Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• edited January 11 Posts: 7,500
    I dunno how or why Cameron factored in this thread. Might as well name drop Ridley Scott while you’re at it.

Though I think Tony Scott would have made a real cracking Bond film with the right script.

Ridley Scott sounds like a much better idea to be honest. Just provide him with a good script.
  • JustJamesJustJames London
    Eh. Ok. I’ll do it. Write the film, direct the film. Won’t sing the theme tune though. I’m cheap as well, so think of how much money will make it up on screen.
  • You know what would be the absolute worst? A non-Nolan Bond 26 being released in like 2028 or later. Why? Because in that scenario they easily could have done a one-off Nolan Bond film BEFORE their non-Nolan reboot.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    You know what would be the absolute worst? A non-Nolan Bond 26 being released in like 2028 or later. Why? Because in that scenario they easily could have done a one-off Nolan Bond film BEFORE their non-Nolan reboot.

I can think of worse: Nolan actually makes the film but it’s worse than TENET.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    I dunno how or why Cameron factored in this thread. Might as well name drop Ridley Scott while you’re at it.

Though I think Tony Scott would have made a real cracking Bond film with the right script.

Yeah, I like Tony Scott. He might have started all those Michael Bay visuals.....difference is, he doesn't make it too juvenile like Bay....especially the jokes. But still he doesn't care that much about story, only style like Bay.
    Well, if Tony Scott directs Bond 26 it will fit with the resurrection theme, that's for sure ;))
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

Yeah, I like Tony Scott. He might have started all those Michael Bay visuals.....difference is, he doesn't make it too juvenile like Bay....especially the jokes. But still he doesn't care that much about story, only style like Bay.

And that’s fine. Some Bond movies really are more about style than story, such as the Lewis Gilbert flicks. Tony Scott would have delivered in that wheelhouse.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria

And that’s fine. Some Bond movies really are more about style than story, such as the Lewis Gilbert flicks. Tony Scott would have delivered in that wheelhouse.

True. Gilbert was the one Cubby & Harry went for, when they wanted the bombastic over story. So Tony Scott would have been a Gilbert to Bond.
  • edited January 12 Posts: 721
    peter wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    @peter First you insinuated that Nolan's sister-in-law Lisa Joy is a better screenwriter than Nolan is (which is, with all due respect, completely preposterous) and now you are saying that Cameron's brother is the unsung hero to Cameron's over all career. Come on!

Wow, @Colonel_Venus ... Number one, have you read a script from Lisa Joy? If you have and can't see she is an expert and knows structure inside and out. Her scripts are tight. Not a word wasted. She's a traditional three act structure kwriter, who executes plot twists with perfect timing; she knows character and has done her homework on each, and the women characters are multi dimensional...Nolan writes idea in script form. Doesn't make him a good screenwriter.

He's not.

His brother is also a far superior writer than Christopher (I said this before, but you didn't mention him).

And when I mean Cameron's brother, John, and Cameron's over all career, I wasn't just talking about films. I was talking about the groundbreaking technology he uses in his films, plus anything to do with his many interests in deep sea exploration. His brother John is the guy at the front lines testing and experimenting with the tools that Cameron uses-- the guy's a genius, and he's the unsung hero of Cameron's career (especially the last thirty'ish years of it. Do some research on him, fascinating guy).

So relax. You don't have to take anything I say personally. You don't have to take it seriously.

And no, Cameron couldn't write a good script either. He's known for lifting ideas, and when you actually read one of his scripts, you'll be lost. Try and read his spiderman script for example. There's a reason why it was rejected.

Saying that, I loved his early work, up to , and including The Abyss. He, at least, knows how to entertain.

Nolan is trying to be the second coming of Kubrick.

And speaking of Kubrick, I love him. Early Coppola, love. Scorsese, love. Ben Affleck is a better writer/director than actor, and think most of his films are really interesting, David Fincher is probably my favourite director working today. Paul Thomas Anderson, love. Wes Anderson, Tarantino, Villeneuve, del Toro, Bong Joon-ho, early Spike Lee... Shall I go on?

Jeez, brother, relax.

EDIT: and lastly @Colonel_Venus , I do know stunt guys that worked on a couple of his films. They weren't happy. Period.

EDIT TWO: Excuse typos- fighting a cold and have a short wick, and a fuzzy brain.

+1.

Lisa Joy is a much better screenwriter than Christopher Nolan. People often confuse commercial success with quality.

As far as James Cameron: while he is a visionary with technical effects, he is also a terrible screenwriter. His stories are basic and his dialogue sophomoric. The Abyss is probably his best, carried by some great actors.

Titanic won 11 Oscars but wasn't even nominated for screenplay.

L.A. Confidential won that one. Now there's a screenplay.

Cameron is an OK writer. He is better director than writer but I think his scripts are serviceable.

You’re so right Deke!! How many of Cameron’s serviceable scripts have you read?

I watch the movies and they work, that's for sure! That's why they are serviceable.

;)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @peter First you insinuated that Nolan's sister-in-law Lisa Joy is a better screenwriter than Nolan is (which is, with all due respect, completely preposterous) and now you are saying that Cameron's brother is the unsung hero to Cameron's over all career. Come on!

Wow, @Colonel_Venus ... Number one, have you read a script from Lisa Joy? If you have and can't see she is an expert and knows structure inside and out. Her scripts are tight. Not a word wasted. She's a traditional three act structure kwriter, who executes plot twists with perfect timing; she knows character and has done her homework on each, and the women characters are multi dimensional...Nolan writes idea in script form. Doesn't make him a good screenwriter.

He's not.

His brother is also a far superior writer than Christopher (I said this before, but you didn't mention him).

And when I mean Cameron's brother, John, and Cameron's over all career, I wasn't just talking about films. I was talking about the groundbreaking technology he uses in his films, plus anything to do with his many interests in deep sea exploration. His brother John is the guy at the front lines testing and experimenting with the tools that Cameron uses-- the guy's a genius, and he's the unsung hero of Cameron's career (especially the last thirty'ish years of it. Do some research on him, fascinating guy).

So relax. You don't have to take anything I say personally. You don't have to take it seriously.

And no, Cameron couldn't write a good script either. He's known for lifting ideas, and when you actually read one of his scripts, you'll be lost. Try and read his spiderman script for example. There's a reason why it was rejected.

Saying that, I loved his early work, up to , and including The Abyss. He, at least, knows how to entertain.

And speaking of Kubrick, I love him. Early Coppola, love. Scorsese, love. Ben Affleck is a better writer/director than actor, and think most of his films are really interesting, David Fincher is probably my favourite director working today. Paul Thomas Anderson, love. Wes Anderson, Tarantino, Villeneuve, del Toro, Bong Joon-ho, early Spike Lee... Shall I go on?

Jeez, brother, relax.

EDIT: and lastly @Colonel_Venus , I do know stunt guys that worked on a couple of his films. They weren't happy. Period.

EDIT TWO: Excuse typos- fighting a cold and have a short wick, and a fuzzy brain.

+1.

Lisa Joy is a much better screenwriter than Christopher Nolan. People often confuse commercial success with quality.

As far as James Cameron: while he is a visionary with technical effects, he is also a terrible screenwriter. His stories are basic and his dialogue sophomoric. The Abyss is probably his best, carried by some great actors.

Cameron is an OK writer. He is better director than writer but I think his scripts are serviceable.

I watch the movies and they work, that's for sure! That's why they are serviceable.

;)

Reading a script and seeing the finished product as a film are two separate beasts.

He's not.

Jeez, brother, relax.

+1.

;)

Reading a script and seeing the finished product as a film are two separate beasts.

who cares? scripts are not made to be read.
  • peterpeter Toronto

He's not.

Jeez, brother, relax.

+1.

;)

EDIT: the smartest thing my first agent ever said to me was: just because you watch films doesn’t mean you know anything about screenwriting.

And the second smartest thing he said was: read scripts, learn about film-story and screenplay writing.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 12 Posts: 14,983
    You're speaking to a guy who writes movie scripts for a living D, there's not much point arguing. Peter really knows what he's talking about.
    mtm wrote: »
    You're speaking to a guy who writes movie scripts for a living D, there's not much point arguing. Peter really knows what he's talking about.

Cameron too.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Pointless.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited January 12 Posts: 8,526
    Thanks @mtm … I guess it’s falling on deaf ears, but I used to enjoy these discussions because the process of getting a film made is pretty incredible (and that’s why most die somewhere in development).

From an idea, to a story, to creating characters and building their entire lives (through the work audiences don’t see (but I get a sense they “feel” the work), like character bios); outlines after outlines; Figuring out “plants” or “Chekhov’s Gun” in the first act, to be paid off in the third act; to explore secrets and plot twists, and what is the Inciting Incident; the timing of Plot Point One, Mid Point Twists and Plot Point Two, which leads to Climax, Resolution and wrapping up whatever story you’re telling.

In a script meeting you will be peppered with questions going down to the very last detail— and the writer better have done their homework and is ready to answer any and all questions…

It has to be a journey, and what @DEKE_RIVERS doesn't understand is that scripts ARE meant to be read because every film he’s ever watched came from this process, this journey. Hundreds of people on any given project are combing through the written words on the page, to try and bring it all to reality.

But, Deke does really know all, 😂.

There are some other great writers on this site too, who may also have issues with what the great Deke is saying… But it’s clear that he is the ruler of his own universe, and what he says, is law— whether based in reality or not.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I must say I find the construction of stories fascinating, I love seeing a script broken down into why it works or why it doesn't work. It's one of the things I really enjoy on here.
    Have you ever watched Andrew Ellard's YouTube essay on QoS, Peter? He's a script editor in the UK and he used to give really fascinating notes on various films and TV shows: he's a real fan of QoS, and although I don't share that, it is very interesting to watch him pull out the various themes and bits of structure of the QoS script which really do work well.
    Thanks @mtm … I guess it’s falling on deaf ears, but I used to enjoy these discussions because the process of getting a film made is pretty incredible (and that’s why most die somewhere in development).

From an idea, to a story, to creating characters and building their entire lives (through the work audiences don’t see (but I get a sense they “feel” the work), like character bios); outlines after outlines; Figuring out “plants” or “Chekhov’s Gun” in the first act, to be paid off in the third act; to explore secrets and plot twists, and what is the Inciting Incident; the timing of Plot Point One, Mid Point Twists and Plot Point Two, which leads to Climax, Resolution and wrapping up whatever story you’re telling.

In a script meeting you will be peppered with questions going down to the very last detail— and the writer better have done their homework and is ready to answer any and all questions…

It has to be a journey, and what @DEKE_RIVERS doesn't understand is that scripts ARE meant to be read because every film he’s ever watched came from this process, this journey. Hundreds of people on any given project are combing through the written words on the page, to try and bring it all to reality.

But, Deke does really know all, 😂.

There are some other great writers on this site too, who may also have issues with what the great Deke is saying… But it’s clear that he is the ruler of his own universe, and what he says, is law— whether based in reality or not.

Ok I get it. James Cameron is not good enough for James Bond.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited January 12 Posts: 8,526
    @mtm, a fun exercise as well, is to take a script, and follow the finished film, page by page and see how the production crew deviated from the script, or made changes due to locations they ended up getting, or further exploring themes/character that was in the script, but the production became inspired to run with a certain idea, or concept........

I haven't seen Andrew Ellard's essay on QoS, but, I'm Day Two of a ruthless cold/flu, and I'm in no shape to do my work, so I will seek it out today!

EDIT:

@DEKE_RIVERS , I didn't say Cameron wasn't "good enough for James Bond", but I did say I was a fan of his earlier work, not so much a fan post The Abyss, but, I also stated, at least he knows how to entertain, unlike Nolan (IMO), but his original scripts are a mess (read his SPIDERMAN as an example), and I did admit, after the question was posed, that I'd take a running leap off a building, if Cameron was ever chosen to direct Bond.

Nothing I wrote above had anything to do with Cameron being "good enough for Bond", and had everything to do with how important scripts are-- you know, the things you claimed are "not made to be read" (so do actors just come up with their own lines? Even when improvising, it's based on what was in the script. Do stories just magically appear on screen?... Do you see how your statement is a little bit... Naive?)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    @mtm, a fun exercise as well, is to take a script, and follow the finished film, page by page and see how the production crew deviated from the script, or made changes due to locations they ended up getting, or further exploring themes/character that was in the script, but the production became inspired to run with a certain idea, or concept........

That sounds good; is there a particular film you've done that with which you've found particularly interesting?
    I haven't seen Andrew Ellard's essay on QoS, but, I'm Day Two of a ruthless cold/flu, and I'm in no shape to do my work, so I will seek it out today!

Oh sorry to hear that, I hope you're feeling better soon. Here it is, I found it a very interesting watch because he knows what he's talking about when it comes to story construction.
    It's hard to find things like that: I've always been a bit fascinated with Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, because it's a formulaic adventure script which should be sort of easy to get right if you just follow the rules, and yet it's a dreadful mess with missing motivations, characters who act oddly, a plot which isn't joined together etc. I tried a podcast called something like Script Doctors where they said they'd be talking about how it could be improved, and all they came up with was 'put Short Round in it' 8-| :))

• peterpeter Toronto
    @mtm , I’ve done this numerous times with drafts of the original Die Hard.

There was an excellent, excellent, excellent script called FIRST LAST KISS (I love that title), and it’s a rom-com— which is NOT my genre (but I READ all genres). This incredible script that was poignant, beautiful, genuinely laugh-out-loud funny turned into the…… Will Smith film, HITCH, which, to me, was the antithesis of the script it was born from. The final film, although having basic story and many scenes that were familiar to the script, were interpreted as loud, brash, annoying, lacking in genuine laughs, lacking in true characterization…. This is the example I always use when I can point to why the script was far better than the film.

Thanks for posting the essay— I’m going to watch it right now!! Thanks again!!

EDIT:

@DEKE_RIVERS , I didn't say Cameron wasn't "good enough for James Bond", but I did say I was a fan of his earlier work, not so much a fan post The Abyss, but, I also stated, at least he knows how to entertain, unlike Nolan (IMO), but his original scripts are a mess (read his SPIDERMAN as an example), and I did admit, after the question was posed, that I'd take a running leap off a building, if Cameron was ever chosen to direct Bond.

Nothing I wrote above had anything to do with Cameron being "good enough for Bond", and had everything to do with how important scripts are-- you know, the things you claimed are "not made to be read" (so do actors just come up with their own lines? Even when improvising, it's based on what was in the script. Do stories just magically appear on screen?... Do you see how your statement is a little bit... Naive?)

Naive? Well, Cameron is doing fine with his scripts. Maybe it's magic too.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    @mtm , I’ve done this numerous times with drafts of the original Die Hard.

There was an excellent, excellent, excellent script called FIRST LAST KISS (I love that title), and it’s a rom-com— which is NOT my genre (but I READ all genres). This incredible script that was poignant, beautiful, genuinely laugh-out-loud funny turned into the…… Will Smith film, HITCH, which, to me, was the antithesis of the script it was born from. The final film, although having basic story and many scenes that were familiar to the script, were interpreted as loud, brash, annoying, lacking in genuine laughs, lacking in true characterization…. This is the example I always use when I can point to why the script was far better than the film.

Thanks, those sound fascinating- I didn't know that about Hitch, that sounds mad. I'll definitely look into those.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I’m about half way through @mtm …. Andrew really knows his stuff. I love how he dissects themes, character, story-elements like swagger and humour, and the idea of plot vs story; he’s able to theorize about unexplored threads that kind of just stop in the finished film, likely being remnants from earlier drafts.Great observations on his part.

I’m also enjoying Andrew’s corrections, how he takes what’s there and makes a few chops (the PTS we have now, for example, and starts the PTS with the rooftop battle with Mitchell; from a story perspective Andrew is using start late/leave early (which should be the tact we use for story, and for every single scene).

This is brilliant; Andrew has a high IQ when it comes to the anatomy of a film story and I can’t really argue against his criticisms, nor can I pick apart his suggestions on how to improve Quantum. He’s pretty bang-on!!!

I’ll be finishing this later today, but thank you again for posting this. I love how an expert on story can really dig-in and gives us a great analysis of what we have, what we likely had in earlier drafts, and what could have been done to accentuate the positives of this film…
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's very satisfying isn't it. I think I'm going to give it a rewatch too. I still love his observation (which seems obvious in retrospect when it's pointed out) that although we're told QoS is a revenge film, Bond isn't actually out for revenge at all, and his final words to M were the truth. He's not even rogue in the film, except for a brief period of 90 seconds!

He used to do reviews and 'tweetnotes' on Twitter to various films and TV: I love this comment about Skyfall which I must admit I never noticed- "A neat one - having gone home for the finale, Bond only gets his aim back when he picks up his father's rifle. Fab"

You can read some collected tweets here: Skyfall,
    Spectre
    Spectre review
    As you say, I just find there's some great insights there.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Ahaha, read all the SF tweets @mtm; his last one, my favourite and I’ve said this here: Home Alone finale? No, homage to Straw Dogs.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh yeah, most definitely. Home Alone is just Straw Dogs for kids! With fewer shotguns :D
  • peterpeter Toronto
    mtm wrote: »
    Oh yeah, most definitely. Home Alone is just Straw Dogs for kids! With fewer shotguns :D

💯 💯 💯 😂
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    I think it's fair to argue that a Cameron Bond film could happen, he could do it, it would be marketable and likely commercially successful.

Would it be interesting or "good"? That's to taste and chance. But it won't happen, because as has been outlined, Cameron doesn't seem very interested, and frankly the producers probably aren't interested in working with him just based on his reputation and tendency lately to delay his projects for ever-expanding scope. They're hopefully headed in the opposite direction.

I do worry Bond will get much more American influence behind the camera going forward, though I'm not sure I trust British culture to be any better to ground Bond in these days.
    The problem I have with hyping big name directors is inflating expectations. The deflation from SF to SP was interesting. Not everyone agrees of course, but many of us were less enthusiastic about Mendes' second effort.

Sometimes I think a big director means a big film. As a kid I appreciated a lean film like FRWL as opposed to a big film like Lawrence of Arabia. Loved both. Yet each felt right in its own way. Those older, earlier Bond films always left me wanting more, whereas more recent films have oddly left me wanting less. I don't need a Bond film on an epic scale, nor do I need a directorial statement.