Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• RC7RC7
    edited October 2021 Posts: 10,512
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I just hope whoever they pick next, they map out a cohesive story and tone then see it through. Enough with trying to tie everything together.
    Pick a direction with Bond #7 and try to get everyone pulling in the same direction

I don’t think that’ll happen. The films are reactionary. My personal choice would be to follow through on continuity of character rather than narrative. Have each story be it’s own thing but have a subtle character thread run through it. And I don’t mean an ‘arc’ but something akin to Fleming.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    That's a good idea to be fair. I would prefer stand alone entries with a loose continuity going forward but I doubt we'll get that. Barbara often mentions Bond's emotional journey in these films now, I can't see them reverting to out and out stand alones with impersonal missions

On last viewing I felt NTTD was hamstrung by continuity but I understand the decisions made. Hopefully if they keep a continuity they plan it out more than thoroughly and forget about chasing trends. Again wishful thinking on my part
    Tom Hardy as Bond or bust.

He's 44.
  • Does Jack O’Connell seem likely to any of you who are more clued up on the industry than me? He’s the only suggestion so far I’d be really excited to see (although I’d give anyone a chance to convince me) and he’s the right age. But at the same time, I’m wondering if he’ll be on their radar. He made a big splash a few years ago and there were a lot of pundits predicting he’d be the next big thing, but he’s had a patchy filmography since, and I can’t decide if that’d work in his favour or not. On the one hand, it’s not like the others all had a flawless critically acclaimed body of work behind them, and him not blowing up the way he seemed poised to a few years ago means he’s not too famous for the role. But on the other hand, will he have fallen off their radar a bit? I’m not sure.

He’s in a new TV series from Steven Knight (Peaky Blinders) about the formation of the SAS, so that might be something to keep an eye out for, could help establish his action hero credentials a bit.
    RC7 wrote: »
    I just hope whoever they pick next, they map out a cohesive story and tone then see it through. Enough with trying to tie everything together.
    Pick a direction with Bond #7 and try to get everyone pulling in the same direction

I don’t think that’ll happen. The films are reactionary. My personal choice would be to follow through on continuity of character rather than narrative. Have each story be it’s own thing but have a subtle character thread run through it. And I don’t mean an ‘arc’ but something akin to Fleming.

I think that’s probably the best way of doing it. Not sure Bond is suited to a big, connected story (I really enjoyed the last era but the Quantum/Spectre arc was a mess) but at the same time, we don’t have to go back to Bond feeling like a cartoon. Keep the more fleshed out Bond, stick him in different stand alone stories, and then the character stuff will flow naturally.
    I don't wish to be disparaging and maybe it's just me, but doesn't Jean-pages head look to small for his body.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 12,837
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    I don't wish to be disparaging and maybe it's just me, but doesn't Jean-pages head look to small for his body.

He looks good to me. I’ve got no real opinion on him though, because I haven’t seen him in anything.

I watched that clip someone posted a few pages back, and I can see what people mean about him not seeming really manly. But then maybe it’s time for another Moore style Bond, to be fair. Someone a bit more gentleman spy than hardened killer. It’s been so long since we had that (even Brosnan had a bit of an edge to him) that it could feel like quite a fresh take. I do like the idea of a sort of wolf in sheep’s clothing Bond. Someone who doesn’t seem overtly dangerous, but then suddenly turns from Moore into Craig when the fight scenes kick off. Think Colin Firth in Kingsman, that sort of vibe could be cool.

But that is a difficult sort of Bond to pull off. You need loads of natural charm for it, so I’d have to actually see Page in something before deciding if he could manage it.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 15,785
    I'd cast Page as Logan Ash in a reboot of NTTD.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    And if Billy Magnussen hadn't already played Logan Ash, he would've made a good Felix Leiter in the next era.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    And if Billy Magnussen hadn't already played Logan Ash, he would've made a good Felix Leiter in the next era.

Good choice!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,861
    RC7 wrote: »

Yeah I think when you're making these films and throwing everything you have at the one you're in production on, and bringing on a new director every time and asking him to invest in it, it would be tricky to have a plan for four or five films ahead. Maybe very general, sketchy ones, but nothing much more.
    Does Jack O’Connell seem likely to any of you who are more clued up on the industry than me? He’s the only suggestion so far I’d be really excited to see (although I’d give anyone a chance to convince me) and he’s the right age. But at the same time, I’m wondering if he’ll be on their radar. He made a big splash a few years ago and there were a lot of pundits predicting he’d be the next big thing, but he’s had a patchy filmography since, and I can’t decide if that’d work in his favour or not. On the one hand, it’s not like the others all had a flawless critically acclaimed body of work behind them, and him not blowing up the way he seemed poised to a few years ago means he’s not too famous for the role. But on the other hand, will he have fallen off their radar a bit? I’m not sure.

He’s in a new TV series from Steven Knight (Peaky Blinders) about the formation of the SAS, so that might be something to keep an eye out for, could help establish his action hero credentials a bit.

Oh yeah; he's playing Paddy Mayne in that isn't he? That should be a hell of a part.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    edited October 2021 Posts: 686
    The second trailer for Kenneth Branagh's Belfast has dropped. This film is supposed to be an awards contender, and the lead is Jamie Dornan, who's been mentioned here a few times. Now Dornan has been said by detractors to be lacking as an actor (I don't know, I've never seen him in anything), but if he turns in a good performance in an award-winning film, I think it will strengthen his chances of being taken seriously as a Bond contender.

I'm pretty sure Eon want to continue the Craig paradigm of having a strong, well respected acting talent in the lead role, so any of the 007 hopefuls grabbing an acting award (especially those who look the part but are seen as acting lightweights) I think get their chances strengthened considerably.

Incidentally, Judy Dench is in the film, too.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 6,665
    The second trailer for Kenneth Branagh's Belfast has dropped. This film is supposed to be an awards contender, and the lead is Jamie Dornan, who's been mentioned here a few times. Now Dornan has been said by detractors to be lacking as an actor (I don't know, I've never seen him in anything), but if he turns in a good performance in an award-winning film, I think it will strengthen his chances of being taken seriously as a Bond contender.

I'm pretty sure Eon want to continue the Craig paradigm of having a strong, well respected acting talent in the lead role, so any of the 007 hopefuls grabbing an acting award (especially those who look the part but are seen as acting lightweights) I think get their chances strengthened considerably.

Incidentally, Judy Dench is in the film, too.

That trailer is very good. And so is Dornan in it. And Branagh's due a good film, as he's been doing some pretty bad stuff lately, like that new awful Poirot iteration. Well, to be fair, when he's good, he's really good, as an actor and as a director.

About Dornan, well, he's about 40, so.. I don't believe that batch of 40ish actors, like Turner or Dornan will have their chance. They're goners as far as Bond is concerned, IMO and unfortunately.

I reckon, right now, 2 or 3 years make a huge difference.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 686
    Wow, I assumed Dornan was mid-thirties!

Yes, I think you're right, he's too old to get a shot now. I simply didn't think to check his age.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    I'm surprised no one has complained that Jack O'Connell is too short yet.

I can see it though.

On Dornan, I wouldn't have minded, but yeah he's due to turn 40.
    00Heaven wrote: »

I can see it though.

Go back through the thread, it's been said repeatedly by many of us. There's something of a split between those of us who think 5'10'' is minimum height, and those that don't think height is an issue.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    edited October 2021 Posts: 573

I can see it though.

Go back through the thread, it's been said repeatedly by many of us. There's something of a split between those of us who think 5'10'' is minimum height, and those that don't think height is an issue.

Ah. Normal service was never suspended then ;).

I must admit he did look a little odd standing next to Angelina Jolie in one pic when I put him into Google images. It's not an outright no from me though. Just put him on stilts when he has to stand next to someone ;). On a more serious note there's all kinds of things they can do to give the illusion of height... Whether that pleases some people, I don't know.

I can see it though.

I must admit he did look a little odd standing next to Angelina Jolie in one pic when I put him into Google images. It's not an outright no from me though. Just put him on stilts when he has to stand next to someone ;). On a more serious note there's all kinds of things they can do to give the illusion of height... Whether that pleases some people, I don't know.

A brief note on identification, which goes to show my exemption as a fan. I’m a short guy, even if quite fit ;) , but short nonetheless, and I really want Bond to be around the height Fleming gave him on the page. See? It’s not all about race, gender, hair colour,... And the only two things I lack, going by Fleming’s, are blue eyes and height. Still, I want Bond to be as close to the page as possible. Heck, give him the scar on the cheek and the one in the hand ;)

Also, I don’t think O’ Connell has the finesse or the style or the charisma. But those are other matters alltogether.
    Univex wrote: »

I can see it though.

A brief note on identification, which goes to show my exemption as a fan. I’m a short guy, even if quite fit ;) , but short nonetheless, and I really want Bond to be around the height Fleming gave him on the page. See? It’s not all about race, gender, hair colour,... And the only two things I lack, going by Fleming’s, are blue eyes and height. Still, I want Bond to be as close to the page as possible. Heck, give him the scar on the cheek and the one in the hand ;)

Also, I don’t think O’ Connell has the finesse or the style or the charisma. But those are other matters alltogether.

I'm in a similar position. And I'm not tall, either. I do like stories where the hero isn't that tall or that muscular and wins through via smarts and determination (or, you know a radioactive spider-bite), but... that's not really Bond.

I enjoy him as well I think he is almost too perfect even though he is 44 he could in theory do a quick trilogy
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Unfortunately "quick trilogy" isn't in EON's vocabulary :(.
    Unfortunately "quick trilogy" isn't in EON's vocabulary :(.

that you know of but Maybe

Again if we go to Fleming an Actor wiling to do one film eery other year and with Amazon's bankroll I have a feeling IF HARDY WAS CAST He could do 3 or even 4 films

The Property of a Lady 2023 Hardy at 46
    Slay it with Flowers 2025 Hardy at 48
    A whisper of love a Whisper of hate 2027 Hardy at 50

and depending on how he feels/looks he could do more
    if it were, they could get Luke Evans :)
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home

Good point.

Good point.

Or Michael Fassbender, everybody’s favourite ;)

They’ll be missing so many cool candidates if they go younger. And speaking of short people, Cillian Murphy is larger than life, despite his size, because he oozes charisma. So many cool candidates...
    Fassbender is certainly the one that got away as far as I'm concerned.

We all like him. It’s that common possible ground I’ve been talking about.

There are some films in the canon that everybody admits to being good, like FRWL. And there are possible choices going forwards, narrative wise and casting wise that would please everyone, I’m sure of it.

The “you can’t please everyone “ motto seems to rule every discussion nowadays, being it political or the choosing of drapes. But the truth is consensus exists, we just have to go down the canonical path and tweek it to make it one of quality and freshness. That’s all.

You don’t need to subvert to inovate or keep something fresh, but you have to bring a new form of high quality and value to it, constantly. So far, I’d say EON has done so, with some margin for exaggeration and miss.

So I do hope they recognise this common ground, the need to get back to what has always worked, even in the DC tenure, and do it again with increased quality.

IMO, the production values have increased significantly over the DC tenure, and there’s constantly one thing that is missing, always, ever since CR, and that is solid, quality, intelligent writing. But that’s a matter for other threads.

There is common ground amongst fans, of this I am sure.

If they made a solidly writen spy thriller, contained in an exotic location, with the production values of CR, SF or NTTD, with someone like Michael Fassbender, would any fan complain of said choices? Really, anyone?
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England

There are some films in the canon that everybody admits to being good, like FRWL. And there are possible choices going forwards, narrative wise and casting wise that would please everyone, I’m sure of it.

The “you can’t please everyone “ motto seems to rule every discussion nowadays, being it political or the choosing of drapes. But the truth is consensus exists, we just have to go down the canonical path and tweek it to make it one of quality and freshness. That’s all.

You don’t need to subvert to inovate or keep something fresh, but you have to bring a new form of high quality and value to it, constantly. So far, I’d say EON has done so, with some margin for exaggeration and miss.

So I do hope they recognise this common ground, the need to get back to what has always worked, even in the DC tenure, and do it again with increased quality.

IMO, the production values have increased significantly over the DC tenure, and there’s constantly one thing that is missing, always, ever since CR, and that is solid, quality, intelligent writing. But that’s a matter for other threads.

If they made a solidly writen spy thriller, contained in an exotic location, with the production values of CR, SF or NTTD, with someone like Michael Fassbender, would any fan complain of said choices? Really, anyone?

Surely not. And if they did a quick trilogy - which let's be honest they won't - then I would want Fassbender over Hardy. Fassbender is a name but not too big. Although I haven't seen how he looks recently - it seems an age since he was in a film.

Surely not. And if they did a quick trilogy - which let's be honest they won't - then I would want Fassbender over Hardy. Fassbender is a name but not too big. Although I haven't seen how he looks recently - it seems an age since he was in a film.

Loosing a bit of hair, going by the LeMans documentary, but I'm sure he'd clean up nicely :)