Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• baerrttbaerrtt United kingdom
    Someone earlier asked when Craig was first rumoured and I remember him being a studio guest of Film 2004 with Jonathan Ross promoting Enduring Love in November of that year where Ross asked him about the rumours and Craig remarkably stated Eon had approached him but he'd turned them down. I recall CR being the next Bond movie had been announced already by that point.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 3,272
    I don't know if you can go too much younger than Craig was in CR unless you're going to change Bond's backstory or do his origin story again.

They could always go for adapting Forever and a Day, which is set before CR. This shows how Bond earned his stripes. Great story for another reboot.

As for the next actor, my number 1 choice right now is Brett Goldstein. Watching him play tough guy Roy Kent in Ted Lasso, I saw something in him that reminded me of Connery. He can do tough and comedy in equal measure, so would bring the fun back to the series, while exuding macho charisma too. Empire magazine also have him tipped as one of the runners.

Forget your Cavill's, Fassbenders and Hardy's. This is the kind of actor that will be chosen. A left field choice, off everyone's radar.

E_r_zjCVcAMfBO-.jpg

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Possibly, but those brows are going to need some of the same attention that Connery’s received.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Possibly, but those brows are going to need some of the same attention that Connery’s received.

See them in action too. He can raise just one eyebrow to great effect, the same way Moore and Connery could. ;)
    As has been pointed out, never underestimate the power of the brow.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't know if you can go too much younger than Craig was in CR unless you're going to change Bond's backstory or do his origin story again.

They could always go for adapting Forever and a Day, which is set before CR. This shows how Bond earned his stripes. Great story for another reboot.

Yeah, I don't think that story itself is quite strong enough perhaps, but I think it showed pretty well that a younger Bond starting out (and in a different style to the movie CR) is still Bond.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 131

:D :D :D
    From this group, I have go with Turner; Madden always looks dour and pouting and Cavill has the charisma of a turnip .

I know some get tired of hearing about Turner but he deserves a screentest, if he hasn’t aged out at this point.

Not crazy about Turner, but agree on him deserving a screen test. Cavill's acting ability is not stellar, but I thought he did a decent job as Solo in UNCLE. Madden's petulant teen expression reminds me of Hayden Christensen X_X

Brett Goldstein looks OK, but he is 41, and I suspect that if the producers go with a less well known actor, they will go young, whether rightly so or not, to give them time to build another "arc", or at least to make 4-5 films before they need to look for a replacement. Bond is a physically demanding role, and even if their faces do not show age, actors in their 50s will have issues with the stunts.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 3,272
    mtm wrote: »

Yeah, I don't think that story itself is quite strong enough perhaps, but I think it showed pretty well that a younger Bond starting out (and in a different style to the movie CR) is still Bond.

Again, like any of the adapted novels, extra scenes will need to be written to pad the story out (often action sequences). This is no different to any other previously adapted novel. I think the basis of FAAD could work though, the same way CR was used as a base.

They could even incorporate some unused Fleming in there too if they were clever about it - Bond and M at blades playing cards with the villain, Bond meeting Viv Michel at a motel, etc.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,861

Again, like any of the adapted novels, extra scenes will need to be written to pad the story out (often action sequences). This is no different to any other previously adapted novel. I think the basis of FAAD could work though, the same way CR was used as a base.

They could do, I'm not sure it's a strong enough basis to justify it though- they could probably come up with an original story with a bigger hook to it. Sixtine is probably the most unique element it has (even though I wasn't keen on her giving Bond his martini and cigarettes etc. - it was a bit like that Han Solo prequel! :) ).
    Investigating the previous 007's death is quite nice, but I don't know if you can do two films in a row where
    the 007 number is getting swapped around between people.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    00Heaven wrote: »
    A hard pass for me regarding Hoult. Tiny baby nose and teeth and a weak jawline. His voice isn't impressive either, which it should. Not impressed by his acting as well.

I see you commenting here a lot and being a dissenting voice for most that are suggested currently... So I've no offence meant by this question (and I realise I've not flipped through all the 833 pages here so apologies if this is repeat question or statement for you), I'm just generally curious. Who are your picks?

Well, from day 1 there has always been only one actor who is handed to us on a gold platter, which is indeed Aidan Turner. He has all the right ingredients to make the next Bond films a success.

Don't apologise, it's alright. A couple of pages back I also listed Theo James as a good second option and Fassbender as an exciting third, older Bond. A trilogy would suffice regarding Fassbender. He's a hell of an actor and would still nail the part, even though his age.

• Nobody excites anyone it seems. Still, it's early days for the biggest job in the world.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Nobody excites anyone it seems. Still, it's early days for the biggest job in the world.

I think there are a lot of people who are excited about at least one option. Just all on different options.

And at the end of the day it is like being a fan so often is: The anticipation and the speculation is almost more fun than the actual thing in the end, because you are much more free and there are all kinds of possibilities and things for us to disagree on and discuss. Right now, I can throw out a complete left-field choice and someone can give reasons why he thinks that's a horrible idea and then someone can post that picture of Aidan Turner and then someone can pull a completely new name out of the hat and we all start looking at pictures of the guy or try to remember if we've ever seen him somewhere. And we can discuss whether race, gender, height, hair colour, nationality or age should matter and how much and what that says for or favourites and on and on. Once they announce a name, all that goes out of the window and we can kind of only discuss that one person and whether we think it fits or not (although I suspect some will fight a heavy rear-guard action if your favourite isn't picked :-SS ).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'm quite excited by the idea of there being no perfect candidates - not like when Brosnan was around and it was just kind of inevitable (and he was good, don't get me wrong). I like that no matter who we get they will be somewhat hard to imagine in the role, and I think that's what makes things exciting and interesting. Even the more conservative choices like Turner have a bit of a 'well that'll be interesting' factor if they actually get cast because it means they've done something interesting and star-worthy in their auditions.
    my guess is in a year from now we will know the 7th actor for 007
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Yes, I’m willing to bet the same. And they better nail it. After all, it’ll be the 7th 007 and the 60th anniversary. And they’ve painted themselves into quite of a corner, by repeatedly stating Daniel Craig was their best Bond, and by providing the biggest clean slate in the series. All eyes are on them now.

No pressure, EON ;)
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,727
    Univex wrote: »
    Yes, I’m willing to bet the same. And they better nail it. After all, it’ll be the 7th 007 and the 60th anniversary. And they’ve painted themselves into quite of a corner, by repeatedly stating Daniel Craig was their best Bond, and by providing the biggest clean slate in the series. All eyes are on them now.

No pressure, EON ;)

Well I for one think this may actually help the new actor to take on the mantle... DC's James VI is dead. Long live James VII

It is basically even more of a clean slate than they had before CR.
    If anything Dan has paved the way for the public and fans to accept a radically different interpretation of 007 than the predecessor offered.
    I think as long as the next chap is a good actor, he is basically golden and cannot lose... unless they botch the writing :-?
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 4,400

You think?

I reckon we are looking at a 2023 announcement, with the film due to arrive in cinemas in 2024. The next big piece of Bond 26 news will be the Amazon/MGM deal being confirmed. However, the sale is not dependent on work being commenced on the film. So I suppose that it is possible and perhaps even likely that a director/writer announcement comes in 2022.

However, perhaps they do have their guy already. Richard Madden was asked about Bond on the red carpet for Eternals. He refused to answer (see below). He has spoken about the role in the past and also said that apparently there is a curse for actors to speak openly about the part. However, we know from Daniel Craig's podcast with his agent's husband that he was tapped on the shoulder back in 2004 as a possible Bond when Brosnan still had the part. Supposedly, Broccoli let a few of her favourites know in advance. Could Madden be on that list?

He has the look and star power. However, is he that charismatic? I hear he's a bit dull in the Eternals. He's looking good on the press tour though.......

FCDPMqNX0AQ1YZm?format=jpg&name=medium
    FCCpNzyXEAAd7ws?format=jpg&name=large
    FCvVDHyX0AYHYrC?format=jpg&name=large
    FCwaqevXEAIK8CD?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Madden is... fine, I guess. He plays the stoic action hero well, but I have reservations about whether he is an intelligent enough actor to follow in DC's footsteps :-?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yes I'm slightly sceptical in the same way as P2D. It's not impossible, but I'd be expecting them to have a script and director before they cast Bond - I guess it depends whether they're working on it now or not.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Yes I'm slightly sceptical in the same way as P2D. It's not impossible, but I'd be expecting them to have a script and director before they cast Bond - I guess it depends whether they're working on it now or not.

I recall BB stating that they wouldn't start thinking about B26 until next year. And I'm sure that when they do, and casting is brought up, they'll be taking their sweet time to consider and exhaust all options.

You think?

I reckon we are looking at a 2023 announcement, with the film due to arrive in cinemas in 2024. The next big piece of Bond 26 news will be the Amazon/MGM deal being confirmed. However, the sale is not dependent on work being commenced on the film. So I suppose that it is possible and perhaps even likely that a director/writer announcement comes in 2022.

However, perhaps they do have their guy already. Richard Madden was asked about Bond on the red carpet for Eternals. He refused to answer (see below). He has spoken about the role in the past and also said that apparently there is a curse for actors to speak openly about the part. However, we know from Daniel Craig's podcast with his agent's husband that he was tapped on the shoulder back in 2004 as a possible Bond when Brosnan still had the part. Supposedly, Broccoli let a few of her favourites know in advance. Could Madden be on that list?

He has the look and star power. However, is he that charismatic? I hear he's a bit dull in the Eternals. He's looking good on the press tour though.......

FCDPMqNX0AQ1YZm?format=jpg&name=medium
    FCCpNzyXEAAd7ws?format=jpg&name=large
    FCvVDHyX0AYHYrC?format=jpg&name=large
    FCwaqevXEAIK8CD?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

That was an interesting clip. His agent or whoever that was scooted him out of there fast when he was asked about Bond.
    Ok madden is a few months older then me if He does get cast then I really will have no excuse to lose the rest of my weight
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Yeah, the fact he's not talking about it means, imo, that he thinks he has a serious shot at the role. But I also agree with P2D about him lacking charisma on screen. He's an example of an actor who is much more charismatic whilst giving interviews than he is when playing characters on screen (again, imo).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I recall BB stating that they wouldn't start thinking about B26 until next year. And I'm sure that when they do, and casting is brought up, they'll be taking their sweet time to consider and exhaust all options.

Yes you're right, good point. I suspect the script and director will come first though, although I'm sure they'll start the casting process not long after starting the script. Next year may be optimistic; it may not be, we'll see.

Just as he's a name which sometimes pops up here, Jeremy Irvine starts his role as the sidekick in the new adaptation of Dalgleish on Channel 5 next week.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    My wife insists that Harry Styles should be the next Bond. Don't worry... I shall 'correct' her.

FN6CLd2.gif
    Madden frequently looks too glum.

And Styles is my dark horse; he’s got charisma to spare, is steadily building his acting cred, has a good voice and is entertaining the right age range. Far fetched? Yes, but…

I think they probably have a solid idea of the direction they want to go with the series, not necessarily what the next FILM should be specifically, but what they want to do overall with the character. I don't think it's unlikely that they'd be casting based on those ideas rather than waiting for "the" script.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Madden frequently looks too glum.

And Styles is my dark horse; he’s got charisma to spare, is steadily building his acting cred, has a good voice and is entertaining the right age range. Far fetched? Yes, but…

Yeah, stranger things have happened.

0_GettyImages-1318029871.jpg

I'm really liking the Richard Madden and Theo James options just based on the photos. Next step would be to actually look into their work.
    Honestly a year or two ago most names mentioned seemed very unBondian to me.