Would you rather spend time in Venice with Tatiana (FRWL) OR Vesper (CR 06)

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    edited November 2023 Posts: 4,982
    Good stuff as always

Lets do one more viewing battle!

These two films feature a villain controlling a satellite in space to bring "peace" to the world. In one film it's being done for a ransom, the other the villain wishes to increase the communist country of his nation!

Would you rather watch DAF OR DAD

In one corner, a Bond actor returns for his final performance in the tuxedo for EON. We have a bit of globetrotting with Bond going from Holland to Vegas. We have a villain using cosmetic surgery to create clones of himself. We have a moon buggy, some female henchmen and a Felix Leiter who is often frustrated and mad at James. Climax on an oil rig with no resolution for the villain.

In the other corner, a Bond actor makes his last appearance. Some globetrotting with Hong Kong, Korea and Cuba. We have a villain who is using cosmetic surgery to change his appearance. An invisible car, some dodgy CGI, a Bond who is captured. An Academy Award winner saddles up to our hero. Climax on an airplane with two gonzo fights and a resolution with the tension between Bond and Moneypenny!

Which one dear community members would you rather watch?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Sean is a legend but I find DAF to be such a slog that I have to go with DAD; no doubt it's got major flaws but I still find it more entertaining than DAF
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    DAF. With an F in the end. And once more: DAF. Always. It's a mess, but not quite as much of a mess as the other one, and far(!) funnier. Have I said before that you might exchange "DAF" for any other Bond movie abbreviation, and DAD will never be my choice?
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited November 2023 Posts: 2,629
    neither-of-them-really-benedict-townsend.gif
    However, to uphold the spirit of @thedove's thread, I will choose DAF. Witty dialogue and Barry’s score make it somewhat watchable. In addition, Jill St. John is among the most attractive Bond girls ever – even if I find her character increasing annoying as the film progresses.

While quite the comedown after OHMSS, like MR, if I park my brain outside of the screening room, I can have fun with it.

My negative feelings about DAD are well known.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    DAD.
    It's not a good film, but it doesn't bore the arse off me the way DAF does. And when it comes to films, being boring is a far worse crime than being bad.
  • This is a tough one, but I’d probably pick DAD more these days. I’ve honestly said so many negative things about both movies, and while I’d give DAF the edge for some of its characters, and the John Barry score, the rest of the film overall is just so daft and ugly compared to the films that have proceeded it, and a lot of the attempts at ‘humor’ falls flat to me. DAD on the other hand just has the sin of being stupid in places, and I think Brosnan is worth putting up with that stupidity. As much as I love Connery, I can’t say the same about DAF.
  • DAD as its not set in the United States. Las Vegas looks a tacky nightmare.in DAF plus Blofeld in drag..Just no.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I actually really enjoy DAD every time I watch it, it's a fine Bond film if you can look past the cgi and over the top plot.
    However for this round I'm going to pick DAF. Sean Connery is having so much fun, it has countless great characters and a plethora of wonderful lines.
    Sure it's silly and camp, but it's also lots of fun if you're in the mood.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 6,822
    DAF is not top tier Bond, but as DAD is the Worst Bond movie Ever, its got to be the former!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    DAF by country milessss.

If Sean Connery was fast asleep, snoring and drooling as Bond, he's still light years ahead of Brosnan. In other words: Sean in DAF engages me wayyyy more than Brosnan in DAD....

The quips in DAF are sharp, vulgar and funny, whereas DAD's "quips" were flaccid.

Wint and Kidd were, and are, memorable, whereas Zao is... forgettable at best (although Pike was damn good in her role, and she's the only person I want to watch in that film).

Q vs Q, just no comparison at all...

DAF had its slobbering tongue firmly in cheek, while DAD truly made me feel embarrassed while I watched it that first time.
    Oof, my least favorite two EON Bond films. Still DAF for Wint & Kidd.
  • peter wrote: »
    DAF by country milessss.

If Sean Connery was fast asleep, snoring and drooling as Bond, he's still light years ahead of Brosnan.

See I don’t entirely disagree with a lot of your other sentiments on DAF, but this one I take exception because I don’t think that’s a fair criticism myself. I know you’ve made your opinions on Brosnan quite clear on here, and that’s all fine and dandy, but that doesn’t excuse the lack of effort from Connery in both YOLT and DAF. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather watch an actor who’s at least attempting to sell the material he’s stuck with and try to make it work than an actor who is clearly just there for a paycheck.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited November 2023 Posts: 8,037
    peter wrote: »
    DAF by country milessss.

If Sean Connery was fast asleep, snoring and drooling as Bond, he's still light years ahead of Brosnan.

See I don’t entirely disagree with a lot of your other sentiments on DAF, but this one I take exception because I don’t think that’s a fair criticism myself. I know you’ve made your opinions on Brosnan quite clear on here, and that’s all fine and dandy, but that doesn’t excuse the lack of effort from Connery in both YOLT and DAF. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather watch an actor who’s at least attempting to sell the material he’s stuck with and try to make it work than an actor who is clearly just there for a paycheck.

Agreed on DAF (I don't have much issue with YOLT as others do). While I find mostly everything about to be lazy and limp, this in particular applies to Connery's performance. It's erectile dysfunction Bond.

Though I'm sure @peter was being hyperbolic with his assessments. I don't think anyone wants to see a drooling Bond.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 2,080
    peter wrote: »
    DAF by country milessss.

Agreed on DAF (I don't have much issue with YOLT as others do). While I find mostly everything about to be lazy and limp, this in particular applies to Connery's performance. It's erectile dysfunction Bond.

Though I'm sure @peter was being hyperbolic with his assessments. I don't think anyone wants to see a drooling Bond.

I’m sure he was too, even if he wasn’t, that’s his opinion and I just disagree. But it points to a larger issue that I personally have with Connery’s Bond; I think his performances in YOLT and DAF have brought him down in my estimation. It’s easy for me to tell that this was somebody who was clearly not having any desire to be playing the character anymore, which is such a shame considering how great he was in the first four films. It’s a huge drop in quality, and one that we haven’t seen from any of the other actors throughout their tenures. “Erectile Dysfunction” Bond really is a great way to put it.

Ironically I think that was a reason why I used to be such a huge Lazenby fanboy/supporter. It felt like a huge fresh breath of air to have someone who was actually engaged with the role despite his shortcomings as an actor.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited November 2023 Posts: 8,025
    DAF easily. It’s my guilty pleasure Bond film. I can literally put it on anytime when I’m in any mood, and it never fails to put a smile on my face.

I do enjoy the first half of DAD, and if the second half was as good as the first half then I’d rank it well over DAF… but that second half is god awful.

And I disagree with the silly take that Connery was sleepwalking. Frankly, it’s the most engaged he has ever looked since GF. Just because he has an extra amount of pounds doesn’t take away from how utterly charismatic he is throughout DAF.
  • Just because he has an extra amount of pounds doesn’t take away from how utterly charismatic he is throughout DAF.

Connery’s weight has nothing to do with the quality of that performance. And what charisma?
    Just because he has an extra amount of pounds doesn’t take away from how utterly charismatic he is throughout DAF.

Connery’s weight has nothing to do with the quality of that performance. And what charisma?

The way he plays fake surprise at “killing” James Bond. That’s just among a ton of scenes that I find him a lot of fun to watch. Funnily, I thought he had more chemistry with Gray’s Blofeld than he did with Pleasence’s.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 2,080
    Just because he has an extra amount of pounds doesn’t take away from how utterly charismatic he is throughout DAF.

The way he plays fake surprise at “killing” James Bond. That’s just among a ton of scenes that I find him a lot of fun to watch. Funnily, I thought he had more chemistry with Gray’s Blofeld than he did with Pleasence’s.

I agree on the chemistry he has with Gray vs Pleasence, but to me that isn’t really saying much when compared to the chemistry he had with Joseph Wiseman, Robert Shaw, Gert Frobe, heck even Adolfo Celi. Every time Connery shared a screen with any of those villains, there was always a slight tension beneath the surface of those encounters. I don’t feel any tension between Connery and Gray. They come across more like old friends than mortal enemies. I also don’t deny that there are moments where that old magic Connery had from Dr. No to Thunderball comes back, but for me those moments are few and far between. For every scene like the elevator fight or coffin burning scene, there are plenty of moments where Connery stands around conveying a look of boredom, looking like he’d rather be anywhere else. It’s a night and day difference between his performance in DAF and his performance in something like FRWL or GF imo.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    DAF was once my least favorite film in the series. In the Mid-10's it did climb all the way up to 16th, as there are some spots I really like. Wint & Kidd are a triumph in every scene they are in and the movie sorely missed their presence through the middle portions of the film.

DAD has always been in the bottom 4, and unfortunately last place over the last 3 years, but I still enjoy each viewing. I actually have an urge to put it on now!
    I never tire of DAF. So DAF.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    DAF. Mostly for the song and score.
    I think it may have my favorite song out of all of them.
  • It is a great theme song. That bass line is perfect.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I think I'm one of the few who actually likes both of them. They're both absolute nonsense, but I quite like them for that. They are my go-to silly films.

Now, if I have to pick one, I think I'll take DAF, even though I hate missing out on Raoul and his Delectados.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 723
    DAF is Connery's Octopussy. A fun but silly movie.
    It has a cool Bond, cool story and Charles Gray is great as Hugo Drax ;)
    (He is not a good Blofeld but he is a great villain)

DAD is fine but unoriginal. It's another DAF remake after GE.

And I disagree with the silly take that Connery was sleepwalking. Frankly, it’s the most engaged he has ever looked since GF. Just because he has an extra amount of pounds doesn’t take away from how utterly charismatic he is throughout DAF.

Yeah, I'll be very happy if the next Bond has half of Connery's charisma in DAF
    DAF no question
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 8,700
    But wasn't there an Eagles song named "Droolin' Dalton"? *

*Just using this for a bad pun, I don't think that Tim was drooling, either.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I was getting a little excited over my comparisons (so excited I forgot to mention the quality of the music on each film), but now taking a step back, and really giving a good think, I just maybe do want to see a drooling Bond... It may be an unexpected and original way of launching the new era.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 2,950
    I’ll represent DAD here and say while it’s a flawed Bond film, it has its moments. I actually think the PTS is quite solid and the premise of Bond being captured/trying to find out who betrayed him is compelling (even if his bushy 18 month beard is ridiculous). Brosnan even looks quite confident during much of the Cuba portion of the film.

It’s a film marred by silliness. Actually some of these ideas come from DAF - the idea of a villain surgically altering their appearance, a diamond powered laser etc. It feels like a film that began life as something much more interesting but soon devolved when the more ‘generic’ Bond ideas were introduced. But at the end of the day it feels like a James Bond film - albiet with untapped potential and a lot of questionable decisions.

Apart from Wint and Kitt and a couple of other scenes, I actually don’t find DAF particularity fun after the PTS. I actually find the middle portion of the film dull. It has a strangeness to it to the point where it doesn’t feel like a James Bond movie. I don’t mind Connery in it and the dialogue is actually quite snappy, but it’s not a Bond film I revisit often. So yeah, I guess DAD, but neither are my cup of tea.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    DAF or DAD?

It's basically Connery's DAF vs. Brosnan's 2nd DAF.

My pick is DAF. No CGI plus Connery's 007 and John Barry's score.