Would you rather spend time in Venice with Tatiana (FRWL) OR Vesper (CR 06)

Comments

• Moore for humour, Brosnan for cool suave. A bit of both for occasional flashes of ruthlessness.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I believe Brosnan has two excellent films, one middling film and one bad film.

whereas Moore has 3 excellent films, 2 good films, one middling film and one bad film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The question is about their non-Bond films.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Ahhhh, then easy, Brosnan, The Thomas Crown Affair
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Nice job here with balancing off their non-Bond films. I think the Pierce versus Roger was a bit closer than our previous non-Bond off. I have probably viewed more Pierce films than Roger films so that tips the scales towards Brosnan for me. I especially enjoyed After the Sunset and I enjoyed Mamma Mia!

Okay our next would you rather comes to us from @GoldenGun and I appreciate the help as sometimes the Dove's brain fries trying to think of some would you rather questions. I was intrigued by their suggestion.

Would you rather watch a double bill of CR67 & NSNA OR a double bill of TWINE & DAD?

Two unofficial entries against some modern Bond.

We have the wacky CR67 with multiple Bonds. The great Peter Sellers, David Niven, Orson Welles and Woody Allen paired with Sean coming back to the role after 12 years. The tone of the un-official movies might be a bit jarring given their attempts to do something different with the character and the material.

We have TWINE an attempt by EON to humanize things after TND. Bond gets injured though not too much is made of that fact, Bond falls in love? At least lets his guard down with Ms. King. DAD was a balls to the walls Bond adventure. Designed to celebrate 40 years of Bond. It's an excessive movie with some early CGI and an Oscar winner as the Bond leading lady.

Which two movies would you rather watch?
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited October 2023 Posts: 2,932
    Bizarrely, I find myself instinctively going for TWINE and DAD! I'm not sure why, as one of the others is a Connery film and it took many years before I could watch the second half of DAD without metaphorically biting my fist. Maybe it's Sophie Marceau, I dunno! In setting this question, thedove has been revealed as an evil supervillain who laughs while we squirm! ;)
  • Brosnan for me. TWINE isn’t great (though admittedly I do have a soft spot for it) and DAD can be outright terribly, but that’s never on Brosnan. He makes those films enjoyable for me despite the flaws in each movie.

CR67 and NSNA on the other hand? Well I like David Niven and that’s about it.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    I've not watched CR67 or NSNA and I don't intend to start now (maybe later, I don't know why this is the hangup I have with Bond when I watched and enjoyed the madness of the CR musical but that's how my brain works).

Besides, it's like pizza even a bad Bond movie is still a Bond movie. And I don't even hate TWINE, the forgettable plot drags everything down but it's watchable. I have a nostalgic love of DAD but even so the third act is rough. Treating it as an experiment in watching an early-2000's Moonraker adaptation has made it bearable on recent viewings though.
    CR'67 and NSNA for me. Crazy as it is, and all over the place. I still am entertainined by CR, and it has a fabulous score.
    NSNA I have grown to like a lot more over time, and Connery is great as always
    Brossas 2, well entertained I am not, one is a bore and the other is Worst Bond movie ever!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    CR'67 and NSNA for me. Crazy as it is, and all over the place. I still am entertainined by CR, and it has a fabulous score.
    Brossas 2, well entertained I am not, one is a bore and the other is Worst Bond movie ever!

I'm with you. I love CR '67 score and it does make me laugh. NSNA has always been a film I've enjoyed, mainly for the great cast and Connery, who is on fine form, plus some witty dialogue and exchanges.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    This is absurd really 😅

I didn't liked CR '67 and it's the film I wished was made differently, or better not to be in existence, just ridiculous all around and didn't makes sense, it's even more weirder than what The Beatles did in their Magical Mystery Tour Film!

NSNA, on the other hand, I'm kinda fond of it, I liked some of the plot points which was changed from the original 1965 film (to which was a bore, anyway), because it lessened the underwater scenes and added more action, and the performances of the cast were good, and Connery's performance are much better in here than his previous three performances (TB, YOLT and DAF), I've felt that he's really on the game.

When it comes to Brosnan, I think I better watch DAD for more faster pacing (TWINE was a bit slow watch for me, nowadays), so, I'd rather have DAD to watch, more action and just mindless fun, I liked some dramatic parts in TWINE but it's not executed well as a film, too slow, it's like a FYEO 2.0 with a better cinematography as a difference, not memorable and then, and I'd rather take Jinx over Christmas Jones any day.

Well, hard, for me, it would be a fair fight, give me NSNA and DAD, although to stick to what the game is asking, okay, I'd rather grab the Brosnan duo, because I could still watch TWINE over CR '67, and it's miles better as a film.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    TWINE and DAD, not even a contest.
    And I rank TWINE as one of the worst films of the series!
    CR'67 is a guilty pleasure, if only for it's absurdity and quirkiness that makes DAF look like a sharp thriller.
    TWINE and DAD.

NSNA is a fun watch, I've never seen CR 67 nor do I have any plans to.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    CR67' & NSNA - Sellers, Welles and Brandauer vs. Brosnan, Marceau and Stephens? Easy choice.
    TWINE and DAD. But preferably under the influence of much alcohol.
    Not great options, but I still have to take TWINE and DAD. Though they’re both bottom-tier Bond films for me, they’ve got several individual elements and scenes I enjoy at least, while CR67 and NSNA I’m happy to be without in general. I wouldn’t go as far as to fall them horrible, but let’s just say they feel non-canon as they are.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited October 2023 Posts: 4,398
    CR67 is unwatchable for me. I tried it twice but gave up both times. I have never seen the last third of it and I'm glad that I never have to go to this weird film.
    I also prefer every EON movie over NSNA...but I'm a fan of Barbara Carrera.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    CR67/NSNA... I love Sellers and Welles and Huston and Niven, and with an appropriate psychotropic cocktail, their film is great fun (which can't be said for TWINE and DAD (no matter what cocktail I have at hand))... Connery and Brandaeur and Carrera are better hero and foils than anyone in the Brozz films, so...
    peter wrote: »
    CR67/NSNA... I love Sellers and Welles and Huston and Niven, and with an appropriate psychotropic cocktail, their film is great fun (which can't be said for TWINE and DAD (no matter what cocktail I have at hand))... Connery and Brandaeur and Carrera are better hero and foils than anyone in the Brozz films, so...

But not up to the standard of Bro-feld and Safin, right? 8-|
  • peterpeter Toronto
    That makes no sense @Mendes4Lyfe , or am I missing something?

You realize I can enjoy more than one Bond film, and different tones too, right? Or is that too nuanced for a binary thinker?

+1
  • TWINE and DAD because they're official entries in the franchise. TWINE for me is Brosnan's finest hour as 007 and while the other is an arguable mess it does have one or two redeeming features.

NSNA is fun, Connery really makes it his own and there's so much going on and to get involved in. Not only that it has Barbara Carrera in it, so what's not to like. Never been a fan of CR67, it's NOT James Bond and so far detached from what Fleming intended it's best avoided or not worth the watch. It's a spoof, and a poor one at that.
  • 007HallY wrote: »

You could probably create a few good drinking games off DAD alone. Take a shot for every contrived Easter egg/reference that appears in the film. Take a shot for every hammy delivery from Toby Stephens. Take a shot for every frame of sped up footage. The list is endless!
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    A double bill of CR67 & NSNA, please.
    CR 67 & NSNA? Not seeing how this is a comparison. So I can't weigh in on this question.
    007HallY wrote: »

You could probably create a few good drinking games off DAD alone. Take a shot for every contrived Easter egg/reference that appears in the film. Take a shot for every hammy delivery from Toby Stephens. Take a shot for every frame of sped up footage. The list is endless!

Take a shot every time Brosnan makes his pain face perhaps.
  • NoTimeToLiveNoTimeToLive Jamaica
    TWINE & DAD anytime.

CR67 is just unwatchable for me and NSNA is decent but has a dreadful score and the budget makes it look like a TV movie.

TWINE and DAD have many issues, but are at least enjoyable.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Only one of these two men was in Cannonball Run, and that man is the clear winner.

"Roger Moore."
    "Who?"
    "ROGER MOORE."
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited November 2023 Posts: 5,980
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Agreed. CR'67...that score!

NSNA...uhh...Connery in shorts!

Still amazed by how much NTTD "borrowed" (consciously or not) from CR'67.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2023 Posts: 2,932
    echo wrote: »
    Still amazed by how much NTTD "borrowed" (consciously or not) from CR'67.
    Yes - so much so, I've sometimes wondered if some of the writers included stuff partly as an in-joke to see how much they could get away with before someone twigged.
    In CR'67, Bond retires after an unhappy relationship and goes off to live somewhere idyllic. His '007' number is assigned to another agent. Bond's asked to return to work - he’s reluctant but then agrees. The villains make a failed attempt to kill him in his car. There's doubts about the loyalty of the female lead. She has a daughter with Bond that he's never seen. They meet up and rekindle their love. The main villain is killed and replaced by a younger villain with a plan to kill large parts of the world's population. He kidnaps Bond’s daughter, forcing Bond to track him to his base. The villain's lair explodes and Bond is killed, though the world is saved. Yep - NTTD is virtually a remake of CR'67, man!