Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Yes but I've read somewhere (it might not be accurate info) that due to TMWTGG they thought maybe they needed somebody else as Bond.
    The production of TSWL was certainly a nightmare and there's probably a lot of things we haven't heard of yet, but I never read anything about Moore's remplacement. Sure Michael Billington was at the time an alternative in case Moore was unable to return, but from the start the movie was thought of as a course correction for this new era.

Probably it was more this, but nevertheless Moore was not meant to be Bond for that long.

But it’s good that he was. Dalton was a great successor, in that he was completely different in style to Moore. So far we’ve not had a terrible Bond. At least, not in my opinion.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Based on photos , Michael Billington would have been an interesting choice. He had a tough look and could have taken the franchise in a different direction.

I like Moore a lot but wonder what alternate directions would have like.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    For me the only real missed opportunity in terms of alternate casting towards the end of the Moore years was Lewis Collins. I think he'd have been rather fine.
    mtm wrote: »
    For me the only real missed opportunity in terms of alternate casting towards the end of the Moore years was Lewis Collins. I think he'd have been rather fine.

Yep, he would have been good.

• MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Moore to Dalton was smooth change we need that this time too.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England

To think they almost went with James Brolin at that time instead of Collins...
    Benny wrote: »
    Yes but I've read somewhere (it might not be accurate info) that due to TMWTGG they thought maybe they needed somebody else as Bond.
    The production of TSWL was certainly a nightmare and there's probably a lot of things we haven't heard of yet, but I never read anything about Moore's remplacement. Sure Michael Billington was at the time an alternative in case Moore was unable to return, but from the start the movie was thought of as a course correction for this new era.

Probably it was more this, but nevertheless Moore was not meant to be Bond for that long.

But it’s good that he was. Dalton was a great successor, in that he was completely different in style to Moore. So far we’ve not had a terrible Bond. At least, not in my opinion.

Yes I'm glad Moore remained longer than he was initially meant to (albeit AVTAK was one too many, but then again I think Dalton or Brosnan in it wouldn't have worked).

Anyway, my prediction for the next Bond actor: he will be relatively younger and the approach will be fairly similar to the Craig era. I think he'll be finding his feet for a movie or two.
  • mtm wrote: »
    In a way Turner reminds me of him: two small screen actors (albeit Collins seemed more well-known that Turner), desired by Bond fans to take up the role, with a physicality close to the traditional portray of the character.
    Choosing a new Bond is like selecting produce ; at any given time candidates are ripe, green or past their prime. A candidate who is on the young side will benefit from a longer gap between films, while someone who’s now ready , and in his prime , will benefit if the want a new film out sooner rather than later. Of course several have aged out since SPECTRE, which appeared to be Daniel’s last.
  • We've had Bond actors born in the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s. Looks like the 1970s will be skipped and the 1980s too if EON casts someone in their early 30s.
    We've had Bond actors born in the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s. Looks like the 1970s will be skipped and the 1980s too if EON casts someone in their early 30s.

Good observation.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    In a way Turner reminds me of him: two small screen actors (albeit Collins seemed more well-known that Turner), desired by Bond fans to take up the role, with a physicality close to the traditional portray of the character.

Collins was a film lead though, and did a few very Bond-like films which I think showed he could have handled it. Turner's decent on telly but a bit unproven as a film lead.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Agree @talos7 additionally that reminds me of a crude statement I recall an associate made when I was in the service, sanitized below.

(Contenders for the Bond role) are like money--they're worth a lot when there isn't very much around.

talos7 wrote: »
    Choosing a new Bond is like selecting produce ; at any given time candidates are ripe, green or past their prime. A candidate who is on the young side will benefit from a longer gap between films, while someone who’s now ready , and in his prime , will benefit if the want a new film out sooner rather than later. Of course several have aged out since SPECTRE, which appeared to be Daniel’s last.

Who do you think has aged out? @talos7 or maybe even priced out?

I think Henry Cavill will have priced out, and may no longer be on EON's radar.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    We've had Bond actors born in the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s. Looks like the 1970s will be skipped and the 1980s too if EON casts someone in their early 30s.

And 1910s if you count Niven.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,727
    DC's tenure has made EoN far more aware of talent being the n.1 priority - they will want a lead actor who is a strong actor first - and 'looks like Bond needs to look' second.

So there is little point in posting pics of guys who look like a decent fancy-dress-party James Bond, as Babs & Michael's process probably won't be like that.

I.m.o they will say - which 30-something actor from the British Isles has the talent & charisma to carry our series for another 4 to 5 films (and isn't too expensive or tied up in other franchises)..?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    AceHole wrote: »
    DC's tenure has made EoN far more aware of talent being the n.1 priority - they will want a lead actor who is a strong actor first - and 'looks like Bond needs to look' second.

So there is little point in posting pics of guys who look like a decent fancy-dress-party James Bond, as Babs & Michael's process probably won't be like that.

Exactly, yes.

Exactly, yes.

Especially if it's an actor who's got a ciggie on the go. No way we're going to see a Bond smoking again.
    I was thinking Oscar Isaac is an actor who possess a lot of Bondian qualities to me. I think his central american background could be a factor, and I've not seen him pull off a British accent at anytime. And with any good Bond, at 5'9" he's clearly on the smaller side.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,727

Exactly, yes.

Especially if it's an actor who's got a ciggie on the go. No way we're going to see a Bond smoking again.
    I was thinking Oscar Isaac is an actor who possess a lot of Bondian qualities to me. I think his central american background could be a factor, and I've not seen him pull off a British accent at anytime. And with any good Bond, at 5'9" he's clearly on the smaller side.

@Benny yes Oscar Isaac brings the kind of charisma and heft that EoN should be looking for. Exactly the right kind of talent profile - unfortunately his latin looks won't fly I think - if he was English, Irish I'd say yes, but I still think they will go with a Caucasian British type, regardless of 'woke-ness'
    A Caucasian British type? Well that does perfectly describe James Bond .
    A Caucasian British type? Well that does perfectly describe James Bond .

I'm sure that in the context of this forum, it's main character and your familiarity with the discussion that there is no need for me to be overtly specific. Benefit of the doubt, please !
    Actually James Bond had something of a foreigner in him, albeit most certainly being caucasian, something Italian, I'd say. He certainly wasn't the blond paleface ivory British type.

But yes, a caucasian British type will do just fine, given he has some of the other qualities that harken back to Fleming's depiction of his character.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex

Exactly, yes.

He's only two years younger than Fassbender!

This is the thing - actors who are getting into their forties who have the right gravitas and the right kind of actor-ly standing (can't think of a good way to say it) are not actually that hard to find, even amongst Caucasian Brits. But ones that are in their early thirties now, those are much harder to find because they'll have been playing a lot of bland male lead parts.
    One of my top 5 . He looks the part, can act , is a perfect age and has a perfect level of public recognition.

gVcPxo1.jpg
    Univex wrote: »
    Actually James Bond had something of a foreigner in him, albeit most certainly being caucasian, something Italian, I'd say. He certainly wasn't the blond paleface ivory British type.

But yes, a caucasian British type will do just fine, given he has some of the other qualities that harken back to Fleming's depiction of his character.

The described fictional character is half Scottish, half Swiss. This of course has very little bearing on what a half-Scottish, half-Swiss person would 'look' like in 2021.

For the record - I would actually WELCOME the casting of Oscar Isaac, as I think he has the talent and acting chops to pull it off, big time.
    But my hunch is that, despite their wish to shake things up, EoN will revert to (fictional) type.
    And as we are all (I assume) familiar enough with the character I think there is no need to be pithy to one another when making generalizations on this forum, about this character - 'generalizations' on this forum are NOT equal to generalizations in the REAL world.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    One of my top 5 . He looks the part, can act , is a perfect age and has a perfect level of public recognition.

gVcPxo1.jpg

One of my favourites. Thing is, being great on paper won't mean a thing if he doesn't work on-screen, and we just don't know until we see him play a tougher role.

gVcPxo1.jpg

One of my favourites. Thing is, being great on paper won't mean a thing if he doesn't work on-screen, and we just don't know until we see him play a tougher role.

Meh... forever the little lad from About A Boy, to me.

Good enough actor, but not enough HEFT, not enough EDGE. Which, incidentally, is exactly what Oscar Isaac would bring to the to role...

gVcPxo1.jpg

Good enough actor, but not enough HEFT, not enough EDGE. Which, incidentally, is exactly what Oscar Isaac would bring to the to role...

And large numbers of people have no memory of him as a child actor. So are only actors who began their careers as adults to be considered?

gVcPxo1.jpg

And large numbers of people have no memory of him as a child actor. So are only actors who began their careers as adults to be considered?

Are you willfully ignoring the actual reasons I don't approve of his candidacy (which I state in the second paragraph) & being a smart-alec, or did you simply not see that part ?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, you see :)
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 6,677
    Univex wrote: »

The described fictional character is half Scottish, half Swiss. This of course has very little bearing on what a half-Scottish, half-Swiss person would 'look' like in 2021.

The described fictional character is indeed half Scottish, half Swiss. His father was from Glencoe and his mother was from the canton of Vaud. He's also described as looking a bit foreign, and having something of an Italian in him. Can't remember where Fleming says so, but I'm pretty sure he does. If you think about it, Connery also had something "dark" and Mediterranean about him.

That being said, Hoult would be fine. Will make me feel a bit old, though, as he'll be always the kid in that Hugh Grant film. But he'd be fine. One of my top five, as @talos7 said.