Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Stark wrote: »
    I don't understand why some consider Cavill "too old". With a film every 3 years he can easily make 5-6.

Yes they should focus on him being too awful at acting
  • StarkStark France
    edited January 2023 Posts: 177
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    I don't understand why some consider Cavill "too old". With a film every 3 years he can easily make 5-6.

Having seen almost all of his films, I never thought he played badly. You can blame him for not being in many independent films, the characters he played are infinitely less interesting than those played by Aaron Taylor johnson for example, but I never saw him act badly.
    Since The Man from Uncle I don't see how anyone could doubt him in Bond.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 784

Having seen almost all of his films, I never thought he played badly. You can blame him for not being in many independent films, the characters he played are infinitely less interesting than those played by Aaron Taylor johnson for example, but I never saw him act badly.

After Craig I doubt they will settle for someone who barely can express two shallow emotions convincingly.

Still very much look forward to Argylle.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I think the fact that he signed on for Argylle shows that he knew that he wasn’t in the running for Bond.
    I dunno Cillian and Fassbender are leagues ahead of most other options according to me. They are capable naturalist actors with gravitas and their faces have character.

The only other one is Sope Dirisu.

I don't know how playing a robotic American makes him suitable as James Bond.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited January 2023 Posts: 1,318

After Craig I doubt they will settle for someone who barely can express more than two shallow emotions convincingly.

Still very much look forward to Argylle.

Alright this made me lol. Thanks for that. Concurred, by the way. Fassbender would have been amazing, truly the one that got away. My my, he would have been grand. I'd given my left nut for a Fassbender tenure in stead of Craig's.

Regarding Butler, in comparison to for example ATJ, all day Butler. I reckon he could pull it off better and I find him to be the much better actor, with the much better voice, to me highly important.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Come on @JeremyBondon you're not endorsing Gerard Butler to be a potential James Bond?
    He's the Scots equivalent of Steven Seagal.
    If it's not Aidan Turner it's...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    He's talking about Austin Butler.
    mtm wrote: »
    He's talking about Austin Butler.

My bad, I was wrongfully assuming that @JeremyBondon would never suggest an American actor to play Bond. I'm shocked :-O 8-}
    That's never going to happen so long as EON are in charge.
  • I though I was only delusional one here. We're all shook up.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    How can you tell if Austin Butler's voice is good if he's constantly putting on the Elvis voice? ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Benny wrote: »
    Come on @JeremyBondon you're not endorsing Gerard Butler to be a potential James Bond?
    He's the Scots equivalent of Steven Seagal.
    If it's not Aidan Turner it's...

seagal-steven-seagal.gif

Don't say that I didn't warn you all. As Saint Steven The Carrot Muncher is my witness, I am going to make that gif a regular sight on this forum.

Also, I am sure that Butler (Gerard or Austin) can run with look looking like an alien wearing a Seagal suit.
    I’m sorry to do this @MajorDSmythe but I’d rather shave my testicles in a dark room with a blunt razor, than let Steven Seagal anywhere near a Bond film.
    I’m sorry to do this @MajorDSmythe but I’d rather shave my testicles in a dark room with a blunt razor, than let Steven Seagal anywhere near a Bond film.

🤣😂

Hilarious.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    @Benny , please stop putting these images into our heads...
    zebrafish wrote: »

You mean Steven Seagal, or Gerard Butler...or even Austin Butler?
    I feel bad for naming any of them in a Bond forum.
    zebrafish wrote: »

You mean Steven Seagal, or Gerard Butler...or even Austin Butler?
    I feel bad for naming any of them in a Bond forum.

I'd rather have Steven Seagal than ATJ. At least it'd be hilarious in stead of dreary ATJ.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    We've had Daniel Craig as Bond, Saint Steven The Carrot Muncher isn't much more of a stretch.

220px-Trollface_non-free.png
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    What does it take to change the essence of a carrot.

Crunch.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Seagal for Bond? Let me think about that.
    Still thinking...
    Couldn't suck more than NSNA, could it?
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited January 2023 Posts: 539
    Joking aside, I'm not against the idea of an American (or any nationality) playing Bond,
    provided they can pull of some kind of English accent and convincingly embody the character's background. Otherwise, I can't see why it would be such a terrible thing.

As for Butler, I liked his Elvis performance and I thought he had a commanding screen presence, but I didn't think he embodied any key Bond-like traits.
    I do believe Austin would have done better as Ken in the Barbie film, or young Han Solo. I am not sure full transformation roles are his forte.

There is more to it than emulating a voice and body language.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 539
    I do believe Austin would have done better as Ken in the Barbie film, or young Han Solo. I am not sure full transformation roles are his forte.

I never said there isn't. It's just the only restriction I could put on an American playing the role. Being a solid actor with natural charisma, and being convincing in action scenes goes without saying.
  • I do believe Austin would have done better as Ken in the Barbie film, or young Han Solo. I am not sure full transformation roles are his forte.

I never said there isn't. It's just the only restriction I could put on an American playing the role. Being a solid actor with natural charisma, and being convincing in action scenes goes without saying.

I was alluding to his Elvis performance, not Bond.

My mistake.
  • I do believe Austin would have done better as Ken in the Barbie film, or young Han Solo. I am not sure full transformation roles are his forte.

My mistake.

Not at all, I could have been more clear.
    What does it take to change the essence of a carrot.

Crunch.

"I'm going to take you to the bank, Senator Trent, the food bank.... to get a carrot."

The problem is, almost no American actor can have a convincing British accent. That is, when they even bother trying.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2023 Posts: 14,861
    It’s possible, there’s a couple I was utterly convinced by: I remember being taken in by Peter Sarsgaard in An Education. But yeah, unusual.