Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Once again , please no...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I’ll take this with a large grain of salt.
    It’s not April 1 yet.
    There's a small part of me that would like for this to be true.............just to get on with it.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    There's a small part of me that would like for this to be true.............just to get on with it.

This is something that should not be rushed...
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    True or not true, deserved or not, I don't think there's any reason to believe this would be a rushed decision.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    True or not true, deserved or not, I don't think there's any reason to believe this would be a rushed decision.

So they have a script and director?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 19 Posts: 5,869
    talos7 wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »

So they have a script and director?
    Why not? I wouldn't know either way.
    meshypushy wrote: »

I don’t want to relate to those craignotbond folk.
    They had an aggressive agenda against an actor unfairly.
    As a Bond fan it was a low point for me.

If this doesn't happen the source for this 'news' is gonna look very silly.

I suppose Aaron Taylor-Johnson could be possible. Maybe Eon haven't found any other credible candidates. It's possible Amazon have put pressure on Eon to get the casting done.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    bondywondy wrote: »
    If this doesn't happen the source for this 'news' is gonna look very silly.
    Wouldn't be the first time ;)
  • edited March 19 Posts: 486
    Does anyone know when exactly in 2005 did DC sign on to play Bond? I can't find that info online. I would like to know how many days/weeks before he was officially announced did he sign the contract.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited March 19 Posts: 565
    Does anyone know when exactly in 2005 did DC sign on to play Bond? I can't find that info online. I would like to know how many days/weeks before he was officially announced did he sign the contract.

I believe Martin Campbell was signed as director in January or February 2005, and we know he was involved in the casting process. So I'm assuming at some point during the spring or summer of 2005.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 19 Posts: 5,869
    Well I just found this regarding an article from 6th Apr 2005 in The Sun that suggested Craig was offered a 3 film contract to play James Bond #6. Craig wasn't announced till October.

https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=2291#:~:text=6 claims tabloid-,Daniel Craig offered 3 film contract,James Bond #6 claims tabloid&text=The Sun
  • edited March 19 Posts: 303
    Maybe the date of signing of the contract was not disclosed to the media. Can't find any information online.

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited March 19 Posts: 2,932
    I wouldn't be averse to ATJ, tbh. Not ideal casting and it probably wouldn't have worked pre-Dan, but I could actually envisage it working in a post-Craig world. I get the 'smug' objections and I share the qualms about the voice, but I do think he's a good actor and I've seen him play action, menace and humour, so no worries there. Having said that, if ATJ did get the job I think I'd be on the 'wait and see' team rather than the 'absolutely cannot wait' side, But then, as daft as it sounds now, I felt like that when Dan was announced way back when, too - and that didn't turn out too badly, right?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Benny wrote: »
    meshypushy wrote: »

I don’t want to relate to those craignotbond folk.
    They had an aggressive agenda against an actor unfairly.
    As a Bond fan it was a low point for me.

In a funny way, DCINB actually made me WANT to see Craig succeed even more. He wasn’t my first choice back in the day, but I trusted Eon’s judgement and wanted to give him a fair shot from the get go. If they pick ATJ, I will give him that same chance.

One of the most elating feelings I had as a Bond fan was when CR was coming out and the word of mouth was very strong. Of course, I think that actually made (the few) folks at DCINB even more militant against Craig. I remember their pet theories like believing Craig was only being praised because people felt sorry for him or some nonsense. Or the best one: “CR is for people who don’t like Bond movies”.

It’s been so many years since I visited their forums. I wonder how bjmdds’ sanity has been holding up?
    Hahaha ‘bjmdds’ what a character. I’m not sure how his blood pressure is. He got boiled up over Daniel Craig.
    I’m not sure he or the forum over there will cope if the next Bond isn’t one they approve of.

As too the ATJ news, it appears more and more news sites have picked the story up.
    Even The West Australian in Perth are reporting it…
    https://thewest.com.au/entertainment/actor-set-to-replace-daniel-craig-in-iconic-bond-role-revealed--c-14005707
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 19 Posts: 8,090
    I'm honestly just hoping the rumour is true just so something can finally happen with bond 26. It's been 2.5 years since Bond 25 released, 4.5 years since wrapped filming. If ATJ is the next Bond, then surely they have their director and some outline of a script.

I think ATJ is a slightly boring choice, but of the boring choices he's the least boring. Leagues better than Tom Hiddleston, Henry Cavill, Henry Golding etc.

Now let's get a move on and we might actually still make that November 2026 release date. ;)
  • edited March 19 Posts: 486
    Now let's get a move on and we might actually still make that November 2026 release date. ;)

If this ATJ rumour is true, a summer 2026 release would be the WORST case scenario and a late 2025 release suddenly becomes pretty likely.

If this ATJ rumour is true, a summer 2026 release would be the WORST case scenario and a late 2025 release suddenly becomes pretty likely.

November 2025 would be PERFECT. 30th anniversary of Goldeneye anyone? :D
    What’s the hurry in getting a new Bond?
    Especially if fans are not sure he’s the best case scenario.
    edited March 19 Posts: 8,090

I don't think 4 years can ever be described as a "hurry".
    I wouldn’t get to excited about the ATJ news.
    As far as we know, no script or director have been chosen.
    Casting Bond will come after that.
    This strange fascination regarding the time Bond films are released or their budget is baffling.
    Truly

I don't think 4 years can ever be described as a "hurry".

Were you this impatient over CR coming out four years after DAD?
    Or the 6 year gap from LTK till GE

“Cubby has clearly lost all control of this franchise!”

Actually, that probably wasn’t too far from what fans were saying in the early 90s, given how the popularity of Bond declined in the 80s that there was uncertainty over Bond’s future. Fans today tend to look back at Cubby’s reign with rose tinted glasses, but back then I’m sure there were plenty who were critical of Cubby as they are today of Barbara.
  • edited March 19 Posts: 6,677

Actually, that probably wasn’t too far from what fans were saying in the early 90s, given how the popularity of Bond declined in the 80s that there was uncertainty over Bond’s future. Fans today tend to look back at Cubby’s reign with rose tinted glasses, but back then I’m sure there were plenty who were critical of Cubby as they are today of Barbara.

Oh yes, there were many voices against the state of Bond back then. I remember that most people used to say “I only like the Connery ones, Bond was never better since” and that was the status quo back then. Pierce really was a game changer, even if there are some here who aren’t his fans it’s undeniable how he changed people’s perception of Bond, as it became a phenomenon again. CR did the same in a very different sense. We are now in a world where Bond is well regarded, let’s hope the next one doesn’t stain that hard gained shiny medal.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
  • edited March 19 Posts: 707

And they were right.