I've just launched my 007-part passion project: Battle of the Bonds

Happy Global James Bond Day, fellow Bond fans!

I've just kicked off a passion project that will dive deep into each Bond actor, their films, and their legacies as the world's favorite super spy. By the end of this celebratory series, you’ll know who my favorite Bond is, who I believe the best Bond to be, and, more importantly, why each Bond has played a critical role in ensuring our beloved franchise is here to stay. I hope you'll join me for the ride. Cheers!

Battle of the Bonds // Mission Briefing

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Nice read, Blake.

I have bookmarked it, but let us know when Lazenby is ready just the same.
    Thank you for the kind words and support, Thunderfinger. Not sure if you saw, but Part 001 covering Sean Connery is available now. Lazenby will be dropping this Thursday. Stay tuned!

Battle of the Bonds // Part 001 // Sean Connery
  • 9IW9IW
    That was a cool introduction and looking forward to it. So, beer drinker, check. Kobe fan, check. Bond fan, double 0 check. Wait, you are a cat person?
    avl_bmb wrote: »
    Thank you for the kind words and support, Thunderfinger. Not sure if you saw, but Part 001 covering Sean Connery is available now. Lazenby will be dropping this Thursday. Stay tuned!

Battle of the Bonds // Part 001 // Sean Connery

Yes, I read and enjoyed the whole thing. So more tomorrow, then. Excellent.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 22
    George Lazenby gets a bad rap, but I don't associate with the Lazenby hater hive. In fact, I believe George Lazenby was the perfect choice of actor to succeed Sean Connery.

Why? Because he had no idea what he was getting himself into.

Battle of the Bonds // Part 002 // George Lazenby. Out now.
    9IW wrote: »
    That was a cool introduction and looking forward to it. So, beer drinker, check. Kobe fan, check. Bond fan, double 0 check. Wait, you are a cat person?

Did we just become best friends?
  • 9IW9IW
    9IW wrote: »

Did we just become best friends?

Well we were sure headed that way. I dont hate cats, but my dog sure does.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 22
    Battle of the Bonds // Part 003 // Roger Moore

“Posh, debonair, and more than a little campy, Roger Moore’s James Bond is a fascinating litmus test for your appreciation of the sillier side of this franchise, perhaps even life itself.
    🍸
    An entire generation hates him, but I just love him…Roger Moore is my favorite Bond.”
    🍸
    Battle of the Bonds is back and bigger than ever! Thanks for reading. 🥰
    Another nice read.As was the last one, even if I didn t comment on that thread. Maybe you don t need a separate thread for each new entry?
  • Another nice read.As was the last one, even if I didn t comment on that thread. Maybe you don t need a separate thread for each new entry?

Thanks for your continued support, Thunderfinger. We can definitely keep things to one thread if that's preferred.
    Another nice read.As was the last one, even if I didn t comment on that thread. Maybe you don t need a separate thread for each new entry?

Thanks for your continued support, Thunderfinger. We can definitely keep things to one thread if that's preferred.

Yes, much more orderly. Looking forward to your thougts on Dalton and his films.
    Congrats and good luck friend!
    Really enjoyed reading these. Looking forward to the rest.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 22
    Thanks again for all the support, I can't wait to share further installments with you all.

For those interested, I've been posting film review excerpts and ten of my favorite shots from every film in each respective actor's run over on my Instagram page. I'm a sucker for great cinematography and this little exercise has been a great way to celebrate some of my favorite shots in each film.
  • Battle of the Bonds // Part 004 // Timothy Dalton

“The world wasn’t ready for Timothy Dalton’s Bond.
    🍸
    Real ones, however, know that Dalton was the closest thing we ever got to the 007 found within Ian Fleming’s original texts.”
    🍸
    It’s time we all put some respect on Timmy D’s name. Help me do so in the latest Battle of the Bonds!
    Gona read it right now.
  • Gona read it right now.
    Looking forward to your thoughts!
    Gona read it right now.
    Looking forward to your thoughts!

Another nice read with yet more f-bmbs.
  • Part 005 // Pierce Brosnan

I have a complicated relationship with Pierce Brosnan.
    🍸
    I'm a child of the 90s and Brosnan was the first Bond I saw in theaters, so you might think I look back on his era fondly...but I simply don't.
    🍸
    Pierce Brosnan is my least favorite Bond. Find out why in the latest Battle of the Bonds.
    Another interesting read, I have mellowed considerably on Brosnan and his era, at least half of it.
  • Another interesting read, I have mellowed considerably on Brosnan and his era, at least half of it.

Thanks for always taking the time to read and leave your thoughts, Thunderfinger.
    Another interesting read, I have mellowed considerably on Brosnan and his era, at least half of it.

Thanks for always taking the time to read and leave your thoughts, Thunderfinger.

You re the one doing all the work, so thank you.
    Battle of the Bonds // Part 006 // Daniel Craig

I grew up with Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, and Pierce Brosnan. I came of age with Daniel Craig.
    🍸
    Only time will tell how Daniel Craig’s legacy as James Bond will evolve as we get further and further from his run, but no matter how fondly or cruelly the passage of time looks back on Craig, the impact he’s had on my life will forever remain the same.
    🍸
    Daniel Craig wasn’t my first Bond and he won’t be my last, but he will always be my Bond.
    That was a great read, maybe the most enjoyable yet. Agree with some, and of course disagree with a few things as well, but can certainly agree that Craig was a great Bond. I also recognize that feeling of connecting the Bond films to various aspects and eras in our own lives.

Good job, looking forward to what comes next.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Wow that was a great read. I’m very aligned with many of your thoughts on the man and his films.

He was the best.
    That was a great read, maybe the most enjoyable yet. Agree with some, and of course disagree with a few things as well, but can certainly agree that Craig was a great Bond. I also recognize that feeling of connecting the Bond films to various aspects and eras in our own lives.

Good job, looking forward to what comes next.

Thank you as always, Thunderfinger! This one really meant a lot to me, as evidenced by the amount of time it took me to finish it. I love that you can respectfully point out that you agree and disagree. That's one of the great things about this franchise, isn't it? No two fans have the exact same opinions, and when we were turned on to the films can really affect our thoughts on each Bond and their films. Your continued support means the world. I'm glad you connected with the piece.
    peter wrote: »
    Wow that was a great read. I’m very aligned with many of your thoughts on the man and his films.

He was the best.

Thank you so much, Peter! Like I said in the very first piece, all Bonds hold a special place in my heart, some just take up more space than others. Craig, perhaps, takes up the most space considering the impact his Bond run had on my life and the respective ages I was during that run. I'll miss him very much, but so glad we got the films with him we did. The next Bond casting process is going to be incredibly interesting. I can't wait to see how it shakes out.
  • Battle of the Bonds // Part 007 // Mission Report

We’ve come quite a long way since starting this journey together, haven’t we?
    🍸
    You’ve been so kind in allowing me to inundate you with my countless thoughts, opinions, and musings on this franchise, its actors, and its films. For that I thank you.
    🍸
    With the final entry in my Battle of the Bonds series, I leave you with rankings, reflections, and closing thoughts on the future of James Bond.
    Might you expand so as to include Barry Nelson (not so much), David Niven (the only REAL James Bond in CR '67), Toby Stephens (radio plays) ?
  • edited February 2022 Posts: 22
    Since62 wrote: »
    Might you expand so as to include Barry Nelson (not so much), David Niven (the only REAL James Bond in CR '67), Toby Stephens (radio plays) ?

That would certainly be one way to keep this going! I won't rule anything out. Maybe I could do a round-up piece on the unofficial and tertiary versions of the character.