Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    AceHole wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    One of my top 5 . He looks the part, can act , is a perfect age and has a perfect level of public recognition.

gVcPxo1.jpg

One of my favourites. Thing is, being great on paper won't mean a thing if he doesn't work on-screen, and we just don't know until we see him play a tougher role.

Meh... forever the little lad from About A Boy, to me.

Good enough actor, but not enough HEFT, not enough EDGE. Which, incidentally, is exactly what Oscar Isaac would bring to the to role...

And large numbers of people have no memory of him as a child actor. So are only actors who began their careers as adults to be considered?

Are you willfully ignoring the actual reasons I don't approve of his candidacy (which I state in the second paragraph) & being a smart-alec, or did you simply not see that part ?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, you see :)

Smart Alec? Not in the least, simply focusing on something that you did say, in fact it was the first point of your post.

Also, Edgy is over emphasized these days and is often resulting in brooding , angst ridden characters. That is becoming tiresome.
  • Hugh Grant would have been good. He has a well-spoken voice!

Bond should have a commanding voice, be well-mannered and unshaken. The opposite of edgy. Craig said to make it fly so more of an extravaganza this time.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,727
    One of my top 5 . He looks the part, can act , is a perfect age and has a perfect level of public recognition.

gVcPxo1.jpg

One of my favourites. Thing is, being great on paper won't mean a thing if he doesn't work on-screen, and we just don't know until we see him play a tougher role.

Meh... forever the little lad from About A Boy, to me.

Good enough actor, but not enough HEFT, not enough EDGE. Which, incidentally, is exactly what Oscar Isaac would bring to the to role...

And large numbers of people have no memory of him as a child actor. So are only actors who began their careers as adults to be considered?

Are you willfully ignoring the actual reasons I don't approve of his candidacy (which I state in the second paragraph) & being a smart-alec, or did you simply not see that part ?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, you see :)

Smart Alec? Not in the least, simply focusing on something that you did say, in fact it was the first point of your post.

Also, Edgy is over emphasized these days and is often resulting in brooding , angst ridden characters. That is becoming tiresome.

I get your point re. the current interpretation of 'edgy' acting being a bit too angst ridden - though with 'edge' I was referring to an actor having the ability to convey a dangerous energy, give off the vibe that despite the seemingly cool and collected exterior they can actually be a cold-blooded killer if needs be.
    What Connery, Dalton and Craig had, and Moore and Brosnan did not, basically.

Hoult does not project this, but I'm willing to be proven wrong if he is given a shot at it...
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Hugh Grant would have been good. He has a well-spoken voice!

Bond should have a commanding voice, be well-mannered and unshaken. The opposite of edgy. Craig said to make it fly so more of an extravaganza this time.

Grant is more Johnny English than Bond.
    I definitely want an actor who can be convincing as a professional assassin , who projects confidence and has a swagger, but I also want someone who looks like he’s enjoying life and retains a touch of adolescent impulsiveness and playfulness. Connery, Lazenby , Moore and Brosnan to varying degrees pulled this off, with Connery being the strongest., Dalton and Craig, not so much. Although I like both.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Hoult is screentest material.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Benny wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    DC's tenure has made EoN far more aware of talent being the n.1 priority - they will want a lead actor who is a strong actor first - and 'looks like Bond needs to look' second.

So there is little point in posting pics of guys who look like a decent fancy-dress-party James Bond, as Babs & Michael's process probably won't be like that.

Exactly, yes.

Especially if it's an actor who's got a ciggie on the go. No way we're going to see a Bond smoking again.
    I was thinking Oscar Isaac is an actor who possess a lot of Bondian qualities to me. I think his central american background could be a factor, and I've not seen him pull off a British accent at anytime. And with any good Bond, at 5'9" he's clearly on the smaller side.

He’s absolutely fantastic and I’d love it if they could get someone like him. He’d never do it I’m sure, and I must admit I’d probably prefer a genuine British person, but I’d be happy to be persuaded.

gVcPxo1.jpg

Yep, he remains one of the most likely candidates for my money; wide range of interesting parts and bags of movie experience.
  • talos7 wrote: »

gVcPxo1.jpg

While Aiden Turner remains my favorite to take up the tuxedo. Nicolous Holt is climbing up the ladder for me. Another one of my favorites in the Hoult age range is Tom Bateman.

Ben Starr is a really under the radar prospect for me. But, I cant find his age range like Tuner looks younger though.

gVcPxo1.jpg

He should drive an AM Valhalla if he gets the role. ;)

gVcPxo1.jpg
    Definitively my favorite.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Ugh he has such a boyish beta face. This guy 10 times over him:

1200px-Theo_James_March_18%2C_2014_%28cropped%29.jpg
    Forced to pick 3 from which the next Bond would be chosen, at the moment they are

Aidan Turner
    Nicholas Hoult
    Jack Lowden

With Theo James as a 4th

Of course this is subject to change
    Question: can any of them look manly without the beard or stubble? Not that they all look manly with, mind you...
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Question: can any of them look manly without the beard or stubble? Not that they all look manly with, mind you...

Like Brosnan in Goldeneye?

I need to re-read Bond's description in FRWL. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a beard. Yet bearded actors seem to be the top choices to replace Craig. Maybe Kris Kristofferson should be Bond?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Interesting fact: NSNA was the final film Connery made without facial hair :)

Like Brosnan in Goldeneye?

Granted, Pierce was not the most robust, masculine or 'alpha' 007, but he was utterly convincing as an agent who charmed his way through women - I mean even plenty of straight blokes fancy him, for heaven's sake (not a problem, just pointing out that Brosnan's appeal went far beyond masculinity :> ) !
    Hoult does not have this, sorry.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    He's probably a better actor though.
    He's probably a better actor though.

True, but without masculine presence, masculine charisma - whatever you want to call it - a good actor cannot nail this part.

I have maintained that the two pre-requisites, before we even look at looks/hair colour etc., are:
    1. Excellent acting skills
    2. (Somewhat old-fashioned male) Charisma

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't have any reason to believe he can't do that. Many of his roles have involved youthful nervousness, yes, but as he's doing different parts he's shown that he can move beyond that.

I think older actors often use beards to disguise a softening jawline.

Brosnan was not the most masculine Bond, but even at his worst he was more manly than many of the actors mentioned here.
    I don't have any reason to believe he can't do that. Many of his roles have involved youthful nervousness, yes, but as he's doing different parts he's shown that he can move beyond that.

Still very boy-ish, don't see enough sex-appeal. This will be key, both of Babs' previous Bonds (since she was producing - I know she didn't cast PB) have had this, in a very different way.

Charisma and sex-appeal outweigh colour, ethnicity or whatever you want to call it.
    We have to believe that this man has an instant effect on women, and men for that matter.
    Hoult just doesn't.

@ the Ladies & Gentlemen who prefer gentlemen on here - feel free to disagree :-?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2021 Posts: 14,861

I think older actors often use beards to disguise a softening jawline.

Oh he did a few with just a 'tasche I think (Untouchables leaps to mind): he just liked a furry face!
  • They have beards because they're scruffy. Or to disguise shaving cuts. Bond is a disciplined soldier type.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Hoult is a better fit for this character:
    8688457_0.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Just looks like a man to me.

nicholas+hoult+the+banker.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Just looks like a man to me.

nicholas+hoult+the+banker.jpg

But try to picture him with that red suit and white cap, crawling on the floor. It would work.
    People are a bit harsh on people, aren’t they?
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Univex wrote: »
    People are a bit harsh on people, aren’t they?

Internet's going to internet.