Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I’m sorry if it hurts anyone’s feelings that I called Critical Drinker a worthless grifter. Actually I’m not sorry. Go ahead and keep defending that piece of trash. I don’t care.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2023 Posts: 14,957
    JustJames wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Well I thought that, but I was corrected by someone pointing out that 'legacy sequel' is apparently a term which means films which more often focus on new characters and work to sort of restart the series whilst still having some original characters: so an example would be Force Awakens. DOD is more of a straightforward sequel as Indy is still the star.

I’m using Legacy Sequel here in terms that it is a production inherited during the takeover, and is a sequel.
    Tbh usually Legacy Sequel just usually means a sequel that’s to quite an old property, the whole ‘adding new characters’ thing is a fairly recent use of the word. Grows out of sequels having ‘legacy’ characters, which again is confusing in a way. Is ‘Grease 2’ not a straightforward sequel because the only returning actors/characters are bit parts? Is it an early example of a ‘Legacy Sequel’? What about Predator 2 with *no* returning characters — pure sequel, all others legacy sequels unless they have the same protagonist/actors? Alien Resurrection has *one* returning star, but is not playing the exact same character… was Phantom Menace a Legacy Prequel? What about when we get a sequel that contradicts other sequels, but keeps or shares cast and production members, or returns them? Halloween? Terminator: Dark Fate?

Gosh I don't know: as I say, I was corrected by someone else for using the term for this film; I looked it up and it does seem to be the term for Tron Legacy/Force Awakens sort of things, but I don't know if that's right or not. I just thought it was interesting that there were so many of those things that there's an actual name for them! :)
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    I’m sorry if it hurts anyone’s feelings that I called Critical Drinker a worthless grifter. Actually I’m not sorry. Go ahead and keep defending that piece of trash. I don’t care.

It hurts my feelings. I know worthless grifters. They don’t deserve to be put in the same bag as this guy.
  • First impressions. Too long but overall quite good.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Thanks to Mr. Ford, and it was already on my mind that this latest Indiana Jones movie was made for me.

That's how I received it.

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I don't understand the name calling @MakeshiftPython you want to object to him, fine. but to name call seems unnecessary. There are many a critic I object to you, I wouldn't call them a name, I would merely state I don't agree.

@bondywondy I really liked your post describing Hollywood. You do wonder what will give in budgets. I doubt the front of camera will feel the effect, more likely the behind the scenes folks will either be chopped or reduced in numbers. Thanks for your thoughtful post!
    thedove wrote: »
    I don't understand the name calling @MakeshiftPython you want to object to him, fine. but to name call seems unnecessary. There are many a critic I object to you, I wouldn't call them a name, I would merely state I don't agree.

Because he earned it, and deserves to be miserable.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

From what I've seen of his stuff, I think it would be hard to say that he doesn't go in for namecalling along with much worse accusations of people, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind.
    Yes he is rather blunt with his thoughts! LOL!

I suppose it bothers me more than anything. I don't like to engage in name calling and feel the word would be a better place without it. Call me an idealist.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited July 2023 Posts: 10,588
    Been a while since I've posted. Last week I walked out of my IMAX screening highly satisfied with DOD. It was thrilling and almost perfect tonally. Would place it a very close 4th next to the first 3 untouchable entries. It oddly feels more Indy than KOTCS despite not being directed by Spielberg. In some ways this new film is the Dark Knight Rises of the Indy world - a highly satisfying conclusion despite some imperfections. This is definitely one of those i’ll likely be revisiting a lot over the years.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 6,677
    I liked it. I really did. Wasn't expecting that, and was pleasantly surprised. I may even like it more than TOD. As of now, I think my ranking is:

1.Raiders
    2.Crusade
    3.Dial
    4.Doom
    5.What was that other one called? Bah, who cares.

jake24 wrote: »
    Been a while since I've posted. Last week I walked out of my IMAX screening highly satisfied with DOD. It was thrilling and almost perfect tonally. Would place it a very close 4th next to the first 3 untouchable entries. It oddly feels more Indy than KOTCS despite not being directed by Spielberg. In some ways this new film is the Dark Knight Rises of the Indy world - a highly satisfying conclusion despite some imperfections. This is definitely one of those i’ll likely be revisiting a lot over the years.

Good to see you my friend. Your feelings almost flawlessly mirror my own.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    DoD will have legs…

From what I've seen of his stuff, I think it would be hard to say that he doesn't go in for namecalling along with much worse accusations of people, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

I don’t need to watch his video to guess that he probably railed on Helena for being a “strong female”, when she was clearly a throwback to the fast talking women of the 30s that had to overcome their own insecurities in order to connect with other human beings. I see online a lot of complaints about her being a Mary Sue, which I find baffling. It’s like they read the scene where she refers to herself as “beautiful, self reliant, resilient” and took it as the movie stating it as a fact, rather than the obvious text that she’s someone that is way in over her head that needs help.

I don’t need to watch his video to guess that he probably railed on Helena for being a “strong female”, when she was clearly a throwback to the fast talking women of the 30s that had to overcome their own insecurities in order to connect with other human beings. I see online a lot of complaints about her being a Mary Sue, which I find baffling. It’s like they read the scene where she refers to herself as “beautiful, self reliant, resilient” and took it as the movie stating it as a fact, rather than the obvious text that she’s someone that is way in over her head that needs help.

After seeing some of the Critical Drinker types on YouTube before going to the cinema, I was really expecting to hate her character, yet was surprised to discover the character was actually needed, and helped the story, not hinder it. I really cannot see what the fuss was about. If anything she was probably one of the highlights of the film.
  • I think people are hating on her character purely because it’s Phoebe Waller Bridge playing her and nothing more. Saying that, I haven’t seen the new Indy film yet.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 12,269
    I did not care for her character much at all. It has nothing to do with Phoebe herself or any "feminst / woke / propaganda" complaints, I just had a hard time finding her very likeable, and found that the intense efforts to make her witty and mischievous overshadowed the more sensitive, relatable side that I wish we could have gotten more of (I feel like Marion was a great example of balancing the fieriness and soft side). Helena's arc in the movie is there, and it's not entirely bad, but I think it could have been executed way better. Her kid sidekick did nothing for me either unfortunately. It might say more about me than anything that even though I'm much closer to Helena's age, I related to Indy a lot more in the story with feeling out of place. Luckily, I enjoyed most of the other stuff in the movie!

Perhaps a rewatch could help with this also. I don't always catch everything the first time, and subtle details have often gone a long way in changing my opinions. When it comes to the other female leads of the series, I think Marion and Elsa are both excellent, but Willie is grating and Spalko is a bit bland. I especially want to like Spalko more than I do, but she just isn't as interesting as she could have been at all.
    I always liked Willie. She’s supposed to be a Hollywood brat that gets thrown into an adventure, which brings out a lot of the screwball comedy.

Univex wrote: »
    I liked it. I really did. Wasn't expecting that, and was pleasantly surprised. I may even like it more than TOD. As of now, I think my ranking is:

1.Raiders
    2.Crusade
    3.Dial
    4.Doom

I have the same ranking now.
    I liked it. Depressingly CGI laden, even more than Crystal Skull seemed to be (that bit with the train at the start felt almost blasphemous in an Indy film), but I expected that because of Ford’s age and the trailers. And I still thought it was fun, a solid send off for the character.

I think calling someone a name, while blunt/direct, can be way less offensive than the racist/sexist dog whistles these “critics” spout.

After seeing some of the Critical Drinker types on YouTube before going to the cinema, I was really expecting to hate her character, yet was surprised to discover the character was actually needed, and helped the story, not hinder it. I really cannot see what the fuss was about. If anything she was probably one of the highlights of the film.

A lot of people said the same about Nomi in NTTD. Don’t you think there’s a lesson there?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes he is rather blunt with his thoughts! LOL!

I suppose it bothers me more than anything. I don't like to engage in name calling and feel the word would be a better place without it. Call me an idealist.

I agree the world would be better without those YouTubers like him who go in for that, yes ;)
    I pay no attention to negative YouTubers who use their channels just to dish on my heroes.
    Eff them. :D
    I'm planning to see DoD again next week.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes I had planned to go again this week but work got in the way. I must admit I’m getting my head turned by Ethan Hunt though! :D
    Yes I had planned to go again this week but work got in the way. I must admit I’m getting my head turned by Ethan Hunt though! :D

Same. My Dad's birthday is today so we're planning to see a movie together next week. We're either going to DoD or DEAD RECKONING.
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »

1.Raiders
    2.Crusade
    3.Dial
    4.Doom

I have the same ranking now.

You being you, my friend, that’s really good to know ;)

• Dial of Destiny was everything I wanted. Just wish Indy had punched a few Nazis including the bug henchman. Still, more emotional and full of character development in compared to MI films. MI films are fun but I’m getting fed up of Cruise now. He’s just grinning all the time and not much else. He’s a decent actor for sure but he rarely stretches himself.
  • meant to say a few more Nazis and big henchman!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't think getting free publicity off some rando on the internet mentioning them, would upset any YouTube critic. I imagine it would have the opposite effect.
    Most of the critics that I have seen think Helena has different motivations to suit what the plot needs at the time. She is sometimes there to stymie Indy, then seems to switch to his side without much in the way of an explanation, then switches again. In other words the writing of the character and not the portrayal. I will disclose that I haven't seen the film yet so I can't offer my own opinion.

So much passion for the film that it's great to hear the love for the film and those who are liking it but not loving it. I almost feel I need to watch Skull again to remind myself what I liked and didn't like about that movie. After Skull came out I remember telling myself that Crusade was the ending of the character for me. It was a note perfect film and the ride off into the sunset seemed appropriate. I do the same kind of thing for OP and having that has the last Moore Bond film, and SP as the last Craig Bond film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Which critics have said that?