Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• Off topic, anyone seen the trailer for Yellowstone prequel trailer 1923? Harrison Ford and Tim Dalton as the big bad. Looks fantastic.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Off topic, anyone seen the trailer for Yellowstone prequel trailer 1923? Harrison Ford and Tim Dalton as the big bad. Looks fantastic.
    Not got round to watching Yellowstone, is the prequel on Paramount+? I had no idea Dalton was in it, I will have to check it out.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I honestly won’t even care. Would just be another predictable way to end a franchise.

Would riding off into the sunset be unpredictable then?
    mtm wrote: »
    I honestly won’t even care. Would just be another predictable way to end a franchise.

Would riding off into the sunset be unpredictable then?

Nowadays? Oh, absolutely!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Try watching a film called Spectre, which at the time they were thinking could be the last Craig 007 film.
    I get a bit tired of the 'everything nowadays is awful' stuff. Let's see how the film turns out before complaining about it.
    Yeah, it’s not what’s trendy now, so it would be. You can objectively say sure, a usual happy ending or death are equally predictable / “safe,” but at least in the case of the former there’s not hard attempts at dramatic value that often come up short.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited December 2022 Posts: 5,834
    An ending only works with the context of what came before it so it’s impossible to say a certain ending wouldn’t work because we don’t have the context.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    An ending only works with the context of what came before it so it’s impossible to say a certain ending wouldn’t work because we don’t have the context.

Again, true. I’m not rushing to any conclusions. But on paper, Indy dying isn’t all that interesting to me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Yeah, it’s not what’s trendy now, so it would be. You can objectively say sure, a usual happy ending or death are equally predictable / “safe,”

Great. So you'd get to complain both ways are 'predictable', so I guess that's something to keep moaners happy.
    "Yawn, you killed/didn't kill Indy, I predicted you'd do that. Worst. Movie. Evah."

This is the guy who killed off Logan and everyone loved it. I'm not saying that style or approach would suit Indy: it clearly wouldn't, but let's give this director/writer a little credit for his work record rather than say he will 'come up short'.
    Lmao this is literally going right back to what I said about people being shot down for even expressing potential concerns for their own tastes even though I’ve clearly stated I’m not taking rumors as gospel and waiting to see for myself. Thanks for proving that point.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Killing of characters has become an overdone plot device; I don’t see it being gone here. Like TG:M, they are going to go out with a positive, exhilarating ending, not the death of another screen hero.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited December 2022 Posts: 5,834
    Don’t worry about it @FoxRox, anyway, if we are considering the concept of Indy’s death. I personally think it doesn’t work with his character like it does with Bond or Logan, but again if it does happen then the context of the film may change my mind on that.
    Try watching a film called Spectre, which at the time they were thinking could be the last Craig 007 film.
    I get a bit tired of the 'everything nowadays is awful' stuff. Let's see how the film turns out before complaining about it.

I’m hopeful that the film will be great and a turning point for better days, or the expression of better days to come. But I am fairly certain that cinema and art in general are facing troubled times, whether we are talking about narrative, originality, quality,… I am sorry if you are tired of this sort of complaint, but logic dictates that if you are hearing a lot of it, then a lot of it must be valid.

Anyway, I hope the film will be good fun. Hope springs eternal, but I don’t have to be delusional to be hopeful. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers the wrong way as usual, @mtm. I was certainly not complaining about a film I haven’t seen. Was just expressing the fears I have for it. Wrong place for it, the forums, I guess.

Btw, I love SP’s ending. One of its best bits. That’s from 2015, right? I’d say things have changed quite a lot since then.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Lmao this is literally going right back to what I said about people being shot down for even expressing potential concerns for their own tastes even though I’ve clearly stated I’m not taking rumors as gospel and waiting to see for myself. Thanks for proving that point.

It's not though is it. You've said it will be 'predictable' no matter what they do: it doesn't sound like there's anything they could do you'd like. What would you like?

It's not though is it. You've said it will be 'predictable' no matter what they do: it doesn't sound like there's anything they could do you'd like. What would you like?

Yes, I admitted objectively that a happy end or a death are both predictable. But because I have my own individual tastes, I’d prefer a happy ending myself, and I said I wouldn’t even care if he died, not that I’d automatically hate it. I don’t understand why you’re so eager to attack someone who’s said multiple times they’re excited for the movie.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Univex wrote: »

I’m hopeful that the film will be great and a turning point for better days, or the expression of better days to come. But I am fairly certain that cinema and art in general are facing troubled times, whether we are talking about narrative, originality, quality,… I am sorry if you are tired of this sort of complaint, but logic dictates that if you are hearing a lot of it, then a lot of it must be valid.

Not really, it's the sort of thing people have said since art began. 'It's not as good as it used to be' is a perennial complaint.
    Univex wrote: »
    Btw, I love SP’s ending. One of its best bits. That’s from 2015, right? I’d say things have changed quite a lot since then.

In what way?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yes, I admitted objectively that a happy end or a death are both predictable. But because I have my own individual tastes, I’d prefer a happy ending myself, and I said I wouldn’t even care if he died, not that I’d automatically hate it.

I'm not sure what the issue is then?

Yes, I admitted objectively that a happy end or a death are both predictable. But because I have my own individual tastes, I’d prefer a happy ending myself, and I said I wouldn’t even care if he died, not that I’d automatically hate it.

I'm not sure what the issue is then?

Me neither! Why’d you pick the fight?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    This is pointless, it's just moaning about nothing. I can respect valid concerns but just being down on something for the sake of it seems to be regarded as clever.. nowadays ;)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Anyway, I really love how Phoebe looks and it seems they’ve given her some great costumes.
    I suppose it is! We oughta just do away with any bit of speculation that’s even remotely not positive praise to keep discussions totally multi-faceted and diverse! :D
    As he been like this throughout the year, guys? I though he could have mellowed over time. Alas, he clearly hasn’t.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Back and trying to start fights again. No change there alas.
    Anyway, I really love how Phoebe looks and it seems they’ve given her some great costumes.

Yes she's looking great; playing it English too I notice. Not a great surprise I guess, but noteworthy.
    I suppose it is! We oughta just do away with any bit of speculation that’s even remotely not positive praise to keep discussions totally multi-faceted and diverse! :D

No need for sarcasm. I guess I don't really see the point in speculating that something might be bad? I have issues with the trailer myself- I'm a bit concerned about some of the ropey face replacement; I think the title is a little less exciting than the other ones. But I'm hopeful they'll change those effects.
    Back and trying to start fights again.

Yes she's looking great; playing it English too I notice.

No, I’m trying to finish it. You started it. You turned my personal speculations and movie tastes, which were NOT assumptions, into a problem.
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 6,665
    Edited.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

No, I’m trying to finish it. You started it. You turned my personal speculations and movie tastes, which were NOT assumptions, into a problem.

I wasn't talking about you @FoxRox; I'm not accusing you of trying to start fights at all, apologies if it read that way.
    Also I'd recommend having a look at James Mangold's other movies, there's lots of reasons there to think he'll do a good job. He's not infallible, but even he has a good track record of killing off iconic characters in a satisfying way. I don't particularly like the prospect of that for Indy either, but if they were to do it (and I don't think they will) I think there's a chance he'd come up with a good way of doing it.

I wasn't talking about you @FoxRox; I'm not accusing you of trying to start fights at all, apologies if it read that way.
    He’s talking about me. Don’t worry.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Has everyone seen Fleabag? Highly recommend.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Has everyone seen Fleabag? Highly recommend.

Not seen it. Just saw a clip or two, and thought it looked pretty dumb.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh it's great, brilliant bit of TV. It's easy to see why PWB has been so celebrated from that.
    Bonkers how she's gone from a BBC Three comedy drama like that to being involved in Bond, Star Wars and Indiana Jones!