Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited March 2023 Posts: 5,958
    Although I doubt the validity of the Nolan rumours, it would seem strange for Eon to not consider him. He's a hugely acclaimed director and lifelong Bond fan whose terms of involvement happen to be exactly the position they're in now. If they're going to do a Nolan Bond film, then now would seem to be the obvious time. Who knows if Nolan will still be making films by the time Bond #8 is making his debut? Or if there'll even be a Bond #8 of course.

But personally, I believe Babs and Mike when they say they haven't made any progress. I think if we're lucky we'll get a release date by the end of the year.

If there's a writers strike we might not have any updates until next year. They can hardly move forward without a single word on the page, I think they learned their lesson from quantum.

Quite right.

Agreed. They were a bit stuck with QoS because they had the pressure of following up the Bond actor's first film, similar to TND, in a lot of ways.

Here the timing is different. They can afford to wait until the strike is over before moving ahead with a new Bond actor.

I'm not on the Nolan train. I think it's been a while since he's made a good film (Tenet was unwatchable), and I highly doubt Eon wants to invest millions in getting people excited about Tom Hardy, just to drop him after one film. That would make no business sense whatsoever. It would make more business (probably not creative) sense to bring Brosnan back for one film, because they've already sunk the costs into promoting his Bond over the decades.

Lazenby was a one-off, but that was hardly the producers' intent.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    echo wrote: »
    Although I doubt the validity of the Nolan rumours, it would seem strange for Eon to not consider him. He's a hugely acclaimed director and lifelong Bond fan whose terms of involvement happen to be exactly the position they're in now. If they're going to do a Nolan Bond film, then now would seem to be the obvious time. Who knows if Nolan will still be making films by the time Bond #8 is making his debut? Or if there'll even be a Bond #8 of course.

But personally, I believe Babs and Mike when they say they haven't made any progress. I think if we're lucky we'll get a release date by the end of the year.

If there's a writers strike we might not have any updates until next year. They can hardly move forward without a single word on the page, I think they learned their lesson from quantum.

Quite right.

Agreed. They were a bit stuck with QoS because they had the pressure of following up the Bond actor's first film, similar to TND, in a lot of ways.

Here the timing is different. They can afford to wait until the strike is over before moving ahead with a new Bond actor.

we can definitely rule out 2025 as a release date if this is the case. Time is already running out and a strike could take MONTHS depending on how much of a stalemate this turns into.

Everyone get comfortable, we could be here a while... (:|
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited March 2023 Posts: 559

Quite right.

we can definitely rule out 2025 as a release date if this is the case. Time is already running out and a strike could take MONTHS depending on how much of a stalemate this turns into.

Everyone get comfortable, we could be here a while... (:|

Excellent, plenty of time for me to get to London, get a Savile Row suit, an Omega watch, and barge into the Eon production office and say; "I heard you're looking for James Bond." And break a Russian stuntman's nose of course.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited March 2023 Posts: 2,921
    BB famously said that Haggis delivered the draft script for QOS an hour before the writers' strike started and then went outside with a placard and started picketing the offices! So they actually had a lot more to go on then than they apparently do at the moment. I really can see them using the new strike to give themselves more breathing space to think things through. With regard to Nolan's longstanding vision for Bond, I was about to say that one man's speculative reinvention isn't much more than fan-fic - then it dawned on me that Doug Liman did a one-man reinvention of Jason Bourne and that didn't turn out too badly, did it? So fair enough! :D

I don't subscribe to the notion of reinvention because Bond was invented long ago. A fresh take, however, is welcome. I would like to think that freshening up the series could mean looking beyond the usual big names. My belief is there is no shortage of directing and writing talent in the film industry.
    Indeed, so. Thing is, when EON themselves have used the word 'reinvention', that suggests it might go further than a fresh take. Nolan's also used the word 'reinvention', so if he was hired that'd be producers and director aiming for something new in unison. We could well be in for quite a different Bond. That'd be a gamble because of how Craig's Bond was hugely popular, extremely successful and largely critically-acclaimed. Could be unwise to tamper too much. On the other hand, hiring Dan in the first place was a massive gamble and look how that paid off. Interesting times, these.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited March 2023 Posts: 1,427
    We're getting the better part of the next year or two in a strike with no news. The odds of this not happening are slim. We'll find out in May. The chances that Broccoli is echoing Nolan on "reinvention" without having any contact with him are also high. She probably doesn't remember an interview he did years ago. If there's about to be a strike, she probably isn't thinking about him at all.
    I also think that EON maybe weighing the possibility of getting out of the Bond business and selling off their rights. At this point, considering the unevenness of the films, I would not have a problem if I never see another EON produced Bond film. Perhaps That IS the way to "freshen" up the character, for better or worse.
    delfloria wrote: »
    I also think that EON maybe weighing the possibility of getting out of the Bond business and selling off their rights. At this point, considering the unevenness of the films, I would not have a problem if I never see another EON produced Bond film. Perhaps That IS the way to "freshen" up the character, for better or worse.

I think that's unfathomable. Not that they wouldn't do it, but that a fan would want them to. I do not just want "more Bond content" as others have posted about. I want a good Bond story that understands Fleming and escapism. I don't trust the current Fleming estate, given their recent content changes to the books, and I don't trust some business suit with no legacy making good movies. I trust Eon to at least try to get it right. Every time they make a movie, they're working very hard to deliver what they think the right balance is. It's not always to your taste, fair, but each of the last three films has connected with audiences and it's crazy to suggest they've been unsuccessful or mishandling things from a business perspective.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    BTW when did Nolan say the thing about having an idea but it would need to be a reinvention or whatever it was?
    BTW when did Nolan say the thing about having an idea but it would need to be a reinvention or whatever it was?

2017. https://screenrant.com/christopher-nolan-direct-james-bond-comments-reinvention/

I believe it was very likely Craig wasn't committed to do another one after Spectre yet, so Nolan saw his chance. That was so long ago now. We'll see what he says, he'll undoubtedly be asked about Bond this summer. Pending the strike, they may have to make a decision on Nolan pretty early if they want to keep the questions at bay.
    Yes, Dan was out of contract after SP, but BB 'was very persuasive' when it came to luring him back for NTTD. And I agree: while Barbara Broccoli's there, the Bond series is already in the best hands.
  • timdalton007timdalton007 North Alabama

I can’t say that I can see that happening or, if it did, it being a positive development for the series. Studio executives, after all, have a track record of running successful franchises into the ground to chase the latest fad or simply out of spite for an idea of theirs not getting used. Eon may have their faults, but I remain convinced that even with their pursuing more art house projects, there’s still a focus on Bond you won’t get selling it off to Amazon entirely.

Which brings me to the question I’ve had over the last couple of months as chatter about this possibility had popped up across social media, Bond YouTubers, and on here: Where are we getting any serious indication that might be what they’re considering?
    EON will not be selling off their rights. Trust me.
    Univex wrote: »
    EON will not be selling off their rights. Trust me.

trust? What a quaint idea.
    I think it's more conjecture based on some people's desires to (for some reason) see Barbara gone, rather than anything based in fact. But one could take "we need to reinvent what Bond is" or whatever it is they keep saying not just as "we need to re-think the tone of the films", but also as "we need to figure out a way forward for the way we produce these." But that's pretty far fetched.
    Like I've said before, I think they are seriously weighing the various options for what EON leadership will look like for the next era. I believe that mainly concerns MGW's involvement, but in whatever process they are going through, Barbara might also think about what she wants her role to be.
    Whatever the outcome may be, I don't think they'll sell off those rights. They may go to the next generation, they may look outside the family, but I can't imagine them selling.
    I think its safe to say MGW won't be a producer for the entirety of the next era of Bond, as he would be in his 90's by then. So whatever happens, there's going to be a transition similar to the 90's where Cubby passed on the reins to his children. Either they are looking to sell, or Gregg or someone is being promoted into producer alongside Barbara, and groomed to take things over in future. Maybe it's convenient that the strike is (possibly) happening now, and gives them time to sort things out. On the down side, we might not see another Bond movie until 2026 at the earliest at this rate.
    I think its safe to say MGW won't be a producer for the entirety of the next era of Bond, as he would be in his 90's by then. So whatever happens, there's going to be a transition similar to the 90's where Cubby passed on the reins to his children. Either they are looking to sell, or Gregg or someone is being promoted into producer alongside Barbara, and groomed to take things over in future. Maybe it's convenient that the strike is (possibly) happening now, and gives them time to sort things out. On the down side, we might not see another Bond movie until 2026 at the earliest at this rate.

According to Getty Images, Gregg Wilson and a longtime Eon publicist and now Eon's company director Heather Callow accepted the Great Creative Briton award on behalf of Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli at the Walpole British Luxury Awards 2022 in November.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I think it's more conjecture based on some people's desires to (for some reason) see Barbara gone, rather than anything based in fact. But one could take "we need to reinvent what Bond is" or whatever it is they keep saying not just as "we need to re-think the tone of the films", but also as "we need to figure out a way forward for the way we produce these." But that's pretty far fetched.
    Like I've said before, I think they are seriously weighing the various options for what EON leadership will look like for the next era. I believe that mainly concerns MGW's involvement, but in whatever process they are going through, Barbara might also think about what she wants her role to be.
    Whatever the outcome may be, I don't think they'll sell off those rights. They may go to the next generation, they may look outside the family, but I can't imagine them selling.

+1. BB and MGW don't need to sell. They can hold onto the rights as long as they want, and make a movie when they want. How much are they worth? They're sitting on a goldmine.

+1. BB and MGW don't need to sell. They can hold onto the rights as long as they want, and make a movie when they want. How much are they worth? They're sitting on a goldmine.

Wasn't there at some point a rumour about a contractual rule that they have to make a film every x years or the rights fall to MGM? Or was that the other way around?

Either way. They can keep owning Eon and Danjaq and let other people manage it or keep management of the company and get some else to produce the films or stay on as producers but get a kind of executive director to work with more permanently or 12 other ways to do it if they don't want to be involved anymore before they sell their family heirloom.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I think this is closest we'll ever be to the Nolan rumours having any weight.
    Didn't he use the word "reinvention" when taking about Bond? Which is interesting given that Barbara talked of reinventing the character as well.
    Possibly more to her statement than we realised at the time
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I think this is closest we'll ever be to the Nolan rumours having any weight.
    Didn't he use the word "reinvention" when taking about Bond? Which is interesting given that Barbara talked of reinventing the character as well.
    Possibly more to her statement than we realised at the time

It could be some sort of producer PR trick, using the same word that Nolan did in order to entice him along at an early stage.

Or it could be something that she says every time they go into a new Bond film/era and Nolan picked it up second hand. Or indeed complete coincidence.

Who knows? Nothing's set in stone for now.
    The problem is even if they were on negotiations with Nolan and had him locked in, there's still nothing they can do if theres a strike about to take place that could carry on for months on end. We could be in november and still not have a single word of bond 26 written yet.
  • SmilionSmilion Slovenia
    I think if we are ever getting a Nolan Bond movie, we are getting it now. Nolan would only direct a reboot of the series, not any movie further into the series of one's Bond. And by the time the next Bond shall be chosen, he will be around 70. ... Furthermore, Nolan since TDKR follows a similar pattern, interchanging more serious drama films and a blockbusters (Interstellar - Dunkirk - Tenet - Oppenheimer). It would indeed fit right after Oppie and also with the whole reinvention thing ( as in his own words, it is very much needed now). We shall see.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I'd be happy if it happened. Not saying I'm desperate for a Nolan Bond film, but I like his stuff and would love to see what he'd do with Bond, and how he might fit his time themes into a Bond film.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    It's big if, but if Nolan signs on for Bond 26 it will bring in the general audiences, espicially in the US. I think it would create a buzz to see what he would do with the series
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited March 2023 Posts: 650
    If the price of Nolan directing Bond is ATJ playing the role, I'd rather the producers hire another director.
    In all seriousness, I don't understand the idea of Nolan doing Bond. None of his films has had the emotional or stylish flourishes need for a Bond film. To me Campbell and Nolan are polar opposites. Inception on one hand and Zorro on the other. I just don't get it. Please explain.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited March 2023 Posts: 16,330
    Nolan and ATJ would be a hard pass from me.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    slide_99 wrote: »
    If the price of Nolan directing Bond is ATJ playing the role, I'd rather the producers hire another director.

I'd agree with you here honestly, but there's really nothing they could do that would make me pass on a new Bond film altogether.
    In all seriousness, I don't understand the idea of Nolan doing Bond. None of his films has had the emotional or stylish flourishes need for a Bond film. To me Campbell and Nolan are polar opposites. Inception on one hand and Zorro on the other. I just don't get it. Please explain.

There's nothing to explain. You're either interested in what could come out of the pairing, or you're not.