Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited April 2023 Posts: 8,700
    The only notice I took of Jerry Springer was when he played himself in Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me, having both Dr. Evil and his son Scott on his show ("You're semi-evil. You're quasi-evil. You're the margarine of evil..."). Never knew who or what guy he was until reading up on him.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I must say that until yesterday I didn't know that Jerry Springer had been involved in American politics:

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    No wonder he lost the primary.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    No wonder he lost the primary.

He wishes he hadn't done that.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1/7) Movie CLIP - The Evils on "Springer" (1999) HD

R.I.P. Jerry Springer he certainly defined an era.
    Stina Rautelin 59

this is the third actor from swedish hit show Rederiet who passed and the yr isnt even half finished yet
    RIP James Alexander. I actually never seen him in anything, but he played Lemmer in Trackers. And Lemmer is maybe my favourite modern private eye.

• SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited May 2023 Posts: 8,700
    Gordon Lightfoot is dead at the age of 84, having died of "natural causes" in a hospital in Toronto. Another one of the greats gone. RIP.

And this:

And the earliest Lightfoot song I ever heard (although at the time performed by Peter, Paul & Mary):
  • Gordon Lightfoot. Man! He wrote so many great songs! I'll post one in a bit... but first I 'll be listening to what @j_w_ has left for us here.
  • Okay, so it's gotta be this one. Even more meaningful if you know the story behind the song. Maybe John Belushi should have listened a little harder...
    edited May 2023 Posts: 8,700
    @BeatlesSansEarmuffs: I can't see that video. "Video not available - This video contains content from SME. This partner has blocked the video in your country for copyright reasons." Can you state the song title? I'm sure I either know it or will find it on Youtube.
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch... I discovered this magnificent video (and I mean it!) set to Gord's Canadian Railroad Trilogy. Wonderful images illustrating a wonderful song.

• edited May 2023 Posts: 3,564
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    @BeatlesSansEarmuffs: I can't see that video. "Video not available - This video contains content from SME. This partner has blocked the video in your country for copyright reasons." Can you state the song title? I'm sure I either know it or will find it on Youtube.

Interesting. That was "Sundown." "Sundown, you better take care; if I find you've been creepin' round my back stairs..." I'll find another version & see if that one gets through.

Well, ok... I had this (and still have it, somewhere in the basement) on vinyl and of course on CD and on my car music system and...and...and... Have you had a look at the Canadian Railroad Trilogy video? I used to know that song by heart and be able to strum (and here and there pick) along with my limited guitar prowess...but I'd love to restart playing right now. And yes, I find the video amazing, quite apart from Gord's great song.
  • j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Well, ok... I had this (and still have it, somewhere in the basement) on vinyl and of course on CD and on my car music system and...and...and... Have you had a look at the Canadian Railroad Trilogy video? I used to know that song by heart and be able to strum (and here and there pick) along with my limited guitar prowess...but I'd love to restart playing right now. And yes, I find the video amazing, quite apart from Gord's great song.

Yes, I checked out the Canadian Railroad Trilogy video. Very nice! I've got Early Morning Rain in my own repertoire... and may some day work If You Could Read My Mind into the mix as well. Sundown is a little too dark for me to perform in public though...
  • Tell me if I'm wrong -- but doesn't the young Gordon look kinda like Roger Moore in this 1967 clip?

Tell me if I'm wrong -- but doesn't the young Gordon look kinda like Roger Moore in this 1967 clip?
    I sort of hate to tell you, since I love both Gord and Rog, but no, I don't think so.
  • j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Tell me if I'm wrong -- but doesn't the young Gordon look kinda like Roger Moore in this 1967 clip?
    I sort of hate to tell you, since I love both Gord and Rog, but no, I don't think so.

Well, that's what you get for lovin' them...
    Nevertheless, The Minstrel of the Dawn is gone...
    Just learned that the most iconic actor of French soap opera Plus Belle La Vie (think Eastenders, but in Marseille), Michel Cordes has been found dead by gunshot at his home.

https://time.news/more-beautiful-life-michel-cordes-alias-roland-marci-found-dead-by-firearm-at-his-home/

When she lived, my mom followed that soap religiously. She would be sad today.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Tori Bowie, World Champion Sprinter is dead at 32

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/03/sports/olympics/tori-bowie-dead.html

She's too young, but still created a pride.
    edited May 2023 Posts: 17,813
    I notice that a lot of athletes and sports players seem to die relatively young. It seems counterintuitive that very fit people at the top of their game die so young. I don't know whether that's as a result of overexertion on their part or something else like meddling in performance drugs but it is noticeable nonetheless.
    British actor Terrence Hardiman, who terrorized countless british schoolchildren in the series The Demon Headmaster, has passed away, aged 86.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/drama/terrence-hardiman-dead-demon-headmaster-newsupdate/
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Gerard wrote: »
    British actor Terrence Hardiman, who terrorized countless british schoolchildren in the series The Demon Headmaster, has passed away, aged 86.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/drama/terrence-hardiman-dead-demon-headmaster-newsupdate/

Good lawd, I vaguely remember that. Wasn't there something about his eyes, he had an intense stare? Something like that.

RIP
    Yes, he hypnotised pupils with his intense eyes even through the TV as I seem to recall. He had a recurring role as one of the monks in Cadfael too. Sad to hear he's died. He was a good actor.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Yes, he hypnotised pupils with his intense eyes even through the TV as I seem to recall. He had a recurring role as one of the monks in Cadfael too. Sad to hear he's died. He was a good actor.

I thought so. He was in an episode of Goodnight Sweetheart as well. I think it was the one where they riff on Dad's Army, with Terrance Hardiman playing the Sgt Wilson-esque character. He nailed John Le Mesurier's breezy laid back manner.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    "There were many superstars during the 1960s, but there was only one SUPERMAN."

RIP to the GOAT (Jim Brown)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    A genuine legend, R. I. P. Jim Brown.

Here with Isaac Hayes and Bernice Casey in the hilarious I'm Gonna Get You Sucka
    69185956604907b353ce2769dd6fbc6f02a210ff50bdd5ae42a3c3a58bc107bc._RI_.jpg

I will have to rewatch The Dirty Dozen and Ice Station Zebra when off work on Sunday.
    dirty+dozen+jim-brown.jpg
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

A nice photo @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. I posted an interview that Casey did with NFL films some years ago in the "Felix Leiter" tread. Like Jim Brown, he was a "different breed of cat."