The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    OK, I wasn't really aware that Hargreaves (or whoever was M) had gone back a rank in TLD. But either way, it it just may have been a goof by the producers or whoever. I'm not really up-to-date regarding those officer ranks (I hardly recall German ranks from my army stint in 1976/77). Still it makes more sense to me that he followed Sir Miles rather than incorporating him when Bernard Lee became unavailable.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2023 Posts: 14,943
    I guess potentially he could have been rebooted for TLD in the same way Dench's M was for CR too.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    He might have, but then we have so far thought of the Dalton 007 as the same time line, haven't we? For whatever it's worth.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Is Doctor No actually a Doctor? He is a scientist in the film, not too sure about the book. If not is it a title he has given himself?
    @Mallory

The novel apparently (I read it, but don't remember the passage...it's been ages) states something like this:

"No spent a long time in hospital, then enrolled in medical school in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He adopted the title of Doctor and changed his name to Julius No, symbolic of his rejection of his father, whose given name was Julius." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_No)

So we should assume that he sort of obtained the title of M.D. somehow.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited February 2023 Posts: 3,390
    Is it me or Moore's voice in the Karate School sequence in The Man With The Golden Gun was different?

It's too high pitched (the voice didn't sound like him) it's sounds like the voice was a bit drunk 😅, not the deep sophisticated voice that Moore was famous for, but in the rest of the film scenes, his voice was just normally deep, the rest of the film, his voice was just okay.

But in the karate school scene, his voice was quite different, in all of his dialogues in the whole Karate School sequence, it's really different.

Was it dubbed or something? Probably more in the technical?

I just find it a bit weird, because before and after that sequence, his voice was just normal (his deep voice).

Here's the video:
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    Is it me or Moore's voice in the Karate School sequence in The Man With The Golden Gun was different?

It's too high pitched (the voice didn't sound like him) it's sounds like the voice was a bit drunk 😅, not the deep sophisticated voice that Moore was famous for, but in the rest of the film scenes, his voice was just normally deep, the rest of the film, his voice was just okay.

But in the karate school scene, his voice was quite different, in all of his dialogues in the whole Karate School sequence, it's really different.

Was it dubbed or something? Probably more in the technical?

I just find it a bit weird, because before and after that sequence, his voice was just normal (his deep voice).

I'm afraid it is indeed "just you", @MI6HQ. He speaks relatively few lines during the entire sequence, but to me they all sound like Rog himself.

I just thought of this while looking at the Q Elimination Game thread: had John Cleese already assumed the title of “Q” by the end of TWINE, given the absence of Llewelyn during the last scene while Cleese is there? Obviously he is fully Q in DAD, but it just occurred to me he might have already gotten the job by the time TWINE finishes. Did I miss any hints that indicate this is true or false?
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I just thought of this while looking at the Q Elimination Game thread: had John Cleese already assumed the title of “Q” by the end of TWINE, given the absence of Llewelyn during the last scene while Cleese is there? Obviously he is fully Q in DAD, but it just occurred to me he might have already gotten the job by the time TWINE finishes. Did I miss any hints that indicate this is true or false?

I think I'd always just assumed he was still Q's understudy in TWINE and that Q (Llewelyn) just wasn't present at that particular moment in the final scene.
    Just a question, Bond said in the books and even shown in the film that in order to be a 00 agent, it needs a two kills, but as we all know, Bond can also seduce and have sex with women.

Did he underwent any sort of sexpionage training before being a 00 agent? I've seen this a long time ago in the trailer of Red Sparrow with Jennifer Lawrence, that they're trained in sexpionage (or using sex to gather information), and if my memory serves, you also need to be good looking in order to attract and seduce your targets.

And Bond almost seemed qualified in those (attractive and can do sex), did Bond underwent some trainings for sexpionage?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Please check your Message inbox @MI6HQ
    edited April 2023 Posts: 3,390
    Guys, Does any of you have knowledge about the Chris Moore novelizations of A View To A Kill, Octopussy, and The Living Daylights?

They're mostly the Dutch Editions? Has anyone here have read them?

https://www.thebookbond.com/2013/01/chris-moores-unknown-novelizations-of.html?m=1

https://jamesbond.fandom.com/wiki/Chris_Moore

https://debrief.commanderbond.net/topic/59202-chris-moore/index.html

Thank you for the reply 😊
    In TSWLM, the British submarine Ranger is hijacked, along with the Russian Submarine Potemkin. At the start and finale of the film, the British submariners and the crew of the USS Wayne fight alongside one another against Stromberg's crew. But what happened to the crew of the Potemkin?
    We never see them. Were they not freed along with the British crew?
    I may destroy your enjoyment of almost every TV show, but focus on coffee cups the next time you see one on TV. They are almost always empty. Both mugs and to go cups seemingly have no weight to them, and actors gesture with them as if there is no chance for things to spill. Which is exactly the reason why they have empty cups. A spill, even if it’s just water, would probably set them back at least half an hour while wardrobe is trying to dry the costumes and props and design are cleaning and drying the set. But once you’ve seen it, you can’t stop noticing.

What I do notice in British crime drama fairly often is steam coming from cups.

Also note when two characters are in a car, they are touching shoulders. The camera doesn't like that space between heads.

• BigglesworthBigglesworth Bowling Green, KY
    The SPECTRE agents that meet with Blofeld and Largo in Thunderball (starting at 8:45 into the film) aren't actually credited at the end of the film, but a number of books and online resources identify the actors and match them up with their SPECTRE agent numbers (including IMDB). In my attached photos, I've confirmed that the actors are matched with their (uncredited) numbers.

Working away from Blofeld, the numbers seem to zig-zag back and forth from left to right for awhile, get mixed up where #8 should go (subbing in #13 and #14), and then reverse course (right to left) for the last four.

Does anyone know where these actor/# pairings came from? Some are obvious from the film. When Blofeld asks for a report from #7, Cecil Cheng answers. But most are never referred to by number and - again - they don't show up in the closing titles. Did someone just make these listings up, or is there a reason to believe they're accurate?

There is also a guy sitting at the front of the original SPECTRE meeting (Gary Colleano). He is listed on IMDB (and elsewhere) as #11, even though Murray Kash is also listed as #11 and is clearly referred to as such in the scene. But Gary shows up in a later scene in the film, along with Jaron Yaltan (whose #14 screws up the original counting sequence). This makes me wonder if maybe they were identified in a call sheet or something like that?

SPECTRE%20Agents%201.jpg

SPECTRE%20Agents%202.jpg

SPECTRE%20Agents%203.jpg
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Not sure how they would have come up with these numberings. I never realized that the 3 men were present at the meeting and when Blofeld ordered the hit on Count Lippe!
    Please check my PM on you, @thedove thanks.

Still trying to figure out these agent #s.

The red circled agents are the ones explicitly identified by the dialogue (including #6's empty chair that everyone looks at when Blofeld mentions his untimely demise). The blue stars are the guys who return in the brief "Kill Count Lippe" scene later.

My theory is that they were supposed to zig-zag back and forth as #2 through #7 do, but they screwed up by leaving a gap between #7 and #9. It would make sense to plug #13 in there, but that doesn't explain why #14 replaces #8 or why they have an extra #11 up front. That's why I'm wondering if maybe there was a call sheet for the later scene that identifies those two.
    SPECTRE%20Agents%205.jpg
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 1,517
    deleted
    Let's try an easier one:
    Does anyone know the story behind the editing of Thunderball? Ernest Hosler is listed as Editor, with Peter Hunt listed as Supervising Editor. Depending on the forum and the thread, people seem to insist that one or the other is the real editor (welcome to the internet). Anyone know what really happened behind the scenes?
    The story that I had heard was that Young was rather burned out by the end of the filming of TB. He left a jumble mess behind for Hunt to make sense of, I would imagine that Hunt would have been leading the editing process.

Hosler was, I suspect, working under the direction of Hunt. Hunt had continuity issues to worry or not worry about. Leiter's shorts and pants during the helicopter scenes is a bit jarring. There are other issues with the film.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited June 2023 Posts: 5,975
    Yes, my understanding is that Hunt rescued TB. It's surprising that he wasn't given YOLT to direct although perhaps it already was in pre-production.
    That makes sense, I think. So Hosler was the initial editor - and hence, the main credit - but Hunt was brought in later to help? Same or similar situation with You Only Live Twice and Thelma Connell (and Hunt)?

Thanks!
    In The Man With The Golden Gun, in the PTS, Scaramanga had a mannequin of James Bond, the thing is, how did Scaramanga knew what Bond looked like?

Kinda liked that FRWL Bond mask in that Red Grant training, but at least SPECTRE might possibly have the complete information on Bond's appearance.

But in TMWTGG, how the heck did Scaramanga knew what Bond looked like?
    Up to GF the producers seemed to indicate that Bond and his double-o rank were closely guarded secrets. Goldfinger says they got their info from "you opposite number, also license to kill." In effect a double agent. Grant on the train says they sweated out his information through a man in Hong Kong? Even TB had Bond as a relative unknown, except to Spectre which makes sense since their paths crossed a few times. YOLT the death is pitched as a way to give Bond more elbow room. Then in OHMSS we have Bond being known by hotel staff in Portugal. We have in DAF a low level diamond smuggler, Tiffany Case, knowing who James Bond is.

We could assume that Scaramanga would know of Bond, would he know his appearance? Unlikely. Why would he have a mannequin of Bond, so that Bond has a way to beat him at the end of the movie. I could ask how Bond knew to dress in the exact same suit as the mannequin. Also does the mannequin have a real gun with bullets? Why? Bond loses his gun but uses the mannequin gun to kill Scaramanga. All in all this whole thing doesn't hold up to much scrutiny.
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    In The Man With The Golden Gun, in the PTS, Scaramanga had a mannequin of James Bond, the thing is, how did Scaramanga knew what Bond looked like?

Kinda liked that FRWL Bond mask in that Red Grant training, but at least SPECTRE might possibly have the complete information on Bond's appearance.

But in TMWTGG, how the heck did Scaramanga knew what Bond looked like?

Didn't Klebb show Tatiana a photo of Bond? Also there was talk about Bond killing their operative Dr. No.

Bottom line, Bond is the worst kept secret in the spy business.

Yes @CrabKey but I would expect Spectre or Russian Intelligence to have photos of agents. I always imagined that Klebb got one through Russian Intelligence but who knows.

I think we can safely say that the mask in Russia and the mannequin in Golden Gun were for cinematic effect, through in Golden Gun the mannequin ends up being a part of the climax to help out Bond.
    Why did Roger Moore do AVTAK? Doing OP made sense too compete with Connery, but what was the reason to do AVTAK?
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Why did Roger Moore do AVTAK? Doing OP made sense too compete with Connery, but what was the reason to do AVTAK?

I’d imagine it was a range of factors.
    The $4-5 million pay + a % of the profits.
    Maybe Sir Rog wanted to do one more than Sean in the EON series.
    Maybe Cubby convinced him to come back for one more.
    Being a Roger Moore fan I can understand why some people think it was a film or two, too far.
    I have something of a soft spot for AVTAK, and glad he made it.
    Benny wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »

I’d imagine it was a range of factors.
    The $4-5 million pay + a % of the profits.
    Maybe Sir Rog wanted to do one more than Sean in the EON series.
    Maybe Cubby convinced him to come back for one more.
    Being a Roger Moore fan I can understand why some people think it was a film or two, too far.
    I have something of a soft spot for AVTAK, and glad he made it.
    Im very happy Moore did AVTAK. Its one of my favorites. I just found it interesting that Moore wanted to leave after FYEO but was convinced to come back for OP and was pretty much convinced right away to due one more.