Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited March 20 Posts: 2,897
    bondywondy wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »
    The conspiracy theory is Eon use social media to gauge reaction. A so called Eon 'insider' leaks names to the tabloids, the Sun used to be the best selling UK newspaper, dunno if it is these days and the Sun or Mail etc lead with 'x actor is set to be the next Bond' and people react and Eon monitor the comments. I think this is possible. It serves three aims.

1) It's free publicity for the franchise. People get hyped about Bond and the next film.

2) Free publicity for the actor. It may help raise their profile and increase the opportunity of getting other roles.

3) Eon can look at the feedback and it gives them a broad idea if the 'rumoured' actor is liked/has significant potential by enough social media users.

I'm not saying Eon or Amazon will make a final casting decision based on social media reaction, ultimately the producers will judge on acting ability/screen presence/salary demands (any established actor will have a minimum salary threshold that must be met) but it's very likely they look at the online reaction and take it into consideration.

Obviously I can't say for sure, but all that seems a bit cumbersome and time consuming really. Not to mention quite pointless (why would it matter what fans think? They haven't seen a particular actor audition, and neither in this hypothetical scenario have the producers. A small chunk will even be quite vocal against certain actors no matter what - a sort of craignotbond type thing - which of course has absolutely no bearing on the actor's potential nor what a majority of viewers will think of the new Bond). They may as well just get a script sorted and then pick candidates/cast accordingly based what they want from that iteration of Bond. They've got more chance of casting a great Bond that way.

While I think EON might roughly know about social media reactions, it wouldn't surprise me if it's something they avoid. Same for what fans think. It seems to me that's a way of getting into problems.

Well maybe someone at Eon takes a look online to get an idea what people are posting. Maybe Broccoli and Wilson are told of some of the comments. That sort of thing. I don't think Broccoli and Wilson would spend hours searching through X or Facebook or here at Mi6, but maybe an employee at Eon gives them an update on recent social media comments.

Well, presumably they have publicists. It's not just the intern or an assistant trawling through the internet.

Honestly though, probably both those jobs don't involve such a task, at least not directly. I'm not really sure what Wilson or Broccoli would gain by being told some of the comments people are making online. It most likely wouldn't help them in any way whatsoever. Like I said they may well even avoid engaging with a lot of this stuff.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 20 Posts: 14,956
    talos7 wrote: »
    I don’t think that the would be in bed with a rag like The Sun but this will be the first Bond cast in a world where social media is so prominent. The world has changed since Craig was cast and I don’t think it’s a reach that they would observe reactions to various actors being rumored. Who knows, they may be taking note of our little contest ;)

Now, I don’t think it will dictate who they select . In the end they will choose the person most suited to tell the story that they want to tell.

We know they observe the reactions, just as they did last time when Craig was cast, sure. But I also agree that it won't dictate who they select: if anything the initial backlash and subsequent popularity of Craig would be more evidence to prove to them that they're right to not let it affect their, more informed, choice.
  • edited March 20 Posts: 303
    I don’t think that the would be in bed with a rag like The Sun but this will be the first Bond cast in a world where social media is so prominent. The world has changed since Craig was cast and I don’t think it’s a reach that they would observe reactions to various actors being rumored. Who knows, they may be taking note of our little contest ;)

Now, I don’t think it will dictate who they select . In the end they will choose the person most suited to tell the story that they want to tell.

Twitter started in 2006 after Craig was cast and Facebook was two years old in 2006. Front forward to 2024 and social media is part of many people's lives. It's impossible to know if Eon do leak names to the press. It sounds a little cloak and dagger but it's possible. It would be a way for the producers to get a snapshot of current opinion.

The Sunday Mirror in 2004 (as posted on Mi6):
    Dougray Scott, 38, will be the seventh actor to play Bond on the big screen and is set to make his first appearance in the 23rd Bond film , due for release next year.

One source said: "Bosses believe Dougray will be the perfect Bond."

The Scot won his role after discussions with Barbara Broccoli, producer of the long-running spy series. She wants to return 007 to his film roots.

A source revealed: "Producers have been eager to take Bond back to the broody and sexy figure that Sean was so brilliant at.

"Obviously it's not possible for Sean to return at his age, so they have been looking for a young actor with similar characteristics. Since then Barbara and Dougray have been in talks - and she believes he will be the perfect new 007 for the 21st Century."

Sources say that Scott is thrilled at the prospect of taking over the most successful role in cinema history.

Very similar style of reporting to the Sun. They said "will be" and "The Scot won his role." Their source was wrong or it was lazy journalism. It may be the same with the Sun in 2024.

From what I've seen on different platforms, there's been no comments about ethnicity. People are ok with a traditional looking actor.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Very similar style of reporting to the Sun. They said "will be" and "The Scot won his role." Their source was wrong or it was lazy journalism. It may be the same with the Sun in 2024.

Or they were flat out lying.

Like the ATJ hoax, this is pretty detailed.

I don’t think that was lazy journalism. That was creative writing 101.
    There was nothing innocent about the Scott article, as there is nothing innocent to the ATJ “announcement”.

These guys know what they’re doing, and they will keep doing this (whether Bond, or something else), because there are no repercussions for their bad behaviour….
    peter wrote: »
    but we've gone from

February 2024
    Barbara Broccol:
    "There is nothing happening yet"
    to
    March 2024
    Taylor-Johnson signing this week and filming beginning later this year at Pinewood:

That's nothing! In 2005 we went from:

October 12th, 2005:
    EON: "decision on James Bond #6 has not been made yet"

to

October 14th, 2005:
    EON: "Daniel Craig is the new James Bond!"

It was different in 2005 @Colonel_Venus :

They had a script.
    A title for a film.
    Active pre production.
    A director.
    Auditions.

And the media closed in on Craig’s mum, so, yeah….

2024:
    No script.
    No title.
    No slate.
    No director.
    No auditions.
    And no, the media hasn’t swarmed ATJ’s mum (as far as we know).

As I said, I’ve got some amazing Blockbuster Stores to sell. Please PM and we will discuss prices.

Do you have any Kmart or Circut City shares?
    From what I've seen on different platforms, there's been no comments about ethnicity. People are ok with a traditional looking actor.

Perhaps next week it'll be Idris Elba or Sope Dirisu's turn to be signed on for Bond. I'm sure the GB News segment about it will be level headed and thought provoking...
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Twitter started in 2006 after Craig was cast and Facebook was two years old in 2006. Front forward to 2024 and social media is part of many people's lives. It's impossible to know if Eon do leak names to the press. It sounds a little cloak and dagger but it's possible. It would be a way for the producers to get a snapshot of current opinion.

The Sunday Mirror in 2004 (as posted on Mi6):
    Dougray Scott, 38, will be the seventh actor to play Bond on the big screen and is set to make his first appearance in the 23rd Bond film , due for release next year.

One source said: "Bosses believe Dougray will be the perfect Bond."

The Scot won his role after discussions with Barbara Broccoli, producer of the long-running spy series. She wants to return 007 to his film roots.

A source revealed: "Producers have been eager to take Bond back to the broody and sexy figure that Sean was so brilliant at.

"Obviously it's not possible for Sean to return at his age, so they have been looking for a young actor with similar characteristics. Since then Barbara and Dougray have been in talks - and she believes he will be the perfect new 007 for the 21st Century."

Sources say that Scott is thrilled at the prospect of taking over the most successful role in cinema history.

Yes, social media existed but was in its infancy; it , and its influence, for good or bad, has grown exponentially.

Entertainment tonight talked about it …. Is John Tesh still their host?

Perhaps next week it'll be Idris Elba or Sope Dirisu's turn to be signed on for Bond. I'm sure the GB News segment about it will be level headed and thought provoking...

Similar format to the Elimination Game. Upvotes and down votes from the public.
    Risico007 wrote: »

Entertainment tonight talked about it …. Is John Tesh still their host?

This is a random point, but it's stuff like that segment which sort of makes me get why EON won't comment on this rumour/would want to control things like official announcements of the next Bond etc. Ideally you want a situation where the next Bond actor is front and centre, with EON announcing them and organising the official press conference, not one where random entertainment news outlets are playing numerous clips from the previous Bond actor as well as other hypothetical 'candidates'.
  • I've realised that ATJ reminds me of Joe Wicks.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited March 20 Posts: 5,979
    I remember he was mentioned in tabloids for Bond more from 2015-18.

Unsurprisingly, this was at the time that And Then There Was None was broadcast and back when this series was still in people's minds. While Aidan Turner was a great choice for the end of the 2010s, it's pretty obvious that he became a frontrunner thanks to this series. His relative lack of exposure since means that he is no longer a name that comes up as often.

Well, I suppose you can argue he was never a front runner in the sense that no auditions for Bond took place at that time. He was simply an actor who’d played a vaguely (and I’d emphasise vaguely) Bondian role.

Personally I’ve never really seen anything that jumps out at me for him as Bond. But he’s rather a good actor. Don’t think he’s keen on the role even if he was offered it now.

People have very short memories. The only reason Theo James is coming up now is because The Guardian dropped. I'd take Leo Woodall from The White Lotus over James.

I still think Eon is going to look for a serious actor. The "light touch" comedic Moore/Brosnan days are behind us. I'd go banco on that.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    From Variety today:

Sources close to Taylor-Johnson downplayed the report and said he has not been cast as Bond, but technically anything is possible in the future.
    Blast from the past: "The Sun (UK) claim today [April 6th, 2005] that Daniel Craig has been picked by producer Barbara Broccoli to become the sixth James Bond 007 in a three-film deal." https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=2291

And unlike ATJ now, Craig had not been rumoured to be a contender for well over a year at that point.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited March 20 Posts: 8,501
    Hold on, @Colonel_Venus , did you read today’s Variety:

Sources close to Taylor-Johnson downplayed the report and said he has not been cast as Bond, but technically anything is possible in the future.

That’s a blast from today.

And as for The Sun: glad they guessed right while Craig was still likely auditioning, but here’s a more recent record of The Sun, and James Bond:

June 12, 2022: The Sun claims Idris Elba “is now being considered” to play James Bond “after ranking highly in market research tests.” Oh, really?

Nov. 27, 2022: The tabloid claims Aaron Taylor-Johnson “is a surprise frontrunner to become the next James Bond after he took part in a top-secret screen test.” This story kicked off Aaron Taylor-Johnson fever for a time.

Dec. 10, 2022: The Sun now claims that Taylor-Johnson has filmed a gunbarrel sequence and Eon Productions “looks to reveal the franchise’s new star in March (2023).” Such an announcement never materializes.

Dec. 9, 2023: You can’t keep a good tabloid down. The Sun now says Eon is seeking two actors to play Bond at two stages of life, one younger and one older, with Paul Mescal as a possibility as a younger Bond.

The story has this line: “Rumours about 007’s potential replacement have been swirling for years.” Yeah. And The Sun has been stirring the pot for those rumors.

March 7, 2024: The Sun comes out with a new story that Cillian Murphy, 47, the star of Oppenheimer, is a new favorite to play Bond. If this comes to pass, he’d be the oldest actor for a Bond debut in an Eon film. Roger Moore was in his mid-40s when he filmed Live And Let Die.
    (From The Spy Command).

Not a good track record.

I know you want this to happen, and it may still, but yesterday was a hoax.

ATJ will win the role by only one route….

Blast from the past: "The Sun (UK) claim today [April 6th, 2005] that Daniel Craig has been picked by producer Barbara Broccoli to become the sixth James Bond 007 in a three-film deal." https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=2291

And unlike ATJ now, Craig had not been rumoured to be a contender for well over a year at that point.

It's worth saying that Craig himself said (and by the way this is what I've found through wiki from a brief search of CR, so it could well be wrong) that he was told by producers - seemingly on a very unofficial basis - he had the role in May 2005, not as early as April. No mention of contracts being signed at this point, and three picture deals are very common. He obviously was officially announced in October. If that's to be believed/interpreted, that Sun article wasn't in fact correct at the time.

It's like what was discussed on the previous page: Craig was genuinely touted as a potential Bond in the tabloids at this point, and it's worth saying EON were upfront about where they were at in terms of pre-production/when to expect CR. There was obviously a lot of nonsense being thrown around in the press at the time such as Clive Owen being in contention. This was likely not a prophetic piece of journalism or an insider scoop more than it was another headline based on guesswork/sensationalism/fibs which happened to be correct in the long run (even if the specifics were very much not). I wouldn't use it a way of saying these sorts of articles are worth believing. Their track record is so damn awful it's not worth defending.
    Didnt someone here actually con the sun into printing a fake story
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 20 Posts: 14,956

Not quite the same but years ago I made a fun fan poster for CR before it came out and put some credits on it to fill it out, and I put Goldfrapp on as doing the title song (I wasn't trying to hoax anyone, it was just a fan poster). The poster got seen somewhere else and that seemed to start news stories about Goldfrapp doing the song, which wasn't my intention at all. Eventually David Arnold went on the radio and said they weren't involved and said how it had all come from a fan poster.
    Although the story gets a bit mixed up because I think Goldfrapp actually did turn out to have been vaguely involved with one of the films.
  • edited March 21 Posts: 9,770
    Btw MR T didn’t audition for BA in the original A-team

Not saying that is happening here but yeah
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    I miss the days of Baz Bamigboye
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Silly question: Assuming that Aaron Taylor-Johnson *was* offered the role and had until the end of week to sign; what is he turned it down?

Such a rejection would – potentially - be very public and make EON look bad (depending on his reasoning). In addition, any actor that then signs up as Bond #7 down the road, will be labeled “their 2nd choice” by fans and the media. Again, the look for EON would not be the best.

Given how buttoned up Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson normally are, I can’t see them opening themselves for such public rejection and/or second guessing when they can avoid it. All the more reason, that I have my doubts about the SUN report.
    LucknFate wrote: »

Whatever happened to Baz?
  • edited March 21 Posts: 486
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    LucknFate wrote: »

Whatever happened to Baz?
    He is working at Deadline.com. His most recent articles: https://deadline.com/author/baz-bamigboye/

On a different note, have you guys seen Bond fan Mark O’Connell talking about his thoughts on ATJ on the BBC? I don't know if Mark is a regular here, but I love him! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqwjFstGt7I
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited March 21 Posts: 735
    mtm wrote: »

Not quite the same but years ago I made a fun fan poster for CR before it came out and put some credits on it to fill it out, and I put Goldfrapp on as doing the title song (I wasn't trying to hoax anyone, it was just a fan poster). The poster got seen somewhere else and that seemed to start news stories about Goldfrapp doing the song, which wasn't my intention at all. Eventually David Arnold went on the radio and said they weren't involved and said how it had all come from a fan poster.
    Although the story gets a bit mixed up because I think Goldfrapp actually did turn out to have been vaguely involved with one of the films.
    Not Bond, maybe better, but Goldfrapp did contribute their song Annabel to the season three conclusion of my favourite spy TV show of recent years, Le Bureau des Légendes ....

Note Kassovitz with Craig vibes as a loner [if more realistic] Bondian French agent, who's despondent about his lost love while in an ambivalent relationship to the French external intelligence service, all of which is superbly underscored by the use of the song at the very end.

• edited March 21 Posts: 2,598
    I agree with this: (but I'd like to see Bond in the 40's in the Navy and then in the 50's with the service)

"For me, James Bond needs to go back to his roots.

All this political correctness is rubbish and it is time the filmmakers realised this character is supposed to be escapist entertainment.

Bond has never reflected the real world, he has always been a fantasy.

They should set the next movie back in the 1960s, when he was at his best.

You can get away with anything in the 1960s, including bringing back names for female characters such as Pussy Galore, played by Honor Blackman.

No one could complain about that, because that’s the way it was. It is all innocent fun.

I was born in 1951, when no one was terribly offended by anything.

The Connery movies were the closest to Ian Fleming’s novels and managed to remain within the realms of possibility."

Graham Rye

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/26797949/fan-opinions-aaron-taylor-johnson-james-bond/amp/
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    SIS_HQ wrote: »

That's old news too, which has been circulated several times now.

• edited March 21 Posts: 2,598
    "Okay folks, calm down, our guts have been true all this time."

My guts are hungover.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 21 Posts: 5,869
    I'm not sure if anyone's already shared this but, in a strange bit of timing, a Rolling Stone interview with ATJ was released today to promote The Fall Guy (which I'm excited for). Anyway, they discussed a lot from his upcoming projects to his marriage, and Bond was even mentioned very briefly:

"Speaking of violent masculinity, those Bond rumours are impossible not to ask about, but I’m greeted with a predictable poker face. “I can only really talk about the things I’m going to show and tell,” he says. “So, The Fall Guy, Nosferatu, Kraven the Hunter. I’m here to promote those.” When I say it must be flattering to be associated with 007, he stares at me in silence."

Now based on the timing of this, I'm guessing she was referring to the older rumours, but either way, nothing new. Just thought people might want to hear this or even read the full article.