The World Is Not Enough appreciation thread

14567810»

Comments

• MI6HQ wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    I still rank it at the bottom.

Moonraker has that spot. By a wide margin, ;)

AVTAK for me, that one grinds my gears more than others

Diamonds Are Forever for me, what a big insult and disappointment.

DAF is also quite bad. What could’ve been a great tale of loss and revenge turned into elephants on slot machines and Blofeld in drag.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    MI6HQ wrote: »

Diamonds for me too. People say the funny script saves it, but I find it a total snoozefest.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited August 2022 Posts: 4,554

Diamonds for me too. People say the funny script saves it, but I find it a total snoozefest.

DAF is my guilty pleasure. Many fans like MR for the same reason. For me, the difference between DAF and MR is that DAF never takes itself seriously, whereas in MR there are moments (Corinne's death, for instance) in which Lewis Gilbert seems to be making a serious film. It never worked for me, and in the end, MR is truly distasteful.

I get the sense that almost everyone involved in making DAF was high on something. The film is so awful, from an actor's mouth not coming close to saying the words coming out: "Cai...Cai...Cairo!" to a man (or woman) in a gorilla suit chasing people at Circus Circus. Almost every scene I find myself thinking "WTF?" It's glorious.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

DAF is also quite bad. What could’ve been a great tale of loss and revenge turned into elephants on slot machines and Blofeld in drag.

It’s not meant to be a tale of loss and revenge. That would be like admonishing TSWLM for being a poor adaptation of the novel.

DAF is my guilty pleasure. Many fans like MR for the same reason. For me, the difference between DAF and MR is that DAF never takes itself seriously, whereas in MR there are moments (Corinne's death, for instance) in which Lewis Gilbert seems to be making a serious film. It never worked for me, and in the end, MR is truly distasteful.

I get the sense that almost everyone involved in making DAF was high on something. The film is so awful, from an actor's mouth not coming close to saying the words coming out: "Cai...Cai...Cairo!" to a man (or woman) in a gorilla suit chasing people at Circus Circus. Almost every scene I find myself thinking "WTF?" It's glorious.

I get that. If there was ever a poll for "which Bond film should be a musical?" I think DAF would come out on top. It's one dance number and/or fourth wall break away from exactly that.

I completely agree with your MR observation, but that's not a favourite of mine either so there's a bias there on my part. I think OP is pretty much the perfect Roger film for balancing all of those elements that MR awkwardly jumbles together.
    Maaannn, I cannot imagine NOT enjoying MR. It’s such a fun romp of a film.
  • "I thought you were the one giving her the business," is a line that always gets a laugh out of me. And that pipeline ride is a pretty cool sequence, in my opinion.
    Maaannn, I cannot imagine NOT enjoying MR. It’s such a fun romp of a film.

I feel the same about TND. Different strokes, etc.
    The only way I can imagine someone liking TND is if they grew up with it as a kid and developed Stockholm syndrome.

Luckily, as an 11 year old I was spared of that.
  • MI6HQ wrote: »

It’s not meant to be a tale of loss and revenge. That would be like admonishing TSWLM for being a poor adaptation of the novel.

Yeah but immediately after OHMSS, that was quite a mistake not to make DAF exactly that. Even if a lot of that is down to Lazenby leaving, that doesn’t mean DAF didn’t drop the ball.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    The only way I can imagine someone liking TND is if they grew up with it as a kid and developed Stockholm syndrome.

- Stockholm syndrome... Young, impressionable moviegoer. Sheltered. Inexperienced in films. Powerful filmmakers skilled in torture and manipulation. Something snaps in the victim's mind. The moviegoer falls in love with an awful film.

- How dare you... how dare you?! That piece of crap, TND? It disgusts me. You disgust me.

Elektra+slaps+Bond.gif

Just kidding, I love TND. And TWINE. And in fact most of the EON Bond films. I consider myself lucky all in all. Even if (gasp) my taste might suck!

Very funny sarcasm or moronic sincerity? You can only choose one.

"I only need one."

Scaramanga.png

Sorry, I'm in a "quotey" mood today it seems.
    mattjoes wrote: »

"I only need one."

Scaramanga.png

Sorry, I'm in a "quotey" mood today it seems.

I'm weak.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 8,025

It was not a tough decision to switch off the film during the car chase. The sad thing was that it gave me a bad impression of Bond films, turning me off from wanting to see other Bond films for years

I should have rented GOLDENEYE.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    TWINE was the first Bond movie I saw in the theater and it was a blast.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 8,034

It was not a tough decision to switch off the film during the car chase. The sad thing was that it gave me a bad impression of Bond films, turning me off from wanting to see other Bond films for years

I should have rented GOLDENEYE.

See this is where Bond gets interesting for me. Everyone's fairly unanimous in their praise for the top tier entries but everyone has such different reactions to everything considered mid-tier and lower. You consider MR a blast but I find it an awkward mishmash, and we're flipped where TND is concerned. I love the car chase, and consider its only dull note the big smile Bond gives after he's just seen his ex-girlfriend's corpse minutes beforehand. They commit similar crimes in terms of tone but TND overall is more consistent and has better action.

Most interestingly, it was my first Bond film in the cinema when I was a kid - only aged 5 - but I only came to really love it the way I do in the last decade. I didn't actually love it at the time or even in the five years afterwards. I was more interested in watching GoldenEye again or Jurassic Park.

Which is why those funny statements always make me giggle as it's a reflection of how black and white some see things.

Edit: I don't mean to derail the TWINE thread with this stuff. Sorry.
    Murdock wrote: »

I hope to watch it in a theater some day.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

I hope to watch it in a theater some day.

I'd love to be able to watch all of Brosnan's Bond movies in the theater someday, but 2 out of 4 isn't bad. :D
    edited August 2022 Posts: 8,034
    Quite sad that I missed everything post-Connery in theatres during the recent re-releases for personal reasons. I would have loved to have been able to see them all.