"Just One More Thing..." - The COLUMBO Discussion Thread

1171819202123»

Comments

  • Posts: 4,854
    "COLUMBO: "
    "KILLER: "
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 15,063
  • Posts: 4,854
    Columbo catching up with the times!

    I must get back to watching those Columbo episodes I haven't seen. I've got a list and everything. List's right here. See? It's in my handkerchief.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 15,063
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Columbo catching up with the times!

    I must get back to watching those Columbo episodes I haven't seen. I've got a list and everything. List's right here. See? It's in my handkerchief.

    Yes, fun to see the good lieutenant tackle 21st Century issues. The contemporary world was something he always tried to keep up with.

    Which ones haven't you seen, @mattjoes? I've seen them all a few times over; some a good few times over! I should be able to guide you to the best episodes you've left to see. :)
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 501
    I guess it only makes sense, but until I came onto these boards I had no idea that COLUMBO had any fans overseas. It was good to find out. I've loved it since i was young. My mother was a big fan from the start.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited November 2021 Posts: 15,063
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I guess it only makes sense, but until I came onto these boards I had no idea that COLUMBO had any fans overseas. It was good to find out. I've loved it since i was young. My mother was a big fan from the start.

    Yes, it had a big export market and was certainly very popular in the UK where it was shown around the same time I believe. My late father was a fan of the show too so maybe that's where I got the bug, not that I needed any encouragement!

    In fact, Peter Falk mentions in his memoir that he arrived in some remote village once in the developing world and the people there knew him as Lt. Columbo as they saw the show on the village TV.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 4,854
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Which ones haven't you seen, @mattjoes? I've seen them all a few times over; some a good few times over! I should be able to guide you to the best episodes you've left to see. :)

    There actually are quite a few I haven't seen, some in the 70s and some in the 90s. I will watch them all, however. I just want to get some movies out of the way before returning to Columbo. I've got all the seasons on DVD.

    One that I want to see is Make Me a Perfect Murder. I've seen a good chunk of it but not the whole thing. The interplay between Trish Van Devere and Peter Falk is superb. I also have to watch the first one with George Hamilton. And, yes, No Time to Die!

    Columbo is such an exciting show to me, as much as a Bond film. No action whatsoever, but the intellectual cat-and-mouse game can be just as thrilling.

    Outside of Columbo, I also want to watch Griffin and Phoenix starring Falk and Jill Clayburgh, an actress whose work I've wanting to see. I think I've only seen her in Silver Streak.


    Birdleson wrote: »
    I guess it only makes sense, but until I came onto these boards I had no idea that COLUMBO had any fans overseas. It was good to find out. I've loved it since i was young. My mother was a big fan from the start.

    I remember the 90s episodes aired on Thursdays at 11 pm here in Chile. That's how I first got to know Columbo. I remember Columbo Goes to College, A Bird in the Hand and the second George Hamilton episode as the earliest episodes I saw.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 4,854
    3lQWfPD.png

    7H0BP3z.png
  • mattjoes wrote: »
    3lQWfPD.png

    7H0BP3z.png

    Great poster I would frame that.
  • Posts: 4,854
    Those are major words, thank you, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 16,360
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Those are major words, thank you, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns.

    One thing that is missing from my movie room full of memorabilia is a Columbo framed poster (not including my Cigar Box set which is hidden on a shelf).
  • Posts: 4,854
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Those are major words, thank you, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns.

    One thing that is missing from my movie room full of memorabilia is a Columbo framed poster (not including my Cigar Box set which is hidden on a shelf).

    What other memorabilia do you have? Columbo or otherwise.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 15,063
    mattjoes wrote: »
    3lQWfPD.png

    7H0BP3z.png

    Did you make that, @mattjoes? It's very impressive. One of my favourite Columbo episodes and the one from Jack Cassidy that I enjoy the most.
  • Posts: 4,854
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    3lQWfPD.png

    7H0BP3z.png

    Did you make that, @mattjoes? It's very impressive. One of my favourite Columbo episodes and the one from Jack Cassidy that I enjoy the most.

    I did! Thank you. This poster is a "sequel" of sorts to the one I did for Death Lends a Hand. I think I will make more in the future.

    Agreed on all counts about Now You See Him.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited November 2021 Posts: 15,063
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    3lQWfPD.png

    7H0BP3z.png

    Did you make that, @mattjoes? It's very impressive. One of my favourite Columbo episodes and the one from Jack Cassidy that I enjoy the most.

    I did! Thank you. This poster is a "sequel" of sorts to the one I did for Death Lends a Hand. I think I will make more in the future.

    Agreed on all counts about Now You See Him.

    Ah, yes! I remember Columbophile used your Death Lends a Hand poster on Twitter a few years ago and I pointed out that you were the artist. I thought the style looked familiar! Death Lends a Hand is my favourite Columbo episode. I'm a big Robert Culp fan. A great, quite underrated actor in my book.

    Now You See Him would be in my Top Ten Columbo episodes. In fact, it's really the only Season 5 episode I would class as excellent. There was a lot of experimentation during that season and the only other episode I really like from that period is A Case of Immunity.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 16,360
    mattjoes wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Those are major words, thank you, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns.

    One thing that is missing from my movie room full of memorabilia is a Columbo framed poster (not including my Cigar Box set which is hidden on a shelf).

    What other memorabilia do you have? Columbo or otherwise.

    Mainly James Bond and DC comics related items, years ago I used to deal in antiques and collectables. I have tried to go minimalist though certain things I will keep hold off. A Columbo poster would look great in my movie room.
  • Mainly James Bond and DC comics...

    My life as young main in a nut shell.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 16,360
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Mainly James Bond and DC comics...

    My life as young main in a nut shell.

    I had a much larger collection than I have now though in my 20's I went through a phase of disgarding items which I continue to regret 20 years later, some items I should never have got rid off mainly Fleming Books I had multiple copies of every novel, boxes full of them.

  • All my childhood possessions were gone by my 20s, through moves, divorce, floods.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 15,063
  • edited January 2 Posts: 16,360
    Dragonpol wrote: »

    Some great names there, Lloyd was very memorable in Hitchcocks Saboteur, certainly during the fantastic set piece atop the Statue of Liberty, excellent film. I forgot Norman Lloyd was in Columbo, the the series of films has a phenomenal guest cast list.

    Willian Smith of cause played Conan's father to fellow body builder Arnie in Conan the Barbarian and Bond allumini Frank McRae starred with Arnie in The Last Action Hero.

    Jessica Walter talented actress she was the original bunny boiler minus the bunny in Play Misty for Me, one of the best films in that genre.

    Dean Stockwell if I remember correctly was a child actor though for my generation most remembered as Al in Quantum Leap and Married to the Mob with Michelle Pffiefer.
Sign In or Register to comment.