Where does Bond go after Craig?

1188189191193194212

Comments

  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 11,648
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    No I don't think it's that; it would simply be because Mendes had a relationship with Newman and wanted to use him, and you let the Oscar-winning director choose his composer.

    I agree that Newman came with Mendes as a 'by default'. I am, however, unsure about the producers' relationship with Arnold independent of that. Frankly, I know little about what he is doing right now.

    Well he's curating the official Eon 60th anniversary show at the Albert Hall week after next, so I assume they're still vaguely friendly.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython Omaha, NE
    Posts: 6,696
    Newman actually called Mendes asking if he can have the gig for SF.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 11,648
    Well there you go then.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 21,707
    Newman actually called Mendes asking if he can have the gig for SF.

    That is interesting. It is as if Elfman has to call Burton and ask him if he can please score his next movie. 😉
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Posts: 5,157
    I was confused about Quantum vs. Spectre. They certainly botched that, along with many other things in SP.
  • Posts: 1,122
    They could have played up the whole 'Quantum becoming SPECTRE' thing in a more convincing, hell even elaborate way, yes. There might even have been more dramatic potential in this idea of warring fractions of this one organisation, Blofeld being this figure who steps in and rebrands the organisation into something more ruthless and dangerous.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts: 7,258
    Two good points. They could have introduced Blofeld as an ex-partner of Mr. White, who performs a hostile takeover of Quantum and turns it into Spectre.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython Omaha, NE
    Posts: 6,696
    Easiest explanation is that they changed their name. Easy.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 6,804
    I would have preferred that Quantum be a rogue splinter organization of SPECTRE. Watch the fighting fish in “From Russia With Love”.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited September 24 Posts: 1,865
    James Bond Producers Are Focused on Figuring Out a Villain Before Casting the Next 007

    Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson, just presented with the 2022 Pioneer of the Year Award, talk MGM's future, moving on after Daniel Craig and why not to expect a scripted Bond TV series.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/james-bond-producers-are-finding-villain-007-1235225507/
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts: 7,258
    James Bond Producers Are Focused on Figuring Out a Villain Before Casting the Next 007

    Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson, just presented with the 2022 Pioneer of the Year Award, talk MGM's future, moving on after Daniel Craig and why not to expect a scripted Bond TV series.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/james-bond-producers-are-finding-villain-007-1235225507/

    Makes a lot of sense, really. The villain = the story.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Posts: 1,865
    James Bond Producers Are Focused on Figuring Out a Villain Before Casting the Next 007

    Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson, just presented with the 2022 Pioneer of the Year Award, talk MGM's future, moving on after Daniel Craig and why not to expect a scripted Bond TV series.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/james-bond-producers-are-finding-villain-007-1235225507/

    Makes a lot of sense, really. The villain = the story.

    P&W could be working on it atm ?
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    Posts: 2,923
    Newman actually called Mendes asking if he can have the gig for SF.
    James Bond Producers Are Focused on Figuring Out a Villain Before Casting the Next 007

    Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson, just presented with the 2022 Pioneer of the Year Award, talk MGM's future, moving on after Daniel Craig and why not to expect a scripted Bond TV series.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/james-bond-producers-are-finding-villain-007-1235225507/

    Makes a lot of sense, really. The villain = the story.

    P&W could be working on it atm ?

    P & W probably do the same thing with EON. Forget Barbara’s loyalty to Craig, her true loyalty is with them. Everyone must have some ideas at this point.
  • Posts: 1,122
    James Bond Producers Are Focused on Figuring Out a Villain Before Casting the Next 007

    Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson, just presented with the 2022 Pioneer of the Year Award, talk MGM's future, moving on after Daniel Craig and why not to expect a scripted Bond TV series.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/james-bond-producers-are-finding-villain-007-1235225507/

    Interesting. Sounds smart actually.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    Posts: 2,923
    007HallY wrote: »
    James Bond Producers Are Focused on Figuring Out a Villain Before Casting the Next 007

    Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson, just presented with the 2022 Pioneer of the Year Award, talk MGM's future, moving on after Daniel Craig and why not to expect a scripted Bond TV series.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/james-bond-producers-are-finding-villain-007-1235225507/

    Interesting. Sounds smart actually.

    A more planned out version of Blofeld and Spectre perhaps? We probably should expect them back in the near future.
  • Posts: 1,122
    MaxCasino wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »
    James Bond Producers Are Focused on Figuring Out a Villain Before Casting the Next 007

    Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson, just presented with the 2022 Pioneer of the Year Award, talk MGM's future, moving on after Daniel Craig and why not to expect a scripted Bond TV series.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/james-bond-producers-are-finding-villain-007-1235225507/

    Interesting. Sounds smart actually.

    A more planned out version of Blofeld and Spectre perhaps? We probably should expect them back in the near future.

    No idea. I think it might be a bit too soon though, and I'm guessing they'll want the villain as a 'lone wolf' for the first one just to get audiences settled with this new Bond. Either that or they'd really have to do something different with SPECTRE that we haven't seen before.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 11,648
    I can't see them using Spectre for a while.
  • Posts: 1,122
    If anything what's more interesting is thinking about what ideas they'll adapt from previous villains in the 'modern era' of Bond going forward. I mean, we've had Safin and Silva who were both lone psychopaths out for revenge. In a sense this idea was there with Alec Travelyan as far back as GE, and certainly him and Silva were both depicted as these dark 'mirror images' of Bond, both having been agents at one point and a match for our hero in this sense. I suppose they were going for that with Safin too, but more in a personal sense and to questionable degrees of success. As he says in the film, both are killers, enemies of SPECTRE/Blofeld, and both seem to love Madeline... again, questionable writing, but I always got the sense that Safin was the sort of villain who maybe, deep down, wanted to be Bond? Maybe there's something to that...

    That, or will we get a mad industrialist in the vein of Dominic Green or Elliot Carver? Villains who are on the surface rather small and unthreatening men, but have these sadistic tendencies and Napoleon complexes.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lagos, Nigeria
    edited September 24 Posts: 373
    If EON are paying attention to the villain, it's a good thing. Maybe they've seen that the last two villains weren't great, especially the much-hyped Safin. Maybe they can also create inventive and colourful henchmen too, which was one of the things that really made the franchise popular. Also the villain of Bond 25, was rumoured to be blind. It won't the bad, if EON brings back the idea for Bond 26. If not for the main villain, then a henchman.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Posts: 1,865
    Basically i think EON are waiting for a script before they start looking for a JB ?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 11,648
    007HallY wrote: »
    If anything what's more interesting is thinking about what ideas they'll adapt from previous villains in the 'modern era' of Bond going forward. I mean, we've had Safin and Silva who were both lone psychopaths out for revenge. In a sense this idea was there with Alec Travelyan as far back as GE, and certainly him and Silva were both depicted as these dark 'mirror images' of Bond, both having been agents at one point and a match for our hero in this sense. I suppose they were going for that with Safin too, but more in a personal sense and to questionable degrees of success. As he says in the film, both are killers, enemies of SPECTRE/Blofeld, and both seem to love Madeline... again, questionable writing, but I always got the sense that Safin was the sort of villain who maybe, deep down, wanted to be Bond? Maybe there's something to that...

    That, or will we get a mad industrialist in the vein of Dominic Green or Elliot Carver? Villains who are on the surface rather small and unthreatening men, but have these sadistic tendencies and Napoleon complexes.

    It is hard to think of a fresh take on the Bond villain. I hope they manage to come up with something good; it's really hard to come up with the baddies' plan for these type of films.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 6,804
    I would love to see a sophisticated, elegant female villain with unique, extremely threatening henchmen.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    Posts: 2,923
    talos7 wrote: »
    I would love to see a sophisticated, elegant female villain with unique, extremely threatening henchmen.

    100% agreed.
  • Posts: 1,122
    mtm wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »
    If anything what's more interesting is thinking about what ideas they'll adapt from previous villains in the 'modern era' of Bond going forward. I mean, we've had Safin and Silva who were both lone psychopaths out for revenge. In a sense this idea was there with Alec Travelyan as far back as GE, and certainly him and Silva were both depicted as these dark 'mirror images' of Bond, both having been agents at one point and a match for our hero in this sense. I suppose they were going for that with Safin too, but more in a personal sense and to questionable degrees of success. As he says in the film, both are killers, enemies of SPECTRE/Blofeld, and both seem to love Madeline... again, questionable writing, but I always got the sense that Safin was the sort of villain who maybe, deep down, wanted to be Bond? Maybe there's something to that...

    That, or will we get a mad industrialist in the vein of Dominic Green or Elliot Carver? Villains who are on the surface rather small and unthreatening men, but have these sadistic tendencies and Napoleon complexes.

    It is hard to think of a fresh take on the Bond villain. I hope they manage to come up with something good; it's really hard to come up with the baddies' plan for these type of films.

    I can see them going for one of those villain outlines I mentioned, but they'll put a different spin on it/evolve it. Again, that's what they did with Silva. Yes, it's hard coming up with a good villain scheme, and usually it'll be an indication of the tone/direction of the film.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I would love to see a sophisticated, elegant female villain with unique, extremely threatening henchmen.

    Yeah, a female villain would be great, but a proper one. So not an Elektra type who tricks Bond, or someone who has a sexual relationship with him. Just an elegant woman who is a legitimate threat and is depicted unambiguously as the antagonist of the film.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited September 24 Posts: 1,700
    talos7 wrote: »
    I would love to see a sophisticated, elegant female villain with unique, extremely threatening henchmen.
    Played with otherworldly Flemingesque weirdness by Anya Taylor-Joy.
    The villain, not the henchmen, obvs... ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 24 Posts: 11,648
    007HallY wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »
    If anything what's more interesting is thinking about what ideas they'll adapt from previous villains in the 'modern era' of Bond going forward. I mean, we've had Safin and Silva who were both lone psychopaths out for revenge. In a sense this idea was there with Alec Travelyan as far back as GE, and certainly him and Silva were both depicted as these dark 'mirror images' of Bond, both having been agents at one point and a match for our hero in this sense. I suppose they were going for that with Safin too, but more in a personal sense and to questionable degrees of success. As he says in the film, both are killers, enemies of SPECTRE/Blofeld, and both seem to love Madeline... again, questionable writing, but I always got the sense that Safin was the sort of villain who maybe, deep down, wanted to be Bond? Maybe there's something to that...

    That, or will we get a mad industrialist in the vein of Dominic Green or Elliot Carver? Villains who are on the surface rather small and unthreatening men, but have these sadistic tendencies and Napoleon complexes.

    It is hard to think of a fresh take on the Bond villain. I hope they manage to come up with something good; it's really hard to come up with the baddies' plan for these type of films.

    I can see them going for one of those villain outlines I mentioned, but they'll put a different spin on it/evolve it. Again, that's what they did with Silva. Yes, it's hard coming up with a good villain scheme, and usually it'll be an indication of the tone/direction of the film.

    It is hard, yes. I look at the recent Mission Impossible films and they've really struggled to come up with villains' plans- for the last four or so films they've all been sort of rebels who want to blow the world up to prove a point, which is a bit vague really. The films have been amazing, but really despite the baddies' plans than because of them.
    And of course the last few Bond films have all been about baddies wanting revenge for such-and-such, which is a touch samey too. They tried to do something a bit different in NTTD with M being accidentally responsible for the evil weapon, but arguably that was a bit of a bad idea as it made M look weak and a bit foolish. The previous M had made mistakes in Skyfall perhaps, but I don't think it stepped over the line as to make her look foolish.
    007HallY wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    I would love to see a sophisticated, elegant female villain with unique, extremely threatening henchmen.

    Yeah, a female villain would be great, but a proper one. So not an Elektra type who tricks Bond, or someone who has a sexual relationship with him. Just an elegant woman who is a legitimate threat and is depicted unambiguously as the antagonist of the film.

    Yeah I'm definitely up for a female villain, just for a change if nothing else. And yes, I don't want a Bond girl gone bad as Electra sort of was, I just want a proper villain who happens to be female. A Helen Mirren or someone like that.
    Actually Helen McCrory would have been a great villain (best known to Bond fans as the minister in the enquiry in Skyfall), so sad.

    A bit more diversity in the villains would be good, and not even for the sake of representation: it'd just be nice to have a bit of variation! The past five villains have all been white blokes, it's a bit samey.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Posts: 5,157
    Easiest explanation is that they changed their name. Easy.

    Yes but it's not stated as such in the film. Clearly the script needed work. Both Mendes and Logan should have been one-and-done.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited September 24 Posts: 496
    The Bond producers seem to have an issue with pushing people who actually understand Bond (Arnold, Haggis, Campbell, Hemming) out of the franchise and drawing in people who don't understand Bond (Mendes, Logan, Butterworth, Fukunaga, Waller-Bridge, Newman) for the purpose of chasing Oscars that nobody cares about anymore, anyway.
  • slide_99 wrote: »
    The Bond producers seem to have an issue with pushing people who actually understand Bond (Arnold, Haggis, Campbell, Hemming) out of the franchise and drawing in people who don't understand Bond (Mendes, Logan, Butterworth, Fukunaga, Waller-Bridge, Newman) for the purpose of chasing Oscars that nobody cares about anymore, anyway.

    Unfortunately.

  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 11,648
    slide_99 wrote: »
    The Bond producers seem to have an issue with pushing people who actually understand Bond (Arnold, Haggis, Campbell, Hemming) out of the franchise and drawing in people who don't understand Bond (Mendes, Logan, Butterworth, Fukunaga, Waller-Bridge, Newman) for the purpose of chasing Oscars that nobody cares about anymore, anyway.

    I would very much disagree that Mendes and Newman didn't get Bond; Skyfall felt way more like a Bond film than its predecessor for my money. And it was the most successful British film ever at the time, so it was hardly just chasing Oscars.
Sign In or Register to comment.