Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2023 Posts: 14,948
    LucknFate wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    I once saw all the Mission: Impossible movies up to 5 at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens, NY and the movie that got the biggest crowd reaction was 2, in a good way.

It's a fun film, good brain-off post-pub watching. It's so kind of silly fun that I can imagine a crowd would react to it well. It's far from my favourite but sits well alongside other overblown 90s action films like Broken Arrow, Con Air and Face Off and all of those.

They were definitely cheering in a self-aware, this is campy, sort of manner. When the doves fly etc. got big reactions. The John Woo-isms were a hit, but the audience also knew what it was in for. It was certainly a celebration. I'd imagine a fan-showing of DAD would have a similar result. People would "lean into it."

Yeah, it's campy fun. I actually think bits like where Ethan pulls off his baddie mask after he's got the henchman shot by his own boss are proper sort of clever-plan-has-gone-well, punch-the-air stuff which is more Mission Impossible than most of the next film, which is strangely flat the whole way through. MI3 even has a heist bit in Rome which it manages to make really quite dull when it should have been loads of fun.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    talos7 wrote: »
    I once saw all the Mission: Impossible movies up to 5 at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens, NY and the movie that got the biggest crowd reaction was 2, in a good way.

Very hard to believe, perhaps you like it so much that you're just being nostalgic.

It was a marathon in the cinema. Not many people stuck around after the first movie, I was one of maybe a dozen left by the last film. Thank you for attempting to make a liar out of me, but my memory is pretty solid. Strangely rude!

I just know how you feel about nostalgia. 😉
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Tom Cruise is the GOAT and his MI films have put the bond series to shame in recent years. We can only hope that the old adage that competition breeds innovation holds true, and Bond comes back swing harder and better than ever in his next iteration, whenever that may be...
    doubleoego wrote: »
    M:I-2 is a guilty pleasure of mine in the series. It simply goes out to entertain. John Woo takes his stylish filmmaking into an even more stylish realm. Tom Cruise becomes a bonafide movie star and action star after the film. Dougray Scott's Ambrose and his goons are entertaining. Anthony Hopkins is subtle, yet effective. Thandiwe Newton is beautiful and is almost like a Vesper Lynd. Zimmer's score for the film, is 2nd and sometimes 1st on my list of his best scores, because the score for M:I-2 and Inception are that good that I struggle to put one atop the other permanently.

I remember around the time CR was casting its characters, Newton was actually considered for the role of Vesper.

She would have been great; missed opportunity.
    Not a missed opportunity at all. Considering what we got with Eva Green.

Now, if we were talking about DAD and the Jinx role that would be a whole different story. Missed opportunity there for sure. Somehow I can’t see Thandie saying “yo momma”. :) But if it’s in the script then I guess she’d have to say it.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    M:I-2 is a guilty pleasure of mine in the series. It simply goes out to entertain. John Woo takes his stylish filmmaking into an even more stylish realm. Tom Cruise becomes a bonafide movie star and action star after the film. Dougray Scott's Ambrose and his goons are entertaining. Anthony Hopkins is subtle, yet effective. Thandiwe Newton is beautiful and is almost like a Vesper Lynd. Zimmer's score for the film, is 2nd and sometimes 1st on my list of his best scores, because the score for M:I-2 and Inception are that good that I struggle to put one atop the other permanently.

I remember around the time CR was casting its characters, Newton was actually considered for the role of Vesper.

Now, if we were talking about DAD and the Jinx role that would be a whole different story. Missed opportunity there for sure. Somehow I can’t see Thandie saying “yo momma”. :) But if it’s in the script then I guess she’d have to say it.

I don't think the issue with Jinx was the actor in the part.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2023 Posts: 14,948

I'm not that impressed with her. Newton seems more talented to me, and the right nationality too, which I think would have helped. She was excellent in Line of Duty a couple of years back.

Speaking of DAD, I also feel like Rosamund Pike got cast one film too early too. Imagine her doing the train scene with Craig, she'd have been excellent.
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 6,677
    Eva Green is a godess.
    …that’s all. I’d post a picture. Any picture. But why bother? She just is. A godess. And Ridley Scott, Bernardo Bertolucci and many others will vouch for her talent.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    1. Fallout
    2. Mission Impossible 3*
    3. Mission Impossible*
    4. Ghost Protocol
    5. Rogue Nation
    6. Mission Impossible 2

* These two swap around all of the time. I could do this ranking tomorrow, and they might be the other way around.
    1. Fallout
    2. Mission Impossible 3*
    3. Mission Impossible*
    4. Ghost Protocol
    5. Rogue Nation
    6. Mission Impossible 2

* These two swap around all of the time. I could do this ranking tomorrow, and they might be the other way around.

Good to see the love for III. So often see it getting slated for some reason.
    1. Rogue Nation
    2. MI: 3
    3. Fallout
    4. Ghost Protocol
    5. MI
    6. MI:2
    1. Fallout
    2. Mission Impossible 3*
    3. Mission Impossible*
    4. Ghost Protocol
    5. Rogue Nation
    6. Mission Impossible 2

I like 3, just not as much as most of the others; rankings can look deceiving without additional text. 2 is the only one I wasn’t big on.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    1. Fallout
    2. Mission Impossible 3*
    3. Mission Impossible*
    4. Ghost Protocol
    5. Rogue Nation
    6. Mission Impossible 2

The Vatican break in/escape, bridge attack, and one-take running sequence are all stand out scenes.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 7,970
    1. Fallout
    2. Mission Impossible 3*
    3. Mission Impossible*
    4. Ghost Protocol
    5. Rogue Nation
    6. Mission Impossible 2

The Vatican break in/escape, bridge attack, and one-take running sequence are all stand out scenes.
    I’ve always said that MI-3 is the emotional backbone of the series that made Ethan three dimensional ; this set him apart from similar characters in other franchises.

Where the filmmakers were smart is that they didn’t wallow in the personal issues and subsequent entries concentrated on the spy intrigue.and action.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    1. MI
    2. Fallout
    3. MI:3
    4. Rogue Nation
    5. Ghost Protocol
    6. MI:2

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    1. Fallout
    2. Rogue Nation
    3. Mission Impossible
    4. Ghost Protocol
    5. MI2
    6. MI3
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    The team that they created in MI3 was great, they all complimented each other well.
    The story of MI3 was great as well, I like the fact that it was protégé missing that pulled Ethan back in
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Fallout / Rogue Nation (I often flip between the two for first place.)
    MI3
    Ghost Protocol
    MI
    MI2
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited March 2023 Posts: 8,025
    MARRAIGE: IMPOSSIBLE is an odd duck to me because I think Ethan looses his cool way too easily for me to find it believable. It’s the same issue I had with TWINE, only not as badly written as that one. It also just feel amateurishly made after following master filmmakers like De Palma and John Woo.

The Vatican is the only highlight. So much of the action is pretty bad, especially the wind turbine field chase.
    MARRAIGE: IMPOSSIBLE is an odd duck to me because I think Ethan looses his cool way too easily for me to find it believable. It’s the same issue I had with TWINE, only not as badly written as that one. It also just feel amateurishly made after following master filmmakers like De Palma and John Woo.

The Vatican is the only highlight. So much of the action is pretty bad, especially the wind turbine field chase.

The action, if I'm not mistaken, was handled by Vic Armstrong!
    Yikes! That explains everything.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    My ranking is probably this:

1. Ghost Protocol
    2. Rogue Nation
    3. Fallout

Those three could very well be interchangeable. Usually a toss up between Rogue Nation and Ghost for my favourite.

4. Three
    5. One

I quite enjoy three and to me it's really where the series found its footing. It's a little rusty, but I have a good time with it. The first film is probably "better" and I also adore it, but I suppose it just feels a little "diet Mission: Impossible" compared to what came later. Probably an unfair reason to rank it as such, but nevertheless I don't revisit it as often as I used to.

6. Two

I really struggle to enjoy anything about this film. I've even tried just doing the old "turn off the brain and have fun" but I just don't like it. I almost always skip it when re-watching the series as a whole.
    Ryan wrote: »
    My ranking is probably this:

1. Ghost Protocol
    2. Rogue Nation
    3. Fallout

Those three could very well be interchangeable. Usually a toss up between Rogue Nation and Ghost for my favourite.

4. Three
    5. One

I quite enjoy three and to me it's really where the series found its footing. It's a little rusty, but I have a good time with it. The first film is probably "better" and I also adore it, but I suppose it just feels a little "diet Mission: Impossible" compared to what came later. Probably an unfair reason to rank it as such, but nevertheless I don't revisit it as often as I used to.

6. Two

I really struggle to enjoy anything about this film. I've even tried just doing the old "turn off the brain and have fun" but I just don't like it. I almost always skip it when re-watching the series as a whole.

I agree MI:2 just feels empty. I know they had a lot of problems in post and Stuart Baird was brought in to do a major re-edit, which I think shows, particularly in the climatic scenes.
  • Fallout
    Rogue Nation
    MI3
    Ghost Protocol
    MI
    MI2

It seems we all put MI2 at the bottom.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Not all.
    Definitely overhated.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The outliers for me in this series are MI2 (gets way too much flak, it's a favorite of mine) and MI3 (very overrated, in my eyes. Abrams unique style is appreciated but it's too chaotic for this series and the film as a whole is quite lacking in one good setpiece or bit of action, though the Rome sequences are fun).
  • Though I will give credit to MI2 for the over the top action and chase scene those where quite entertaining and fun along with the camera work. MI2 wasn't as good with the dialog and a lot of scenes where too cheesy. Cheesy movies are good like some of the James Bond films but with Bond they realized that they where cheesy and they embraced it but with MI2 they where trying to be serious and cool and it didn't seem like they knew it was cheesy.
    MI2 is very much a John Woo film for good and bad, and his films tended to be very melodramatic, but things getting over the top is just part of his style and that’s what he was asked to bring for his take on M:I.

This is the same filmmaker that gave us this:

snake-jean-claude-van-damme.gif

Like, OF COURSE we were gonna get something like this:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611bcaca4f2bf5fddf3a0097679f290ed4b318b09b9&rid=giphy.gif
  • I like the action.
    MI:2 being the worst film in the franchise (for me at least) just goes to show the high standard these films have maintained over the years.