Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Denbigh wrote: »
    @007HallY I think if an actor has a muscular physique then cool but I don't think it's something they specifically look for in an actor or ever will. It'll be more about the acting including the smaller things you mentioned.

I think you’re right. If anything the physique/getting into shape part is something the actor will work on after being cast/in pre-production.
    Venutius wrote: »
    As others have said, for general audiences, the physique aspect of it might depend on the extent to which, after 15 years of Craig, this is seen as a key part of what Bond is now. The other side to that is the extent to which EON want to subvert expectations and get away from CraigBond. They've said explicitly that they're 'reinventing who he is', after all.

True. I suppose Craig’s Bond is a bit of an outlier in this regard too. Much like Christian Bale’s Batman/Bruce Wayne there was much publicity about the actor bulking up, and the films themselves emphasised their physique and physicality (Batman Begins has scenes where Bruce starts to do push ups while shirtless, for instance, and of course CR has the infamous moment where Craig comes out of the water). While the physicality of Bond has always been a part of the role, the other actors didn’t have as much focus put on their physique, nor did any become as muscular as Craig in CR (hell, I think Connery was even slightly overweight in DAF).
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    edited December 2022 Posts: 686
    After Cavill said that his uninspiring physique in his ‘towel scene’ was criticised by Martin Campbell and he believes it was a factor in him losing out to Daniel Craig, I can’t see today’s contenders turning up with anything less than a Craig-esque body-type.

I think any supposed candidate we see who isn’t packing on the muscle either doesn’t want the job, or has reason to believe they’re out of the running.

As for ATJ, I don’t think he’s going to be Eon’s top choice, but I wouldn’t be surprised to find he’s Eon’s back-up.

But did Craig even turn up to the audition with a Craig-esque body type? Like I said he bulked up for the role, and I might be wrong but I remember reading an interview where he said he wasn’t in the best shape before doing so. I don’t know if what Cavill says is true (I thought Campbell proffered him over Craig at this point), but even if it is I suspect more factors went into him losing out on the role than hi physique.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    007HallY wrote: »
    But did Craig even turn up to the audition with a Craig-esque body type? Like I said he bulked up for the role, and I might be wrong but I remember reading an interview where he said he wasn’t in the best shape before doing so. I don’t know if what Cavill says is true (I thought Campbell proffered him over Craig at this point), but even if it is I suspect more factors went into him losing out on the role than hi physique.

I’m sure I remember Craig saying he started to push his body further when he was up for the part.
  • peterpeter Toronto
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 6,665
    I've just seen A Million little pieces, with ATJ, and I must say, as an heterosexual man, that his high pitch voice is well compensated in other...well..lower...body parts. Jeez, the guy beats Daniel Craig in his full frontals. Now, how to undo seeing that? He wouldn't fit in CR's blue swimming trunks. Never thought I'd comment on that in these forums :))

On another, more relevant note, he's one hell of an actor.

And about Craig's audition, he wasn't that bulked up for it, no. More or less...like me in non training weeks.

daniel-craig-james-bond-screen-test-featured.jpg

But he had a nice physique, anyway. Always had, I suppose.

And on another note, one derived from that pic, I do hope they keep the iconic ppk. One of the best things about the Craig era was the choices they made, on cars, guns, suits... for the most part.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited December 2022 Posts: 3,382
    Univex wrote: »
    I've just seen A Million little pieces, with ATJ, and I must say, as an heterosexual man, that his high pitch voice is well compensated in other...well..lower...body parts. Jeez, the guy beats Daniel Craig in his full frontals. Now, how to undo seeing that? He wouldn't fit in CR's blue swimming trunks. Never thought I'd comment on that in these forums :))

And about Craig's audition, he wasn't that bulked up for it, no. More or less...like me in non training weeks.

And on another note, one derived from that pic, I do hope they keep the iconic ppk. One of the best things about the Craig era was the choices they made, on cars, guns, suits... for the most part.

Barbara Broccoli just made sure of that, she wants the Craig Era to be the best of course 😉
    So, she picked what she thought was the best.

I think that's one of the efforts she's made.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited December 2022 Posts: 1,318

Looks kind of standard size or? Perhaps he's merely a shower ;) Also, ATJ is only 1.78 - 1.79m. Short.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Looks kind of standard size or? Perhaps he's merely a shower ;) Also, ATJ is only 1.78 - 1.79m. Short.

Surely, that's not a big deal. Tom Cruise is shorter than that. Brad Pitt is roughly the same size.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited December 2022 Posts: 5,834

Aaron Taylor-Johnson is 5'11

@Univex and yeah that film was directed by his wife. Maybe she was showing off? Haha. I actually went a Q&A screening with the two of them for that film.
  • Before the recent rumours I never even considered Aaron Taylor-Johnson, but now I really want him. I think he would be the perfect pick.
    Before the recent rumours I never even considered Aaron Taylor-Johnson, but now I really want him. I think he would be the perfect pick.

Ok perfect so which of the 6 bonds previous would be most be like?
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Didn't Craig say that he told Simon Waterson that he had to look like he'd just come out of Special Forces and was capable of killing someone, so they designed his training with that in mind?

If THAT is standard size and 1.79 is being short... I mean, a cm away from being 1.80 is being short? And he doesn't look short. Nic Hoult is 1.90, now that is too tall. 11cm taller. And IMO it doesn't translate well on screen.

On different sized news, Henry Cavill is producing and staring in the Warhammer 40000 series for Amazon. Goodbye James Bond, I'd say.
    I'd be alright with Taylor Johnson. His voice is a bit high pitched, but all the Bonds had their own distinct voice. Doesn't matter to me, really.
    Haven't seen him in anything yet, though (because I don't really know modern actors :(), but he seems a dashing gent. Don't like the long hair and beard for Bond, so I imagine that would be remedied.
    I do hope we get some news on B26 next year.
    Aaron Taylor-Johnson's name is too long. If you think I'm joking, I'm not. One fan who just saw the film recommends it to another film-goer. Oh, what is the name of the person now playing Bond ? Wait, it's what ? No one will remember all that. "Oh, but he's really good" is already an apologetic, "yes, but..." statement. This is silly ? It's childish ? It's also marketing. Quick, direct and easily remembered matters. Same with a film's title.
    Since62 wrote: »
    Aaron Taylor-Johnson's name is too long. If you think I'm joking, I'm not. One fan who just saw the film recommends it to another film-goer. Oh, what is the name of the person now playing Bond ? Wait, it's what ? No one will remember all that. "Oh, but he's really good" is already an apologetic, "yes, but..." statement. This is silly ? It's childish ? It's also marketing. Quick, direct and easily remembered matters. Same with a film's title.

We are talking about Bond franchise here. No problem for titles, or complicated names of actors. Bond sells itself, not a new actor playing the role.

The film is not going to lose fans at the BO because they cannot spell the actor's name correctly. And any title becomes meaningless at the BO too. For the past 3 decades or more, whenever I paid for tickets at the BO counter, I'd say `2 tickets for Bond please'.

I don't ever recall saying the title of the film at the counter. `Bond' is all that is needed.

And I hate to rain on your parade, but Idris Elba definitely WON'T be the next Bond. I'd bet my house on it.

Since62 wrote: »

We are talking about Bond franchise here. No problem for titles, or complicated names of actors. Bond sells itself, not a new actor playing the role.

The film is not going to lose fans at the BO because they cannot spell the actor's name correctly. And any title becomes meaningless at the BO too. For the past 3 decades or more, whenever I paid for tickets at the BO counter, I'd say `2 tickets for Bond please'.

I don't ever recall saying the title of the film at the counter. `Bond' is all that is needed.

And I hate to rain on your parade, but Idris Elba definitely WON'T be the next Bond. I'd bet my house on it.

Right? It's not like Pierce Brosnan was a common name everyone could easily remember. And it worked ;)
    Murdock wrote: »
    I spent way too much time on this. :))
    Ggy3dhD.jpg

Full link here.
    https://i.imgur.com/Ggy3dhD.jpg

Johnson looks like he really needs to go to the toilet.
    "Pierce Brosnan" is easily pronounced and is much briefer than "Aaron Taylor-Johnson."
    I am not betting on Idris Elba portraying Bond, but would like to see an actor cast who is as interesting for the part. Many of the actors suggested on this website are "just another handsome guy" without anything unique or interesting about them.
    You make an interesting point about people recommending or going to see, simply, "the Bond film", or "the new Bond film" or "the next Bond film." However, this does not entirely negate the marketing considerations I pointed out.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2022 Posts: 2,897
    Yeah, I remember a couple of people where I used to work insisting that they weren't going to go up to the BO counter and say 'Quantum of Solace'!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Not that it means a thing but I’ve always thought that Nicholas Hoult is a great name for a Bond actor.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Not that it means a thing but I’ve always thought that Nicholas Hoult is a great name for a Bond actor.

But now, after seeing The White Lotus, all I can see is Jake Lacy when I look at Hoult. Something about the mouth and eyes of both. They could be twins, IMO.
    :(
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier

But now, after seeing The White Lotus, all I can see is Jake Lacy when I look at Hoult. Something about the mouth and eyes of both. They could be twins, IMO.
    :(

crying-nicholas-hoult.gif
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    That said, while Hoult is still high on my list , I do think that he may be too tall.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Hoult is fine but I don't see him as Bond, I don't buy him that much into Action scenes and romantic scenes, but in terms of Physical structure, he's fine.

Watched him in Warm Bodies, and that speaks his performance to me.
    Aaron Taylor-Johnson is a perfectly fine name and the fact it's double barreled actually makes it more memorable I think. Remember people always said Arnold Schwarzenegger could never be a movie star with a name like that. How wrong they were
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Arnold Strong you mean? :)
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Again with most actors I can see what former bond they would most be like

Fassbender would be like Dalton
    Hardy like Connery
    Turner like Adrian Paul ;)

But while Cavill screams Brosnan and Hoult I feel has a roger Moore vibe…

I can’t place where Johnson will be as 007….

Don’t get me wrong I am not saying I will love or hate him (and yes my gut is saying he is Bond number 7 and while I might be wrong there is something different about these rumors and he seems Bab’s type) I just wish someone anyone who likes this potential choice tell me which bond actor he would most be like (lol and don’t just say Dalton because he is my favorite unless you truely believe he will be Dalton)

For me it's Benedict Cumberbatch who has a strong Moore vibe.

Yeah, he would be my choice for a Persuaders remake at the moment.
  • AmericanBondFan1994AmericanBondFan1994 Milford, Michigan
    That said, while Hoult is still high on my list , I do think that he may be too tall.

Connery was nearly as tall as Hoult!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    "Too tall", "too long a name", ... I'm hearing some weird things around here.