Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    talos7 wrote: »

Either way, can I speak to EON about maybe playing Tatiana in the screentests?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Go for it! 😂
  • edited March 19 Posts: 6,677
    As you know, @talos7, my friend, I too believe the voice to be one of the main, unescapable aspects of Bond. Falsettos didn’t work well for SP and they surely wouldn’t work for our lead ;)
  • edited March 20 Posts: 303
    talos7 wrote: »
    I may be in the minority of individuals for whom the voice of the actor portraying Bond is incredibly vital. To this point all of the actors to portray Bond have had strong, commanding voices.

Simply for comparison…

I guess Joe Pasquale never was in contention... can't imagine why...

🤭

• PaoChanelPaoChanel USA
    CNN just reported on TV in USA that he was offered the role. If they had not verified it, I doubt they would have reported it, though I missed the first part of the report, so am not sure if they said this report was unconfirmed. Did anyone see it?
    Well, we do know what M said about news on CNN ;)
  • edited March 20 Posts: 3,279
    BBC were reporting this on their main channel yesterday as though he was already cast.

Just playing devils advocate here - is there the slightest possibility that auditions HAVE taken place these past few months, there IS a script in place, there is even a director in place, and now casting ATJ is the final piece in the jigsaw and it got leaked yesterday.

In other words, EON have made a damn good job of keeping silent and covering up everything that has been happening behind the scenes this past year. After all, they managed to keep Bond's death a secret right until the film was released.

Is this a remote possibility?
  • edited March 20 Posts: 705
    Liar is better than lazy.
    I want to believe they are working.
    GMB on ITV this morning were interviewing Jonathan Pryce and they spent much of the time discussing ATJ as the new Bond.

This story isn't going away by the looks of it.
  • JustJamesJustJames London
    Media shakedown. If it’s not ATJ maybe they can get EON to say who it really is, and if it is him, then it is a scoop. Either way they get column inches for a couple of days — including printing the denial (that wasn’t a denial, when you look at what was said)
    It’s basically the media making the news.

The sooner they announce Cavill the better… ;)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 20 Posts: 8,090
    JustJames wrote: »
    Media shakedown. If it’s not ATJ maybe they can get EON to say who it really is, and if it is him, then it is a scoop. Either way they get column inches for a couple of days — including printing the denial (that wasn’t a denial, when you look at what was said)
    It’s basically the media making the news.

The sooner they announce Cavill the better… ;)

Appropriate that they reached out to Johnathon pryce for comment then. B-)
  • SmilionSmilion Slovenia
    edited March 20 Posts: 7
    BBC were reporting this on their main channel yesterday as though he was already cast.

Just playing devils advocate here - is there the slightest possibility that auditions HAVE taken place these past few months, there IS a script in place, there is even a director in place, and now casting ATJ is the final piece in the jigsaw and it got leaked yesterday.

In other words, EON have made a damn good job of keeping silent and covering up everything that has been happening behind the scenes this past year. After all, they managed to keep Bond's death a secret right until the film was released.

Could be possible, but extremely unlikely ... I doubt EON could be that secretive and nothing would leak in the meantime. However as one user pointed out, there were times when EON denied something categorically, only for the same thing to be later found as true (Obenhosuer Bond connection, Eve Moneypenny, Craig denying any development or involvement in next Bond on a talk show, only for him being confirmed a few hours later).

In 2022 Barbara was interviewed saying they are still debating and finding out the direction in which to go and that script is still at least a couple years away. Furthermore, there were rumours that P&W where approached to help with brainstorming and finding a new direction.

It could be possible that by the end of 2022 they have cracked the direction and script was being written. We know they have met with ATJ at the end of 2022, however, it could be possible that they have also met with other potential candidates at that time. As I remember one actor was asked in beginning of 2023 in an interview about Bond and he answered, that he heard "they got the person and it's not him". That being the case, they could work further on the script in the first half of 2023 and also interview possible directors. Strike that put a process on hold for the second part of 2023.

It is possible then that they approached Nolan with their idea and direction after the strike ended, but he pitched them a different version, with which EON didn't comply. EON then approached Villeneuve, who is also a fan and was already in discussion for NTTD.

Let's say the script is in the finishing phases, Denis talks about a secretive project that must happen quickly and ATJ is offered the role at the same time. If that were the case, EON was bluffing all the time in regard to how far they were in the process. However, even if ATJ is signed by the end of the week, we won't necessarily get any confirmation now, and a conference/announcement might happen in late summer or autumn for a late 2024 and early 2025 shoot and November 2025 release. Unlikely but possible.

I also don't believe EON works in a traditional way, so they would get a script in, hire a director and only then hold auditions. Being strong producers, I think they shall firstly determine the direction of the series and the type of actors they are looking for. I also think that the actor they choose shall also influence the character of Bond and the script, so a rewrite shall probably happen after they choose an actor for a role. I also don't think it is necessary for them to have a director before casting, especially for Bond, who shall be there longer than a director is (for one or two movies). They might cast Bond before, hire a director and then do additional casting for other roles (villains, bond girls etc.).

Yes, the pieces are all there. EON's unexplained silence from 2021 - 2023, Villeneuve suddenly having a secret project which has to happen quickly (why would it be a secret if it was an original concept of his and not some kind of franchise) ATJ spotted at several bond related functions recently, including Goldeneye. I don't know whether the Sun's scoop will end up being accurate or not, but it's another sign that movement on the next Bond film is indeed underway, and its about to get more exciting as things progress from here. The drought is finally ending. \:D/
    There was an interview posted a few months ago. Nolan was asked about ATJ and said he'd make a great Bond, or something like that.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    edited March 20 Posts: 155
    Yes, the pieces are all there. EON's unexplained silence from 2021 - 2023, Villeneuve suddenly having a secret project which has to happen quickly (why would it be a secret if it was an original concept of his and not some kind of franchise) ATJ spotted at several bond related functions recently, including Goldeneye. I don't know whether the Sun's scoop will end up being accurate or not, but it's another sign that movement on the next Bond film is indeed underway, and its about to get more exciting as things progress from here. The drought is finally ending. \:D/

The drought can take forever it means not casting ATJ as Bond. Careful what you wish for, as we're going to be ancient when ATJ would finish his tenure. Better do it right, i.e. not to cast soprano quire boy.

The drought can take forever it means not casting ATJ as Bond. Careful what you wish for, as we're going to be ancient when ATJ would finish his tenure. Better do it right, i.e. not to cast soprano quire boy.

Better than Tom "I heart T.S" (taylor swift) Hiddleson, or the kid from about a boy.

If he's a bad Bond he won't last long.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

If he's a bad Bond he won't last long.

I'll see to that. >:)
    The Sun are continuing the momentum, confident in their news, with another follow-up story today on ATJ - https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/26797949/fan-opinions-aaron-taylor-johnson-james-bond/

This story isn't going away...

If he is picked, you can start up the next craignotbond website and call it atjnotbond. ;)
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon

If he is picked, you can start up the next craignotbond website and call it atjnotbond. ;)

The Sun is doubling down on a pack of air. It won't be him. I may just start that website, if proven otherwise ;)
    Even if the Sun article is 100% made up and just for "clicks", that still doesn't mean he won't eventually be who EON choose.
    My apologies. I messed up the quotes in the reply. Please ignore this post and the next. Thanks.

Even if the Sun article is 100% made up and just for "clicks", that still doesn't mean he won't eventually be who EON choose.

No smoke without fire, etc. He is being lined up in the public consciousness now the same way Brozza was back in the 90's.
    My apologies for messing up my reply. Correct reply is next message.

• edited March 20 Posts: 3,279
    bondywondy wrote: »

That would mean Barbara Broccoli lied when she said "nothing is happening yet."

And that wouldn't be the first time she has told fibs.... ;)
    Sorry. I made mess of my post. Here is the proper reply.

Quote from Jet Set Willy;

That would mean Barbara Broccoli lied when she said "nothing is happening yet."

February Update
    15th February 2024
    Barbara Broccoli gives a status update on Bond 26
    By MI6 Staff
    Christopher Nolan received the British Film Institute Fellowship Award in London on Wednesday night at a star-studded event.

Barbara Broccoli was in attendance. Asked by Baz Bamigboye for an update on the 26th James Bond film and casting the next 007, Broccoli was politely non-committal. "No”, she said, “there’s nothing I can tell you about the next Bond film. There’s nothing. Nothing is happening yet."

Can she be lying? Sure but why lie? Why pretend nothing is happening if Bond 26 is in production, if the main casting is finalized, if the screenplay is locked, if the director has been hired?

People lie all the time so yeah, Bond 26 may be released next year but I don't see why Broccoli would need to lie. It's just a Bond film. If the film is on track to be released next year she could/should say "we're moving ahead with Bond 26 and there will be more news later this year."

That's all she has to say. No need for deception.

If there is one legitimate fair criticism of Barbara Broccoli's tenure as Bond producer it's her lack of timekeeping. It's very poor. Her father was rigid about the time schedule. One Bond film every two years (The Spy Who Loved Me was a three year production). Cubby Broccoli was a complete professional with regard to making Bond films. Can you imagine Cubby Broccoli saying

"No”, he said, “there’s nothing I can tell you about the next Bond film. There’s nothing. Nothing is happening yet.

I can't. I'm 99 percent sure he'd say "the next Bond is scheduled for release in two years time."

Barbara Broccoli plays a cynical game with Bond. She drags out production of the more recent films and she knows the press and online media will milk the delay. Is Craig coming back? Yes he is! No he isn't! The new Bond film is delayed? Yes it is! No it isn't! Idris Elba has been asked to play Bond? Yes he is! No he hasn't! Yadda yadda yadda. And Eon allow this to drag on because Broccoli does not have the same timekeeping work ethic as her father.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

No smoke without fire, etc. He is being lined up in the public consciousness now the same way Brozza was back in the 90's.

Or in the way Idris Elba and Clive Owen were. In the UK press there's plenty of smoke without fire.
    mtm wrote: »

Or in the way Idris Elba and Clive Owen were. In the UK press there's plenty of smoke without fire.

True.
    People love comparing any actor they aren't keen on to Clive Owen, it's always a blast. :))