NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    I see, so the hums themselves were removed but the part with the piano remains?

Yes exactly
    Sounds good, thanks for the info. I’ve allowed myself to listen to around 30 seconds of each track and have loved what I heard thus far. I can’t wait to experience the whole thing with an IMAX/Dolby sound system.
    I don't know if anyone else has ordered the limited edition picture disc OST from Sound of Vinyl but despite the image that's still on their website advertising it as Two Double Sided Picture Discs, I've received it and it's only one LP with a shortened tracklist (which is actually in the description but still, odd/confusing all around)
    https://thesoundofvinyl.com/*/*/No-Time-To-Die-The-Sound-Of-Vinyl-Exclusive-Picture-Disc-LP/74DA0000000
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    OHMSS influence in the NTTD soundtrack from what I can hear:

- Matera (We Have All The Time In The World)
    - Good To Have You Back (OHMSS theme)
    - Norway Chase, Poison Garden, The Factory and I'll Be Right Back (Gumbold's Safe motif)
    I'll have to listen again, I didn't get any of Gumbold's Safe.
    Yeah, the trick is they needed to add weight to it, as it didn't have it, so they went and took it from a heavy nostalgic place. Score explained.

- Norway Chase, Poison Garden, The Factory and I'll Be Right Back (Gumbold's Safe motif)

Wait, Gumbold's safe is in there? I don't hear it, but those tracks do sound very "modern OHMSS-y" indeed.

The more time I spend with this score, the more I love it. And I'm loving the film itself along with it.

I'm sorry for those folks who aren't digging it. Hans' work is, honestly, 100% everything I wanted from this score and any modern Bond score -- embraced, brought to life, and dialed up to 11 at times. I'll cherish for the rest of my life (and the rest of my Bond fandom) the fact that we got this, now. Brilliant stuff IMO.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 820
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    I see, so the hums themselves were removed but the part with the piano remains?

Yes exactly
    Sounds good, thanks for the info. I’ve allowed myself to listen to around 30 seconds of each track and have loved what I heard thus far. I can’t wait to experience the whole thing with an IMAX/Dolby sound system.

Enjoy, sir! I can assure you that will help with the sound/music greatly -- the layers and depth of the mix going on here are one of the score's special attributes. The higher quality I go to, the more I hear entirely new instrument parts that I didn't pick up off my iPod/Apple headphones combo.

For example, Hans repurposes the classic Bond theme guitar riff and uses it as a backing countermelody in numerous spots, to build "Bond arrival" momentum -- didn't notice in my first viewing of the film, but now they're all I hear and they just lift these tracks into heaven for me.

He even leans on that as an action bit. The last, like, entire minute of "Norway Chase" for example is -- as far as I can tell -- powered by the Bond theme, but disguised and reinterpreted in a very Zimmer way.

No one seemed to pick up on it during those initial listens on the MI6 forums last week, but honestly, the Bond theme is everywhere on this thing. Everywhere.
    I listened to the soundtrack today but despite having just seen the film a third time and the track titles I couldn't place some of them in the film.

It's a bit too nondescript for me. Maybe the Zimmer name is saving him from the criticism thrown at Newman. Newman was slated for re-using motifs in SP from SF but at least they were his character motifs and not from John Barry.

I think the title song should have been edited for the title sequence - heck they cut the first verse of LTK - to get to the chorus quicker, all a bit of a slog. That and the tired credit sequence are a bigger downer than the film's ending.

Cowley wrote: »
    I listened to the soundtrack today but despite having just seen the film a third time and the track titles I couldn't place some of them in the film.

It's a bit too nondescript for me. Maybe the Zimmer name is saving him from the criticism thrown at Newman. Newman was slated for re-using motifs in SP from SF but at least they were his character motifs and not from John Barry.

I think the title song should have been edited for the title sequence - heck they cut the first verse of LTK - to get to the chorus quicker, all a bit of a slog. That and the tired credit sequence are a bigger downer than the film's ending.

I've always been fascinated by the way that they cut out that verse in the LTK credits. Then again they also cut out the intro, which I think is very different to how any other Bond theme begins.
    Interesting. I find it to be one of most scene-distinctive and memorable ones we've had, comparable to Skyfall in that way. (With the possible exception of the ending sequence, which all sounds very Zimmery through much of it -- big, big fan of the emotional variants in "I'll Be Right Back" though).

The Zimmer/Newman comparison for re-using isn't fair at all, IMO. Newman (allegedly instructed by Mendes) lifted entire cues verbatim from Skyfall and put them into Spectre. Zimmer dips into brief OHMSS references 2-3 times, and each one with great emotional effect. (I'll admit I find it funny the way it's used under the Bond/M conversation -- brilliant to hear, but fairly unnecessary. Just a bit of wonderful fan service). But to me, there are completely different scenarios between Newman's reuse of Skyfall in Spectre and Zimmer's explicit references of OHMSS in No Time to Die.

AgentM72 wrote: »

Wait, Gumbold's safe is in there? I don't hear it, but those tracks do sound very "modern OHMSS-y" indeed.

The more time I spend with this score, the more I love it. And I'm loving the film itself along with it.

I'm sorry for those folks who aren't digging it. Hans' work is, honestly, 100% everything I wanted from this score and any modern Bond score -- embraced, brought to life, and dialed up to 11 at times. I'll cherish for the rest of my life (and the rest of my Bond fandom) the fact that we got this, now. Brilliant stuff IMO.

I'm certain about its use in Norway Chase albeit a new rendition. The other three tracks I mentioned have the same ticking sound and I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least inspired by Gumbold's Safe, since Zimmer is already sampling OHMSS for the other tracks.

I'm certain about its use in Norway Chase albeit a new rendition. The other three tracks I mentioned have the same ticking sound and I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least inspired by Gumbold's Safe, since Zimmer is already sampling OHMSS for the other tracks.

Can you point me to the specific spot(s) in Norway Chase you're thinking of?
    Cowley wrote: »
    I think the title song should have been edited for the title sequence
    But they did. The last part of the song is not in the movie.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Not What I Expected, is the track that has stayed with me most since the film. Something about it feels otherworldly

Great soundtrack on the whole, I preferred the score having more callbacks than the actual film this time, although the timing of some cues felt odd
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I loved the inclusion of a certain track from the past. Beautiful and fitting.
  • As I predicted. Typically serviceable modern action score. Nothing as lush or romantic as Thomas Newman wrote --all the best cues and melodies come from somewhere else in the franchise. But missed a trick by not using Newman's wonderful Secret Room. Great film though.
    As I predicted. Typically serviceable modern action score. Nothing as lush or romantic as Thomas Newman wrote --all the best cues and melodies come from somewhere else in the franchise. But missed a trick by not using Newman's wonderful Secret Room. Great film though.

Didn't think of "secret room", but you're right. He should've used it.

• 00Ralf00Ralf Germany
    The bit at 5:14 of Cuba Chase reminds me of the ending of Bond 77.

5:14 -

4:11 -
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Its interesting that, to my ears, there is more obvious Bond theme in both of Newman’s efforts (Skyfall in particular) than NTTD.

The music starting at 0:55 into the track. It continues until around the 2 minute mark.
    I was thinking of the low string ostinato and couldn't find it anywhere. I can see that it might be in fact the high-pitched Moog synth being the one referenced by Zimmer. Obviously with another tempo.

The music starting at 0:55 into the track. It continues until around the 2 minute mark.

I'll agree that bit sounds very OHMSS-ish (the high-pitched Moog really hits that vibe, as the other poster points out) but I still don't hear Gumbold's safe specifically. That theme the synth is playing is the "danger theme" or whatever we're calling it that most of the score is built around. Repurposed a ton of times, in a ton of tracks.

Don't get me wrong though, the OHMSS vibe in that track and others is glorious. And very likely a conscious reference/homage. I just can't quite hear any spots where/how Hans is lifting it directly, other than the obvious ones in Matera and Glad to Have You Back.
    I liked this score on the whole. But I think the theme songs have been atrocious since CR.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I am listening to Back To MI6, and I am asking myself why couldn't that have been the gun barrel theme, instead of what was used?

The rest of the score, save for the return of.... left me feeling cold, just the same generic sounding music that could be from any other film.
    Even though I have yet to watch the film, I really love the score. Been a Zimmer fan since Batman Begins. So, him scoring a Bond film is a dream come true. I got the Vinyl record for NTTD and heard the bonus tracks as well, which are quite nice, but cannot tell if they appear in the movie at all. But they sound different in comparison to the rest of the score. Still good though.
    Gettler wrote: »
    Even though I have yet to watch the film, I really love the score. Been a Zimmer fan since Batman Begins. So, him scoring a Bond film is a dream come true. I got the Vinyl record for NTTD and heard the bonus tracks as well, which are quite nice, but cannot tell if they appear in the movie at all. But they sound different in comparison to the rest of the score. Still good though.

I'd really like to know what those bonus tracks are.
  • Bernie99 wrote: »
    The Track "Home" is different in the movie, the hums are missing 2:04-2:44 in the movie, don't know why. It's also one of my favourite tracks

Edit: The Hums of the Track "I'll be right back" (2:43-3:05) made his way into the film

They now appear in the end credits.

• chrisesqetcchrisesqetc London
    Gettler wrote: »

I'd really like to know what those bonus tracks are.

On this website where you can purchase the LP, you can find free mini samples of the tracks to listen to: https://www.juno.co.uk/products/hans-zimmer-no-time-to-die-soundtrack/767130-01/

I have just played the 4 bonus Q tracks in full. While short and atmospheric, they sound like demos and I don't recall them being in the movie itself. Unfortunately there is nothing major of note IMO - e.g. no new version of Bond theme etc.
    Interresting, now I want to heat them in intregrality. Not have vinyl lector, why the bonus are only on the "outdated" technology...
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    There's a lot of music in the film that is not featured on the score, most notably Safin's attack.