Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Licence To Kill

I thought Hedison was miscast for LTK, the age gap beetween him and Dalton is too obvious the accept them as equal agents. He was fine with Moore in LALD, but not with Dalton. EON should have gone with a different choice. Soto has become more attractive in the years since LTK. I'm not saying that she wasn't attractive in the film, but I think <a href="http://img2.bdbphotos.com/images/orig/j/o/jovwucdxm4uluwdj.jpg">this</a>; is more attractive than <a href="http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljr52hdvLr1qfwr7lo1_500.jpg>this</a>. Lowell is better loking with the shorter hair, normally I would say the opposite, but I think that style suits her.

Otherwise, it's business as usual. Dalton is boss, Davi is without question the nastiest villain in the series, the Hemmingway House is LTK's answer to TLD's Hotel Room (both scenes are brimming with tension, due in no small part to Dalton) and I love Kamen's score. Blasphemy this may be, but I wouldn't want to replace Kamen's score for anything, even what Barry could've come up with. I love what Kamen did, it helps to give the film it's uniqueness in the cannon.

2012 Bond Ranking
    1. The Living Daylights
    2. Licence To Kill
    2. You Only Live Twice
    3. From Russia With Love
    4. Dr No
    5. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    6. For Your Eyes Only
    7. Thunderball
    8. The Spy Who Loved Me
    9. Live And Let Die
    10. Octopussy
    11. Goldfinger
    12. Diamonds Are Forever
    13. The Man With The Golden Gun
    14. Moonraker
    15. A View To A Kill

Next Up: GoldenEye
    For Your Eyes Only

Absolutely love it. There's never a dull moment here, and the Bond energy is just radiating all throughout this one. The locations are without a doubt some of the best in the series, the pace moves swiftly enough to keep engaged yet slow enough to take time for the plot, the villains are realisticly evil and cunning, Roger is on the top of his game, the soundtrack is a kicky blast, and the action is simply amazing. In my opinion, Roger's second best after AVTAK.
    I got off work early today so I decided to watch OHMSS, mainly because of all the soundtrack talk on a different thread. I enjoyed it more than I did last time. It's been in my top 10 for a while, but 2 things let it down for me. Lazenby's performance (but I still think Connery couldn't have handled the emotional scenes as well as him), and the PTS (boring compared to the PTS of GF, TB and YOLT before it, and Lazenby doesn't deliver the "Bond, James Bond" well, and the other fella line is corny).

Anyway, I thought Lazenby was much better this time, when I thought about how he'd never acted I thought he was actually pretty good, I might have to move him up to 5th in my ranking, above Craig. And I liked the PTS better too, at least it did have a good fight.

That's another thing I like, the fight scenes. Lazenby is easily the best real life fighter out of the Bonds (sorry Connery and Craig but he did teach the Aussie military), and it shows here. I prefer Pleasence but Salvas is still a great Blofeld, and Diana Rigg is decent enough as Tracy.

The story is something I've never really liked. I like Blofelds revenge at the end, but I don't really like the whole Angels Of Death plot, seemed stupid to me. But like most of the film, I enjoyed it more this time.

The soundtrack is great, one of the best in the series (but nothing can top TLD). The gunbarrel is really good and the title sequence is really well done. The main theme is just epic.

The locations are great, the action is good and some of the skiing is really good (but I think TSWLM has the best ski chase).

I think I'll have to move this up to 8th on my list, which pushes CR (which I also recently watched), down to 9th.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    AVTAK last night...

8vsxsk.jpg

xxx
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Thunderball Ultimate Edition, I did not realize that the Ultimate Versions Changed/Added sound effects. THAT'S AWESOME! anyway. I still enjoyed Thunderball. :)
    Murdock wrote:
    Thunderball Ultimate Edition, I did not realize that the Ultimate Versions Changed/Added sound effects. THAT'S AWESOME! anyway. I still enjoyed Thunderball. :)

Really? Sweet! What were the distinct differences?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    00Beast wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Really? Sweet! What were the distinct differences?

Just, better realistic weapon sounds, and cleaner audio quality.

for example, in YOLT where Bond is cracking the safe with his little gadget, there was never any sound effects for it. In the ultimate editions, they added little quiet beeping sounds to give life to it. I was totally surprised, but in a good way.

• edited July 2012 Posts: 2,598
    "Superb as usual. Dalton really drives this film, I can't imagine any other actor as Bond in TLD (or either of his two Bond for that). The Hotel Room scene still remains my #1 Bond moment:

"Stay where you are... get down on your knees... put your hands behind your back."

I love the little subtleties that Dalton brings, like when his in cafe with Saunders. We see some snobbishness from Bond when he takes a mouthfull of tea/coffee, it's not to his liking so he puts the cup down and pushes it away. Kara as naive as she was, I do find her completely endearing. And the chemisty between her and Dalton is the best we've seen.

The only niggle I have is John Terry. He isn't the worst Leiter, just comes off as a non-entity."

I agree with all of this, and I've always liked the subtleties Dalton brings to the role too. John Barry certainly helped too in making this film what it is. The only thing I wasn't a fan of was the gadget laden car (I loved the Aston itself) and the cello case slay ride scene. They should have had merely subtle gadgets to keep with the spirit of the Fleming books and the cello case scene didn't belong at all. It's a scene that should be in the Moore era.

Something I said on the TLD silver Anniversary thread, is that as much as I love Connery as Bond in the first two films (still my favourite Bond actor in DN and FRWL, with Dalton coming in at a very close second), when I see him play Bond, I just think of him as Sean Connery, the actor, playing Bond, and the same goes for all the other actors except for Dalton. When I see the latter in the role, I think of him as James Bond and not an actor playing the character. I suppose this can be partly attributed to the fact that Dalton has had less roles than the others, or atleast less mainstream parts, with the exception of Lazenby, but this man isn't a great talent anyway.

Watched Thunderball last night. Good Bond film but the underwater fight scenes have always bored me a bit. I've always found underwater fight scenes in movies somewhat dull.

What's the deal with how the film cuts off half way through the end credits? I've always wondered about this.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 13,350
    The end of the credits have been missing since shortly after release, I believe. Originally, the film announced James Bond would return in On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Thunderball has since been edited to end with the James Bond theme, instead of Barry's Thunderball suite, which can be found on the soundtrack. There's an edit of this on YouTube which sounds much better.
    Watched OHMSS late last night. It was a lot better than I remember. However, I think that there is something missing from this one. It feels out of place for so many reasons. Bond getting married (I don't really like Tracyas a Bond girl), Blofeld's face on screen and Lazenby as Bond all make for a strange film. I love Piz Gloria though, one of the best settings in the Series. I almost had a heart attack when Irma Brunt jumped out from the bed at Bond!
    Watched OHMSS late last night. It was a lot better than I remember. However, I think that there is something missing from this one. It feels out of place for so many reasons. Bond getting married (I don't really like Tracyas a Bond girl), Blofeld's face on screen and Lazenby as Bond all make for a strange film. I love Piz Gloria though, one of the best settings in the Series. I almost had a heart attack when Irma Brunt jumped out from the bed at Bond!

Welcome back Arsenal, it's been a while! Good to see your return!
    You Only live twice, was on the internet at the same time though so wasn't giving it my full attention always struggle a bit with YOLT, looking forward to OHMSS next sometime this week
    Alan007 wrote:
    You Only live twice, was on the internet at the same time though so wasn't giving it my full attention always struggle a bit with YOLT, looking forward to OHMSS next sometime this week

I know what you mean, YOLT is a bit of a trip to get through a lot of times. When the volcano battle finale finally arrives, I'm so glad, because that's easily the biggest thing to look forward to!
    @00Beast Thanks, I've had a bit of a vacation away from the forum for a while :)
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The end of the credits have been missing since shortly after release, I believe. Originally, the film announced James Bond would return in On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Thunderball has since been edited to end with the James Bond theme, instead of Barry's Thunderball suite, which can be found on the soundtrack. There's an edit of this on YouTube which sounds much better.

Oh thanks. Just to clarify, you mean the actual Thunderball DVD now has the Bond theme at the end instead?

Watched TLD last night because of the anniversary and the fact that I love the film. Such a great Bond film (although 15 minutes less action would be nice. Wish the modern Bond films had the same action to non action ratio of the Connery flicks). My third favourite after FRWL and OHMSS. Despite having seen it so many times, it first occurred to me as I watched it, that out of all the Bond girls, Kara would be the one I would fall for the most because of her personality. In terms of physical attraction, she's not as beautiful as some of the other Bond girls but of course I still find her attractive. However, because of her personality which I like the most out of all the Bond girls, she's the one who would steal my heart I reckon. :)

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Bounine wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Oh thanks. Just to clarify, you mean the actual Thunderball DVD now has the Bond theme at the end instead?

Yes, that's right. It has been that way more time, than it hasn't!
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Octopussy

Well, what a delight to see Octopussy again. It has one of the best casts of the Roger Moore era, plus there’s some inventive action. It’s like a wholly acceptable combination of The Spy Who Loved Me and For Your Eyes Only. I also enjoyed the gadgets this time, because they’re fallible. Top marks.

Sir Rog has so much fun in the role of Bond. At the end of the movie I was smiling. Go figure.

Which reminds me, reading the novels, I get the sense of how much Bond enjoys life – after all, he may not see tomorrow. That’s the impression I get with Sir Rog, and also Connery and Brosnan, but not with Messer’s Dalton and Craig (so far). I think both of them focus on an undercurrent of bitterness, to define their interpretations of the role. This is some bitterness, for sure, but it's not the be all and end all of playing Bond. Just my two cents worth.

:)>-
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 13,904
    GoldenEye

The Smarmy Army won't like this, but I find Brosnan insufferable to watch, his constant smary/smugness get's right on my nerves. And who opens a door like he does when he goes aboard the yacht? It's so overacted the way he speads his legs out. Bean is ok, having seen Cleanskin, I kept thinking would would Ewan do. For starters, he'd wipe the floor with Bond. But looking at how fey Brosnan was, that wouldn't be too hard.
    Then we come to Moneypenny. :-& She looks like she'd be more comfortable sat on M's lap, joining in with verbally castrating Bond. She's terrible in both performance and writing. I have nothing against strong female characters, except when they make Bond look weak.

The ghost of Dalton looms over this film, leaving me with no doubts that Dalton would have aced this film (Trevelyan's line about all the vodka martini's silencing all the screams has Dalton's Bond running through it like lettering through a stick of rock). If Hopkins had been cast as Trevelyan, then the Statue Park would have been GE's answer to TLD's Hotel Room & LTK's Hemingway House scene(s).

2012 Bond Ranking
    1. The Living Daylights
    2. Licence To Kill
    2. You Only Live Twice
    3. From Russia With Love
    4. Dr No
    6. For Your Eyes Only
    7. Thunderball
    8. The Spy Who Loved Me
    9. GoldenEye
    9. Live And Let Die
    10. Octopussy
    11. Goldfinger
    12. Diamonds Are Forever
    14. Moonraker
    15. A View To A Kill

Next Up: Tomorrow Never Dies
    GoldenEye

And who opens a door like he does when he goes aboard the yacht? It's so overacted the way he speads his legs out.

Maybe he was bracing himself?

;)
    royale65 wrote:
    GoldenEye

And who opens a door like he does when he goes aboard the yacht? It's so overacted the way he speads his legs out.

Maybe he was bracing himself?

;)

He could have moved off to one side and slid the door open. I guess it must have been the fumes from all the hair care products, he couldn't think clearly. ;)
    With him and Moneypenny, it just needed one carless spark/fag etc to send the whole of MI6 up in flames, with all the hairspray products.

Anyway, I digress. Interesting posts chaps
    GoldenEye

The Smarmy Army won't like this, but I find Brosnan insufferable to watch, his constant smary/smugness get's right on my nerves. And who opens a door like he does when he goes aboard the yacht? It's so overacted the way he speads his legs out. Bean is ok, having seen Cleanskin, I kept thinking would would Ewan do. For starters, he'd wipe the floor with Bond. But looking at how fey Brosnan was, that wouldn't be too hard.
    Then we come to Moneypenny. :-& She looks like she'd be more comfortable sat on M's lap, joining in with verbally castrating Bond. She's terrible in both performance and writing. I have nothing against strong female characters, except when they make Bond look weak.

The ghost of Dalton looms over this film, leaving me with no doubts that Dalton would have aced this film (Trevelyan's line about all the vodka martini's silencing all the screams has Dalton's Bond running through it like lettering through a stick of rock). If Hopkins had been cast as Trevelyan, then the Statue Park would have been GE's answer to TLD's Hotel Room & LTK's Hemingway House scene(s).

2012 Bond Ranking
    1. The Living Daylights
    2. Licence To Kill
    2. You Only Live Twice
    3. From Russia With Love
    4. Dr No
    6. For Your Eyes Only
    7. Thunderball
    8. The Spy Who Loved Me
    9. GoldenEye
    9. Live And Let Die
    10. Octopussy
    11. Goldfinger
    12. Diamonds Are Forever
    14. Moonraker
    15. A View To A Kill

Next Up: Tomorrow Never Dies

I think Brosnan is the worst Bond or atleast the worst equal along with Lazenby. Brosnan overacts in a number of scenes during his four Bond films and he's hopeless with the humour. Natural is certainly not a word I would use to describe his performance. He's just not a great actor.

Samantha Bond was terrible too. Infact, pretty much everything about the Brosnan films were terrible.

I definitely agree with you regarding how he opened that sliding door. Cringe worthy. I remember when I was on a train travelling down to Florence and a school mate ripped the p**s out of Brosnan a couple of times by opening the sliding door to the train cabin we were sitting in, in the same way. It was funny.

Oh god, what about how when Bond was hanging from the bell at the beginning of DAD and wriggling his legs about by that?! I just felt embarrassed watching him for a good part of his four Bond movies.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Samantha Bond was terrible too.

Complete and utter nonsence!!!

Samantha Bond = SECOND BEST MONEYPENNY AFTER LOUIS MAXWELL.

I genuinely don't get the hostility she receives from members on here :-? :-? :-?

She did a wonderful job, had character as well as a believable chemistry with Brosnan.

Just the other day I showed a (non-Bond fan) friend a the MP scenes between Bliss and Bond and asked him which was more convincing.

This was his answer (and I quote directly from the online conversation):

second one by far (the Brosnan one)
    not even up for debate

the first one is too one-note. she talks a bit, takes her glasses off and pines after him
    the second one pines, but does it with some character

The flack she gets on these boards is insane!!!
    BAIN123 wrote:

That's a bit of an overreaction, isn't it? I think the popular opinion is Maxwell > Bond > Bliss.

I don't know about anybody else, but for me the problem is both her performance and the way she was written. It's bad enough when M tares into Bond (I think you're a sexist, misogynist dinosaur*) but we have Moneypenny spouting dreck as well.

* To Brosnan's Bond. #-o
    BAIN123 wrote:

That's a bit of an overreaction, isn't it?

Nope, its an under-reaction ;)

"It's bad enough when M tares into Bond (I think you're a sexist, misogynist dinosaur)"

But he IS!!!
    BAIN123 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

"It's bad enough when M tares into Bond (I think you're a sexist, misogynist dinosaur)"

But he IS!!!

I agree, just not Brosnan's Bond. Like Trevelyan's martini line, it does sit right when aimed at Brosnan's Bond
    BAIN123 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

But he IS!!!

I agree, just not Brosnan's Bond. Like Trevelyan's martini line, it does sit right when aimed at Brosnan's Bond

Why? He's still James Bond. Also, I liked Dalton but he was hardly sexist or mysoganist. I could probably count the number of women he seduced/slept in his two films on one hand. Laz was probably more sexist and mysoganist than he was - casually making his way through the Angels of Death.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Why? He's still James Bond. Also, Dalton was hardly sexist or mysoganist. I could probably count the number of women he seduced/slept with on one hand. Laz was probably more sexist and mysoganist than he was.

Who mentioned Dalton, I didn't. Dalton may not have been sexist or mysoganistic (I don't think that's what he was aiming for), but the idea of Bond drinking to silence the screams of all the men he's killed/all the women he failed to save, is more in line with Dalton's take on Bond than any other.

• edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I love GE the way it is and I think Brosnan is great in it, but I do think it was written for Dalton. Especially Trevelayns line in the graveyard that you mentioned.
    That's a bit of an overreaction, isn't it? I think the popular opinion is Maxwell > Bond > Bliss.

You'd think so, but Bond was part of the Brosnan era, so for alot of people on here that makes her automatically crap.

I think Bond was a great MP, I really don't see what's wrong with her.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Why? He's still James Bond. Also, Dalton was hardly sexist or mysoganist. I could probably count the number of women he seduced/slept with on one hand. Laz was probably more sexist and mysoganist than he was.

Who mentioned Dalton, I didn't. Dalton may not have been sexist or mysoganistic (I don't think that's what he was aiming for), but the idea of Bond drinking to silence the screams of all the men he's killed/all the women he failed to save, is more in line with Dalton's take on Bond than any other.

My point was that would M making her speech to Dalton rather than Brosnan REALLY have been that much different? I don't know.

I do agree that there are TIMES when Dalton's shadow probably hangs over GE (like the stuff in the cemetary) but I'm not sure if the M scene is one of them.

Personally I like the way Brosnan walks out the office, looks back and smiles at M at the end of that scene. It's a nice little moment which I'm not sure Dalton could have pulled off.