Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »
    I'm sincerely in the camp that this a big nothing burger, and, as it stands, @DewiWynBond has as much chance at signing his Bond contract by Friday, as ATJ has.

And I'm rooting for Dewi...

Thanks man. If all else fails I could star in your epic kung fu-sword-witchcraft movie 🤔

Have your people call my people.
    EoN are my people. I'm too loyal.
  • edited March 19 Posts: 486
    @peter But if this is true that the rumour about his 2022 screen test is probably true, too. And if this is true, they likely have a script and a director, and it’s just that we don’t know about it yet.

Maybe they don’t want to announce the director prematurely after the Danny Boyle situation.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I'm going to say this: none of this is true, @Colonel_Venus ... If you don't care to believe me , that's fine.

But this is absolutely false. And one week from now, one month from now and one year from now, we will laugh at this ballsy piece of nothing....

That's not to say ATJ won't be Bond (I don't think he will, but that's based on nothing more than my gut), but no script has been finished (even the rag that started this says the script is now being developed).

So, there was not a script in 2022 either.

There was not a director overseeing these auditions.

There was no funding available for these auditions in 2022.

There were no auditions.

Bond won't be a coronation.

There is a process.

There will be a workable script.

There will be a director.

There will be a list of actors that need to be tested and compared to (auditions are gruelling for both actors and those making the decisions).

Once the auditions are done, one will be chosen.

But I'm 99.9% certain that that person HAS not been chosen and offered the role as of this writing. This "breaking news" will barely register with anyone by Friday morning and forgotten by Monday...
    But nobody is saying there will be a coronation! Nobody claimed that ATJ was selected before a director.
    But nobody is saying there will be a coronation! Nobody claimed that ATJ was selected before a director.

Find me a production of this scale that secretly hires writers and a director then casts a lead while not having funding in place. Find me just one, and I'll delete my account.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Colonel_Venus ... The rag says the script is being written right now.

How could ATJ have secretly auditioned a year ago with no script? Certainly not two years ago with no script!!

And have EON been paying a director on standby for the last year or two? If they were doing that, that's a reckless waste of money, and, frankly, stupid (if it's a working director, he, or she, would have had to pass on numerous projects, which means EoN would've had to pay through the nose to keep this person on the pay roll!!!!)

But listen, you don't have to believe me, and I'm not trying to change your mind. But I will continue to say, none of this has happened.
  • I must admit to having a flurry of different thoughts on the ATJ matter. Personally I highly doubt this is anything beyond the usual tabloid nonsense but assuming this is true; I can’t say I’m enthusiastic about the choice if I’m being honest. But I’m also willing to give EON the benefit of the doubt if this does end up happening (either this Friday or some point down the line.)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Keep your eye on the Thames on Friday lads ;)
  • Do all potential Bonds not do the scene from Russia with love? Sam Neill, Brolin etc.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Do all potential Bonds not do the scene from Russia with love? Sam Neill, Brolin etc.

They do several scenes from older films. I heard they do FRWL, OHMSS, some choreographed fight sequences, and we know for CR, they did scenes out of that script.
  • edited March 19 Posts: 2,901
    Yeah, the FRWL is a big one they do. I think they do fight scenes as well (the one James Brolin did in OP is an original one but seems not unlike the hotel fight from OHMSS). Then maybe one from the film they're doing. Would be interesting to know just how many tests they do.

Edit: yep, pretty much what Peter said.
  • Yes, I suppose they need to show a range of scenes/skills
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 19 Posts: 5,869
    What scenes would people add to the roster? I think the official meeting between Bond and Severine would be good for a screentest.
  • For England, James
    I'd add the scene where Bond first meets Silva in SF. While obviously it's Silva who gets the big 'rat' speech, I think it's a scene which requires the actor playing Bond to convey a lot of stuff very subtly/show a sense of Bond's vulnerability while he has his guard up. I'd say those are important qualities in a Bond.

Similar types of scenes/to test that side of a Bond actor could be Bond and Travelyn meeting again in GE. Or when Bond confronts Orlov on the train in OP.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I don’t believe in Eon’s denial of there being script. In all of their existence there has ALWAYS been a script in development, even during long hiatuses. Eon is incredibly coy about behind the scenes stuff.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    What scenes would people add to the roster? I think the official meeting between Bond and Severine would be good for a screentest.

I would add the laser scene from GF, with Bond strapped down. That would be an ideal test for an actor.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Denbigh wrote: »

I would add the laser scene from GF, with Bond strapped down. That would be an ideal test for an actor.

I think that’s more ideal for casting the Bond villlain, which I would love to see screen tests of!
    Oddly enough the only Bond villain screen tests I can remember watching are of that scene from GF! Or at least an early version of it.

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    If it's not ATJ, all this has probably scuppered his chances.
    Venutius wrote: »

One does hope so ;)
    I don't think all this will make a huge difference to his chances, short of his agent or something planting this story. It may have the effect of raising his profile, landing him another job, and thus not being able to commit to Bond/an audition maybe. Maybe.

But otherwise I don't think it'll matter. If EON want him or see potential they'll invite him to audition. Still though, it's very likely there are better candidates. We'll see.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Univex wrote: »
    Venutius wrote: »

One does hope so ;)
    :))
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 19 Posts: 5,869
    Given he's got The Fall Guy and Kraven this year, he certainly won't fall off the radar. If Suter can get in the room like many would like, then ATJ certainly can.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    007HallY wrote: »
    Oddly enough the only Bond villain screen tests I can remember watching are of that scene from GF! Or at least an early version of it.

I've always rather liked Bikel's performance;
  • If ATJ is cast it will be two Bond actors in a row who made their name in a Matthew Vaughan directed film( Layer Cake and Kick Ads)..
    GMB on ITV this morning were interviewing Jonathan Pryce and they spent much of the time discussing ATJ as the new Bond.

This story has legs....
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 20 Posts: 8,087
    I've honestly never really thought about ATJ for Bond much before this, but he does cover alot of bases. Young, fit, handsome, good actor, a lot of charisma and screen presence. I think Criags casting might have trained some of us to be on the look out for some out of left field option that EON is gunning for, but sometimes just having enough of the right qualities is well, enough.

Also people saying he can't be Bond because he's already Kraven the Hunter, I'm 99% sure that movie will crash and burn, just like morbius and madame Webb, and will be forgotten about in 6 months after its release. Sony hasn't had any success outside of the venom movies, and that shouldn't reflect badly on ATJ himself.
    I've honestly never really thought about ATJ for Bond much before this, but he does cover alot of bases. Young, fit, handsome, good actor, a lot of charisma and screen presence. I think Criags casting might have trained some of us to be on the look out for some out of left field option that EON is gunning for, but sometimes just having enough of the right qualities is well, enough.

Also people saying he can't be Bond because he's already Kraven the Hunter, I'm 99% sure that movie will crash and burn, just like morbius and madame Webb, and will be forgotten about in 6 months after its release. Sony hasn't had any success outside of the venom movies, and that shouldn't reflect badly on ATJ himself.

ATJ has the right attributes to match the literary description, he has a tough physique, he has a smugness about him that Connery, Laz, Moore and Brozza had, and he is a decent actor.

He doesn't have the height of his predecessors (but that didn't stop Craig being a decent 007 either) and he needs to work on his voice.

Other than that, he is quite a safe bet for EON, the same way Brozza was. He ticks most of the boxes.