Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    talos7 wrote: »
    Did Dalton screentest? I seem to remember reading that he did not? That could be a false memory.
    He did!
    E7ZUeNKXIAMRd0u.jpg

THAT is James Bond.
    Dalton was the most no-brainer piece of casting in movie history, on a par with Christopher Reeve in 1978’s Superman.
    AceHole wrote: »
    Did Dalton screentest? I seem to remember reading that he did not? That could be a false memory.
    He did!
    E7ZUeNKXIAMRd0u.jpg

THAT is James Bond.
    Dalton was the most no-brainer piece of casting in movie history, on a par with Christopher Reeve in 1978’s Superman.

Hear, hear!
    So much Dalton love from almost every fan! Really happy to see that.
    Univex wrote: »
    He did!
    E7ZUeNKXIAMRd0u.jpg

THAT is James Bond.

Hear, hear!

I do understand that his take on 007 wasn’t for everybody.
    Timothy, with his earnest thespian approach, was never a populist choice (Pierce was, exactly that), and I’d say that to use a rock comparison Dalton is the 2-disc prog-rock concept album to Brosnan’s very successful 10-song pop album. Not for everybody.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    THAT is James Bond.
    100%. Virtually inarguable, I think.

Age is going to have a lot to do with who gets the part. Are they going for a younger or older Bond. I think you have to keep the Craig physique going forward. It makes Bond much more believable as a killer.
    He did!
    E7ZUeNKXIAMRd0u.jpg

THAT is James Bond.

Hear, hear!

I do understand that his take on 007 wasn’t for everybody.
    Timothy, with his earnest thespian approach, was never a populist choice (Pierce was, exactly that), and I’d say that to use a rock comparison Dalton is the 2-disc prog-rock concept album to Brosnan’s very successful 10-song pop album. Not for everybody.

I love Brosnan. But I do love Paul McCartney more than John Lennon, so... :P

But Dalton rules. That's a fact ;)
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    I rest my case
    01A9-1XAQ.jpg

a1eacadcb953bf80dcf186576056385e.jpg
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 6,677
    lol, indeed. Turner would be perfect. Not as perfect as Dalton was, though.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I rest my case
    01A9-1XAQ.jpg

Shocker @JeremyBondon ;)
    He does indeed look the part. But, can he get the part?
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    I've always enjoyed Dalton's Bond but having just watched TLD again last week for the first time in ages I'd forgotten just how brilliant he was in the role. The performance is terrific. In particular the Pushkin scene, both scenes with M, the chemistry with Q you'd think they'd done several films together and the defection/assassination scene at the beginning are standouts.
    He was just cast at the wrong time. The audience wasn't ready I feel for his performance after cuddly Roger in more comedic films. He was doing DC before DC was.
    If Bond 6 can be in his mould, I'd be happy with that.
    On the whole be audition thing, I don't understand why the successful ones aren't in the public domain. They were successful in getting the role so can't be embarrassing or liable for litigation surely. Why are they so private, does anyone know?
    Maybe they've just been lost!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2021 Posts: 14,957
    I rest my case

That’s what someone says when they state their (repeated) point for the very final time ;)
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Turner is screentest material.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,318
    (delete please)
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,318
    Benny wrote: »

Shocker @JeremyBondon ;)
    He does indeed look the part. But, can he get the part?

Well, we'll have to wait and see about that dear Benny :) If Barbara was so adamant about Craig, she should definitely give Turner the chance to properly audition.

mtm wrote: »
    I rest my case

That’s what someone says when they state their (repeated) point for the very final time ;)

Well rejoice @mtm, for I like to be active after getting some rest. The case will truly rest after Turner (hopefully) gets the part.

• I rest my case
    01A9-1XAQ.jpg

I've always thought Turner gives off Dalton vibes
    Turner is in with a shot and I wouldn't be averse to the idea. He has some 'edge' to him, which I think is important. He was solid in Christie's 'And then there were none'

But aren't we expecting someone younger (30-35) to take over...?
    (...) aren't we expecting someone younger (30-35) to take over...?

God, I hope not.

God, I hope not.

Not sure I share your concern. Sean was 31 when they filmed DN, he and George are examples that not all handsome fellas need to grow into their looks and can pass for late-30's when younger...
  • AceHole wrote: »
    Yes I do expect a "younger" actor in this age range. Considering B26 won't likely go into production before 2023-2024 at least and that a three-year gap between each installment could be the norm afterwards, Eon won't probably pick a little known actor, close to his mid-forties when his first movie will be released. I know Moore was 45 when shooting LALD, but not only he was already pretty famous and thus appeared as a viable option to breathe new life into the series, the gap between each film was shorter.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    A starting age in the 33 to 37 seems right.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    As much as Turner is my personal choice for Bond #7, I think he would have had a better chance if Daniel left after Spectre.
    I suspect EON want a younger man (early 30's) hopefully Turner gets a screentest
  • Jordo007 wrote: »
    As much as Turner is my personal choice for Bond #7, I think he would have had a better chance if Daniel left after Spectre.
    The same. Turner could have been a very serious contender if Craig left after Spectre: BBC's And Then There Were None was just released and he really appeared at the time as the right man for the role, with articles in tabloids about him... Six years have passed since and I don't think he perpetuated this popular success making him not only a recognizable name, but also a favorite (as oppose let's say to Moore in the 60s).
  • manovermanover uk
    Its still a shame that Dalton didn't do a third and even a fourth bond.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 6,677

God, I hope not.

Not sure I share your concern. Sean was 31 when they filmed DN, he and George are examples that not all handsome fellas need to grow into their looks and can pass for late-30's when younger...

Indeed, although those were very different times, and I dare to say that many people in their 30s looked like they were well into their 40s. But I do agree that someone between 33 and 40 would be fine, given he had the rest of the appropriate characteristics.

Theo James, for example, is 36, but has looked the same for the last decade, and I reckon he'll still look the same for the next decade. Some people just age well and slow.
    Yes I do expect a "younger" actor in this age range. Considering B26 won't likely go into production before 2023-2024 at least and that a three-year gap between each installment could be the norm afterwards, Eon won't probably pick a little known actor, close to his mid-forties when his first movie will be released. I know Moore was 45 when shooting LALD, but not only he was already pretty famous and thus appeared as a viable option to breathe new life into the series, the gap between each film was shorter.

Moore was also meant to be a transitional Bond, if I'm not mistaken. Didn't they consider replacing him for TSWLM? Ironic that before Craig he became the Bond with the longest tenure. Compare it to Dalton who ended up being a transitional Bond of sorts, albeit accidentally. Even Brosnan got his tenure cut short.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Ludovico wrote: »

Moore was also meant to be a transitional Bond, if I'm not mistaken. Didn't they consider replacing him for TSWLM? Ironic that before Craig he became the Bond with the longest tenure. Compare it to Dalton who ended up being a transitional Bond of sorts, albeit accidentally. Even Brosnan got his tenure cut short.

I believe Moore had a 3-films contract.

Yes but I've read somewhere (it might not be accurate info) that due to TMWTGG they thought maybe they needed somebody else as Bond. Even if it was not the case, they were considering replacing him with FYEO onwards. And he carried on for three more films after MR. Neither Dalton nor Brosnan had this chance. That said, I think the replacement of Dalton and Brosnan was unavoidable at that point and it was the right thing to do.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Yes but I've read somewhere (it might not be accurate info) that due to TMWTGG they thought maybe they needed somebody else as Bond. Even if it was not the case, they were considering replacing him with FYEO onwards. And he carried on for three more films after MR. Neither Dalton nor Brosnan had this chance. That said, I think the replacement of Dalton and Brosnan was unavoidable at that point and it was the right thing to do.

I read in 1978 that the producers were trying to get Connery back.
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    Yes but I've read somewhere (it might not be accurate info) that due to TMWTGG they thought maybe they needed somebody else as Bond.
    The production of TSWL was certainly a nightmare and there's probably a lot of things we haven't heard of yet, but I never read anything about Moore's remplacement. Sure Michael Billington was at the time an alternative in case Moore was unable to return, but from the start the movie was thought of as a course correction for this new era.
    Yes but I've read somewhere (it might not be accurate info) that due to TMWTGG they thought maybe they needed somebody else as Bond.
    The production of TSWL was certainly a nightmare and there's probably a lot of things we haven't heard of yet, but I never read anything about Moore's remplacement. Sure Michael Billington was at the time an alternative in case Moore was unable to return, but from the start the movie was thought of as a course correction for this new era.

Probably it was more this, but nevertheless Moore was not meant to be Bond for that long.