Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 1 Posts: 8,090
    It does seem a bit strange sometimes when people say "why should EON be in a rush?" "Why don't you just watch the old films again?"

Yes, as a fan I would like to see the series continue, and I would very much like to see some signs of development on the next entry given its been over 2 years since the last one, and 4 years since they wrapped filming. Shoot me.

I don't find it particularly entitled for fans being ready for updates on a thing after a few years have past - that's normal IMO. If EON came out in June 2022 and said "Barbara Broccoli and Micheal G Wilson are happy to announce they are currently working the writers on the script for Bond 26, and the film will be released in November 2025." Then I don't think fans would have any reason to worry, because they would be filled in on the picture. Then you could say fans aren't being patient enough, they should sit tight and just let EON get on with it. But it's been years, and as has been pointed out, bond 26 isn't even officially confirmed to be in the pipeline yet. The longer that goes without any statement, the less it looks like 2026 will be viable, and once that's no longer the target, then we've officially entered "limbo". In the past even when there's been a long delay, there's been a clearly defined and explicit reason, usually involving legal troubles. Barbara keeps making statements about how there's nothing going on, about how they need to reinvent the character first, but then they don't seem to be taking the steps to start that process going, or at least they haven't for some time. Okay, you're reinventing the character, so why not announce that you've hired a writer and are working on what direction you want to take things? I know people will say, "why does EON have to keep fans clued in on everything?" But it's just something to reassure people that the ball is in motion now, that's all.
  • edited April 1 Posts: 708
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Some people act like James Bond fans, that's all.

Hm. Interesting thesis. I wonder what it means. Please enlighten this forum.

Bond fans act like Bond fans. It's not difficult to understand. This is a forum, people have opinions.

Bond and EON are not the same...you know. People want to see more Bond movies.

Barbara seems like a nice person but I want to watch Bond movies. This is what matters.
    ;)
  • edited April 1 Posts: 2,911
    It’s one thing for a production company to say they’re working with writers on outlines or are in early planning stages (fine, I guess that’s their prerogative one way or the other) but why would they give a release date at that point? You can’t really have that until official pre production has begun, and of course with the added task of casting Bond it adds extra work. Even CR had to push its release date back because they couldn’t make 2005 work.

Honestly, I’d say fans would be more pissed off if they were constantly teased irrelevant early details and given dates for a release that wouldn’t be met. Not all fans here understand just how long this process takes from an outline to anything substantial. I’m personally fine with an official press release when we have a director, and perhaps release date. We’ll eventually get a Bond months later, and then a film later still.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It’s April 1st, beware any “ announcements”
    007HallY wrote: »
    It’s one thing for a production company to say they’re working with writers on outlines or are in early planning stages (fine, I guess that’s their prerogative one way or the other) but why would they give a release date at that point? You can’t really have that until official pre production has begun, and of course with the added task of casting Bond it adds extra work. Even CR had to push its release date back because they couldn’t make 2005 work.

Honestly, I’d say fans would be more pissed off if they were constantly teased irrelevant early details and given dates for a release that wouldn’t be met. I’m personally fine with an official press release when we have a director, and perhaps release date. We’ll eventually get a Bond months later, and then a film later still.

It doesn't have to be a release date, that was just an example. It's been 2.5 years, just something to say we're finally moving ahead with development would be good.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Benny wrote: »
    Nolan is very expensive, he’s just won an Oscar on the back of a very successful film, that he and his wife wrote and produced.
    It’s true that Amazon have very deep pockets. But they’re also a business. Why hire Nolan when they can get director X for a fraction of the price?
    When has the argument been destroyed and torn to shreds?
    Are we talking legitimately or in your opinion?
    I think Eon did retool the Bond franchise in the Craig era to be seen as a high-quality gold-standard franchise. We got Jeffrey Wright, one of the best actors working today, as Felix rather than a cheaper substitute who would have sufficed for what is generally a pretty small part. Ditto for many of the players on-screen, when in previous eras we'd have got much cheaper names. The same is true for behind the camera, with Skyfall's success seeming to give Eon a taste for big name directors and cinematographers.

I think the question is whether the business with Boyle walking out over creative differences plus the loss of Craig will make Eon a little less willing to go for an expensive big-name director behind the camera?

I think Nolan and Villeneuve are very much in keeping with the kind of prestige names Eon want associated with a modern Bond production, I just don't know how viable that is with a new, untried actor playing Bond. Nolan or Villeneuve would certainly signal to the public that Eon are still very serious about producing a high-level film, so it would be a great coup to get one of these guys, and might off-set the potentially unknown actor in the lead.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Honestly, I’d say fans would be more pissed off if they were constantly teased irrelevant early details and given dates for a release that wouldn’t be met. I’m personally fine with an official press release when we have a director, and perhaps release date. We’ll eventually get a Bond months later, and then a film later still.

It doesn't have to be a release date, that was just an example. It's been 2.5 years, just something to say we're finally moving ahead with development would be good.

They are moving ahead.
    We just don’t need to know what, or how far along they are with it.
    Bond 26 will come when Bond 26 is ready.
    Stop whinging like a spoiled brat.
    You are owed nothing. As a fan you are entitled to nothing.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited April 1 Posts: 2,932
    Note the language in that Daily Mail piece: 'could', 'if', 'potentially.' Even if it wasn't 1st April, it couldn't reveal itself as baseless tripe any more clearly if it substituted Rebel Wilson for Zendaya. Thinking about it, we should be thankful that the Mail's forgotten about Rebel's alleged future involvement with Bond or the yarns would be even more wearing than they already are.

I added something to that first post. Like I said, not everyone understands just how long this process can take from development to pre-production. There are likely numerous things to organise or even problems we don’t know about. Think of it like this: we get such an update from EON that they’ve had meetings with writers and are discussing ideas, outlines, and doing preliminary stuff to secure brands, actors, budgets, talent etc. Such an announcement gets all us fans here and off these forums excited. Bond 26 will be here soon! Imagine then having to wait another 2 years or more for anything substantial like a director’s name or a release date. Or even more a slap in the face word of a first draft being completed. It causes problems. It’s not a good look for EON and would impact their reputation amongst fans/viewers.

Official announcements of pre-production can be a big thing for Bond, but they have to get to that point.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited April 1 Posts: 23,553
    It does seem a bit strange sometimes when people say "why should EON be in a rush?" "Why don't you just watch the old films again?"

Yes, as a fan I would like to see the series continue, and I would very much like to see some signs of development on the next entry given its been over 2 years since the last one, and 4 years since they wrapped filming. Shoot me.

I don't find it particularly entitled for fans being ready for updates on a thing after a few years have past - that's normal IMO.

Yes, it is normal as long as it doesn't turn into an obsession. See, when DN was released, they could have called it a day, but they had optioned most of the Bond books and with the success of the films growing, they kept going, which was the natural thing to do. Still, to keep going into the '70s, then the '80s, even the '90s... hell, even past the turn of the century, is an extraordinary achievement. Every next Bond film is a special gift, not something trivial. And it should never be something trivial. When the next one is announced, I'll get really excited, but until then, I'm not impatiently refreshing the homepage of the official 007 website for news. I'm not "expecting" anything, that's the point. The way some are behaving,

DAY X: new Bond film arrives
    DAY X + 1: when is the next one coming? I want it! Now!!

has nothing to do with being a fan anymore, it's just extreme consumerism. We'll get another Bond film... when we get it. EON will announce their plans... when they do. They owe us nothing, expect a really good Bond film in the end. How long it takes them to get there, or how much they leak to the press during production is entirely up to them. We pay for a movie, not for a seat at the table, not for scoops, and not for "fast delivery" of our order. That's where you and I fundamentally disagree, @Mendes4Lyfe.

And yes, watch the films that we have. Ask yourself: why are you a Bond fan? Because of (some of) the films already made, or because of an insatiable desire for more? With 25 (or even 27) Bond films in the archive, surely it's not unreasonable to suggest that you have plenty of material to have fun with.

Here's another thing to ask yourself: do you want to outlive Bond, or do you want Bond to outlive you? Do you want to witness them closing the books on Bond for good, or live in mortal fear of possibly missing out on the greatest Bond film ever made?
    But it's just something to reassure people that the ball is in motion now, that's all.

You're a grown-up man. You know that Bond films make money, you keep reminding us that the brand is still strong. So of course there's going to be another film. We can all reassure ourselves. They have said it, in fact. "James Bond will return." Now you're just hurting yourself obsessing over release dates that you have zero control over.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    Great post, @DarthDimi ^:)^
    Extreme consumerism is better than blind faith.

This feels like a quote that should be over an image of Andrew Tate or Elon Musk or someone like that 😂 what’s even going on?

This feels like a quote that should be over an image of Andrew Tate or someone like that 😂 what’s even going on?

I don't know, ask the guy who lectured us.

This feels like a quote that should be over an image of Andrew Tate or someone like that 😂 what’s even going on?

Ok 😂

Not really sure what more there is to say. No one can snap their fingers and make a Bond film appear. None of us have any impact on what they’re going to do. I mean, I know some people don’t like hearing this, but there’s nothing more we can do than relax, perhaps revisit the previous Bond films as fans, and keep an eye out for any non-film related Bond media that might interest us in the meantime. I dunno, no point in getting wound up over stuff you can’t control.

I don't find it particularly entitled for fans being ready for updates on a thing after a few years have past - that's normal IMO.

Yes, it is normal as long as it doesn't turn into an obsession. See, when DN was released, they could have called it a day, but they had optioned most of the Bond books and with the success of the films growing, they kept going, which was the natural thing to do. Still, to keep going into the '70s, then the '80s, even the '90s... hell, even past the turn of the century, is an extraordinary achievement. Every next Bond film is a special gift, not something trivial. And it should never be something trivial. When the next one is announced, I'll get really excited, but until then, I'm not impatiently refreshing the homepage of the official 007 website for news. I'm not "expecting" anything, that's the point. The way some are behaving,

has nothing to do with being a fan anymore, it's just extreme consumerism. We'll get another Bond film... when we get it. EON will announce their plans... when they do. They owe us nothing, expect a really good Bond film in the end. How long it takes them to get there, or how much they leak to the press during production is entirely up to them. We pay for a movie, not for a seat at the table, not for scoops, and not for "fast delivery" of our order. That's where you and I fundamentally disagree, @Mendes4Lyfe.

And yes, watch the films that we have. Ask yourself: why are you a Bond fan? Because of (some of) the films already made, or because of an insatiable desire for more? With 25 (or even 27) Bond films in the archive, surely it's not unreasonable to suggest that you have plenty of material to have fun with.

Here's another thing to ask yourself: do you want to outlive Bond, or do you want Bond to outlive you? Do you want to witness them closing the books on Bond for good, or live in mortal fear of possibly missing out on the greatest Bond film ever made?
    But it's just something to reassure people that the ball is in motion now, that's all.

You're a grown-up man. You know that Bond films make money, you keep reminding us that the brand is still strong. So of course there's going to be another film. We can all reassure ourselves. They have said it, in fact. "James Bond will return." Now you're just hurting yourself obsessing over release dates that you have zero control over.

Okay, but when did my post refer to any of the highlighted above?

I'll restate it: I don't think it's entitled to expect some kind of status update on where things are two and a half years since the last film was released."

Is that extreme consumerism? wanting scoops or fast delivery? obsessively refreshing the homepage?

I don't care when the film releases, I don't need to be filled in on every detail, as long as we know the work is happening. That the next film is actively being developed. Right now we assume it is, but we don't know.

Ok 😂

Not really sure what more there is to say. No one can snap their fingers and make a Bond film appear. None of us have any impact on what they’re going to do. I mean, I know some people don’t like hearing this, but there’s nothing more we can do than relax, perhaps revisit the previous Bond films as fans, and keep an eye out for any non-film related Bond media that might interest us in the meantime. I dunno, no point in getting wound up over stuff you can’t control.

I don't think anyone has implied otherwise, unless I missed something?
    With a more affordable actor, director and crew, this can mean more elaborate stunts, locations, sets, marketing etc

Okay, but when did my post refer to any of the highlighted above?

I'll restate it: I don't think it's entitled to expect some kind of status update on where things are two and a half years since the last film was released."

Is that extreme consumerism? wanting scoops or fast delivery? obsessively refreshing the homepage?

I don't care when the film releases, I don't need to be filled in on every detail, as long as we know the work is happening. That the next film is actively being developed. Right now we assume it is, but we don't know.

Ok 😂

I don't think anyone has implied otherwise, unless I missed something?

I didn’t say anyone did. It’s just a general expression.
    With a more affordable actor, director and crew, this can mean more elaborate stunts, locations, sets, marketing etc

I suppose the flip side of that is a more experienced/prestige director could potentially make a Bond film that uses a lower budget but maximises what they do with all of those things (so like Mendes with SF). It really depends though.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    My first Bond film in the cinema was Octopussy. At the end it proclaimed, James Bond will return in From A View To A Kill.
    Wow, there would be another film, and we already had the title!
    And every film before this revealed the title of the next film too come.
    Then at the end of A View To A Kill it said, James Bond will return. It’s done so ever since.
    I wonder, diid original fans lose their minds not knowing what the next film would be called.
    I know from OP to LTK a new Bond film came around like clockwork.
    And then nothing. No news, no talk, no rumours. There was no internet to ask a forum what might be happening. It was pretty much 6 years of silence when it came to James Bond. Occasionally a snippet of something might appear in Empire. But it was never anything substantial.
    Then the Brosnan films took us back to an almost similar cycle that we’d enjoyed before.
    Then another hiatus. Between DAD and CR, not only that we got another long wait and a new Bond.
    A different Bond. A controversial Bond. Who happened to pay off for the most part. A large portion of Bond fans embraced Craig, along with many of the general movie going audiences around the world.
    But then the films took longer to be released. The production took longer, Craig wouldn’t commit to another film, the cycle was broken.
    Mix into that a worldwide pandemic, the likes of which most people had never seen before, and the world not just James Bond was all over the place.
    As if that wasn’t enough at the end of NTTD or Bond 25 to some, I have no idea why? It’s much quicker to type NTTD. Anyway at the end of the most recent film, James Bond dies!
    Now this really got fans in a spin.
    Some of us went along with it. It was part of the Craig story arc. Some fans were appalled, aghast and highly offended. They saw Barbara Broccoli as the evil producer who wanted to emasculate James Bond. An unusual move to destroy one’s own billion dollar cash cow, that has been constantly supplying the world of cinema with new adventures for 60+ years, with an audience still excited to see the next instalment.
    So now after a few years since the end of NTTD, where are we?
    We don’t know.
    Why?
    Because there’s nothing to know, nothing to share.
    Maybe the wait for Bond 26 will be as long as the time from LTK till GE. Who knows.
    I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.
    But I do know that,
    James Bond will return.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    My first Bond film in the cinema was Octopussy. At the end it proclaimed, James Bond will return in From A View To A Kill.
    Then at the end of A View To A Kill it said, James Bond will return. It’s done so ever since.
    I wonder, diid original fans lose their minds not knowing what the next film would be called.
    And then nothing. No news, no talk, no rumours. There was no internet to ask a forum what might be happening. It was pretty much 6 years of silence when it came to James Bond. Occasionally a snippet of something might appear in Empire. But it was never anything substantial.
    Then the Brosnan films took us back to an almost similar cycle that we’d enjoyed before.
    Then another hiatus. Between DAD and CR, not only that we got another long wait and a new Bond.
    A different Bond. A controversial Bond. Who happened to pay off for the most part. A large portion of Bond fans embraced Craig, along with many of the general movie going audiences around the world.
    But then the films took longer to be released. The production took longer, Craig wouldn’t commit to another film, the cycle was broken.
    Mix into that a worldwide pandemic, the likes of which most people had never seen before, and the world not just James Bond was all over the place.
    As if that wasn’t enough at the end of NTTD or Bond 25 to some, I have no idea why? It’s much quicker to type NTTD. Anyway at the end of the most recent film, James Bond dies!
    Some of us went along with it. It was part of the Craig story arc. Some fans were appalled, aghast and highly offended. They saw Barbara Broccoli as the evil producer who wanted to emasculate James Bond. An unusual move to destroy one’s own billion dollar cash cow, that has been constantly supplying the world of cinema with new adventures for 60+ years, with an audience still excited to see the next instalment.
    We don’t know.
    Why?
    Maybe the wait for Bond 26 will be as long as the time from LTK till GE. Who knows.
    But I do know that,
    James Bond will return.

Amen to that.

Well, it is more risky. Sometimes less money means less money for everything.

Well, it is more risky. Sometimes less money means less money for everything.

Yeah, I see this alot. People say, "if they could have kept the budget down, this movie would've been a hit" but less budget means less high profile actors, less set pieces, less locations. It ends up being a double edged sword.
    EON should post the following thing on instagram once April Fool's day is over:

"BOND 26. COMING SOON"

Just to build the hype. 😎

"BOND 26. COMING SOON"

Even that would be something. We want to hear it from the horses mouth.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    We don’t know.
    Why?
    But I do know that,
    James Bond will return.

Amen to that.

I was a Bond fan then, and we had to be very patient. There was an occasional snippet in Variety, but not much. And to be honest, around 1992-93, it started feeling like Bond would never happen again.

Would that today's fans would be as patient.

As for where Bond should go after Craig, a faithful adaptation of THR would do me nicely. A la TLD, use the short story as a launch pad into a bigger adventure.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    echo wrote: »
    We don’t know.
    Why?
    But I do know that,
    James Bond will return.

Amen to that.

I was a Bond fan then, and we had to be very patient. There was an occasional snippet in Variety, but not much. And to be honest, around 1992-93, it started feeling like Bond would never happen again.

Would that today's fans would be as patient.

As for where Bond should go after Craig, a faithful adaptation of THR would do me nicely. A la TLD, use the short story as a launch pad into a bigger adventure.

I agree that James Bond will return. I'm just thankful that I got a lot of Bond media that I haven't read/watched/played yet. Us James Bond are lucky in that regard!

As for story ideas and elements, I would use Forever and a Day for the starter and Carte Blanche for the sequel. You introduce Bond/May/MI6 regulars in FAAD, and Bond's recurring characters like Felix/etc. in CB. Also, to help make Bond and Blofeld different for the next era, I'd still say bring in May and Irma Bunt as recurring characters.

Let's try and get calm and less repetitive on this thread (and others) please. As I said before, Bond fans are one of the luckiest fandoms in the world! Let's try to be humble and grateful for what we have.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It’s quite fun to think which continuation novel/game/comic you’d adapt into a film if you had to pick from one or two.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    mtm wrote: »
    It’s quite fun to think which continuation novel/game/comic you’d adapt into a film if you had to pick from one or two.

Yes it is! I think the Union Trilogy by Raymond Benson would be great as well. I also think the basic storyline for Nobody Lives Forever by John Gardner would be great for a Cinematic Bond adventure. Replace Rahami with Blofeld and have him live. Make sure that the Bond actor would have 2 or 3 films done already before adapting. Solo by William Boyd would also be great for an older Bond. Always have Cinematic Bond be set in the modern day, though. These continuation novels do have a timeless feel.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

"BOND 26. COMING SOON"

Why would they post a lie after April Fools Day?
    Denbigh wrote: »

"BOND 26. COMING SOON"

Why would they post a lie after April Fools Day?

It better not be. :-w