Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The 4K versions are superb though- a complete boxset may not be certain due to the two different studios involved of course.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I keep waiting for the BD, and unless they charge outrageous prices for it, I'll be among the first to buy one. There are limits, though, to what I am ready to spend. Most of my collection was well below 10 euros each, and that includes all-time classics and some of the best movies of the world. But I guess EUR 12.99 for a recenty-issued Blu-ray would be alright. I don't need special editions with a second disc for the extras (and especially not an extra DVD with the same feature - why should I wish to watch that if I have it in Full HD?).

And I certainly won't spend extra money for a metal box ("steelbook") or that kind of nonsense. I don't care how the disc is packaged as long as it is protected, and it sits in my shelf without having anyone looking at it until taken out for a view, and so the usual plastic casing is fine.

Another thing I'm not going to do is subscribe to a streaming service. I like physical media so far.

I use streaming to see if I should buy new shows on physical media. ;)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    4K is one step too far for me. I'm still thrilled watching FullHD movies via my 13-year old projector and 14' diagonal screen and can't imagine watching anything more detailed than what I have. It's perfect, and I won't upgrade.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    For me the real benefit is HDR rather than the higher resolution of 4K. The increased range of brights and darks really makes a film pop; plus the restoration jobs on the Indy films is amazing. The new, re-graded version of Skull is a big improvement for my money.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    mtm wrote: »
    The 4K versions are superb though- a complete boxset may not be certain due to the two different studios involved of course.

It’s possible they play nice. Four out of the first five MCU films were Paramont joints. So any box set that includes the first set of Iron Man/Thor/Captain America films has to be shared between Disney and Paramount when putting them together with their respective sequels.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    We had the same kind of deal between Warner and Universal over the 4K Craig boxset, while the studios didn’t have any kind of particular partnership. While Disney and Paramount at least signed a deal to get Indy 5 made and may have settled issues such as cross licensing for a collection at the time.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2023 Posts: 14,986
    mtm wrote: »

It’s possible they play nice. Four out of the first five MCU films were Paramont joints. So any box set that includes the first set of Iron Man/Thor/Captain America films has to be shared between Disney and Paramount when putting them together with their respective sequels.

Yes, it is possible. Fingers crossed.
    Although Disney aren’t making the John Williams soundtrack available on CD (there was a limited amount which has already sold out) so I’m not sure how committed to releasing this they’ll be.

There's even talk (hopefully erroneous) that Disney is no longer releasing anything on physical media in Australia after Guardians 3.
    Indy 5 Pitch Meeting😂

• HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Paramount wouldn't sell many more copies of their boxsets in the next few years if there are only four movies in it. The definitive version needs to include the five titles.
    And given the initial contracts between Lucasfilm and Paramount, Lucasfilm still has final approval over every product they release.

The most likely scenario is that we'll get a standalone release for DOD by September on Disney. And in time for the holidays, we'll get the complete adventures of Indiana Jones from Paramount, with the last disc carrying a Disney logo.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 8,700
    I desperately want the DOD soundtrack on CD. Why Disney won't release it is beyond me. I'm certainly not going to subscribe to some streaming service, Disney or not, just for that one. But I think it's a crime not making a John Williams soundtrack available on CD.
  • willowlovewillowlove Kent, WA, USA
    The DOD soundtrack was released on CD--and vinyl--through Disney Music Emporium. My copy's arriving today. Unfortunately, the CD is now out of print. The link for the LP is below.

https://disneymusicemporium.com/product/XVLP226/john-williams-indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-2lp-set?cp=null
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I desperately want the DOD soundtrack on CD. Why Disney won't release it is beyond me. I'm certainly not subscribe to some streaming service, Disney or not, just for that one. But I think it's a crime not making a John Williams soundtrack available on CD.

Yes it's utterly mad. I can't pretend to know how scores sell, but you'd imagine a new John Williams score sells more than most. Hopefully someone will release an expanded version very soon.
    Those folks at Disney are crazy. Possibly the final score from the greatest film composer of the last fifty years and these idiots don't have the respect to at least put it out on cd.
    willowlove wrote: »
    The DOD soundtrack was released on CD--and vinyl--through Disney Music Emporium. My copy's arriving today. Unfortunately, the CD is now out of print. The link for the LP is below.

https://disneymusicemporium.com/product/XVLP226/john-williams-indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-2lp-set?cp=null

Thanks for the suggestion. But while I still have some 400 LP albums stored in the basement which I haven't listened to since the late eighties (still expecting to digitize a few), I won't go back to vinyl.
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    Those folks at Disney are crazy. Possibly the final score from the greatest film composer of the last fifty years and these idiots don't have the respect to at least put it out on cd.

I consider myself a collector of scores/soundtracks on CD, with about 600 discs on my shelf just from that category. Not being a completist overall, I'm definitely a completist regarding certain composers. I have everything from Williams and Barry and Morricone that I dug up and found it worth the price they were asking (that's still not close to everything those three wrote). I fully agree with your assessment and consider Disney's position a personal insult. I may refuse to buy the Blu-ray when it comes out in protest against this idiocy (...probably not, I'm afraid...).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes I'll be buying it on the top edition they make available (as long as they do) because I liked it.
    But someone has to release the score. Mangold was even making noises about ensuring that would happen back before the film released. It's a lovely score but there's a lot missing. None of the sort of David Shire-esque piano stuff from the NYC section is on the released version, for example.
    If they left out parts, it would be the lesser of two evils, though very deplorable. But not releasing the music at all is totally unacceptable. And I would prefer to have the complete new tracks/cues if they need to cut down for reasons of space, instead of the fifteenth rehash of the Raiders' March.

As for the Blu-ray, I'm afraid I'll be buying the cheapest version that at least contains the complete movie. I seldom get around to watching all the extras anyway, and it's also fine with me if the casing is standard plastic.

But let's say (Disney, do you hear me?) that they release a combo of Blu-ray or double BD *plus* a CD with the soundtrack, I may be in up to an otherwise ridiculous price. Say the equivalent of a bottle of decent 12-year old Single Malt.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    If they left out parts, it would be the lesser of two evils, though very deplorable. But not releasing the music at all is totally unacceptable.

Yes, no disagreement here.
    And releasing it in one country and letting it sell out before announcing that it's a limited release does not count.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Indy 5 Pitch Meeting😂

:P Love this, very funny and a great channel that I enjoy!
    thedove wrote: »
    Indy 5 Pitch Meeting😂

:P Love this, very funny and a great channel that I enjoy!

Love how the two Ryan’s point out how KK gave Indy the same pathetic loser father/husband arc she gave Han in Force Awakens…minus the humiliating death of course!😅

“KK gave”?
    What is this nonsense?
    If this particular arc comes from somebody, it’s Ford. He was the one who pushed for instance for the scene in his NY apartment where he’s just wearing drawers due to the heat and he said in interviews that it was the scene he was the proudest of.
    Also, there’s a similar arc in Blade Runner 2049 and in some degree in Shrinking, the TV show he’s a part of.
    That’s actually a rather common thing for a few self-aware former action stars to comment on the passing of time, by having elements such a scene that shows how much they’re worn and wrinkled, at the point that they are now a shadow of their former selves, plus a deep sadness due to the loss of a child or the rejection of their own child who cut all ties with them. Clint Eastwood has done this umpteen times (True Crime, Million Dollar Baby, Gran Torino, etc.).
    Yet, nobody has ever claimed that Clint Eastwood has done this due to Kathleen Kennedy. It’s just a well worn Hollywood trope. But at least the writers have had some original ideas for the rest of the script which is much more than what can be said about some “contributions” here. Don’t you have instead , as a grownup man, a hit “woke” Barbie movie to review negatively because it’s hurting your self-image?
    When it came to Indy films, the three figures that determined where the film would go was always Lucas, Spielberg, and Ford. They were essentially creative partners. Lucas has stepped away from his company, and Spielberg decided not to direct this but hand it to someone else. That leaves Ford as the man who will basically approve/disapprove whatever the filmmakers approach him with.

It would not surprise me that Ford was enthusiastic with what DOD had for him because he was being given something dramatic to chew on than you typically got in Indy. I absolutely think he thought with this film that he would make audiences emotional over seeing an icon like Indy facing down his lowest point. Not too far off from Daniel Craig given more dramatic meat to chew on NTTD.

I don’t think it works perfectly, but I admire the swing.
    When it came to Indy films, the three figures that determined where the film would go was always Lucas, Spielberg, and Ford. They were essentially creative partners. Lucas has stepped away from his company, and Spielberg decided not to direct this but hand it to someone else. That leaves Ford as the man who will basically approve/disapprove whatever the filmmakers approach him with.

It would not surprise me that Ford was enthusiastic with what DOD had for him because he was being given something dramatic to chew on than you typically got in Indy. I absolutely think he thought with this film that he would make audiences emotional over seeing an icon like Indy facing down his lowest point. Not too far off from Daniel Craig given more dramatic meat to chew on NTTD.

I don’t think it works perfectly, but I admire the swing.

I respect Ford a lot.I can even forgive him ( somewhat ) for the way he allowed them to destroy Han Solo as a character as he’s made it clear for a long time now he doesn’t particularly care about Star Wars and Han Solo ( he wanted him killed off in ROTJ ).

However,I can’t forgive him for letting them turn into Indy into a pathetic old man who basically becomes a damsel in distress for the last 20 mins of DOD.Clearly the majority of cinema audiences agree with me,

There are only three real Indiana Jones’s movies and TLC was a great swan song for the character.KOTC and DOD are part of a weird alternate universe as far as I’m concerned ( along with Disney Star Wars )

Only cowards pretend something isn’t canon! You have to accept ALL of it!

THE PHANTOM MENACE? Canon! THE RISE OF SKYWALKER? Canon! THE FINAL FRONTIER? Canon! NEMESIS? Canon! CRYSTAL SKULL??

united-airlines-entered-1.gif

THE PHANTOM MENACE? Canon! THE RISE OF SKYWALKER? Canon! THE FINAL FRONTIER? Canon! NEMESIS? Canon! CRYSTAL SKULL??

Nope.

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    “KK gave”?
    What is this nonsense?
    If this particular arc comes from somebody, it’s Ford. He was the one who pushed for instance for the scene in his NY apartment where he’s just wearing drawers due to the heat and he said in interviews that it was the scene he was the proudest of.
    Also, there’s a similar arc in Blade Runner 2049 and in some degree in Shrinking, the TV show he’s a part of.
    That’s actually a rather common thing for a few self-aware former action stars to comment on the passing of time, by having elements such a scene that shows how much they’re worn and wrinkled, at the point that they are now a shadow of their former selves, plus a deep sadness due to the loss of a child or the rejection of their own child who cut all ties with them. Clint Eastwood has done this umpteen times (True Crime, Million Dollar Baby, Gran Torino, etc.).
    Yet, nobody has ever claimed that Clint Eastwood has done this due to Kathleen Kennedy. It’s just a well worn Hollywood trope. But at least the writers have had some original ideas for the rest of the script which is much more than what can be said about some “contributions” here. Don’t you have instead , as a grownup man, a hit “woke” Barbie movie to review negatively because it’s hurting your self-image?

Yes there is a character arc for a male to face. The old guy whose better days are behind them, bitter, cynical they will usually meet up with either a young buck or lady who will spark them to head off on one daring adventure. Usually within this trope the male rises to the occasion and rescues the world, or beats the bad guy. Sometimes at the cost of his own life. The latest twist has been, the young lady now tops the old guy. Tells him how much better she is and how he's a relic or dinosaur. She can do everything better than the old guy. The modern take has been to rob the trope of the male hero getting to be that just one last time.

Not sure that Clint Eastwood films fit into this new modern trope as the male is left to be the ":hero" of the story.

I found this modern trope most offensive with the last three Star Wars movies. Rey is awesome, can fly ships (although never been off the planet or piloted before), can battle a Sith with no training at all, knows every weapon and blaster without having left her planet, she can play the Jedi mind trick without having seen it or knowing of it. In short she is a superwoman who does no wrong. She quickly shows Han that she's a great pilot, she shows Luke that her force powers are much higher than his. She doesn't really put Leia in her place, though she does share a warm embrace with her when Leia's husband dies, while his co-pilot of many years gets to walk past with nary a look. As a result the character is boring, no challenge really. In the end we discover that she's a Palpatine BUT she declares herself a Skywalker, why? Good question, I guess when you are just that awesome you can be whoever you like or whoever you want to be.

Some will jump on this post and point to countless female characters before Rey and share that this is exactly the same as those. To that I say, nah. Strong female characters are wonderful and always welcome. But they had flaws, they had challenges to overcome. Ripley is a kick ass woman, but she has fears, she isn't always the bestest at everything. Leia from Star Wars, kicks ass, but also hides her love for Han, she watches her home planet get wiped out and still focusses on the mission at hand, etc. In order for a character to be interesting their needs to be warts. Rey doesn't have them, not sure about Helena as I haven't seen the movie. but I did find it funny that one punch from her sends Indy into a deep coma that allows her to get him to his New York apartment. What a punch this lady has! LOL!

Nope.

Yup.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    thedove wrote: »
    I did find it funny that one punch from her sends Indy into a deep coma that allows her to get him to his New York apartment. What a punch this lady has! LOL!
    Please remember that he was about to go into shock from blood loss.... just sayin'.

• How did Indy and Helena get back to 1969? I thought the only way was through the fissure in the sky.