Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Benny wrote: »
    ATJ isn't my first choice, nor is he on any list of actors I would suggest. However, he is not a bad choice for the next James Bond. Personally, I think he would be a very credible candidate for the role.
    I still have the likes of Nicholas Hoult, Tom Hughes and Sope Disiru high on my list of potential actors to fill the shoes of 007.

Sope Disiru. Do you really think eon would cast him as bond or must bond,
    superman,spiderman etc be Caucasian ?
    Sope-Dirisu-e1600768188224.jpg

It's a fair question. I wonder what the reaction would be if a white actor was cast as Shaft?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    ATJ isn't my first choice, nor is he on any list of actors I would suggest. However, he is not a bad choice for the next James Bond. Personally, I think he would be a very credible candidate for the role.
    I still have the likes of Nicholas Hoult, Tom Hughes and Sope Disiru high on my list of potential actors to fill the shoes of 007.

It's a fair question. I wonder what the reaction would be if a white actor was cast as Shaft?

I agree, but whenever this question is posed there are always those who say “ it’s different “ ; it not.

talos7 wrote: »

I agree, but whenever this question is posed there are always those who say “ it’s different “ ; it not.

Yes, culturally and story wise Shaft is evidently a black character. Fleming's Bond is evidently a white character.

mtm wrote: »
    How did you feel about Brosnan?

He would have a bad choice in the 80's but his age in the 90's helped.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2023 Posts: 14,951

Oh man, this old chestnut. It's not the same, one is not the other, black is not white. End of. Shaft was a blaxploitation character of his time, his race was pretty much his point. Bond's race has never been an essential part of his character, he just happens to have been invented in a time when someone in his role would be white, but that's not true any more and he's now set in the 21st century. Done.
    The fact that someone always has to say 'Shaft' is kind of a sign of the issue- they can never think of any other black characters.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 784
    All Bond actors, except Craig, look like middle easterners with nose jobs. Does that rule out most white actors or only black ones?

Oh man, this old chestnut. It's not the same, one is not the other, black is not white. End of. Shaft was a blaxploitation character of his time, his race was pretty much his point. Bond's race has never been an essential part of his character, he just happens to have been invented in a time when someone in his role would be white, but that's not true any more and he's now set in the 21st century. Done.
    The fact that someone always has to say 'Shaft' is kind of a sign of the issue- they can never think of any other black characters.

Snd this is a chestnut of rationalization.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2023 Posts: 14,951

Snd this is a chestnut of rationalization.

I presume you're arguing against what I said, but without using words that exist or an explanation of what you mean, it's not much of an argument.
    The term 'rationalization' very much belongs the other way around.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Are we doing this again?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Nah, I'm not interested. As I said: done. It was just the tired old Shaft thing that made me roll my eyes.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2023 Posts: 5,869
    So considering we've now learnt that EON have been speaking to Taylor-Johnson, do we think they've already been speaking directors or maybe even have one in particular on the cards like they do with ATJ?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's a good point. It certainly seems like the thing they'd do first.
  • ColonelSun wrote: »

Yes, culturally and story wise Shaft is evidently a black character. Fleming's Bond is evidently a white character.

I think Shaft is defined by his race in popular culture in a way that Bond isn’t. Ask someone on the street to sum up Shaft and they’d call him a black private detective. Ask someone on the street to sum Bond and they’d call him a suave, British superspy. A killer, a womaniser, a snob. But nobody’s first response would be “white guy”, even if that’s how they’d prefer the character to stay.

You’re right that in Fleming’s day he had to be white, to embody everything that Bond is. But British culture has changed a lot since then, and the argument I always use is this. If you slotted a black actor into the last few films, in place of Daniel Craig, would the films have to be altered at all, would this change have to be addressed? I don’t think it would, so for me, Bond’s race in Bond’s fantasy world is just another aspect of his appearance, something that’s changed many times already.

I think a better comparison than Shaft would be someone like Alex Cross. I‘m not overly familiar with him, so I could be wrong, but I don’t see any reason why he couldn’t be white. It’s unlikely to happen if they ever make another film soon, because we’re not at a point where the two decisions are the same, thanks to how few decent roles there have been for black actors until relatively recently. But if they did cast a white guy in that role, I think it’d work fine, because Alex Cross isn’t defined by being black in the way that Shaft is.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    So considering we've now learnt that EON have been speaking to Taylor-Johnson, do we think they've already been speaking directors or maybe even have one in particular on the cards like they do with ATJ?

Most definitely at a dinner table. ATJ is a pro choice
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Denbigh wrote: »

Most definitely at a dinner table. ATJ is a pro choice

Most likely.
    Seems @mtm is onboard with this idea as well.
    Traction is building ;)
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    It is. There's a plausibility about the ATJ rumours that you don't see with most of them. Not that I think he's got it or is even necessarily the preferred choice, but I do suspect that he's genuinely in the running.
  • Or it could be that they had a meeting and he wasn't up for the 12-year commitment, hence why both news announcements were around the same time.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2023 Posts: 5,869
    If Taylor-Johnson is the one for Barbara, I do wonder if this "leak" will trigger a more official announcement. I just can't help but feel with the rumours being true, he must have made quite the impression for the information to get out like it did.
    It’s still a big “ IF” . Virtually all reporting of this “ confirmed “ rumor has used the original rumor as a source. Remember, Clive Owen was as good as confirmed.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    If Taylor-Johnson is the one for Barbara, I do wonder if this "leak" will trigger a more official announcement. I just can't help but feel with the rumours being true, he must have made quite the impression for the information to get out like it did.

I think so too. I have my reservations about ATJ, but he seems a pretty serious contender. The only serious one at the moment.
    Or it could be that they had a meeting and he wasn't up for the 12-year commitment, hence why both news announcements were around the same time.

Who wouldn't be up for a 12 years commitment for a role like Bond?
    The next Bond should be invisible.
  • Since62 wrote: »

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    I know I've done this before but I really recommend people to watch Nowhere Boy.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited January 2023 Posts: 23,544
    Nah, I'm not interested. As I said: done.

Thank you, @mtm.

To all, please don't let this thread come off the rails again with the Shaft discussion. We've had it before, often, and the matter never gets settled so let's move on.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    One thing with ATJ is I don't know how he would look as Bond. Surely he'd be clean shaven but would he have Brosnan style longer hair or shorter Craig style hair?

If I'm honest I think he looks a bit odd with short hair, not to be rude but he doesn't look British, he almost looks American with short hair and no beard. He's a talented actor but i don't look at him and see a potential Bond
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 784
    Since62 wrote: »

Profanity as in common swearwords are getting videos demonetised on YouTube. Is that the last nail in the comedy coffin?
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    Who wouldn't be up for a 12 years commitment for a role like Bond?
    I keep thinking family commitments are an issue for the longevity and popularity of the role.
    Also it has to be written in the stars; more men have walked on the moon.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Since62 wrote: »

Profanity as in common swearwords are getting videos demonetised on YouTube. Is that the last nail in the comedy coffin?

That clip certainly felt like it :D
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    One thing with ATJ is I don't know how he would look as Bond. Surely he'd be clean shaven but would he have Brosnan style longer hair or shorter Craig style hair?

If I'm honest I think he looks a bit odd with short hair, not to be rude but he doesn't look British, he almost looks American with short hair and no beard. He's a talented actor but i don't look at him and see a potential Bond

I think the longer hair and comma would work for him.
    Jordo007 wrote: »

I think the longer hair and comma would work for him.
    Yes, absolutely!