The Fantasy thread *Gameweek 29 deadline: Sat 16 Mar 13:30 UK time!*

Comments

He could be a great shout for the England job. Gareth Southgate's current contract runs through 2024, doesn't it? Wonder if he'll want to try coaching elsewhere eventually.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    He could be a great shout for the England job. Gareth Southgate's current contract runs through 2024, doesn't it? Wonder if he'll want to try coaching elsewhere eventually.

I am not convinced Southgate can do much more, he is a bit one note in his tactics usually plays to safe.

I will be surprised if England even reach the Quarter Finals so he really should go after the WC IMO.

I am not convinced Southgate can do much more, he is a bit one note in his tactics usually plays to safe.

I will be surprised if England even reach the Quarter Finals so he really should go after the WC IMO.

Southgate has now been in charge of England through the 2018 World Cup, The 2020 Euros (which of course was played last year), and now the 2022 World Cup. If he steps down after this tournament he's had a significant run as England manager – even more so if he manages through Euro 2024. Thinking back, I felt Sven-Göran Eriksson was England manager like forever, but he only lead the team through three tournaments.

It must be a long time since a manager lead the England national side for as long as Southgate?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Southgate has now been in charge of England through the 2018 World Cup, The 2020 Euros (which of course was played last year), and now the 2022 World Cup. If he steps down after this tournament he's had a significant run as England manager – even more so if he manages through Euro 2024. Thinking back, I felt Sven-Göran Eriksson was England manager like forever, but he only lead the team through three tournaments.

It must be a long time since a manager lead the England national side for as long as Southgate?

Southgate is in the top 5, Bobby Robson was manager for 8 years 2 more years than Southgate. that was 1982 - 1990. There have been longer reigns going back further in Englands History. Sven was 5 years though led England to 3 Tournaments and 3 quarter finals.

I am critical of Southgate despite being very successful, though he has arguably one of the best England Squads ever assembled.

Southgate is in the top 5, Bobby Robson was manager for 8 years 2 more years than Southgate. that was 1982 - 1990. There have been longer reigns going back further in Englands History. Sven was 5 years though led England to 3 Tournaments and 3 quarter finals.

I am critical of Southgate despite being very successful, though he has arguably one of the best England Squads ever assembled.

Had to look it up, and you're right! When you think of the names that followed Robson, it's quite a feat for Southgate to have been in charge that long.

I don't think it will be a surprise if Southgate sees through his current contract and equalling Robson's tenure, seeing as his side reached the final in the last tournament after all. Obviously there will be pressure to perform in the World Cup, but I think this England team is going to do really well with the players Southgate has at his disposal.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited August 2022 Posts: 2,341
    A lot very interesting games again this week.
    Hopefully Darwin starts this week as he looks in good form.

West Ham fans to throw fake bank notes at Jesse Lingard at Nottingham Forest game - Paper Talk....bizarre or what?

A lot very interesting games again this week.
    Hopefully Darwin starts this week as he looks in good form.

If Darwin starts (which isn't unlikely), he's definitely one of the players I want to bring in. Robertson has to make way for this to be possible though…
    West Ham fans to throw fake bank notes at Jesse Lingard at Nottingham Forest game - Paper Talk....bizarre or what?

Wait, what? That's really bizarre!
    I regret Wild Carding as I ended up messing around with my team late on, oh well.
    I regret Wild Carding as I ended up messing around with my team late on, oh well.

I think your team looks good, and balanced as well – which makes it easy to jump to any player that you'd want to bring in. Might be worth keeping an eye on Saliba when Tomiyasu returns. He could become a rotation issue, where Arteta might want to play either him or White alongside Gabriel.
    Here are the gameweek 2 captains!
    Haaland: 11
    Salah: 4
    Jesus: 2
    De Bruyne: 1
    Son: 1

After scoring twice last weekend, we see many managers jumping at the chance to captain Haaland, including 11 managers in our league. There's no gameweek without someone captaining Salah though, and he's backed by four managers. Good luck everyone!

I think your team looks good, and balanced as well – which makes it easy to jump to any player that you'd want to bring in. Might be worth keeping an eye on Saliba when Tomiyasu returns. He could become a rotation issue, where Arteta might want to play either him or White alongside Gabriel.

Erikson is a total punt, going back to his old club.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 23,105
    So far so good for me Jesus goal and (Gundogan goal) Haaland assist in on going games.

I switched from Nunez to Jesus late on.
    City get second KDB goal, Foden assist.
    Jesus gets second, glad I changed my mind about him lol
    City running riot Foden goal KDB assist.

Come on Haaland get in on the act.
    Leicester possible penalty?

Not given phew, clean sheet still intact.

Could be a punt that pays off!
    ________

Can't believe Foden didn't play to Haaland in the first half…

________

Unfortunately they don't air the 3pm games in the UK. Did you get Haaland in?
    I am thinking I should have benched Wilson for Schar the way that game is going.
    Saliba OG then a Jesus assist kind of helps me.
    50 points with four players left, not bad considering Saliba's OG. Martinelli's late goal was a huge bonus for me.
    Come on United.... Not sure about United's second away kit.

Need a win and some semblance of how we played in pre season no more reverting Ole Ball.
    Brentford goal, clanger by De Gea, Da Silva goal.
    Maguire lucky not to be sent off.

Brentford free kick in dangerous area...

Missed TF...
    OMG major error 2 - 0 to Brentford, god we are in serious trouble.

SHOCKING!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Shocker from De Gea for that second goal especially. Passing the ball to a player who is clearly not in a position to receive it. Did the same last week to Fred but we got lucky then; not so lucky now.

Playing out from the back is only a good idea when you have players who can actually pull it off.
    Rangnik learnt very quickly that these players can't play out from the back and press particularly well., I wonder how long it will take for Ten Hag to abandon his philosophy.

We have to stick with Hag though he needs a total overhaul of the squad.
    This is really bad 3 - 0.
    4 - 0 disaster. I feel sick.

________

Unfortunately they don't air the 3pm games in the UK. Did you get Haaland in?

Had him already, but it didn't pay off putting the armband on him. Got an assist at least.

Is De Gea still the highest-paid goalkeeper in the world?