NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• I hope NTTD is in running for Oscars. DC deserves at least a nomination. I know it probably won't happen.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    If Sam Smith can win an Oscar for TWOTW, then Daniel Craig deserves an Oscar too.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    If Sam Smith can win an Oscar for TWOTW, then Daniel Craig deserves an Oscar too.

A friend of mine is a very good musician doing that for a living and he always tells me that WoTW has by far the best orchestration of the Craig era. Point is that from a pure technical standpoint the Sam Smith song is a killer.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 7,500
    matt_u wrote: »

A friend of mine is a very good musician doing that for a living and he always tells me that WoTW has by far the best orchestration of the Craig era. Point is that from a pure technical standpoint the Sam Smith song is a killer.

That is indeed true. The arrangement is stellar.
  • RyanRyan Canada

Not to get too far off topic, but the hook that opens the song is fantastic. Feels very classic Bond.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited October 2021 Posts: 2,928
    I loved the whole of that song, unfeasible high notes and all! Always was a contrary swine.

I agree that the song is technically excellent. I just think that Craig's acting rocks to the point where he should get an Oscar too. But maybe I'm incredibly biased. 😉😉
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    If NTTD did flop massively, it may put the brakes on the whole series, which I definitely don't want to happen.

Well, you can calm down then, relax, and pour yourself a glass of wine: NTTD isn't a flop.

Too early for a glass of wine. I'm just about to hit the gym.

Don’t forget to mask-up.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 12,837
    Even if NTTD was a flop (it isn’t), and even if the Amazon sale hadn’t happened, I’d still be surprised to see people predicting them putting the brakes on the whole series. Do we not think Bond is big enough now that it’s invincible?

The last time I really worried about the future of the series was the early 90s. Since then, I think they’ve managed to ensure that it’ll outlive all of us. Absolute worst case scenario, one day we might get a Bond film that’s a complete critical and commercial flop. But then they’ll just reboot it. And if that reboot failed, after another gap, they’d just try again. Hollywood doesn’t do originality very much anymore, and Bond is one of the biggest brands there is. It’s engrained in the public consciousness the world over, and has long lasting, cross generational appeal.

It’d take more than one flop to kill that. The only way to kill Bond for good would be a string of flops that destroyed the memory of it for a generation, and nobody’s that incompetent. So, I feel confident in predicting that we’ll get new Bond films for as long as the movie business lasts.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 625
    Absolute worst case scenario, one day we might get a Bond film that’s a complete critical and commercial flop.

I think they only get a real problem if that happens twice in a row.
    One single flop will not end the series.

And everything, that happens during the pandemic will not have any weight on future decisions, because they all know, that NTTD would have made much more money in a pre-Covid-world.
    RC7 wrote: »

Yeah, such a baaaaad film. 🙄
    Congratulations to No Time To Die hitting 500 million worldwide. 😊 As of today it stands at 525 million dollars. The second US film this year to make over 500 million.
  • Should be a good weekend next weekend as well with China added in.
  • manovermanover uk
    I agree..next weekend could be a very strong week for NTTD.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Even if NTTD was a flop (it isn’t), and even if the Amazon sale hadn’t happened, I’d still be surprised to see people predicting them putting the brakes on the whole series. Do we not think Bond is big enough now that it’s invincible?

Slightly OT. Has the MGM/Amazon Merger been officially approved yet? The last I checked, it still faced Federal Trade Commission (US FTC) analysis and the US congress was also looking into it.
    https://deadline.com/2021/08/wga-ftc-amazon-mgm-merger-1234825214/

Thanks for any updated info.
    00Heaven wrote: »
    I think what I can't understand from a logic standpoint is people willingly wanting this movie to flop. If you're a Bond fan, this makes no sense. By all means dislike NTTD but wanting it to fail is akin to shooting yourself in the foot. If it fails then that means no more Bond, period, or in the very least not for a VERY long time. If it fails, it could mean that EON might have to sell up and then you could get the likes of "The Adventures of Nomi!" on Amazon Prime (though I do recognise some people might be up for that).

At least will NTTD to do decently. It's the way you end up with B26 and who knows? B26 could be the greatest Bond movie ever - for you anyway, the beauty of opinions.

There seems to be a number of people here who get upset at the very notion of the film underperforming because they love it.And lash out and call us names because of it.I don’t hate the film,I like a lot of it but found it ultimately disappointing.This is the thread for duscussing the box office.There are also people here who simply don’t understand the economics of what constitutes box office success for NTTD.

Some people here are stating “ look at all the money it’s making! “.Again,I hate to break this to you all but a massively budgeted movie like NTTD under normal circumstances needs to make something like three times it’s budget to BREAK EVEN. There is the production cost which was anything from 250 million to 300 million,then there is the marketing,a massive amount in this case given that they pretty much had to market the film THREE times over the last two years.Then the theatres get a cut of that box office.Then countries like China get a cut.Then there is the added millions of interest the film accumulated due to delays.

A quick look at box office mojo states that the film is currently sitting at 525 million.While that’s a respectable number,that’s still a long way off this film being PROFITABLE.

And to answer someone’s question earlier about the likes of Blade Runner and The Shawshank Redemption,yes they were great films but there is no denying the fact that they were box office FLOPS.They lost money for the studios that made them.

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,165
    @AstonLotus: “Ha ha! This movie FLOPPED.”

Everyone Else: “You’re an idiot.”

@AstonLotus: “omg such hostility wtf”

That’s basically what happened there.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    NTTD will likely lose money after its theatrical window but that will happen only because it came out during a pandemic after a 1.5 year delay. Even comparing its boxoffice to previous Bond films it’s quite not fair.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    If the movie manages to make $750m during a GLOBAL PANDEMIC, I’d call that impressive. Because imagine if there was no pandemic, and how much more it would have made.
  • If the movie manages to make $750m during a GLOBAL PANDEMIC, I’d call that impressive. Because imagine if there was no pandemic, and how much more it would have made.

It just has to make $717m WW to get the bragging rights for best performing Hollywood movie of 2021...until maybe Spidey

Whatever it loses from theatrical will be made up in the long run....the Bond movies are a money machine.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I am not worried about EON. I enjoy seeing NTTD doing this great, in a pandemic no less. And Bond films will continue. It's all a win-win for me.
    Minion wrote: »
    They want this “woke betrayal” of a character they’re overly obsessed with to flop so EON will go back to making movies where Bond treats women like meat and disrespects foreign cultures. Scared, fragile egos that can’t accept the world has moved on without them.

From all the disgruntled voices I've heard on here about not liking NTTD, I have yet to see any posts which reflect your summary - wanting a return of Bond treating women like meat and disrespecting foreign cultures. If anyone does have this opinion then it is one I definitely don't share either.

The general consensus here with the ones who don't like NTTD are the script, allowing Bond to just die, killing Felix, not using more of the Fleming novel YOLT, Craig's odd portrayal in certain scenes (interactions with M, Safin and Blofeld), the fact that the film starts brilliantly then nosedives after Cuba, Safin being underused as a villain, etc.

I could be wrong, but I've yet to see posters on here demanding a return to what you are suggesting above, and highlighting that as the reason why they dislike the movie so much.

And for the record, I don't want this film to flop. Not because I don't want EON to be punished for making the mistakes they did, but because I want the franchise to continue.

If NTTD did flop massively, it may put the brakes on the whole series, which I definitely don't want to happen.

This is a great post. Similar to my views in many ways.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I am pretty much with Minion on this. Posts have either implied or stated how they wish things had not changed, modernized Bond; especially in regard to his "masculinity". Let's just please move along, please.

Also, just to add, this final story was not meant to have the focus on the villain. So maybe Saffin could have been creepier, but this movie was never going to be about Bond vs. #1Worst Menacing Villain in the World to save the world. This was Bond's personal story, and I like very much the emphasis and tone that was put into this, Craig's final film, the end of the journey for this Bond.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 328
    @AstonLotus believe it or not has a point to some degree. NTTD clearly isn't a critical flop and yes, it's making money (revenue) but it hasn't brokeneven yet, let alone made a profit and it doesn't look set to. This, however, is not an isolated incident and is a matter most pandemic films are facing as we all know.

NTTD has made a lot more money internationally than every other pandemic film, which is amazing and shows the international power and appeal of Bond but with it's projected total theatrical revenue to bare in mind, it's looking like it may not breakeven. When it comes to money in this industry, volume is key. Pandemic or no pandemic the numbers in play are what they are (that's the most important element here). Several pandemic films don't have the budgets NTTD had and some do. Look at Jungle Cruise, that film had a budget of $200M and has a gross of $212M by way of theatrical release and Premier access...ouch! Yet, a sequel was greenlit less than a month after its release. This pandemic period is "experimental" and shouldn't be a ruling signifier of monetary worth when it's all said and done. NTTD is doing very well, all things considered, and although somewhat of an obvious financial disappointment this should be considered a huge win.

Fortunately the BO returns for NTTD is somewhat immaterial as Bond 26 is happening anyway. Over half a $Billion in less than a month in a pandemic with a few other markets yet to be released in? The producers and everyone involved with this film have absolutely every reason to hold their heads high.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    I don't get this obsession with NTTD not breaking even.

1. It was designed and budgeted for a market pre COVID that doesn't exists anymore;
    2. The pandemic is not EoN's fault nor the wasted marketing because of that;
    3. We don't have (and won't ever have) the exact mark NTTD has to hit in order to break even;
    4. NTTD, like any other film, will keep on making money after its theatrical window;
    5. NTTD is the film that arguably suffered the most because of the pandemic, since has been the first one to get delayed and has an averege older audience demographic - more reluctant to return to the movies - than any other blockbuster coming out this year.

STILL, it's the first film since The Rise of Skywalker to reach $400 million globally without the two biggest markets on the planet (NA and China), in UK it will miracolously outgross SP becoming the third highest grossing film ever and it will end up being the second or third highest grossing film of 2021.

To sum up: NTTD is a hit.
    I don’t quite get the logic of people saying the film is a commercial success if it loses $200 million dollars on theatrical release.

Forget the current covid situation we all know that, but look at the bottom line.

If you’re in the red, the film hasn’t been a success - yes it’s done well in the circumstances, but the studios and distributors putting up hundreds of millions of dollars aren’t interest in doing well in the circumstances. They’re interested in return on investment.