Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

• edited September 2023 Posts: 6,821
    R.I P. Impressionist Mike Yarwood.
    Surprised no one picked it up here. He was huge in the Seventies, his shows were very popular. Last time I saw him he was on 'Have I got news for you!'
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    R.I P. Impressionist Mike Yarwood.
    Surprised no one picked it up here. He was huge in the Seventies, his shows were very popular. Last time I saw him he was on 'Have I got news for you!'

I didn't know he had passed away. RIP

Doing a spot on impression of Harold Wilson, doing a spot on impression of Max Miller, takes skill.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    RIP Mike Yarwood.
    Very talented impressionist, and comedian.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Yarwood was a talent it seems an age since I saw him do anything on TV, R.I.P.
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 5,815
    I've just learned that american actress Gayle Hunnicutt passed away, aged 80, on august 31st in her home in London.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/gayle-hunnicutt-dead-dallas-1235714482/

Let's hope her picture never leaves 221B Baker Street (those who have been there will understand).

Granada-scandal-in-bohemia-S1E01.jpg
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Harry Saltzman inadvertently created the greatest ever Bondgirl name when he got Gayle's surname wrong at her audition for LALD...
    Gerard wrote: »
    I've just learned that american actress Gayle Hunnicutt passed away, aged 80, on august 31st in her home in London.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/gayle-hunnicutt-dead-dallas-1235714482/

Let's hope her picture never leaves 221B Baker Street (those who have been there will understand).

Granada-scandal-in-bohemia-S1E01.jpg

Great episode, from a great series.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    How do you think of Gayle Hannicut as Solitaire?
    I think she'd've been really good, tbh. It's just that Jane Seymour was (for me) such perfect casting, I can't unsee her.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    MV5BYmNiZTMzN2EtMmI5NC00YjQ0LTgzMDgtNTJkODk0ZDRiODg5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjc3MTQzOTk@._V1_.jpg
    R.I.P. Gayle Hunnicutt I remember Gayle from a lot of genre TV from the 70's and 80's.
    Seeing as Gayle auditioned for LALD and Ogilvy was Sir Rog's successor as The Saint, that photo's almost an alternative universe Bond and Solitaire! ;)
    R.I.P. Roger Whitaker
    I only just heard on the radio this morning. Always enjoyed a lot of his songs like 'Durham Town' , and the 'Mexican Whistler' always put a smile on my face!
    For me, I discovered Ms. Hunnicut, Lady Jenkins, with a trailer for a Fantômas-inspired movie called Nuits Rouges (and she really rocked that bodysuit) with Gert Fröbe, for once in a good guy role. The movie was later extended into a six parts mini-series shown on french TV, called L'Homme sans Visage. And it was certainly that movie/TV series that landed her the part of Lady Beltham in a TV adaptation of Fantômas with Helmut Berger later on. Of course, later on, I saw her in Marlowe, but that wqs because at the time, I was a big fan of Bruce Lee.

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    A bit more on the passing of actress Linda Haynes in July at the age of 75.
    linda-haynes-1.jpg?fit=990%2C557&ssl=1

https://variety.com/2023/film/people-news/linda-haynes-dead-rolling-thunder-1235694448/

In addition to her notable roles in Coffey (1973), Rolling Thunder (1977) and Brubaker (1980), her first film role was actually in a TOHO produced sci-fi movie called LATITUDE ZERO in 1969. In this interview, she recounts how she got the role and her experiences working in Japan. (Note: this 2007 interview has conducted by Brett Homenick, who writes for G-Fan magazine).

https://vantagepointinterviews.com/2016/05/27/revisiting-latitude-zero-actress-linda-haynes-recounts-her-toho-experience/
    (Yes, that is Joseph Cotton)
    linda_haynes_lz4smaller2.jpg

Finally, in a 2013 interview with Jeff Cramer, Ms. Haynes talks about her career and why she left the industry.
    http://jeffcramer.blogspot.com/2013/10/a-very-candid-conversation-with-linda.html

RIP Ms. Haynes
    Linda-Haynes-27671-348+%25281%2529.jpg

Edit: I just came across this zoom call interview that she conducted in Nov 2021 with Steve Ryfle and Ed Godziszewski.
    OH NO....
    https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/david-mccallum-dead-ncis-man-from-uncle-1235734772/

David McCallum, who starred as Illya Kuryakin alongside Robert Vaughn’s Napoleon Solo in the 1960s hit spy drama “The Man From U.N.C.L.E.” and had a supporting role as pathologist Dr. Donald “Ducky” Mallard on the top-rated series “NCIS” decades later, died Monday of natural causes in New York City. He was 90.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    That's sad news about the passing of David McCallum.
    RIP
    j4f9vjtnj18b.jpg
    DAMN. RIP David McCallum.
    'Damn' is right. I just rewatched the first episode of the Sapphire and Steel haunted railway station story last night too.
    Not the kind of news you like to wake up to. David McCallum is one of those actors who've been with me all my life, from The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (shuldn't it have been "The Men" ?) to NCIS, from The Invisible Man to Colditz (no Sapphire and Steel on french TV, alas), and let's not forget The Great Escape. He'll be missed.
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 3,564
    Peter Scott Graham was quoted as saying, "The Golden Age of Science Fiction was when you were twelve." (Other sources state the age as thirteen, but the point is the same whichever number you prefer.) Personally, I think the Golden Age of Everything is at that age... and for me, that puts the Golden Age in 1967. The best comic books, the best music, and yes, even the best James Bond movies.

Another Golden Ager has just passed ...and it's feeling like we're losing a lot of the greats this year! In 1967 I was in junior high school, and one of the most popular musical acts at that time was The Association. Terry Kirkman, one of the founding members of that band, died on Saturday September 23rd. He wrote this song, one of The Association's biggest hits:

Terry didn't write this one (Don and Dick Adrisi did) but he sang it... and it's one of my favorites. I think some of you may like it too:

Rest in Peace, Terry. Your music will unquestionably outlive you...

PS: I hadn't expected to put this one up but I just discovered it! If you'd like to learn more about the various members of The Association here they are on the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. Yes, they'll be playing some music too... but the dialogue with Mrs. Smothers' favorite sons is pretty funny!

• edited September 2023 Posts: 6,821
    So sad
    R.I.P. David McCallum
    Remember fondly all those shows @Gerard mentions, 'Sapphire and Steel', 'The Invisible Man', and of course 'The Man from Uncle' . Great Telly!
    And who can forget that classic scene in 'The Great Escape' when his character 'Dispersal' sacrifices himself to save 'Big X'!
    Also, remember his take on the character Alan Breck Stewart for the tv series of Robert Louis Stevensons 'Kidnapped'
    edited September 2023 Posts: 2,932
    Wasn't there some in-joke in NCIS that McCallum's character had looked like Illya Kuryakin when he was younger?
    R.I.P. David McCallum I will dig out my U.N.C.L.E. boxsets and watch some episodes in tribute.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Sad to hear of the death of David McCallum on the TV Breakfast News this morning. He was great in The Man From UNCLE. I remember enjoying the show as part of my interest in Bond and classic 1960s spy shows more generally when they were repeated on TV in the mid-1990s. I remember hearing that David McCallum actually got more fan mail than his co-star Robert Vaughan which was surprising as Napoleon Solo was meant to be the main hero of the series as opposed to Illya Kuryakin. The general public can sometimes tell you otherwise! At least he had a good full life and made it to 90.
  • I never understood McCallum’s appeal on UNCLE and his becoming a sex symbol. As far as his acting he was very wooden on that show (he was fine as Ducky on NCIS) and in the looks department Vaughn had him beat dead to right. Yet he became an overnight sensation. Really mind boggling to me. Vaughn was the suave super spy with the looks, quips, bravado, and charm. Basically a Bond for the small screen. In contrast McCallum was the dour looking man of few words and zero emotion and a haircut that didn’t do him any favors. Yet the girls went crazy for it. Go figure…
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I don't remember really watching an episode of The Man from U.N.C.L.E, and it must have been more than fifty years ago. I do remember that the show was called Solo für O.N.K.E.L, named for Robert Vaughn's role of Napoleon Solo, and was of course dubbed in German. "Onkel" is the German word for "uncle", and I'm sure they invented a term that justified this as an abbreviation, or rather acronym. But until the movie remake came out (which I think I remember as entertaining, but not much else), I've never seen or heard anything that came from it. Same as e.g. I Spy (from about the same period, known in Germany as Tennisschläger und Kanonen (Tennis Rackets and Guns). The first I ever encountered Robert Culp (I only saw Dr. No in the Seventies) and Bill Cosby.
    Thanks for the heads-up @BeatlesSansEarmuffs as I had not heard the news. An eloquent writeup as usual.

While I’m a touch younger than you, I remember hearing The Association – as a six-year-old - on the small transistor radio that my mother kept in the kitchen. In those days they were seemingly as large number of “vocal” groups (The Fifth Dimension, The Vogues, etc..) but few had the layered sound of the Association (IMO, of course).

A nice OBIT from the New York Times:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/26/arts/music/terry-kirkman-dead.html

A few of my personal favorites: “Requiem for The Masses” (which Mr. Kirkman wrote) and “Like Always” (which I’ve played *a-lot* over the past five years or so since it reminds me of much of that period).

RIP Mr. Kirkman (and thanks).
  • Dwayne wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads-up @BeatlesSansEarmuffs as I had not heard the news. An eloquent writeup as usual.

While I’m a touch younger than you, I remember hearing The Association – as a six-year-old - on the small transistor radio that my mother kept in the kitchen. In those days they were seemingly as large number of “vocal” groups (The Fifth Dimension, The Vogues, etc..) but few had the layered sound of the Association (IMO, of course).

A nice OBIT from the New York Times:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/26/arts/music/terry-kirkman-dead.html

A few of my personal favorites: “Requiem for The Masses” (which Mr. Kirkman wrote) and “Like Always” (which I’ve played *a-lot* over the past five years or so since it reminds me of much of that period).

RIP Mr. Kirkman (and thanks).

Thanks for the kind words, Dwayne.

Back in the day I wasn't buying an awful lot of record albums (aside from Beatles albums, of course) so I'm not really sure how I'd heard "Requiem" before but I'm sure I did. It wasn't the sort of release to get much radio play, though! And "Like Always" is a new one to me, so thanks for posting it!

And of course, RIP to David McCallum and Brooks Robinson as well. It's not surprising that lots of folks from this forum have fond memories of McCallum... but Brooks R was one of the all-time great baseball players and I hadn't heard of his passing yet. I guess we all could use to get out of our own self-imposed bubbles from time to time...
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I think the only song I remember from The Association from what were really still my childhood days was Never My Love...though I never "associated" (pun intended) that with The Association. It simply came out before I listened a lot to American pop music. I was ten for most of 1967 and of course didn't understand any lyrics anyway.

Can't fail to repeat in spite of all this, the first single (7") record I really wanted to have and also got was, in 1965, The Beatles' Yesterday. Not understanding the lyrics there either at the time.