, Holly Goodhead is probably the only one who had been Bond's equal in the Moore Era, she had proven herself to be as tough and independent, and resourceful as Bond himself is.

Now, let's talk about Barbara Bach and her character, Anya Amasova, for me, she failed to hit the either sides: Her character did nothing in the film, what had she done? For me, she did nothing at all, and she's even the one who needs the saving from Bond in some scenes, she's just there to intimidate, but really? She did nothing, she's beefed up as 'Bond's equal' but failed to hit the mark, she's just passive throughout the film, we've never seen her full potential.

Next, the other side of the coin: Her acting, she's definitely wooden, not just wooden but monotone, with obvious line readings, unconvincing and terrible Russian accent, she's almost robotic in her performance, it just didn't helped at all, she's not believable in her performance, she had no facial expressions or whatsoever, she's like a mannequin throughout the film, she can't convey much emotions, and added to it was the lack of spark between her and Moore's Bond.

She had doubled it down, a mediocre, not fleshed out character and a wooden acting, she failed to hit both sides.

She's just overshadowed by the fact that TSWLM is an iconic film, but if not for that status, I doubt she's going to be put in such a high regard, what an overrated Bond Girl.
  • edited April 3 Posts: 724
    was she killed by Wint and Kidd?

Maybe it didn't matter because the target of the movies was 13 year old boys.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    As I flap back to the stage I am feeling like a cigarette but sadly don't have any sovereigns to pay for them.

The winner of best actor in a Henchman role is...Robert Shaw as Red Grant the performance garnered 8 votes. Dario received 2 votes (credit to @ProfJoeButcher) and Jaws both received one vote. No votes for OddJob which surprises me a bit.

Okay on to a Klebbie! Roger Moore had 7 leading ladies, lets dive in and select the worst Bond girl actor in a Roger Moore film.

The nominees are:
    • Tanya Roberts as Stacey Sutton in AVTAK. If acting was screaming Tanya would win. But her character does little else but scream and provide exposition for the audience benefit. There is precious little chemistry with Moore, although given the age difference that might be a good thing.
    • Lois Chiles as Dr. Holly Goodhead in MR. She gives as good as she gets. A tough no-nonsense woman who is seemingly in a race to beat Bond at every turn. This is never explored in the movie. I would describe her acting as wooden and rather flat. Not much chemistry with Moore.
    • Britt Ekland as Mary Goodnight in TMWTGG. The performance starts strong enough. But as the film plays out her performance seemingly gets worse and worse. The script plays her as a bumbling rookie agent but it becomes almost cringe worthy how the role is played. There was potential here but it was lost.
    • Barbara Bach as Anya Amasova in TSWLM. She does have some interesting scenes with Moore and plays them adequately. Like Lois in MR it would appear that she is sometimes wooden in her portrayal. While the movie is a large and big Barbara almost gets lost in the film and as such fails to leave much of a mark on the movie.
    • Holly Lynne Johnson as Bibi Dahl in FYEO. Is this the actor or the script that leaves us wanting? I would argue a bit of both. Holly does try her best but often comes off as an unlikeable brat, when I think the part was looking for a sympathetic teen who is being taken advantage of by Kristatos.

There you have it, our list of nominees, if you want to write in a vote please feel free.

Who delivers the worst performance as a Bond girl actress in a Roger Moore film?

Barbara Bach for me:

The rest of the Bond Girls at least did the either sides of the coin: Stacey Sutton and Britt Ekland, while annoying as characters, but I think they've just did what's written on the script and are proven to be experienced actresses who had appeared in other films before Bond, I think they've just did their job of what was written, Lois Chiles, while not being a good actor, has a great character, Holly Goodhead is probably the only one who had been Bond's equal in the Moore Era, she had proven herself to be as tough and independent, and resourceful as Bond himself is.

Now, let's talk about Barbara Bach and her character, Anya Amasova, for me, she failed to hit the either sides: Her character did nothing in the film, what had she done? For me, she did nothing at all, and she's even the one who needs the saving from Bond in some scenes, she's just there to intimidate, but really? She did nothing, she's beefed up as 'Bond's equal' but failed to hit the mark, she's just passive throughout the film, we've never seen her full potential.

Next, the other side of the coin: Her acting, she's definitely wooden, not just wooden but monotone, with obvious line readings, unconvincing and terrible Russian accent, she's almost robotic in her performance, it just didn't helped at all, she's not believable in her performance, she had no facial expressions or whatsoever, she's like a mannequin throughout the film, she can't convey much emotions, and added to it was the lack of spark between her and Moore's Bond.

She had doubled it down, a mediocre, not fleshed out character and a wooden acting, she failed to hit both sides.

She's just overshadowed by the fact that TSWLM is an iconic film, but if not for that status, I doubt she's going to be put in such a high regard, what an overrated Bond Girl.
    I think @Luds used to call her 'alien', to the frustration of @Benny. I wonder, should the klebbie go to the woman who has no admirers at all in the Bond community? 😁
    Chiles, for me. Depspite her faults, at least Barbara Bach exuded sexuality when she moved. Not so with Lois Chiles, as pretty as she is. Rewatching the film, I got the impression I was seeing a block of wood.
    edited April 4 Posts: 3,391
    Gerard wrote: »
    Chiles, for me. Depspite her faults, at least Barbara Bach exuded sexuality when she moved. Not so with Lois Chiles, as pretty as she is. Rewatching the film, I got the impression I was seeing a block of wood.

I don't see any problem with a woman not exceeding sexuality, Natalya of GE was not sexualized, the same for Kara of TLD.

For all of Chiles' flaws, her character was tough though, I give her that, Holly Goodhead is what Anya Amasova should have been, she doesn't need to move with an air of sexuality in her, because all she showed was toughness, she's not attracting Bond with her charms, she's minding her own business, she's like the proto Pam Bouvier for me, at least.
    SIS_HQ wrote: »

The nominees are:

Barbara Bach for me:

I think @Luds used to call her 'alien', to the frustration of @Benny. I wonder, should the klebbie go to the woman who has no admirers at all in the Bond community? 😁

I actually think she has a lot of admirers in this community, I actually think she's pretty overrated as a Bond Girl, she even overshadows other Moore Bond Girls that are miles better than Anya herself, like Holly or Octopussy.

If we're talking about Moore Bond Girls, it all came down to my observation that she had simply failed to hit both marks: acting and character, she failed to hit those.

The other Bond Girls still had the other sides of the coin checked: Some are not good characters but it's not their fault, they're just acting out what's written in the script, in a way yes, they're experienced actresses and they've acted it well, if following the script.

While some while not good actresses have great characters, this applies to Lois Chiles' Holly Goodhead.

With Barbara Bach's Anya Amasova, she had no redeeming qualities, she's just beautiful to look at (although I'm not even fond of her looks, she's sexy yes, but there were many other Bond Girls who are more beautiful looking than her though, I've even watched her in Give My Regards To Broad Street and she's just okay looking, she's sexy I give her that).
    When an actor isn't comfortable in a role, that is what they project. They're having to work at it. Bach, among others, wasn't natural in the role. She was trying to be something she was not. Some actors can play anything, while others are quite limited in what they can do. Bach was a model for whom a cool detachment suited the runway but not the screen. With the exception of Jane Seymour, when I think of the Moore films, the actresses never spring to mind. When I think of the Connery and Lazenby films and CR, the actresses in those films do spring to mind.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    edited April 6 Posts: 4,982
    Time for me to hit the stage and declare the winner of the Klebbie.

The worst performance by a female actor in a Roger Moore film is Barbara Bach as Anya Amasova in TSWLM. She received 6 votes.

Also gaining votes were Lois Chiles As Dr. Goodhead with 5 votes and Tanya Roberts as Stacey Sutton earning two votes"

The Dove was recently discussing with Junior Dove a ranking of the theme songs of the Daniel Craig era. We shall make history and do a double vote. Please share best and worst song from the Daniel Craig films. The nominees are:
    • You Know My Name from Casino Royale, a banger (according to Dove Jr.) and a great way to kick off a new James Bond. The guitar and pulsing drums this song has a lot going for it.
    • Another Way to Die from Quantum of Solace, this is weird mash-up of Jack White and Alicia Keys. The first duet of a James Bond theme song. This one has the riffs but does it work as a song.
    • Skyfall from Skyfall Adele took home the Oscar for this song. It harkens back to the soundtracks of old but gives it a contemporary feel. I think it captures the mood of the film perfectly
    • The Writings on the Wall from Spectre Sam Smith haunting vocals make this sound very different from other Bond themes. Sam took the Oscar for this song.
    • No Time to Die from No Time to Die Billie Eilish delivers a very atmospheric song to this movie. Hans Zimmer was able to incorporate her vocals into other parts of the soundtrack. Another Oscar winner for the series.

Dear esteemed academy members, which song is getting your vote for a Bondie and which song is getting the Klebbie
  • Skyfall gets the Bondie, Another Way to Die gets the Klebbie.
    'You know my name' gets the Bondie, 'Skyfall' gets the Klebbie for me!
    A punchy, catchy opener beats a gloom/doom downer!
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    You know my Bondie
    Another Klebbie to die
  • peterpeter Toronto
    You Know My Name for the Bondie.
    (a close runner-up is SF)

The Writing’s On The Wall for the Klebbie.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    You Know My Name for the Bondie.
    Writing's On The Wall for the Klebbie.
    Skyfall gets the Bondie, Another Way to Die gets the Klebbie.

Same here.
    edited April 6 Posts: 3,391
    Skyfall for Bondie (Bombastic and very reminiscent of Shirley Bassey Classic Bond themes).

No Time To Die for Klebbie (No energy, dreadful, boring of a theme song for me, someone in Reddit described it as Eilish whispering while singing in an elevator tune, Writings On The Wall, and Another Way To Die at least I could listen outside of Bond, as an individual theme song on their own, just like Madonna's DAD, but No Time To Die literally puts me to sleep).
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    You Know My Name for Bondie

No time to die for the klebbie
    YKMN-Driving, forceful, something that announces action. Also has the best lyrics.
    I don't ever think about AWTD. As for the last three, dreary and lyrics that seem chosen more for the rhyme than actual sense. I prefer NTTD to SF and WOTW, but the lyric, "Was I stupid...." always strikes me as odd. Just can't imagine Bond saying that.

I do hope we're over the melancholy Bond. Time for someone without emotional baggage.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Skyfall for the Bondie, and No Time to Die for the Klebbie.

Want to throw in that my main complaint about NTTD is the use of the word "just" to fill in a syllable in the melody. Very very lazy: "there's just no time to die". So lazy.

All five of these songs are at least decent though.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    You Know My Name for the Bondie. A Bondian earthworm.
    No Time To Die for the Klebbie. Not that it's dead terrible, but it's my least favourite theme from the Craig Era. It's only halfway through the song that some energy kicks in.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I'm stunned that NTTD is losing out against AWTD, which is no more than a screamfest wasting the talents of at least one great singer (Keys) whose qualities are solidly smothered and her weaknesses enlarged. I seldom heard a 'song' where they seem to kill the artists career rather than promote it. Why anyone thinks Jack White is a musician is beyond me.

So, klebbie, AWTD.

Now, for the Bondie, I'd go for YKMN. A song that brought something completely new to the Bond universe and is probably the best introduction-song in the franchise. Skyfall sure is an excellent song as well, it grew on me considerably, and it has a more classic feel to it. Still, it doesn't beat the raw, pumped up, powerful introduction that YKMN provided for DC.
    AWTD has grown on me over the years. The first few opening seconds is simply an alternate version of YKMN.
    AWTD has grown on me over the years. The first few opening seconds is simply an alternate version of YKMN.

The rest of the seconds, however, are meant to destroy your ears instead of prepare you for an adventure. Even though I can now actually listen to it without getting hurt, I think it's by far the worst song in the frenchise, even beating Madonna's DAD. I understand why people hate that song, especially the lyrics, but it's listenable. It has melody, rythm, etc. AWTD doesn't have a decearnable melody at all. Nor does it have on-tone singing. It hardly has singing at all.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    YKMN
    AWTD

The rest of the seconds, however, are meant to destroy your ears instead of prepare you for an adventure. Even though I can now actually listen to it without getting hurt, I think it's by far the worst song in the frenchise, even beating Madonna's DAD. I understand why people hate that song, especially the lyrics, but it's listenable. It has melody, rythm, etc. AWTD doesn't have a decearnable melody at all. Nor does it have on-tone singing. It hardly has singing at all.

Yeah, but I think Arnold used it twice in his score. I can understand you, but I think the song isn't entirely bad.