Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    edited March 24 Posts: 155
    Denbigh wrote: »
    @Denbigh
    Point being? He only looks and acts better now. Pitch perfect for Bond.
    Well I just feel it puts into perspective how long some fans have been gunning for him to be Bond? It also lends itself to why some people may be unexcited by him as an option because he’s been doing the rounds for nearly a decade.

Well then, let me point the finger right back at BB and MGW. They've waited for far too long to make a decision. Water under the bridge. However, there is still time left for A. Turner to step in. I reckon most of us are just sick and tired of waiting, hence the popularity of this thread.
  • edited March 24 Posts: 704
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I think Kraven is a double edged sword for AJT personally, if it's successful he'll be tied up with that franchise, if it flops it doesn't rule him out, but makes him less attractive to the studio perhaps?

Kraven is an issue. They need someone without a franchise yet. Someone like Jacob Elordi but better.
  • edited March 24 Posts: 303
    peter wrote: »
    bondywondy wrote: »
    My gut feeling is Aaron Taylor-Johnson will be the next Bond (there are two big reasons why I say that and I think one big reason I think he may not be Bond).

Reason 1) He's having an affair with Bar...

Sorry that's not it. 🤭

Er... where was I? Erm.. Oh yeah! Reason 1)
    He ticks most of B Broccoli's boxes.
    Handsome but not excessively so. And therefore he isn't the opposite, he's not too average looking.
    Decent height.
    Decent resume. Made smaller and larger films. He's not a tv actor.
    Right age.
    Not that famous.
    Not known for one earlier role. For example Cavill had "you can't have Superman be Bond yadda yadda yadda." Johnson hasn't got that baggage.
    Cheap to hire. Cheap is a relative term, I guess. Taylor will probably want a decent amount but it won't be crazy big. It's not Dwayne Johnson level salary.
    Decent in interviews. He'll probably be fine doing press junkets and social media stuff.
    Maybe appeal to gen z?
    Decent actor with range. He played a young John Lennon.
    Done action roles so will be up to do a lot action in Bond 26.

Reason number 2)
    No opposition. If Barbara Broccoli genuinely believes there's no other strong candidates, Taylor-Johnson is certain to get the part. It's possible the Sun went over-the-top on reporting Taylor-Johnson as Bond because there are no credible alternatives or Barbara Broccoli thinks "Johnson is the guy" and the Sun jumped to the logical, if too early, conclusion Taylor-Johnson is Bond. That seems possible.

Reason why he won't be Bond...

If Kraven The Hunter flops - and post covid the superhero film genre has lost huge popularity, both Marvel and DC have had a number of flops - that could spell the end for Taylor-Johnson's chances of becoming Bond. I can't see Eon wanting to market Johnson if Kraven is a huge flop. Flops happen all the time and actors go onto the next job but I feel Kraven flopping would seriously damage Johnson's market value. I think it would look a 'hard sell' if Kraven flops and then Eon want to make out Johnson is the right candidate. People will post online saying "noone cared about Kraven. Why have they cast this guy as Bond?" I guarantee people will post those comments.

Overall, if Kraven is a moderate success or a hit, and if no other candidate comes forward (I don't think Eon will seriously consider Aidan Turner, Dan Stevens, Theo James, Tom Hughes etc), my guess is Aaron Taylor-Johnson will be the seventh Eon cast James Bond.

I’ll make a friendly and small wager with you, documented on this site: I’ll pay you the equivalent of $150 USD if ATJ is the next Bond. And if he’s not, you don’t have to pay me anything.

You have nothing to lose. In?

Peter,

It's a tempting offer. Hmm. 🤔

Well, if your offer if allowed on this site, not breaking any terms or conditions of use... okay, offer accepted. $150 wager. I'll take a screencapture of your post.

If Aaron Taylor-Johnson is cast I'll message you privately about my bank details. Thanks.

Regards,
    bondywondy
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I think Kraven is a double edged sword for AJT personally, if it's successful he'll be tied up with that franchise, if it flops it doesn't rule him out, but makes him less attractive to the studio perhaps?

Kraven is an issue. They need someone without a franchise yet. Someone like Jacob Elordi but better.

Yeah I'm not a fan of Elordi if I'm honest, I'm not keen on another Australian being Bond
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 24 Posts: 5,869
    @peter @bondywondy What happens if he’s cast as a villain? Do you each send eachother $75?
  • edited March 24 Posts: 303
    @peter @bondywondy What happens if he’s cast as a villain? Do you each send eachother $75?

;))

• shobairshobair London
    I think Charlie Hunnam is better choic for bond than Aaron Taylor Johnson.
  • peterpeter Toronto

That’s kind of a tie breaker and @bondywondy and I have agreed if that happens, we have to perform a duel. Twenty paces. And it’ll be posted to our favourite platform, Tic Toc…
  • edited March 24 Posts: 486
    Someone like Jacob Elordi but better.

The main issue with Jacob Elordi is that he is too tall. Bond should be slightly tall, not as tall as a basketball player. On a different note, congrats to @bondywondy in advance. You will win that $150.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited March 24 Posts: 2,928
    Obviously, the ATJ leak/hoax has blown up precisely because there not only isn't anything happening, there isn't even a hint of anything happening. It'd normally be just another rumour, Tom Hardy, Idris, Hiddlestone, blah, etc, but in the current vacuum the ATJ claim clangs a bit louder because there's no background noise to distract from it. The Sun aside, that's one reason it shouldn't be given any more weight than any other rumour over the years. On the other hand, as Mendes4Life said, it really does emphasise just how much interest there is in Bond, despite the 60-year history. Ours is the only series which commands that level of interest - and it's a good indication that the current gap won't hurt the next guy's run.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Someone like Jacob Elordi but better.

The main issue with Jacob Elordi is that he is too tall. Bond should be slightly tall, not as tall as a basketball player. On a different note, congrats to @bondywondy in advance. You will win that $150.

If you're so sure, @Colonel_Venus , time to put your money where your mouth is!

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Venutius wrote: »
    Obviously, the ATJ leak/hoax has blown up precisely because there not only isn't anything happening, there isn't even a hint of anything happening. It'd normally be just another rumour, Tom Hardy, Idris, Hiddlestone, blah, etc, but in the current vacuum the ATJ claim clangs a bit louder because there's no background noise to distract from it. The Sun aside, that's one reason it shouldn't be given any more weight than any other rumour over the years. On the other hand, as Mendes4Life said, it really does emphasise just how much interest there is in Bond, despite the 60-year history. Ours is the only series which commands that level of interest - and it's a good indication that the current gap won't hurt the next guy's run.

That's a great way of looking at it mate. Unfortunately I think you're correct to assume nothing is happening
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Exclusive: Inside Aaron Taylor-Johnson's Bond deal: Daniel Craig's 007 replacement could sign up for FOUR films after 'endless discussions' with bosses - who could add a 'fantasy' twist to the beloved spy franchise
    https://dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-13225041/inside-aaron-taylor-johnson-james-bond-film-deal.html

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Here we go again…
  • peterpeter Toronto
    This is from a discussion with a friend of this site who sent me the above link:

The first stinky thing is the “columnist” himself.

The second is the genre twist to fantasy.

The third and big and glaring contradiction to me is: lawyers negotiating his three of four pic deal, while ATJ is being fitted and measured for suits: I know, with absolute certainty that these two things aren’t happening simultaneously as they stated in the article. The actor, whether ATJ, or anyone else, would not come within ten kilometres of Pinewood, or anyone associated with EoN during lawyers negotiations. Him being measured for suits during negotiations?? NOT. HAPPENING.

Also:
    No script.
    No director.
    No coronations (I keep asking: when was the last time Batman was given to someone with zero tests? Superman? James Bond? Even if this was Daniel Day Lewis, I bet they’d still be testing, 😂! There are no coronations for these roles).

Nothing reported thus far comes even remotely close to this being real— especially the coronation part of him getting this role (with no script, no director).
    This is from a discussion with a friend of this site who sent me the above link:

The third and big and glaring contradiction to me is: lawyers negotiating his three of four pic deal, while ATJ is being fitted and measured for suits: I know, with absolute certainty that these two things aren’t happening simultaneously as they stated in the article. The actor, whether ATJ, or anyone else, would not come within ten kilometres of Pinewood, or anyone associated with EoN during lawyers negotiations. Him being measured for suits during negotiations?? NOT. HAPPENING.

Also:
    No script.
    No director.
    No coronations (I keep asking: when was the last time Batman was given to someone with zero tests? Superman? James Bond? Even if this was Daniel Day Lewis, I bet they’d still be testing, 😂! There are no coronations for these roles).

Nothing reported thus far comes even remotely close to this being real— especially the coronation part of him getting this role (with no script, no director).

It also should be noted that some of the more in the know sites have reported that Bond 26 hasn't even been officially greenlit by MGM / Amazon Studios.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Also:
    No script.
    No director.

It also should be noted that some of the more in the know sites have reported that Bond 26 hasn't even been officially greenlit by MGM / Amazon Studios.

That’s a kinda a big one, eh @Red_Snow … so these hacks expect us to believe that somehow, all rules have been broken for this one actor?
    A project with no start date.
    No greenlight.
    No director.
    No script.

But he’s negotiation a three of four pic deal, while being suited up?

None of this is remotely possible in the world outside of rag-journalism
    The fantasy element is that Aaron taylor johnson is cast as 007….

How did no one see this obvious joke except for me
    I genuinely wonder what the UK tabloids would do if EON went full James Gunn and started shutting down these rumours instantly.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited March 24 Posts: 5,979
    It's crazy that after 60 years, there's still so much buzz around bond and the next films. Die hard will forever be tied Bruce Willis, Indy to Harrison Ford, Jason Bourne to Matt Damon, MI to Tom Cruise, etc. Bond is one of the only few brands that can completely reinvent itself, and people will go along for the brand itself, not to see a certain actor play a beloved character again, or for nostalgia sake "look lightsabers!!" All we KNOW about a new Bond is that he will wear a tux and be the coolest guy in the room, and that's enough to pack out cinemas around the globe. It really is something special for that.

We have Roger Moore to thank for this. Second-best casting in the series. (Compare it to Bourne...Universal couldn't convince audiences that Jeremy Renner would work. He's basically Lazenby in that regard.)
    Lol @ this top comment, which is true:

"DonMacDingle
    Doncaster, United Kingdom
    5h ago
    that's the end of the Bond era then; this guy has zero gravitas nor charisma. His acting ability is questionable. No one is going to buy in to it for one film never mind four"
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    'Reportedly', 'claimed', 'according to', 'said to have' - there's a few clues there.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Genuine question, Im intrigued to know why ATJ? Don’t get me wrong, as we all know, I’m down for him in the role, no matter what others may think, but I’m just curious as to why the tabloids have picked him?
    Genuine question, Im intrigued to know why ATJ? Don’t get me wrong, as we all know, I’m down for him in the role, no matter what others may think, but I’m just curious as to why the tabloids have picked him?

His wife supposedly is friends with BB... One thing lead to the other, convo wise? We can only guess.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited March 24 Posts: 8,502
    I’ll tell you what I think is happening:

A script is being written, and Villeneuve will be attached as director, if it’s finished in a time that fits his schedule.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    A script is being written, and Villeneuve will be attached as director, if it’s finished in a time that fits his schedule.
    I’d be more than down for that and would make sense given his comments on a secret project that needs to see the light of day a lot quicker than his others.
    Villeneuve would be cool, but I'd prefer Paul effing Verhoeven to give it a whirl.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Kind of related to this, why did the big industry sites (Deadline, Variety, Hollywood Reporter), either gave a quick blurb (not using any of the investigative reporters) to The Sun’s article, or said nothing at all, and the week since the “breaking news” have dropped this story all together? That kinda tells me something.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Kind of related to this, why did the big industry sites (Deadline, Variety, Hollywood Reporter), either gave a quick blurb (not using any of the investigative reporters) to The Sun’s article, or said nothing at all, and the week since the “breaking news” have dropped this story all together? That kinda tells me something.
    It’s also strange to me because of how long each took their time to report on it themselves? If they were waiting for confirmation from their own sources, why bother positing? Did they panic and not wanna be behind the news in case there was truth to it? And then found out for themselves that it was bull?

Also @peter, going back to Villeneuve quickly, I'll be interested to see if Denis plans on collaborating with Jon Spaihts again after Dune?