Behind the scenes Bond - various

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Is it just me or does Roger have the most photographs as Bond without the PPK?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    n7dnkbe264pl.jpg
    sgj5knz01kw8.jpg
    y8ddsfvimyir.jpg
    5zb4pvo3oki8.jpg
    jhtshc0kcdvc.jpg
    7ws1dlbzv30m.jpg
    8jr5b3gg5f6z.jpg
    7muw1m3v26j5.jpg
    a1p2r54y2qht.jpg
    cae764lkf9dq.jpg
    p6jxy6pufwh4.jpg
    fotogmfapjlg.jpg
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    One day you wake up and you're traveling around the world in the company of gorgeous actresses while playing James Bond. Those pictures make me incredibly jealous of Roger.
    5me5y53riw95.jpg
    8zi9l83ygc5h.jpg
    l5bf4me78x0t.jpg
    lc0wcz5amdn7.jpg
    j88s1blfqyar.jpg
    qd8sqn5mk581.jpg
    o4utv0y12uo1.jpg
    wxpbp4f1h9qw.jpg
    mpmd65qgskft.jpg
    dw94un8vr4n8.jpg
    idl7tr3c7e6l.jpg
    kl6vdjynjzdh.jpg
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    Nice to see Roger getting on with Drax's Aryan space babes.
    Nice to see Roger getting on with Drax's Aryan space babes.

Can't say I blame him. ;)
    That Ken Adam Drax Brazilin set is amazing. Too bad it gets so little screen time. I know the deal was to send Bond to space but a storming of the earth jungle domain of Drax would have been interesting.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2023 Posts: 15,075
    thedove wrote: »
    That Ken Adam Drax Brazilin set is amazing. Too bad it gets so little screen time. I know the deal was to send Bond to space but a storming of the earth jungle domain of Drax would have been interesting.

Where Roger has the snake fight? Yeah, MR was on telly a few weeks ago and I was kind of trying to drink that set in with my eyes in the few seconds it's on screen! It is stunning.
    Sir Ken's last Bond of course, he went out in pretty amazing style.

2506.jpg?width=620&dpr=2&s=none
    thedove wrote: »

Agreed. What little we see of that base makes me dream of all the details we don't see. Every chamber brings us something new. There's a timeless, adventurous, almost mythical flavour running through his designs of the base. Everything looks "spacy", and far more otherworldly than the Moonraker factory in California. It bothers me that those sets were built only to be broken down again. I wouldn't mind living in such a design. 😉
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    When it comes to MR, I seem to be fixated on one particular person. :x

31b808_c05102aa27ab420ca356cd2c17ccc3a8~mv2.jpg
    (from Thunderballs.org)
    648full-emily-bolton.jpg
    (PR Still? )
    0ct5wnofpnpj.jpg
    vy8zdrx5jgwd.jpg
    w2qjkwgq2stz.jpg
    pl347m9ki3sl.jpg
    mq04bxja3quc.jpg
    6kdqqq9vrvgq.jpg
    gxk7nvf9o6oj.jpg
    59vx0tdiwgbo.jpg
    t1wa7ozs07xp.jpg
    bsqtlmqqmmhc.jpg
    j4acmtqt8991.jpg
    kelq0jdqxgmq.jpg
    Time to post the last photos for Moonraker, before we move on to For Your Eyes Only tomorrow.

w4rl7waom2hb.jpg
    bzbg71c2jw37.jpg
    eooxebjlp7fs.jpg
    s78t0mzud0yd.jpg
    sfova1s3sovm.jpg
    q8cehcjxzcb2.jpg
    ecsb7qfte87q.jpg
    d4do4wa9i6kw.jpg
    pagfgwvlluyh.jpg
    y0rxkqkvdxah.jpg
    yhczog4ipa1k.jpg
    scdy4hru9ayj.jpg
    t9jhax9wm55h.jpg
    ah1acls0w57f.jpg
    d667074qiu4z.jpg
    9gu10sr2qq14.jpg
    ks2vbcw8z7sq.jpg
    hnnrcmbtuuja.jpg
    lcukvouca4pc.jpg
    2qkuwqmzrd4y.jpg
    55qgmfflv6f1.jpeg
    yjhv3c3sgakd.jpg
    05rv6hbugbno.jpg
    vt82e819t3qp.jpg
    pirip0lgfsd9.jpg

e3ieck69a3fe.jpg
    We move on to the twelfth EON James Bond film, and Roger Moore's fifth outing.

For Your Eyes Only

aq9uklumeyll.jpg

sbz5smhxlp5v.jpg
    9cc6r7h24efg.jpg
    tfu6iees7riv.jpg
    kdki1lvhqrw7.jpg
    87fl1tmucoaj.jpg
    tkfhnqyb5pw3.jpg
    gzygqgzbzj22.jpg
    pof7zoruy1td.jpg
    q33qe4v0wqdp.jpg
    kd5aifgmsgvl.jpg

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Special effects in FYEO, here the pre-titles sequence:

3ea9de07e8412fd8bb63ac43feaeb2f0--gas-work-for-your-eyes-only.jpg

For-Your-Eyes-Only-Meddings-Chopper-2.jpg

For-Your-Eyes-Only-Meddings-Chopper_6c0c164bd2b597ee32b68b8b5755bd2e.jpg

And here, the boat and sub-models, including cute figurines. Isn't that movie magic? I thought the underwater scenes were full-scale subs and divers.

StGeorgeLiftingCradle.jpg

StGeorgePinewoodTank.jpg

UnderwaterMiniatures.jpg

fyeo%2B%25284%2529.jpg

fyeo%2B%25285%2529.jpg

MiniatureDivers.jpg
    Submersible.jpg

Wonderful shots @zebrafish
    The model work is seamless in many if not all of the scenes in this film.
    rrijba27ju2e.jpg
    rlg7b2lm6rue.jpg
    7gbyxu87gk8o.jpg
    l5yt82qklpuv.jpg
    hauc3n14zx85.jpg
    jtbnkxblpoi8.jpg
    sjvbhkeyhcri.jpg
    vk1f1yg3ds17.jpg
    Roger just keeps smiling. 😄
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    No birds huh. The avian kind I mean.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Say what you want about the PTS, but that helicopter was awesome. That beginning was my introduction to Bond.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Say what you want about the PTS, but that helicopter was awesome. That beginning was my introduction to Bond.

The 'plot' of the PTS is ridiculous -- it's a lot of fun, but it's ridiculous -- and tonally so very much unlike the rest of the film that the sinking of the St. Georges almost causes a whiplash. And yet, I'm always looking forward to this little PTS, I really do. The helicopter action is my second favorite action scene in the entire film. (The first is, of course, the ski chase. You simply can't beat that.)
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 3,017
    Really not my favourite Bond film, but it is one which has some interesting behind the scenes info on it. I didn't know until recently, for instance, that some of the underwater scenes with Bond and Melina were not actually shot underwater but had to be recreated using camera and special effect techniques.

If anyone's interested there's a great American Society of Cinematography article where Alan Hume talks about the production here: https://theasc.com/articles/for-your-eyes-only-007 Some great behind the scenes photos in it.
    Any BTS of Tula? Bond was ahead of his time for this film. Also great model work in this film. Meddings and his team delivered great work two films in a row!
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    QBranch wrote: »

The 'plot' of the PTS is ridiculous -- it's a lot of fun, but it's ridiculous -- and tonally so very much unlike the rest of the film that the sinking of the St. Georges almost causes a whiplash. And yet, I'm always looking forward to this little PTS, I really do. The helicopter action is my second favorite action scene in the entire film. (The first is, of course, the ski chase. You simply can't beat that.)

The Helicopter action should be in the other Bond film, if it's the PTS for, say, A View To A Kill, would've makes more sense.

The problem with the PTS was Blofeld appearing in there, very out of place, and obviously forced and shoehorned, it shouldn't be in there, just silly, almost like a parody, so as much as that helicopter action stunt was good, it's ruined by Blofeld, kind of like how the slide whistle ruined an otherwise great stunt in TMWTGG.

Then yes, Tracy's grave, for me, that scene should've happened right after the events of OHMSS, because in this film, it almost felt like a retcon, it's also felt shoehorned and came out of nowhere, like there's no reason for it to happened, and it took many films to have Bond do it? Why? What's the intention for him visiting her grave other than to explain it in technicality that it's meant to introduce the new Bond actor (which didn't happened anyway), it carries no weight.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I guess you have to watch it in the context of its times, @SIS_HQ . I had closely followed the Bond films since 1977's TSWLM and it was clear that the slogan "It's the BIGGEST. It's the BEST. It's BOND. And B-E-Y-O-N-D." had been taking that movie and MR in 1979 quite far away from Fleming's Bond. For Moore's 5th film the producers wanted to take Bond back to his Fleming roots, and not knowing for sure if this would be Moore's last Bond film, this was the time for it.
    Unfortunately, they overdid it by not only taking a sequence out of the Risico short story, which was great, but felt they needed to also tie the Roger Moore Bond to OHMSS (and ignoring the DAF Blofeld). Back then it already felt out of place, but I remember being happy for the fact that OHMSS got a deserved reference and late appreciation. In 1981 the press still treated OHMSS and it's Bond as a failure.
    4cx8d1nj5k9p.jpg
    zbht56oa9k9j.jpg
    o2m92tc6rps4.jpg
    ajc2oo7djlz8.jpg
    1ir79dkhbo29.jpg
    9uey6ohobsoz.jpg
    p027c4l2j23k.jpg
    tjwdvfxudkvb.jpg
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 3,017
    zebrafish wrote: »
    I guess you have to watch it in the context of its times, @SIS_HQ . I had closely followed the Bond films since 1977's TSWLM and it was clear that the slogan "It's the BIGGEST. It's the BEST. It's BOND. And B-E-Y-O-N-D." had been taking that movie and MR in 1979 quite far away from Fleming's Bond. For Moore's 5th film the producers wanted to take Bond back to his Fleming roots, and not knowing for sure if this would be Moore's last Bond film, this was the time for it.
    Unfortunately, they overdid it by not only taking a sequence out of the Risico short story, which was great, but felt they needed to also tie the Roger Moore Bond to OHMSS (and ignoring the DAF Blofeld). Back then it already felt out of place, but I remember being happy for the fact that OHMSS got a deserved reference and late appreciation. In 1981 the press still treated OHMSS and it's Bond as a failure.

FYEO is a very strange film for some of these reasons. There's so much effort being put into incorporating the Fleming material, the pretty specific reference to Tracy at the beginning of the PTS etc. It's even a consciously much more 'down to earth' film than its predecessor.

And yet it also contains some of the most stupid moments of the series I'd argue. The ending with Thatcher and the parrot, the knock off Blofeld. It drifts into the realm of parody more than even MR did I'd argue.
    007HallY wrote: »

FYEO is a very strange film for some of these reasons. There's so much effort being put into incorporating the Fleming material, the pretty specific reference to Tracy at the beginning of the PTS etc. It's even a consciously much more 'down to earth' film than its predecessor.

And yet it also contains some of the most stupid moments of the series I'd argue. The ending with Thatcher and the parrot, the knock off Blofeld. It drifts into the realm of parody more than even MR did I'd argue.

But you also get the keel hauling scene, that is taken directly from the Fleming novel of LALD, and is wonderfully shot and tense.
    Also, the climbing sequence to gain access to Kristatos hideaway is full of tension and thrills.
    I do agree, there are moments of silliness that the film doesn't need. But on the whole this is a more grounded film, and Roger Moore to his credit does play it pretty straight compared to his other outings.
    siklclw1m1ku.jpg
    1k7umyui5q1f.jpg
    mba0mgt09kby.jpg
    4o9wmtf3bzb0.jpg
    pxr3c73m2e6x.jpg
    vj7oz8vl6hq3.jpg
    fbxm4vfv0xn1.jpg
    1ghp5eoshy2j.jpg
    Benny wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »

But you also get the keel hauling scene, that is taken directly from the Fleming novel of LALD, and is wonderfully shot and tense.
    Also, the climbing sequence to gain access to Kristatos hideaway is full of tension and thrills.
    I do agree, there are moments of silliness that the film doesn't need. But on the whole this is a more grounded film, and Roger Moore to his credit does play it pretty straight compared to his other outings.

I would say it's my least favourite Moore performance, but a lot of that is due to the script. I often say the character Moore's playing isn't recognisably James Bond for me. I can't see in this film the same hardened spy who in TSWLM matter-of-factly (but sympathetically) told Anya he killed her lover, or the one from TMWGG who claimed he only killed for Queen and Country. He seems to wag his finger at Melina a lot and quote Chinese proverbs about revenge whilst killing at least two character in this film for personal reasons. I'd argue Moore played the character much more 'straight' in those other two films, and OP was the film where he played that older, slightly more gentle Bond convincingly (ie. his looks of genuine terror during the circus sequence, or him looking horrified at Orlov's plan which involved killing hundreds of innocent people).

I do like the climbing sequence though. The keel hauling for me isn't quite as impactful without LALD's dark, almost surreal atmosphere and villain.
    Some great discussion about the film. Might be better suited to take place here
    https://mi6community.com/discussion/13771/the-for-your-eyes-only-appreciation-thread#latest