NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

matt_u wrote: »
    When Bond puts his jumper around Mathilde, kisses Swann saying I have to finish it... For us... I'll be right back and then goes total berserk mode killing everyone around him - with Zimmer going full Zimmer - while telling M what's right to do shouting FIRE ON MY MARK in order to save the world from oblivion it's just INSANELY cool and arguably the best "hero moment" in the franchise, if not ever.

NTTD cementifies James Bond as the ultimate action true hero.

The only thing I've really been struggling with about this film is what my favourite bit of it is; that moment that I've bolded might be it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    When Bond puts his jumper around Mathilde, kisses Swann saying I have to finish it... For us... I'll be right back and then goes total berserk mode killing everyone around him - with Zimmer going full Zimmer - while telling M what's right to do shouting FIRE ON MY MARK in order to save the world from oblivion it's just INSANELY cool and arguably the best "hero moment" in the franchise, if not ever.

The only thing I've really been struggling with about this film is what my favourite bit of it is; that moment that I've bolded might be it.

This very well could be it for me too. That's easily the strongest finale of the Craig era, I'd say, exactly the sort of thing I've been wanting to see during his tenure.
    Certainly beats the slow motion 5 hours long finale of Spectre.

What, it was 50mn?
  • matt_u wrote: »

Love this too. I just don't like how they cut to Nomi mid kiss. Feels so awkward. Would rather have had a shot of Mathilde's reaction if they wanted something there at all. But his transition from his look of content watching his family ride off to steely determination and "Q, talk to me!" is epic.
    BlondeBond wrote: »

Love this too. I just don't like how they cut to Nomi mid kiss. Feels so awkward. Would rather have had a shot of Mathilde's reaction if they wanted something there at all. But his transition from his look of content watching his family ride off to steely determination and "Q, talk to me!" is epic.

Yeah, that shot of Bond looking pridefully at his family for as long as possible before rocketing off to BE James Bond one last time is going to be something of a piece of iconography for the franchise in years to come. It'll make out of context appearances in montages and the like for ages.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,343

Yeah, that shot of Bond looking pridefully at his family for as long as possible before rocketing off to BE James Bond one last time is going to be something of a piece of iconography for the franchise in years to come. It'll make out of context appearances in montages and the like for ages.

100%!

I saw the film six times and that particular moment is absolute gold. Also, Zimmer's reprise of Billie's song when he kisses her is perfection.

Definitely my favourite moment of the film.

Swann and Mathilde fading into the light while he's looking at them is amazing as well. Kudos to Cary Fukunaga.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    But his transition from his look of content watching his family ride off to steely determination and "Q, talk to me!" is epic.
    Yes, indeed. Craig's ability to physically convey Bond's inner steeliness and determination is unparalleled. You can see when the armour goes on.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

100%!

I saw the film six times and that particular moment is absolute gold. Also, Zimmer's reprise of Billie's song when he kisses her is perfection.

Swann and Mathilde fading into the light while he's looking at them is amazing as well. Kudos to Cary Fukunaga.

I'll throw my hat in with those who love this moment. Looking forward to watching the film at home in the next day or so. The longshot we get must also come pretty quickly after this moment? So brilliant. I love how a deafened Bond kind of bookends the action in the film too; we get it once when Vesper's grave explodes at the beginning, and once again on his ascent up the stairs. Thought those moments were handled well with the sound design and everything.
  • matt_u wrote: »

100%!

I'll throw my hat in with those who love this moment. Looking forward to watching the film at home in the next day or so. The longshot we get must also come pretty quickly after this moment? So brilliant. I love how a deafened Bond kind of bookends the action in the film too; we get it once when Vesper's grave explodes at the beginning, and once again on his ascent up the stairs. Thought those moments were handled well with the sound design and everything.

Yep. Also love the bookends of Bond's expression watching Madeleine leave on the train and watching her leave with Mathilde on the boat.
  • Bueno1694Bueno1694 My James Bond Games' Playthroughs: linktr.ee/Xtreemo
    This is how the film should've actually ended.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2021 Posts: 12,459
    Love this film, including the ending we got. It was so very, very well done.
    So much could have gone wrong. Huge relief we had Cary helming this one.
    And that they only tried this kind of story with Daniel Craig as Bond. It really works.
    There are a few Bond films that are very memorable for me, so strong. This one is at the top for me.

AND ... have you all seen this photo already? New for me. I really like this one.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    zb007 wrote: »
    Imagine a Bond movie where they throw away all the recognizable tropes. For example: No MI6 office. Bond gets his orders from a random contact in every film at a new location and picks up a package of gadgets rather than deal with Q. That’s just the tip of the iceberg.

Thats not a bond film though is it if you take everything away that makes it just like every other action film

A lot of people felt that way about CR when they took away the Q, Moneypenny, gadgets, etc.
    Hey, here's this actress ...

How many supporting/minor character actors from CR through SP were in NTTD?
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    edited November 2021 Posts: 357
    neila83 wrote: »
    Yes I see that reply, why should it change my mind? This person seems to think because they found one quote that contradicts the others, that happens to support THEIR opinion, that is the only one to be considered and we can dismiss the others. I suppose it's typical of the internet age where people ignore all evidence on something, however strong, unless it supports what they already think, and then they will defend it to the death, however weak and poorly constructed..

The person who wrote the original article chose three quotes to support his view and the person replying chose two quotes to support their view

It's the same thing, yet somehow only the one you don't agree with is in the wrong?

There are plenty other quotes from Fleming to support the fatalism in Bond, and that he felt differently at different times is rather normal no? Especially for someone with a melancholic disposition. Spends time mulling the morality of being a killer, his own probably early mortality, drinks to dull all this, seeks hedonism to escape reality and mundanity/melancholy...

James Bond is a complex character, that's why we love him. Some days he loves his life, some days he hates it.

I don't see anything in NTTD out of line with this character, especially as the stakes are a lot higher.

Fair point, during the Craig-Bond era they have chosen to play up the melancholy, fatalistic side of Book Bond's personality, something the previous movies chose to downplay or ignore.

However Bond always puts his life on the line in every James Bond movie and only in this one is he actually allowed to die

It seems to be the personal reasons for his sacrifice that resonate with those who like the ending, rather than the World saving ones, which were his "why" on previous occasions.

This is why IMDB needs a cross-reference function; just put in CR and NTTD and see what they have in common, do the same for the other Craig films... It would be such a useful tool, I wish they'd implement it.
    Yes, I agree @NickTwentyTwo . Surprised they don't have that already.

This is why IMDB needs a cross-reference function; just put in CR and NTTD and see what they have in common, do the same for the other Craig films... It would be such a useful tool, I wish they'd implement it.

They actually have that tool. I recall someone was able to cross reference the pages of TWIN PEAKS and THE X-FILES to see which actors appeared on both shows. It’s not a feature they promote so much, and I think it can only be done on their desktop version.
    Interesting! I hope somebody on here will try that.
    Seve wrote: »
    Yes I see that reply, why should it change my mind? This person seems to think because they found one quote that contradicts the others, that happens to support THEIR opinion, that is the only one to be considered and we can dismiss the others. I suppose it's typical of the internet age where people ignore all evidence on something, however strong, unless it supports what they already think, and then they will defend it to the death, however weak and poorly constructed..

The person who wrote the original article chose three quotes to support his view and the person replying chose two quotes to support their view

It's the same thing, yet somehow only the one you don't agree with is in the wrong?

There are plenty other quotes from Fleming to support the fatalism in Bond, and that he felt differently at different times is rather normal no? Especially for someone with a melancholic disposition. Spends time mulling the morality of being a killer, his own probably early mortality, drinks to dull all this, seeks hedonism to escape reality and mundanity/melancholy...

James Bond is a complex character, that's why we love him. Some days he loves his life, some days he hates it.

I don't see anything in NTTD out of line with this character, especially as the stakes are a lot higher.

Fair point, during the Craig-Bond era they have chosen to play up the melancholy, fatalistic side of Book Bond's personality, something the previous movies chose to downplay or ignore.

However Bond always puts his life on the line in every James Bond movie and only in this one is he actually allowed to die

It seems to be the personal reasons for his sacrifice that resonate with those who like the ending, rather than the World saving ones, which were his "why" on previous occasions.

That’s the beauty of these films. In Fleming’s novels, Bond is often portrayed as a man out of time. The last man standing for the pre-WWII British Empire. That aspect is virtually absent in the Connery films as they opted to make him the coolest man on the planet that everyone wants to be like. Wasn’t until Pierce Brosnan that they started playing up that “man out of time” aspect, though in that case he was referred to as a “relic of the Cold War”.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 719
    While an atypical PTS among Bond films, the posted scene above from NTTD reminds me that this PTS has almost certainly become my favourite in the entire series. It truly is a mini-movie and probably, in total, the best part of NTTD.

1. The emotional gravitas at play throughout;
    2. Its development of the storyline from SP, as well as the very character of Craig Bond himself;
    3. The exotic use of both Norway & Matera, really in contrast to each other visually & otherwise; but especially, through the cinematography in both places;
    4. Safin's appearance in white winter clothing and Noh mask, then the scene on the ice - [it really goes downhill for his character after this];
    5. The young Mathilde & her mother - especially in the context of the song by Dalida; and most especially the edit from young Madeleine under the ice to adult Madeleine breaking the surface of the ocean water in Italy;
    6. The physical impact of the explosion on Bond - something I feel certain was influenced by the Russian war film, Come and See;
    7. The action throughout and probably the best use of the DB5 ever;
    8. The look on Bond's face while apparently trapped in the square while Madeleine's begs him to do something;
    9. The subtle hints at her pregnancy, which I missed until pointed out to me; the down time in Matera; the "Stop looking over your shoulder" comment; the local ritual of burning secrets and their relation to past trauma
    10. The tolling of the church bells in the square (if I'm remembering that correctly, or at least their presence), which perhaps foreshadows the ending of the film;
    11. So much, really ...

I could go on, haha ... but I love it all. Yes, by far the best PTS in the series ... so rich in both detail and narrative scope that it hardly bares comparison to all the others.

OTT?

OK, maybe, lol ....

We also see Vogel toast Blofeld and wish him a happy birthday, I think ...
    Yes, and I spotted two who were in CR. Just interesting ...
    Re the PTS in NTTD: I think it is extraordinary, and the perfect opening for this film. It is by far my favorite PTS in all of the Bond films, though I do love some other ones. It is a mini movie, like a French noir film. Not one bit is wasted, either: all relevant to NTTD's story, which we then watch unfold. Kudos to Cary. I never doubted his talent and storytelling, ever since I first saw True Detective; but he really exceeded my hopes with his first (I hope not last) Bond movie.

They actually have that tool. I recall someone was able to cross reference the pages of TWIN PEAKS and THE X-FILES to see which actors appeared on both shows. It’s not a feature they promote so much, and I think it can only be done on their desktop version.

imdb.com/search/common

A bit limited but gets the job done for sure! Glad this exists.
    I've said this before, and I know I'll bring it up again when I do my full review and other posts on the Originals thread ... but here is my personal anecdote for NTTD (indeed my very FIRST impressons):

I live in Japan (I do not speak/read the language, though).
    Opening day for NTTD, Oct. 3rd, I cheerfully went to our newish huge cinema, where I had reserved seats. Never been in that particular viewing screening room but other ones (very large complex, that cinema). I walked in, saw the screen looming up in front of me, a full 2 stories high - then whipped around to my left to look at the audience seats, wondering frantically where my seat was (I had to guess when I reserved it). Soon found it, relieved it was the perfect choice: halfway up, every row of seats tiered for good view and mine was additionally on a ledge of sorts, seat almost in the middle. Joy reigned. I read my paperback Live And Let Die while waiting for the trailers, ads, public announcements to start.

Finally, NTTD opens and ... happily ensconced in my comfy seat, nearly breathless - and the first words spoken were in FRENCH ... with Japanese and English subtitles. !!!! Several seconds of panic ensued as I had tried to book a seat for a viewing with English audio and NO subtitles of any kind. Distracting at first, then immense relief as I discovered it was at least in English audio! But with Japanese subtitles. I don't mind subtitles in a film, but I was not expecting it and I did not recall having them when I saw Spectre and Skyfall. Never mind, it only took me about 5 minutes to really block them out enough and fully enjoy the movie from that moment on. NOTE: French is not the official 2nd language in Japan! ha! My panic made no sense whatsoever - but was just my immediate, visceral reaction.

So yeah ... opening in French language threw me for a loop; mainly because my heart raced until I heard English audio. Otherwise, I would have had to leap up and get out of the theater and rebook for another theater with English audio confirmed. So quite an exciting, heart-racing beginning for me. In unexpected ways. ;)
    edited November 2021 Posts: 719
    I've said this before, and I know I'll bring it up again when I do my full review and other posts on the Originals thread ... but here is my personal anecdote for NTTD (indeed my very FIRST impressons):

Opening day for NTTD, Oct. 3rd, I cheerfully went to our newish huge cinema, where I had reserved seats. Never been in that particular viewing screening room but other ones (very large complex, that cinema). I walked in, saw the screen looming up in front of me, a full 2 stories high - then whipped around to my left to look at the audience seats, wondering frantically where my seat was (I had to guess when I reserved it). Soon found it, relieved it was the perfect choice: halfway up, every row of seats tiered for good view and mine was additionally on a ledge of sorts, seat almost in the middle. Joy reigned. I read my paperback Live And Let Die while waiting for the trailers, ads, public announcements to start.

Finally, NTTD opens and ... happily ensconced in my comfy seat, nearly breathless - and the first words spoken were in FRENCH ... with Japanese and English subtitles. !!!! Several seconds of panic ensued as I had tried to book a seat for a viewing with English audio and NO subtitles of any kind. Distracting at first, then immense relief as I discovered it was at least in English audio! But with Japanese subtitles. I don't mind subtitles in a film, but I was not expecting it and I did not recall having them when I saw Spectre and Skyfall. Never mind, it only took me about 5 minutes to really block them out enough and fully enjoy the movie from that moment on. NOTE: French is not the official 2nd language in Japan! ha! My panic made no sense whatsoever, but was just my immediate, visceral reaction.

But yeah ... opening in French language threw me for a loop; mainly because my heart raced until I heard English audio. Otherwise, I would have had to leap up and get out of the theater and rebook for another theater with English audio confirmed. So quite an exciting, heart-racing beginning for me. In unexpected ways. ;)

OMG, haha, what an amazing story!

In Montreal, the sound of French met with a much different, tangibly-positive kind of reaction ... and I'm going to guess this is Fukunaga's influence, as he was educated, in part, in France or Switzerland, and I think he speaks French. I wonder if he speaks any Japanese or has done any press in Japan?
    Cary mentioned in a filmed interview I saw, that NTTD's PTS being a bit like a French noir. I believe he speaks French very well. Someone else had said they lamented he did not do a lot (any?) press in French, for the French news.

I think he does not speak or understand Japanese much, or at all. I did read a quote from him saying he spent a little time in Japan when younger, and discovered he "really is very American." I can definitely relate to that. For me, I only get my news on line, including for Japan. I do not watch any Japanese tv any more (not even capable of that for years; no working TV). I do not recall any specific interviews given directly to Japan press, though. But there are many Bond fans here, and the audience cards polled showed that the Japanese were ranking NTTD higher than any other Bond movie (or since Casino Royale). I need to check that stat again. But yes, they have been positive about this movie.
  • DavidWebbDavidWebb Somewhere

Finally, NTTD opens and ... happily ensconced in my comfy seat, nearly breathless - and the first words spoken were in FRENCH ... with Japanese and English subtitles. !!!! Several seconds of panic ensued as I had tried to book a seat for a viewing with English audio and NO subtitles of any kind. Distracting at first, then immense relief as I discovered it was at least in English audio! But with Japanese subtitles. I don't mind subtitles in a film, but I was not expecting it and I did not recall having them when I saw Spectre and Skyfall. Never mind, it only took me about 5 minutes to really block them out enough and fully enjoy the movie from that moment on. NOTE: French is not the official 2nd language in Japan! ha! My panic made no sense whatsoever - but was just my immediate, visceral reaction.

So yeah ... opening in French language threw me for a loop; mainly because my heart raced until I heard English audio. Otherwise, I would have had to leap up and get out of the theater and rebook for another theater with English audio confirmed. So quite an exciting, heart-racing beginning for me. In unexpected ways. ;)

What an interesting way to get the adrenaline going.
    My heart spiked, believe me - but not in the way I envisioned before walking into that theater. ;)