The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

Mathis1 wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Another superb write up @Mathis1.
    Yeah DAD remains my least favorite Bond film sadly.
    In fact I might say the early 2000s could be my least favorite era in cinema history.

Thanks mate! I watched it on T.V., and had to chuckle, as the channel cut off the film as Madonnas theme started again for the end credits! Even they couldn't stomach to listen to it again!! 🤣

I can recall Star Magazine having a little blurb about Madonna doing the title song for TLD. Obviously it never happened, but I could have pictured '80's era Madonna doing a Bond theme back then. By the time of DAD it was too late IMO. I think her song was even more inappropriate for Bond than THE EXPERIENCE OF LOVE.

In fact I might say the early 2000s could be my least favorite era in cinema history.

Thanks mate! I watched it on T.V., and had to chuckle, as the channel cut off the film as Madonnas theme started again for the end credits! Even they couldn't stomach to listen to it again!! 🤣

I can recall Star Magazine having a little blurb about Madonna doing the title song for TLD. Obviously it never happened, but I could have pictured '80's era Madonna doing a Bond theme back then. By the time of DAD it was too late IMO. I think her song was even more inappropriate for Bond than THE EXPERIENCE OF LOVE.

Totally agree mate!
    Been awhile since I watched a Bond. I'm back to doing overnights. It's my day off and I really should be in bed this time of morning.
    However, I'm in the mood for

NO TIME TO DIE

in honor of all the awards it's been receiving.

The very popular Cuba section I feel lives up to it's reputation.
    This scene in incredibly fun. It's nice to see Bond enjoying some espionage.
    ......and every agent of SPECTRE is now dead. Enjoy the next few days, James.

"Your time will come".

Sorry, I had to bring up DAD one more time. :D

This scene in Cuba reminds me a little of that LARK commercial Dalton did in the early '90's.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 15,818
    I love the competitive rapport between Nomi and Bond.
    She's fantastic. Paloma is amazing as well.

Jeffrey Wright might be my favorite Felix at this point.
    Valdo is pretty obnoxious. He's more annoying than Truman-Lodge.
    And Felix is down for the count. :(
    James, the grim reaper (as portrayed by Christopher Lee on Saturday Night Live) is after you next.............. :D
    Great Bond is back moment here as we get the Dalton Aston Martin.
    This section is wonderful.
    Bond is back and nobody gives a sh*t. Especially the security guard.
  • ToTheRight wrote: »

Aside from Ghost World (which was very original), it was when filmmakers started trying to imitate each other too much. Shaky or "steady" cam....comedies started becoming unfunny and more annoying with tropes like Will Ferrell instead of Jim Carrey.

Movies like Mememto took advantage of the audience perspective and made them think too hard from the standpoint of the director rather than providing thoughtful and smarter scripts. The dialogue started going downhill from there as the rise of superhero movies and CGI would take over while smaller budget films were gradually getting let go by major studios.

I don't know what I regret more, the hard-earned money I paid for the movie ticket or the time I wasted watching it after reading an article in the Hollywood Reporter hyping up DAD. That movies was an utter mistake in every way.

Sitcoms on tv began to suffer in lieu of reality television for cheaper budgets and no studio audiences or laugh tracks. The soul of entertainment began to die.

Aside from Ghost World (which was very original), it was when filmmakers started trying to imitate each other too much. Shaky or "steady" cam....comedies started becoming unfunny and more annoying with tropes like Will Ferrell instead of Jim Carrey.

Movies like Mememto took advantage of the audience perspective and made them think too hard from the standpoint of the director rather than providing thoughtful and smarter scripts. The dialogue started going downhill from there as the rise of superhero movies and CGI would take over while smaller budget films were gradually getting let go by major studios.

I don't know what I regret more, the hard-earned money I paid for the movie ticket or the time I wasted watching it after reading an article in the Hollywood Reporter hyping up DAD. That movies was an utter mistake in every way.

Sitcoms on tv began to suffer in lieu of reality television for cheaper budgets and no studio audiences or laugh tracks. The soul of entertainment began to die.

Jesus mate, go and watch QOS and cheer yourself up! 😅
    (Though I do agree about Will Ferrell, painfully unfunny!, Though he did appear in a movie called 'Stranger than Fiction', under Marc Forsters direction, which was pretty entertaining!)
    Sadly, I dosed off or tuned out for a moment during the NTTD 3rd act.
    Heck. I missed the unintentionally hilarious bad CGI scene where Bond gets obliterated.
    Oh well. Could've been worse. Could've been the para surfing bit.
    Heck. I missed the unintentionally hilarious bad CGI scene where Bond gets obliterated.

That is bad! Having watched it again, that para surfing sequence is really jaw droppingly bad, that Babs and Co. were happy to allow that scene go out is baffling!!

That is bad! Having watched it again, that para surfing sequence is really jaw droppingly bad, that Babs and Co. were happy to allow that scene go out is baffling!!

I suppose that's what happens when someone like Lee Tamahori is given too much creative license to do whatever they want with Bond.
    Watching DN, it occurs to me that, though I think all six did a fine job in the role, I only think of Connery and Moore as being the real deal. Th result of being a child of the '60s and '70s.
    I feel like it's been ages since I last watched a Bond.
    So now it's time for

FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE

Kerim Bey and Nadja Regin are about to get down.
    Back to the salt mines..................

BOOM.
    I love the underground bit with the periscope. Great scene. Pure espionage delight.
    I love Vavra. The gypsy camp battle is wonderful.
    Vavra thanks you for saving his life. You are now his son.
    Green figs, yogurt, coffee very black.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited April 2022 Posts: 45,489

Vavra Jr knows what he likes.

Vavra Jr knows what he likes.

Good one! :D
    I like the battery in the camera microphone.
    Now we get to my favorite section of the film on the train.............
    Mr Somerset! Mr Somerset!!!
    Bond slaps Tanya and later gets slapped by Grant. This movie is decades ahead of it's time as slapping has made a HUGE comeback in 2022. :D
    Bond barely glances at the menu and knows exactly what to order.
    I never noticed before how tiny that table is where Bond, Grant and Tanya dine.
    Riveted still during the third act.
    Great viewing of this classic!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Six decades later, it s still a top three Bond.

Still Connerys finest hour as Bond, imo! And its always been my favourite of the novels (despite Bond not appearing for a good duration of the book!!!)

Six decades later, it s still a top three Bond.

It never lets me down.

Still Connerys finest hour as Bond, imo! And its always been my favourite of the novels (despite Bond not appearing for a good duration of the book!!!)

Great novel. Always loved it.
    Watching Octopussy right now.

Never noticed the black calf chasing Vijay and Bond's auto-rickshaw. I's a funny detail.
    The last times I've see Jeremy Bulloch as Smithers, I always think: "Well, here's THE Mandalorian". Fortunately, the producers of the show knew that.