Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    @delfloria the strikes and Covid has hurt productions, development, castings, delayed film releases, killed at least two dozen productions as of this writing.

I know since I’ve been in the middle of it.

I’m sorry to say, you’re very wrong with your above statement.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    LucknFate wrote: »
    delfloria wrote: »
    I just got through reading about the premiere of the new Bond reality series. It looked like a film premiere lite with all of the Eon brass showing up and talking about it as if it was the premier of their next film. I'm sorry but I have no interest in this project and still feel that all the time and energy they have said that they poured into this to ensure it was up to their high standards could have been spent on Bond 26. With this and the Broadway play and other films they have recently produced I feel that they are having a hard time getting their heads around where to go after the Craig era and have lost their focus on making Bond FILMS. There are just so many hours in the day and brain cells you can apply to any given project and that EON is losing their passion for the cinematic Bond. At least for now.

Beating a dead horse at this point, but with Covid-19, two industry strikes which would have frozen any potential writing or casting work, the pending potential retirement of Michael G. Wilson, the onboarding of a new production partner in Amazon, the production of 2022's Till, the ongoing development of a video game, and then yes, also the production of a new TV show, has kept Eon busy and any potential film project pending.

Think back to the 90s/early aughts of Bond, with regular movie and game production with numerous global marketing/advertising tie-ins and the introduction of... a(n animated) James Bond tv show... I genuinely think the only thing holding Eon back at the moment is the tumultuous industry conditions, and the fact that their professional patience has paid off tremendously for them in the past, so why rush?

Why are you being so level headed? Us Bond fans are supposed to be entitled and impatient about Eon not making these films every two years nonstop.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    This is where bond should go after craig.
    Back to basics, like this... ;)
    wu5iw8l85dy31.jpg
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Since 2009 there's been as many terminator films in the cinemas as there have bond films.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    LucknFate wrote: »
    I just got through reading about the premiere of the new Bond reality series. It looked like a film premiere lite with all of the Eon brass showing up and talking about it as if it was the premier of their next film. I'm sorry but I have no interest in this project and still feel that all the time and energy they have said that they poured into this to ensure it was up to their high standards could have been spent on Bond 26. With this and the Broadway play and other films they have recently produced I feel that they are having a hard time getting their heads around where to go after the Craig era and have lost their focus on making Bond FILMS. There are just so many hours in the day and brain cells you can apply to any given project and that EON is losing their passion for the cinematic Bond. At least for now.

Beating a dead horse at this point, but with Covid-19, two industry strikes which would have frozen any potential writing or casting work, the pending potential retirement of Michael G. Wilson, the onboarding of a new production partner in Amazon, the production of 2022's Till, the ongoing development of a video game, and then yes, also the production of a new TV show, has kept Eon busy and any potential film project pending.

Think back to the 90s/early aughts of Bond, with regular movie and game production with numerous global marketing/advertising tie-ins and the introduction of... a(n animated) James Bond tv show... I genuinely think the only thing holding Eon back at the moment is the tumultuous industry conditions, and the fact that their professional patience has paid off tremendously for them in the past, so why rush?

Why are you being so level headed? Us Bond fans are supposed to be entitled and impatient about Eon not making these films every two years nonstop.

Half of everything is luck. The other half is fate. We're dealing with fate right now.
  • Since 2009 there's been as many terminator films in the cinemas as there have bond films.

None of which were actually good mind you.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 1,708
    peter wrote: »
    @delfloria the strikes and Covid has hurt productions, development, castings, delayed film releases, killed at least two dozen productions as of this writing.

As a member of the DGA, WGA, SAG and the AMPAS, I too am part of the business and am well aware of just how many projects die on a daily basis. Every project is subject to "The Death by a Million Cuts" but Bond is a unique case with a brand recognition and industry power base that few can match. And yes, I'm on strike right along with you.
    Anyway, it's all hypothetical because none of us seem to actually know what the inner workings of EON is at the moment. At least they are doing SOMETHING with the Bond property. Heck, I'm the first person who would love to see a VR game or themed attraction based on Bond with a David Arnold score, regardless of when the next film comes out.
  • According to Wikipedia Purvis and Wade were hired on Bond 25 in March of 2017, roughly 2 and a half years before the original release date for the film.

Sure but we were pretty close to getting a Bond 25 that was written by someone who only started writing it in 2018. And had that person delivered a script EON liked, the movie would have actually been released sooner!
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 486
    @delfloria Could not agree more. Nothing stopped EON from developing the movie between around spring/summer 2021 and May of this year. That's about two years. Chris Nolan regularly writes, directs and produces movies just as big as Bond in two years.

Of course, if they were simply waiting for Nolan, that makes sense.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Since 2009 there's been as many terminator films in the cinemas as there have bond films.

And what about The Terminator films?

star-trek-jean-luc-picard.gif
    edited November 2023 Posts: 8,095
    @delfloria Could not agree more. Nothing stopped EON from developing the movie between around spring/summer 2021 and May of this year. That's about two years. Chris Nolan regularly writes, directs and produces movies just as big as Bond in two years.

Of course, if they were simply waiting for Nolan, that makes sense.

Honestly if getting Nolan on board means we get a film in July or November 2026, EON should just do that. He's not my first choice, but he is believer in film/shooting things practically, and he has a deep passion for the series. That's good enough for me.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 2,074

And what about The Terminator films?

star-trek-jean-luc-picard.gif

Ahhh I was referring to the Terminator Films!!!! I should’ve been more clear.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »

As a member of the DGA, WGA, SAG and the AMPAS, I too am part of the business and am well aware of just how many projects die on a daily basis. Every project is subject to "The Death by a Million Cuts" but Bond is a unique case with a brand recognition and industry power base that few can match. And yes, I'm on strike right along with you.

Then as you know, with the strikes going on, whether EoN has brand recognition or not, they, like everyone else, is in a holding pattern. They CANT do anything (or at least couldn't until the WGA ratified).

Agreed. Interesting conundrum for EON is that the tone of the stories are at times tailored to the actors being consider for the role. At the moment it would seem that they can't negotiate or talk to potential actors until the strike situation is resolved. Yet, another current hiccup.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 8,095
    Agreed. Interesting conundrum for EON is that the tone of the stories are at times tailored to the actors being consider for the role. At the moment it would seem that they can't negotiate or talk to potential actors until the strike situation is resolved. Yet, another current hiccup.

If they keep waiting there's always gonna be another set back. It's like hopping on an escalator, sooner or later you just gotta go for it.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited November 2023 Posts: 5,979
    I'm sure Eon wants to cross the picket line and hire a scab to play Bond.
    echo wrote: »
    I'm sure Eon wants to cross the picket line and hire a scab to play Bond.

I didn't know stage one was casting bond with nothing to go on, my bad.
    Barbara Broccoli is in this thread. Every time she sees someone whine, she takes on another project that's not B26 just to bother the whiners.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Mendes4Lyfe , the studios are in a battle with the actors (that I am hopeful will be resolved by the end of this weekend); how many studios are making decisions on spending piles of money on dormant projects at the moment?? Not many, and that includes Amazon/MGM (who finance a little series about a British secret agent).

They're in a little war, at the moment, and they've been pissing and whining that they lost x number of dollars during this strike, and most of the head people aren't green-lighting any movement on many projects until the actors strike is settled.

Does that mean nothing is going on at EoN HQ? Not at all. I think the top heads are very busy mobilizing and preparing for after the end of the strike (when the head honchos will now be given the nod (from their bosses (who are busy working with lawyers to end this strike), to start green-lighting, developing and spending money again).

Remember that EoN doesn't finance the Bond pictures, they produce them. Which means they need their financiers to start funding the development of B26.

EoN can't start hiring anyone until this happens.
  • peter wrote: »
    @Mendes4Lyfe , the studios are in a battle with the actors (that I am hopeful will be resolved by the end of this weekend); how many studios are making decisions on spending piles of money on dormant projects at the moment?? Not many, and that includes Amazon/MGM (who finance a little series about a British secret agent).

They're in a little war, at the moment, and they've been pissing and whining that they lost x number of dollars during this strike, and most of the head people aren't green-lighting any movement on many projects until the actors strike is settled.

Does that mean nothing is going on at EoN HQ? Not at all. I think the top heads are very busy mobilizing and preparing for after the end of the strike (when the head honchos will now be given the nod (from their bosses (who are busy working with lawyers to end this strike), to start green-lighting, developing and spending money again).

Remember that EoN doesn't finance the Bond pictures, they produce them. Which means they need their financiers to start funding the development of B26.

EoN can't start hiring anyone until this happens.

My gut feeling is than EON has at the very least a general idea of where to take things next, perhaps some potential choices in mind as well if nothing concrete. I seriously doubt they haven’t thought of these things at all in the 2 years since NTTD premiered.
    Eon has countless ideas on where to take Bond next. Endless ideas and suggestions on who should direct Bond, who should play Bond etc.
    It's just a matter of making a concrete decision. Bond himself makes choices incredibly fast: look how he barely glances at the menu and decides upon grilled soul for himself and madame in FRWL.
    If only deciding upon the fate of the franchise's future were that simple.
    BMB007 wrote: »
    Barbara Broccoli is in this thread. Every time she sees someone whine, she takes on another project that's not B26 just to bother the whiners.

If Barbara is on here, then I pity her having to figure out where Bond goes next after reading this thread for the past year.

If Barbara is on here, then I pity her having to figure out where Bond goes next after reading this thread for the past year.

That’s why she is indecisive, she can’t make heads or tails of what fans want because none of us can agree on what we want. Maybe the placement of he gun barrel, but even that can get contentious!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

That’s why she is indecisive, she can’t make heads or tails of what fans want because none of us can agree on what we want. Maybe the placement of he gun barrel, but even that can get contentious!

Plus, every time someone catches a cold or runs out of bread, they insist that she be fired. One would start fearing one's fans for much less.
    BB doesn't have to make heads or tails of anything. Bond fans want a new Bond film. Some will like it, others won't. If she's not up to it, let someone else do the job.
    I was kidding.

I don’t think she cares that much about trying to appease fans, and I am glad if that’s the case. She should make the films that she wants and WHEN she wants, regardless of fans demanding her to speed things up.
    Not sure if this even posted yet, but it's very cool

• NoTimeToLiveNoTimeToLive Jamaica

+1
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

Since when did EON exist solely to churn out nothing but Bond films?