Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 1 Posts: 14,991
    007HallY wrote: »
    I can't see Connery's Bond donning a clown suit and trying to dismantle a bomb convincingly, all while looking genuinely fearful about what will happen. The kind of Bond that Moore was - that's not to say only more humorous, but a Bond who was allowed to show vulnerability on slightly more occasions - I think allowed for that kind of Hitchcockian moment. It's a great scene in my opinion.

Yes, that's a scene where I too can't see Connery playing that scene as vulnerable and fearful as Moore plays it. Connery's Bond was too untouchable and super-assured for it to be very easy to imagine. He can karate-chop his way out of a crashing plane without messing up his tie.
    Your point about RM007's revulsion at Orlov's plan is a good one too; and I'd say there's a real sense that he properly hates Zorin in the next film too; there's probably even shades of that in the way he treats Scaramanga too. SC007 is more likely to find a baddie slightly amusing, someone to spar with. I can't think of that sense of hatred apart from early on with FRWL. He's supposed to be obsessed with finding Blofeld, but it doesn't feel like anything other than a professional gripe because nothing really ever phases him- he's too indestructible for that. Lazenby actually played Bond as hating Blofeld more.
    Likewise there's a surprising warmth between him and Octopussy herself on a level that I'm not sure the SC Bond showed with a partner. There's certainly no sense that him and Domino are great loves. Would he have walked hand in hand with Lisl on that beach on the morning after? Even with Stacey (who I don't think any of us would count as one of Bond's prospective life partners!) he's cooking her dinner, tucking her in; being protective and caring.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited January 1 Posts: 1,434
    mtm wrote: »
    I can't see Connery's Bond donning a clown suit and trying to dismantle a bomb convincingly, all while looking genuinely fearful about what will happen. The kind of Bond that Moore was - that's not to say only more humorous, but a Bond who was allowed to show vulnerability on slightly more occasions - I think allowed for that kind of Hitchcockian moment. It's a great scene in my opinion.

Yes, that's a scene where I too can't see Connery playing that scene as vulnerable and fearful as Moore plays it. Connery's Bond was too untouchable and super-assured for it to be very easy to imagine. He can karate-chop his way out of a crashing plane without messing up his tie.
    Your point about RM007's revulsion at Orlov's plan is a good one too; and I'd say there's a real sense that he properly hates Zorin in the next film too; there's probably even shades of that in the way he treats Scaramanga too. SC007 is more likely to find a baddie slightly amusing, someone to spar with. I can't think of that sense of hatred apart from early on with FRWL.
    Likewise there's a surprising warmth between him and Octopussy herself on a level that I'm not sure the SC Bond showed with a partner. There's certainly no sense that him and Domino are great loves. Would he have walked hand in hand with Lisl on that beach on the morning after?

OP and the clown climax are my go-to party topics for my Bond fandom to casual people often, because of the complexity of Moore's portrayal, the cultural significance, the meta of the franchise laughing at itself at its most climatic moment!, the politics, the art! To me it captures the spirit of the Bond phenomenon as good as any other standout scene.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    LucknFate wrote: »

Your point about RM007's revulsion at Orlov's plan is a good one too; and I'd say there's a real sense that he properly hates Zorin in the next film too; there's probably even shades of that in the way he treats Scaramanga too. SC007 is more likely to find a baddie slightly amusing, someone to spar with. I can't think of that sense of hatred apart from early on with FRWL.
    Likewise there's a surprising warmth between him and Octopussy herself on a level that I'm not sure the SC Bond showed with a partner. There's certainly no sense that him and Domino are great loves. Would he have walked hand in hand with Lisl on that beach on the morning after?

OP and the clown climax are my go-to party topics for my Bond fandom to casual people often, because of the complexity of Moore's portrayal, the cultural significance, the meta of the franchise laughing at itself at its most climatic moment!, the politics, the art! To me it captures the spirit of the Bond phenomenon as good as any other standout scene.

That's a great way to put it :-bd
  • edited January 1 Posts: 2,954

Your point about RM007's revulsion at Orlov's plan is a good one too; and I'd say there's a real sense that he properly hates Zorin in the next film too; there's probably even shades of that in the way he treats Scaramanga too. SC007 is more likely to find a baddie slightly amusing, someone to spar with. I can't think of that sense of hatred apart from early on with FRWL. He's supposed to be obsessed with finding Blofeld, but it doesn't feel like anything other than a professional gripe because nothing really ever phases him- he's too indestructible for that. Lazenby actually played Bond as hating Blofeld more.
    Likewise there's a surprising warmth between him and Octopussy herself on a level that I'm not sure the SC Bond showed with a partner. There's certainly no sense that him and Domino are great loves. Would he have walked hand in hand with Lisl on that beach on the morning after? Even with Stacey (who I don't think any of us would count as one of Bond's prospective life partners!) he's cooking her dinner, tucking her in; being protective and caring.

Yes, as you said it's there as well even earlier than TSWLM with Bond and Scaramanga's conversation.

I think it points to a relatively organic progression of the writing, as well as the filmmakers playing to Moore's strengths. But definitely, there are certain things I can't imagine Connery's Bond doing that we see from Moore's Bond. Like I said before though, it doesn't make either less great.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, I think it's the writing moving with the times, and anyone who suggests that humanising Bond came in with Craig has missed that it's actually been a subtle process over the last 50 years or so.
    I'm certainly not saying Connery was bad: he's clearly absolutely superb! But it's just interesting to note the changes to the character over the years to suit the audience's changing expectations. I'd have loved to have seen Connery play the more modern version of Bond in NSNA as I think it could have been fascinating to see him give it a little more depth, but it was more designed as a return to the 60s superspy Bond with one-liners and smooth effortless escapes.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    It's amazing really, and it makes me a little sad about Indiana Jones in a way. Because I think Ford's Indy is up there as being as iconic as Connery's Bond was, but with Bond they started to change actor relatively quickly and have proven that the role can be reinterpreted just as successfully. But Indy stayed Ford, and although he's clearly amazing in the role, it can never be anyone else. I much prefer having Moore and Craig etc. as Bond because they were just as good and successful in my eyes, and the alternative is not having anything at all.

I always think 1983 is an interesting one as we get to compare pretty much directly and, for my money, Connery's Bond in NSNA was actually less interesting and more 2D than Moore's in Octopussy. The character had moved on; only very slightly, but it's there. Connery is obviously still great as he's Connery and was never bad in anything, but OP's Bond was warmer, more capable of fear and just a touch more human.

I don't think so. Bond in NSNA looks like a real person. Roger's Bond was a superhero.

I agree with @mtm. The way I see it, Connery's efforts deserve little blame. NSNA just wasn't the proper film for his big comeback as 007. Without Connery, the film would be unbearable for me. Connery, at least, elevates every scene he's in. That said, he wasn't a miracle worker either and the Bond of NSNA falls very flat for me. Moore, on the other hand, played charming, serious and comedic in a film that, in my opinion, played to his strengths. I like both actors in the role. The problem, for me, is how each film allowed its star to shine. OP did it better, IMO.

I don't think so. Con
    It's amazing really, and it makes me a little sad about Indiana Jones in a way. Because I think Ford's Indy is up there as being as iconic as Connery's Bond was, but with Bond they started to change actor relatively quickly and have proven that the role can be reinterpreted just as successfully. But Indy stayed Ford, and although he's clearly amazing in the role, it can never be anyone else. I much prefer having Moore and Craig etc. as Bond because they were just as good and successful in my eyes, and the alternative is not having anything at all.

I always think 1983 is an interesting one as we get to compare pretty much directly and, for my money, Connery's Bond in NSNA was actually less interesting and more 2D than Moore's in Octopussy. The character had moved on; only very slightly, but it's there. Connery is obviously still great as he's Connery and was never bad in anything, but OP's Bond was warmer, more capable of fear and just a touch more human.

I don't think so. Bond in NSNA looks like a real person. Roger's Bond was a superhero.

I agree with @mtm. The way I see it, Connery's efforts deserve little blame. NSNA just wasn't the proper film for his big comeback as 007. Without Connery, the film would be unbearable for me. Connery, at least, elevates every scene he's in. That said, he wasn't a miracle worker either and the Bond of NSNA falls very flat for me. Moore, on the other hand, played charming, serious and comedic in a film that, in my opinion, played to his strengths. I like both actors in the role. The problem, for me, is how each film allowed its star to shine. OP did it better, IMO.

Again, Connery's Bond looks real. Moore was doing the Tarzan yell (or his stunt man).

If the Tarzan yell is a problem, then we might as well talk about the OOOOOH! yell in NSNA, when Bond rides a horse from a cliff as if he's Wile E. Coyote. OP is the film in which Bond tells a tiger to sit; NSNA is the film in which he defeats a thug with his apparently corrosive urine sample. When it comes to avoiding silly stuff, I don't think there are many winners in this era of the series.

NSNA was more grounded. That's all.

Bond looks like a real person in this one.

Moore was a superhero.

Wait, Connery looked like a "real person", and Moore "was a superhero"?

Where was Moore's cape? Hiding under the clown suit (that he was sweating through while he was trying to diffuse a bomb)?

Or, in the end, what is your definition of a superhero, @DEKE_RIVERS ?
  • edited January 1 Posts: 732
    "Soft" does not mean "human".

peter wrote: »

I don't think so. Con

Again, Connery's Bond looks real. Moore was doing the Tarzan yell (or his stunt man).

If the Tarzan yell is a problem, then we might as well talk about the OOOOOH! yell in NSNA, when Bond rides a horse from a cliff as if he's Wile E. Coyote. OP is the film in which Bond tells a tiger to sit; NSNA is the film in which he defeats a thug with his apparently corrosive urine sample. When it comes to avoiding silly stuff, I don't think there are many winners in this era of the series.

Moore was a superhero.

Wait, Connery looked like a "real person", and Moore "was a superhero"?

Where was Moore's cape? Hiding under the clown suit (that he was sweating through while he was trying to diffuse a bomb)?

Or, in the end, what is your definition of a superhero, @DEKE_RIVERS ?

Over the top stunts.

Connery's Bond is more like Indiana Jones. Fights, punches, etc. He did not fly without gadgets.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

I don't think so. Con

Moore was a superhero.

You keep repeating that Moore was a superhero, but I'm not seeing it. He's Bond, isn't he? Serious when it matters, a bit lighter in other moments.

'Grounded,' you say. When thugs are essentially defeated with urine, when sharks attack high-pitch sounds, when pens fire missiles, when lasers from watches cut through steel chains, when horses jump off cliffs, when a villain keeps the location of his precious bombs engraved on a jewel worn by a romantically suspicious mistress, ... ? I'm not complaining -- such is the cocktail of many a Bond film. I just don't see what makes NSNA more grounded than OP.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited January 1 Posts: 8,548
    Who called anyone “soft”?

Sean didnt fly in NSNA (but had a jet pack in TB), but had a super bike, right??

And isn’t OTT stunts kinda the deal with Bond @DEKE_RIVERS ?

Again, what’s your definition of superhero?
    I just don't see what makes NSNA more grounded than OP.

Octopussy was a lot dafter than Never Say Never Again. It had more silly moments that were played just for laughs. Even Raymond Benson mentioned this in his Bedside Companion.
    I mean, imagine Connery swinging through the jungle doing a Tarzan yell in NSNA. It wasn't that type of film. It was fantastical, but it wasn't slapstick.

... it's just interesting to note the changes to the character over the years to suit the audience's changing expectations.

How have you determined a change in audience expectations?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I just don't see what makes NSNA more grounded than OP.

Octopussy was a lot dafter than Never Say Never Again. It had more silly moments that were played just for laughs. Even Raymond Benson mentioned this in his Bedside Companion.
    I mean, imagine Connery swinging through the jungle doing a Tarzan yell in NSNA. It wasn't that type of film. It was fantastical, but it wasn't slapstick.

Tossing pee into an opponent’s face isn’t slapstick?

🤷‍♂️… ok….
  • edited January 1 Posts: 732

Sean didnt fly in NSNA (but had a jet pack in TB), but had a super bike, right??

NSNA is more grounded.

Nobody cares about this anymore because we love over the top stunts.
    Connery did not need to act soft because he had the whole script for himself. It's not all about the stunts.
  • peter wrote: »

NSNA is more grounded.

Connery did not need to act soft because he had all the script for himself. It's not all about the stunts.

There’s absolutely no argument that could be made for NSNA being a more grounded film than any of Roger’s movies. Any argument that you could potentially make goes out the window the minute the “urine” moment is mentioned.

But by all means OP/Moore are way more campier…
  • peterpeter Toronto

NSNA is more grounded.

Connery did not need to act soft because he had all the script for himself. It's not all about the stunts.

You’re putting words in my mouth.

I never called Connery soft.

I didn’t say it was all about the stunts.

You keep saying that NSNA is more grounded than OP, but offer no examples or comparisons.

You called Moore a superhero, and I did ask what you meant by “superhero “, yet you didn’t answer.

You said Connery didn’t fly with gadgets, and I said, but he had a tricked out bike.

So @DEKE_RIVERS , you keep repeating the same thing, you’re not answering questions or avoiding comparisons, and now you’re putting words in my mouth…

How is NSNA more grounded than OP?

And what is your definition of superhero?
    Again?

THE OVER THE TOP STUNTS.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Oh boy… so according to you OTT stunts make a film less grounded (or less exciting)?

And what stunts in OP are deemed too over the top, @DEKE_RIVERS ?
    Less grounded? Sure.

Nobody cares about this, I know. We love the stunts.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    CrabKey wrote: »
    ... it's just interesting to note the changes to the character over the years to suit the audience's changing expectations.

Slightly odd question. I would say that blockbusters and action films have changed over the years to give slightly deeper characterisation- Bond being a pretty straightforward control experiment on that front as it's the same series running for a very long time. That audiences have stayed watching these films and responded well to them, I'd say that's a pretty good sign of changing expectations. Do you disagree?

NSNA is more grounded.

There’s absolutely no argument that could be made for NSNA being a more grounded film than any of Roger’s movies. Any argument that you could potentially make goes out the window the minute the “urine” moment is mentioned.

NSNA also has remote-controlled sharks. Plus man-sized hovering jet rocket things and a mad woman wanting James Bond to sign a document saying she was his greatest ever lay. And, y'know, Rowan Atkinson not exactly giving his most subtle performance.
    Oh boy… so according to you OTT stunts make a film less grounded (or less exciting)?

I really wouldn't bother, Peter.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    CrabKey wrote: »

Slightly odd question. I would say that blockbusters and action films have changed over the years to give slightly deeper characterisation- Bond being a pretty straightforward control experiment on that front. That audiences have stayed watching these films and responded well to them, I'd say that's a pretty good sign of changing expectations. Do you disagree?

NSNA is more grounded.

NSNA also has remote-controlled sharks. Plus man-sized hovering jet rocket things and a mad woman wanting James Bond to sign a document saying she was his greatest ever lay. And, y'know, Rowan Atkinson not exactly giving his most subtle performance.

I really wouldn't bother, Peter.

Agreed, 😂… oh well….
    I think if the average person were to watch Octopussy and Never Say Never Again, they would say Octopussy was more outlandish than Never Say Never Again. There's daft stuff in most Bond movies, but Octopussy has more daft stuff than Never Say Never Again.
    We could spend all day saying "but this happened in such-and-such", but I'd be very surprised if the average person considered Octopussy as the more 'grounded' of the two.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think if the average person were to watch Octopussy and Never Say Never Again, they would say Octopussy was more outlandish than Never Say Never Again. There's daft stuff in most Bond movies, but Octopussy has more daft stuff than Never Say Never Again.
    We could spend all day saying "but this happened in such-and-such", but I'd be very surprised if the average person considered Octopussy as the more 'grounded' of the two.

I don't know really; it wears the clothes of a gritty spy thriller in quite a few places with all the Russian, nuclear, train, twins in the woods, smuggling stuff; Orlov dying on the tracks and all that. I think although it's much bigger and has more stuff packed into it, a punter coming out of the cinema might be left with the impression OP is a touch more serious than NSNA is- it's all to do with tone, and OP has more in the way of darker moments for my money. And I'd never underestimate the power of John Barry to make something silly feel deadly serious. But then of course OP does have Q in his hot air balloon near the end too! :)
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I’ll take Bond swinging on a vine like Tarzan over this.

tumblr_p1pi7gqYS61tgh17uo1_1280.png

The last time I went though the Bond films I included NSNA in the watchlist, having it back to back with OP. I hadn’t given it a watch for maybe a decade, so I thought maybe revisiting it with fresher eyes might make for a more entertaining viewing.

Nope. The reason NSNA doesn’t pass the sniff test is because it’s just flat out dull all across. The only thing that kind of elevates above the material is Klaus Maria Brandauer‘s performance. He’s actually pretty menacing. And Bernie Casey is actually a charismatic Leiter, which is always a bonus.

Is OCTOPUSSY more over the top, and less grounded than NSNA? Yes, but that’s not to the detriment of the film. In fact, the reason I’ll take OP over NSNA is because it’s just flat out more entertaining, and it’s no surprise that’s why that ended up topping Connery’s film at the box office.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 1 Posts: 2,934
    I'm not sure that Connery could come over as soft even if he trained for it, tbh. Vulnerable occasionally, but that's not the same thing. That flint in the eye's always there, ready to spark a fire when it's needed. Even with the odds against him, Connery's Bond exudes an air of being the most dangerous man in the room. That's a great quality he brought to the films and I do think it was something about Connery himself, rather than him just playing it that way.
    Again, Craig's Bond seems to me to be the most innately dangerous after Connery's, but in Dan's case that does seem to be down to the brilliance of his acting - Rachel Weisz famously saying that Dan wasn't a tough guy at all, he was just really good at playing one. Bottom line: had any other Bond actor but Connery been the first screen Bond, we might well not be on here today.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Venutius wrote: »
    I'm not sure that Connery could come over as soft even if he trained for it, tbh. Vulnerable occasionally, but that's not the same thing. That flint in the eye's always there, ready to spark a fire when it's needed. There's no moment when you get the sense that Connery's Bond isn't the most dangerous man in the room. That's a great quality he brought to the films.

Re-reading the posts to try and make sense of some of this, I think deke was calling Roger soft. I think, but I’m still not sure.

Connery certainly wasn’t soft, but his toupee and makeup were terrible. Otherwise, he moved really nicely and his usual charisma was beaming as bright as it ever did.

But I’m of the mind that OP was not only the better film (story and execution of story to film), it was more grounded compared to NSNA. As mtm pointed out: it’s the Cold War stuff that plays louder to me than a one second Tarzan yell; it was the brutal assassination of 009, the US airbase and the ticking time bomb (literally), the death of Orlov… All of this was wrapped up with some very nice suspense and tension— two things that NSNA doesn’t have in abundance, but OP does, and I think it’s what further grounds the EoN picture…..
    I think Connery convincingly acted scared and vulnerable after he got shot in the leg and was being chased by Volpe and her men through the Junkanoo in TB. Of course he turns on the unflappable charm again when he has to dance with her again but Bond often acts sure of himself as a defence mechanism when he’s verbally sparring with his enemies.
    Is OCTOPUSSY more over the top, and less grounded than NSNA? Yes, but that’s not to the detriment of the film.

That's right.

I re-watched OP only last week, and I found it very watchable, and yes, it's probably more entertaining than NSNA.
    In my ideal world, I'd trim five or six things from OP just to make it less juvenile.
    Of course, Connery is the only Bond to break the 'fourth wall' in NSNA, (unless you count Laz's "other fellow" comment).

I’ll take Bond swinging on a vine like Tarzan over this.

tumblr_p1pi7gqYS61tgh17uo1_1280.png

The last time I went though the Bond films I included NSNA in the watchlist, having it back to back with OP. I hadn’t given it a watch for maybe a decade, so I thought maybe revisiting it with fresher eyes might make for a more entertaining viewing.

Nope. The reason NSNA doesn’t pass the sniff test is because it’s just flat out dull all across. The only thing that kind of elevates above the material is Klaus Maria Brandauer‘s performance. He’s actually pretty menacing. And Bernie Casey is actually a charismatic Leiter, which is always a bonus.

Is OCTOPUSSY more over the top, and less grounded than NSNA? Yes, but that’s not to the detriment of the film. In fact, the reason I’ll take OP over NSNA is because it’s just flat out more entertaining, and it’s no surprise that’s why that ended up topping Connery’s film at the box office.

This.
    As a kid, I found the video game scene awesome! But oh boy, that hasn't aged well. In fact, a problem I have with NSNA that I haven't with any other Bond film is that it has visibly aged so poorly. The sound, music, effects, photography, and so on, all have sunken to depths a Bond film normally doesn't reach, no matter how old. GF and TB feel like more modern Bond films to me than NSNA. And ageless too.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    The photography thing is a weird one because it’s by Douglas Slocombe, whose previous film was RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. I dunno why why the movie looks as dull as it does. Maybe that’s just a consequence of having different production team working off of.
    The photography thing is a weird one because it’s by Douglas Slocombe, whose previous film was RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. I dunno why why the movie looks as dull as it does. Maybe that’s just a consequence of having different production team working off of.

That's the problem. Kirsch, Slocombe, Semple Jr., Legrand and most of the cast have done great things in many other projects. How this film could ever end up looking and sounding like a made-for-TV adventure like Reb Brown's Captain America is incomprehensible. It's as if a really good Bond film was made and then got destroyed, leaving the whole team a mere three weeks to come up with something for a cost of 200k dollars. I have never understood this. This was supposed to be McClory's big revenge film. I mean... I don't think Cubby was shivering.