Would you rather have a video game based on LALD OR TSWLM?

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Not even a contest for me.
    DN & FRWL, my two favourite Bond movies.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Benny wrote: »
    Not even a contest for me.
    DN & FRWL, my two favourite Bond movies.
    Spoken like a true connoiseeur.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    DN/FRWL in a heartbeat, but I will say SP/NTTD is quite elevated if you cut from the head drilling part straight to the pre-titles in NTTD. Avoid that last act of SP at all costs.

They should have ended SP with the world largest explosion. To me the Britain stuff was a bit of a drag.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    edited October 2023 Posts: 534
    thedove wrote: »
    DN/FRWL in a heartbeat, but I will say SP/NTTD is quite elevated if you cut from the head drilling part straight to the pre-titles in NTTD. Avoid that last act of SP at all costs.

They should have ended SP with the world largest explosion. To me the Britain stuff was a bit of a drag.

I don't hate ending the film in London in theory, but I am more sympathetic to the Scooby Squad than most. Battling in the ruin of MI6 sounds like a great idea on the page and Bond choosing between love and duty, throwing the PPK into the Thames on Westminster Bridge is a decently cinematic idea. It just doesn't come together, it breaks the film and it makes Madeleine a damsel in distress (which may have been soften by her fighting off Irma Bunt but we'll never know) and I haven't even mentioned Blofeld and C's cockamamie plans.

It's easily the worst third act of a Bond film. Spectre's many, many problems are well-documented but if Dan hadn't broken his leg then maybe the base destruction might've had a bit more vibrancy... oh what could've been 😩
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited October 2023 Posts: 2,928
    Depends if we can rig the double bill so that I can I watch SP up until Bond loses consciousness in the crater base, then watch all of NTTD and then re-start watching SP from where Bond regains consciousness in Blofeld's torture chair, so that NTTD never really happened and was all in his head.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    SP and NTTD.

I've seen them SO MANY LESS times than classics DN and FRWL. And they're a joy to experience. To me the longer run times are also a plus, more to enjoy, no reservations.

• SP and NTTD are too long. I rather watch DN/FRWL twice.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Would you rather watch a double bill of DN or FRWL OR SP and NTTD?

Definitely DN/FRWL and it's not even close. The only 2 Bond films that Ian Fleming actually saw.
    OHMSS and FYEO. I really dislike QOS unfortunately.

Ditto. I don't love FYEO as much as most of fandom appears to but I find it infinitely superior to QOS. (My ideal double feature option from these 4 films would be OHMSS/CR.)
    Great point @Jordo007 great way to set your tone for the new fella!

Okay lets move on to another thought that popped into my head, double bills! We used to have double bills at the theatres when I was a young one. I recall seeing a double bill of Dirty Dancing and The Princess Bride. But I digress.

Often the producers would trot out a double bill to refresh the audience and to re-release films. Remember in the days of the 60's and some of the 70's home viewing was limited to a showing on TV.

My dad took me to this one:

I love and adore FYEO personally. Moore’s more understated performance in the film is one of my favorites, plus it merges elements from two of my favorite Bond films (FRWL and OHMSS) nicely imo. In fact, I sometimes think of FRWL/OHMSS/FYEO as sort of an “unofficial” trilogy.

Something to ponder: FYEO is supposed to be Moore's FRWL/OHMSS-type entry yet he kills off FRWL/OHMSS's primary villain in the PTS?
    That is one cool double bill @PrinceKamalKhan lots of bang for your buck there.

Indeed it was @thedove It made for quite a happy father/son memory for both my dad and myself.

I wish I could see this double feature as well since they were kind of the Connery era's MB and TSWLM:

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    As I missed the previous round, that was an easy CR/QoS, this is perhaps even more easy going to DN/FRWL. NTTD is a good film, no doubt, but also a bit pompous and tbh the plot sort of destroys SP in hindsight. And SP on it's own has a terrible unhinged third act.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I rather like these double bills, lets pair off Roger Moore for our next one.

Would you rather watch a double bill of TSWLM and MR OR FYEO and OP?

There really isn't continuity in either film to speak of. All are stand alone adventures and some are rated quite highly on most peoples rankings.

In Spy we have Moore finally hitting his stride and getting a script that plays to his strengths. MR goes balls to the wall and takes us to where no Bond has gone before or since. I guess the continuity comes from having Jaws in both films.

In Eyes we have a different side of Moore, it works for some, for others it leaves them wanting. In OP I dare say we have a blend of serious and outlandish in the same movie. Who doesn't love Berkoff chewing up the scenery and great chemistry between Moore and Adams.

Which two are you watching?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Bit of a coin toss for me as they're all great.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited October 2023 Posts: 3,391
    This is hard (because with the exception of MR, I'm not really a fan of the other three):

I liked MR the most in the Moore Era, I liked that there are some scenes here that highlighted Moore Bond's vulnerability (the Centrifuge scene and the Rio/Brazil scenes), and Moore's performance here was more natural than ever, he's comfortable with facial expressions and more reactive to his surroundings, the Bond Girl proved to be his equal with being capable, independent and intelligent, the villain was interesting and had fleshed out personality, everything about the filmmaking like the cinematography, the score, the set pieces, locations, they're all great, my only gripe with it was the space thing or the plot in general.

But it's partnered with TSWLM, to which I'm not a fan of, because of the characters and their acting, I've felt that most of the cast in this film were all stiff and wooden, to say the least, yes even Moore himself (even though this is where he cemented his Bond), their performances never felt natural, they don't have much facial expressions and reactions, giving one note performances and pretty monotone performances, the line deliveries felt forced and phoned in (Moore delivering some funny lines fell flat, for example), then the characters were purely one dimensional, they hardly do anything, especially the villain and the Bond Girl, the former was a poor imitation of Blofeld doing nothing, uninteresting, lacking any personality, and had been effortlessly killed by Bond, while the latter, while given an interesting premise had ended up doing nothing too, and mostly a damsel in distress and pretty incompetent, and I hardly believe that Bond was in great danger in this film, for me, this is probably one of the most effortless missions for Bond, the plot was intriguing though, but a rehash of YOLT, and done better in TND.

FYEO and OP both suffered from tonal inconsistencies, especially the former, it's meant to be a grounded Moore Bond Era outing, but it's sprinkled with some unnecessary, out of place gags here and there (Margaret Thatcher, talking parrot, the PTS, and that giant underwater mascot, and there's Bibi Dahl), the score also didn't helped that it never elevated such a tense scenes (the score in the Spanish Car Chase in the beginning felt misfit), and Moore's performance felt foreign in FYEO, it's unusual and felt un-moored from his past performances, just felt an odd one out, just weird to see him in FYEO, where the film was obviously written with a new Bond actor in mind (Dalton in particular), and yes with the PTS being the worst part (visiting Tracy's grave after many years and films have passed? And there's the weird Bond throwing Blofeld off the smokestack), And the uncomfortable shoehorned romance at the end between Bond and Melina? Quite uncomfortable, and you also have a very low key production with a cinematography that's almost a drop from the previous Bond films, it almost felt like a made for TV movie, very low key that it's not memorable compared to other Bond Films.

OP, on the other hand, almost didn't felt like a Bond film, more childish with too much slapstick humors, too colorful with clowns and circus, and with a convoluted plot that's somehow got lost in the third act, racial stereotypes of Indians that didn't aged well, Bond in jungle, Bond interacting with animals, the characters doing unbelievable things like they're not humans (more worse than the Supernatural/voodoo concept in LALD), but in the other end of the line, there's Octopussy and Bond's great pairing, although Octopussy's purpose in the storyline also got lost later in the film, this is Moore at his Most Moore Bond.

It's hard, but I'd go with FYEO/OP but even just a margin, as much as I liked MR.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 2,901
    Ooh, difficult…. If anything I think TSWLM and OP would make a great double bill as while their contrasts stand out from one another, both have good mixtures of lightheartedness and ‘heart’, especially when it comes to Bond as a character. MR and TSWLM feel a bit too similar in terms of plot, and I don’t think MR has TSWLM’s warmth.

That said I really can’t sit through FYEO. I really don’t like it as a Bond film. Much as I love OP it’s got to be TSWLM and MR.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited October 2023 Posts: 2,020
    Neither is a particularly outstanding Bond film, but TSWLM & MR both greatly benefit from a still youthful-looking Moore, great stunts and beautiful cinematography. Also considerable advantage in the music department.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Both sound like a lovely Sunday afternoon, but will need to go with TSWLM and MR.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'd have to go with FYEO & OP.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Both sound like a lovely Sunday afternoon, but will need to go with TSWLM and MR.

Yup, either are perfect Sunday afternoon fare.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    FYEO/OP are peak Moore in my opinion. Another easy choice!
  • Spy and Moonraker for sure. OP contains 3 of the worst Bond moments ever ie tarzan yell, Bond telling tiger to“ sit” and clownsuit debacle
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Clownsuit Debacle - there's a title...
    Tough one, as All are very watchable and entertaining as Bond movies! Toss of a coin, I'll go with FYEO/OP!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    TSWLM MR… FYEO is my favourite Moore but I’m very not into OP.
  • Darn it @thedove, why must you insist on posing such tough questions???

I’ll probably have to go with TSWLM and MR. They’re a bit more tonally consistent with one another as opposed to FYEO/OP, making for a nice double bill!
    Finally an easy one 😄 I'm a bit more down on TSWLM than the general consensus but I really enjoyed MR when I watched it, whereas I can definitely take or leave FYEO and OP.
    That’s a difficult one. I much prefer TSWLM and FYEO over MR and OP. I guess I’ll just go with my current mood and say TSWLM and MR.
    Finally an easy one 😄 I'm a bit more down on TSWLM than the general consensus but I really enjoyed MR when I watched it, whereas I can definitely take or leave FYEO and OP.

We're the same.....

SIS_HQ wrote: »

We're the same.....

You're obviously a woman of taste and refinement :D
    SIS_HQ wrote: »

We're the same.....

You're obviously a woman of taste and refinement :D

Yes, I do..... ;)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    A tough one. TSWLM and MR cry out to be seen on the big screen (although I am one of the few who is not a big fan of Barry's score).

FYEO felt slow to me the last time I saw in a theater, but I always have a rollicking time with OP. To me OP has the best story of the four.

So I vote for FYEO/OP.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    This is a tough one for me as well. Today, I’ll go with FYEO/OP over TSWLM/MR

Over the years, I’ve come to like TSWLM a little less (although it is still in my top 10), and I’ve come to appreciate MR a bit more. This probably comes down to my shifting opinion of the two Bond “girls” in the respective films: Barbara Bach and Lois Chiles.

On, the other hand, I’ve really come to like FYEO – and it is rapidly becoming my favorite Moore era film. OP – while flawed – is still a lot of fun.