And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actress...page 134

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    Ohhh that's my write-in, GF. "I'm afraid you lose the hole and the match."
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    DN. A wonderfully written and masterfully executed exchange that shows Bond at his most verbally ruthless.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited March 4 Posts: 2,514
    Dr No
    "So tell me, does the toppling of American missiles really compensate for having no hands?"

Probably one of my favourite lines from the series, the delivery from Connery is superb
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    It is LALD for me: Kananga appears sane and cerebral before that but then afterwards that moment he goes mad

I came in to vote Thunderball, but you make a good case. That's my vote too.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Kotto plays it so well and I can feel the anger and tension. Then he switches to this cool guy again when detailing his plans. A great scene.

I do have a soft spot for the Stromberg one too. The look from Stromberg and Bond with the innocent look like "what did I do?" has a nice subtle vibe to it. Soon after Stromberg is quizzing Bond about rare aquatic species.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Then The top-tierss for me DN, TB and GF, but I'll go for LALD, as it breaks Kananga's spiel, and that's what the needling is all about.
  • edited March 6 Posts: 665
    To Le chifre . " and now your enemies are going to know you died scratching my balls". Brilliant belittling of villain while under the proverbial cosh( or rope weapon)
    Excellent discussion and votes so far. We are facing another tie so lets see if any new academy members wish to chime in on this hotly contested battle.

Right now DN and LALD are in a dead heat with OP right on their tail.

Which film has the best goading of the villain?
    Okay we have a tie! We will need a tie breaker vote to break the tie.

Choice is either
    • LALD Bond doesn't talk to lackeys
    • DN Bond wants to avenge Quarrel and Strangways

Lets see which one the academy votes for to break the tie!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    LALD, if only because Bond is literally strapped to a chair with no obvious means of escape, and he still goads the villain/s.
  • Still LALD for me
    Sticking with LALD
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    sticking to LALD
    DN
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Dr No
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Dr.No.
    DN
    Thanks for all the tie breaker votes! We have a winner...I will dust off my nehru suit and proclaim the best goading of a villain goes to Doctor No!

Lets move back to the Klebbie side of things, based on the missed opportunities thread I thought we should look into the worst henchmen of the series. These folks for whatever reason, bad script, terrible acting, etc. These henchmen missed the mark in their performances. The nominees are:
    • Elvis from QOS this dude is just there. He's comic relief and rarely poses much of a threat to Bond. A bland henchman with no real character or menace.
    • Vargas from TB he doesn't smoke, doesn't drink, doesn't make love. What does Vargas do? We never really find out. He does have a cool death though, but not enough to redeem this colourless character.
    • Chang from MR Moonraker was a big film and had 2 henchmen. The result? Poor Chang is not given much to do or work with. He does provide some harm to Mister Bond but we never feel the menace or threat that a henchman should bring.
    • Hans from YOLT Hans stands tall and towers over most with his 6'8"frame. He should have been more memorable, and yet he doesn't have any dialogue and doesn't really do much for the film. The fight between Bond and the henchman should have stakes because they've tangled before. This fight is flat and lacks any tension because it's the first time Bond meets him.
    • Zao from DAD A rather bland henchman. Diamonds embedded in his face from Bond, that fits the craziness of this film. But the character is rather bland again. A great car chase is not enough to redeem this character.

So esteemed academy members, which performance deserves a kick in the shins? Which is the worst henchman in the series. As always feel free to do write in votes as there were others I had in mind but these were my top 5 or is that bottom five?
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Elvis… just Elvis
    edited March 24 Posts: 1,691
    I guess Hans. He's obviously meant to be a bit scary and intimidating, but he's bland and ineffective.

Elvis is likely to get a lot of votes, but at the very least, he does what he's intended to do. He's not meant to be scary or intimidating in any way, so he certainly didn't "miss the mark" in his performance. I enjoy him. I also like the back story the actors gave him: he's some family member that Greene had to give a job to!
    edited March 24 Posts: 1,368
    Hans for me too. I sometimes forget he's even a Bond henchman because of how unmemorable he was...a truly wasted potential. Elvis was meant to be a quirky Bond villain and he pulls it off effectively.
    edited March 24 Posts: 2,020
    Elvis. Worst character in the series, period!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I agree @SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ ... Elvis is more of a lackey, but Hans was this hulking mountain man that was seriously under utilized. He just stood in his corner, until he's cued up for his one fight scene.
    peter wrote: »
    I agree @SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ ... Elvis is more of a lackey, but Hans was this hulking mountain man that was seriously under utilized. He just stood in his corner, until he's cued up for his one fight scene.

Exactly.
    I guess Hans. He's obviously meant to be a bit scary and intimidating, but he's bland and ineffective.

Elvis is likely to get a lot of votes, but at the very least, he does what he's intended to do. He's not meant to be scary or intimidating in any way, so he certainly didn't "miss the mark" in his performance. I enjoy him. I also like the back story the actors gave him: he's some family member that Greene had to give a job to!

+1. At least Elvis is involved in the plot.

I vote for Hans.
  • Hans was really really bad: he did nothing. At least we can guess that Elvis might have killed Fields or something
    Most of those guys were at least threatening, except for Elvis. Vargas is creepy and part of that passions scene that says a lot about who SPECTRE hires and gets eliminated by Bond with one of the best one-liners. Chang is tough and a challenge for Bond and so is Zao as is Hans. He's bland, but a physical challenge for Bond, which I consider a key for a henchman.

What about Whisper from LALD? That guy drives a pimp mobile that shoots a dart, impersonates a waiter, gets tossed around when Kananga tests the shark gun and is easily dispatched into a packing container. He's kind of like Wint and Kidd in that he doesn't attract attention as an assassin and can get a job done as a distraction, but really doesn't do anything else.

Of the current crop I nominate Elvis, who was mentioned as just a lackey. Neither QoS or CR have any real defined henchman.
    Whisper I love. LALD boasts maybe the most interesting collection of henchpeople in the series (not forgetting Rosie or the woman from the voodoo shop).
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Elvis is so useless that Greene has to turn him to face Bond's direction, lift up his arm and point his gun for him. But I cracked out laughing at that, so Elvis's uselessness works in his favour, for me. So I'm undecided between Hans and Zao.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I think what makes Elvis work is that the film is very much aware of how simple he is and doesn't miss any opportunity to take the piss out of him. It's actually almost cruel, but I like it.